Trip to the south/coal coast - Suggestions

jake_cresopoint's picture
jake_cresopoint started the topic in Monday, 15 Feb 2010 at 9:00am

Hey guys,

Im doing a one day roadtrip down the south/coal coast from Sydney this Saturday, it will be my first time down that way. Probably dont wanna go more than 1/2 hour past the gong.

Can anyone recommend any good placed to me? Do I have to pull off th highway at every town or is there a road that runs along the coast?

I will have the bird with me as well so any suggestions on where to stop for lunch ill be good.

Cheers,
Jake

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Monday, 15 Feb 2010 at 10:04am

Hey guys,

Im doing a one day roadtrip down the south/coal coast from Sydney this Saturday, it will be my first time down that way. Probably dont wanna go more than 1/2 hour past the gong.

Can anyone recommend any good placed to me? Do I have to pull off th highway at every town or is there a road that runs along the coast?

I will have the bird with me as well so any suggestions on where to stop for lunch ill be good.

Cheers,
Jake

By: "jake_cresopoint"

Hi Jake I asume from your avatar you come from Kempsey way you find it a little chilly down here and you will come to the understanding that NSW stands for Newcastle , Sydney and Wollongong nothing exists further south than Wollongong maybe Shell Harbour? Kiama. That's about half an hour, excite your girl friend show her the blow hole and the little blow just around the corner.
I tell you no secrets when I suggest Windang or Bone yards and Sandon point to the north of Wollongong there is a road that goes past every thing and you could try the sea cliff bridge. lots of spots, lots of people if you are from Crescent you can handle it.
PS the coastal roads are all tarred down her no like the Plomer rd. Enjoy!

jake_cresopoint Monday, 15 Feb 2010 at 10:44am

Hey mate,

Thanks for that.

Spot on im from up that way but live in Sydney now. Thanks for the tips, ill drop into those places you mention.

Hopefully there will be some swell.

Cheers,
Jake

bookster's picture
bookster's picture
bookster Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 7:48am

If it's more a sightseeing thing with a surf thrown in, you could head just past kiama to Gerringong... great spot up on top of the hill there to have lunch and sit enjoying the view (and check the surf at the same time).

dan_3's picture
dan_3's picture
dan_3 Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 9:55pm

Yeh do the whole scenic drive, starts at gerringong and goes through Gerroa down to Shoalhaven heads. Awsome drive, heaps of good surf and nice spots to to stop for lunch and stuff. Awsome part of the world down there.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 11:20pm

Go for it Jake. Just don't take too many people with you. Here is the vehicle the locals recommend:

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 11:28pm

Surf wagon, mediterranean style?

At least there's still room for one more board on the roof rack at the back :D

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 17 Feb 2010 at 11:53pm

"Airplane wings go in the trunk"

wiseman-designs's picture
wiseman-designs Thursday, 18 Feb 2010 at 2:13am

Hi Jake
I have a caravan down at Gerringong opposite Werri Beach and thoroughly recommend that area. it is about 1/2 hr past the Gong and much quieter. I have never experienced heavy crowds in the surf and this weekend it looks like the surf gods will be smiling! A bit further down the road is the crooked River Winery which has a cracking view and is a great place for lunch. There are a few shops in Gerringong for a sticky and Gerroa and Seven Mile are moments away. The Gerroa Boat and Fishermans club also has a wicked view for lunch or an early dinner and the prices are good too. I'd be surprised if you get through a meal the servings are that big.

goofy's picture
goofy's picture
goofy Thursday, 18 Feb 2010 at 2:19am

If your going to Gerringong don't forget your wallet...I bought a block of wax yesterday in the surf shop there $5.00!!!
I'm telling you, once the yuppies move into a town it's all over.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Thursday, 18 Feb 2010 at 3:02am

Just don't drink the wine at the Crooked River Winery. Blurgh. Most foul-tasting ever. Like Vinegar. Oh, they have "sweet" wine for the ladies. Like sickening sweet. Yes, I am a yuppie and I INSIST on paying $5.00 for a block of wax. It is my civic duty.

wiseman-designs Friday, 19 Feb 2010 at 12:01am

Clif, I couldn't agree more about the wine. It's all about the view though!

gjn_au's picture
gjn_au's picture
gjn_au Friday, 19 Feb 2010 at 1:04am

East Corrimal and Easties Beach Cafe. Good surf, good coffee & treats. Great chips, burgers, calimari & seafoods.