7 books you will psyche on and should totally read: What Youth

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Monday, 17 Feb 2014 at 9:08am

Here's a list that gladdens. What Youth and "7 books you will psyche on and should totally read."

http://www.whatyouth.com/2014/02/14/radical-class-2/?id=16859

I often bemoan the fact that good writing is a dying art. It ain't necessarily true but it sometimes feels that way. The yoof, it always seemed to me, could buy a Canikon for a couple hunge, flood the 'net with images, and call 'emselves artists - easy! But unlike photography there's no shortcut to good writing: no autofocus, no colour correcting software - it's hard fucken work. And the first step toward it is to read lots and lots of great writers. So yeah, glad to see the yoof - What Yoof! - spruiking seven good books. Bit limited in scope and style but a good list nonetheless.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Thursday, 22 Jun 2023 at 6:54am

Another great link Wilhelm. You might be surprised to know that I've taught out of the core books, intentionally.

If people were to ask where is a good place to start learning economics then I was going to link to the free core economics book The Economy.

I'd consider these books as very centre-left orthodox economics. They very much align with what I push for.

Maybe you won't like them now...!

Only comment I'd make is there's nothing new in them, just a nice arrangement of topics.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 20 Jul 2023 at 12:21pm

man, sticky territory, a novel with a writer as the protagonist.
I'd recommend the book I read with the kids a while ago, Bren Smith's Eat Like a Fish. Not an earth shattering book, but it's a weekend read, and does make you consider the idea of small-scale crofters having a go at vertical sea farming: growing seaweed towers that feed shellfish, and snicking various bounties from it to sell to local restaurants, etc.

Roystein's picture
Roystein's picture
Roystein Thursday, 20 Jul 2023 at 7:55pm

Cormac mentioned above, read The Road this month after being ignorant of its existence. Was deeply moved by it.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Thursday, 20 Jul 2023 at 10:13pm

The Road.
I N T E N S E

Had to take breaks while reading it. Like coming up for air (literally, not an Orwell ref)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 21 Jul 2023 at 9:36am
Roystein wrote:

Cormac mentioned above, read The Road this month after being ignorant of its existence. Was deeply moved by it.

Yep, a harrowing read but, for me at least, an uplifting one. Doesn't matter what happens in the future: asteroid strike, environmental collapse, a real virus, the goodwill of humans will prevail.

Is the fire real?
Yes it is.
Where is it? I don't know where it is.
Yes you do. It's inside you. It always was there.

I read it when it came out and enjoyed it. Read it again after my first son was born and it shook my world.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Friday, 21 Jul 2023 at 9:43am

I don't know if I could read that book again.... especially as a father. reading that quote above just about floored me, just like the book did the first time I read it.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 21 Jul 2023 at 11:45am

This talk about The Road has really piqued my interest.
I think I’ve seen the movie but I can’t really recall it.

Roystein's picture
Roystein's picture
Roystein Friday, 21 Jul 2023 at 12:33pm
etarip wrote:

The Road.
I N T E N S E

Had to take breaks while reading it. Like coming up for air (literally, not an Orwell ref)

i agree etarip. key segments at a time, pause, reflect, admire/be moved by the imprint it leaves, reset and go back in.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 21 Jul 2023 at 12:43pm
goofyfoot wrote:

This talk about The Road has really piqued my interest.
I think I’ve seen the movie but I can’t really recall it.

Must be PTSD. There's a few scenes in the film that I wish I could forget.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 21 Jul 2023 at 12:48pm

I've not read any Cormac McCarthy yet, perhaps wary of how dystopian I'd find it. What's a good McCarthy starter kit for the timid?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 21 Jul 2023 at 1:33pm
Island Bay wrote:

I've not read any Cormac McCarthy yet, perhaps wary of how dystopian I'd find it. What's a good McCarthy starter kit for the timid?

The Road is his only dystopian story. Most others are very traditional. In fact, The Road was an inversion all around. He usually conjures beautiful landscapes with elaborate sentence structures writing stories with violence at their core. Instead, The Road was grim and punctuated with very short sentences, as though the protagonists had no energy, but it has optimism at its core.

Starters? Any of The Border Trilogy - set in the US southwest border region - maybe begin with All The Pretty Horses and work through if you like it. Or perhaps Blood Meridian.

Keep in mind, he's an admirer of the US frontier and all the violence that happened there. He's a master stylist but all those novels mentioned are bloody.

Dont bother with his latest books, published just before he died. I've tried reading The Passenger but couldn't get into it.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 21 Jul 2023 at 2:52pm

Thank you, Stu.
I do enjoy the US frontier stuff, and thought it was brilliantly done in the film version of No Country for Old Men. Tommy Lee Jones was great, but I thought Bardem's killer was camp and overdone.
I shall go to our very good local library and start the journey.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 21 Jul 2023 at 6:11pm

IB - I reckon kick off with All The Pretty Horses or Old Country for Old Men. The first because it’s perhaps the more conventional novel and really highlights McCarthy’s incredible descriptive power. No Country because you might enjoy the comparison between the movie and the book. Subtly different but the Anton Chigur character is just so… malevolent…

But you can’t go wrong with either.

Blood Meridian is brutal and delves into the metaphysical. I love it but it’s hard going at times.

Edit: I’m going to summon up the courage and reread The Road.

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Saturday, 19 Aug 2023 at 12:43pm

Just finished Owen Wrights book. Surprisingly well written for a pro surfer (I suspected a ghost writer, but some of his expressions are perhaps a bit clumsy for it be written by a 'proper' author) ... nothing overly intellectual and a pretty easy book to get through. Definitely an inciteful and candid read and may help punters understand the entire Wright clan a little more. A fair bit on head trauma and some interesting insight into the mind / body connection. I had no idea of the challenges he overcame even after winning snapper. Grab a copy if you're interested.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Saturday, 25 Nov 2023 at 8:52pm

Danielle Laidley - Don’t Look Away

This was a mind blowing read. Incredibly worthy on many levels.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Monday, 4 Dec 2023 at 9:40am
stunet wrote:
Island Bay wrote:

The Road is his only dystopian story. Most others are very traditional. In fact, The Road was an inversion all around. He usually conjures beautiful landscapes with elaborate sentence structures writing stories with violence at their core. Instead, The Road was grim and punctuated with very short sentences, as though the protagonists had no energy, but it has optimism at its core.

Starters? Any of The Border Trilogy - set in the US southwest border region - maybe begin with All The Pretty Horses and work through if you like it. Or perhaps Blood Meridian.

Keep in mind, he's an admirer of the US frontier and all the violence that happened there. He's a master stylist but all those novels mentioned are bloody.

Dont bother with his latest books, published just before he died. I've tried reading The Passenger but couldn't get into it.

Agree 100% recommend starting with The Blood Meridian, The Crossing and all the Pretty Horses

And reading Cormack Maccarthy slowly - really slowly

Ben Elvy's picture
Ben Elvy's picture
Ben Elvy Monday, 4 Dec 2023 at 11:20am

I think "The Road" was my first Cormac McCarthy book. As a new father, it also rocked me very hard.
Have read most others and was going to get into "The Passenger" next. Notwithstanding Stu's comment above, his turn of phrase surpasses most other novelists, so in my mind it's worth a read all the same.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 3:24pm

Gabor Mate' - The Myth of Normal (Trauma, Illness & Healing in a Toxic Culture)

This is genuinely one of those books that everyone should read, sooner rather than later.

Roystein's picture
Roystein's picture
Roystein Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 9:32pm

Why Rabbits? Not being flippant just interested.
I’m on a second run through Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, resonates a lot.
Also have persevered with A Little Life by Hinya Yanagihara, a very moving work of fiction that underlines the integral part human relationships play in our lives

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 10:55pm
Roystein wrote:

Why Rabbits? Not being flippant just interested.
I’m on a second run through Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, resonates a lot.
Also have persevered with A Little Life by Hinya Yanagihara, a very moving work of fiction that underlines the integral part human relationships play in our lives

Hi Roystein. I’m reluctant to give it a detailed overview knowing that I won’t be able to do it justice. It’s a pretty meaty read. I say it’s a must read for everyone basically because it’s about why human’s are the way we are & how we’ve got to where we are today. It then offers some fascinating, realistic, proven ways to continue changing the course of human behavior going forward for the betterment of all but will require ongoing significant shifts from the status quo. It’s an incredibly interesting & positive read.

Roystein's picture
Roystein's picture
Roystein Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 11:05pm

Could be way off but sounds like it may kind of continue on from where Sapiens finished up
I’ll add it to my upcoming order for summer

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 19 Dec 2023 at 11:19pm
Roystein wrote:

Could be way off but sounds like it may kind of continue on from where Sapiens finished up
I’ll add it to my upcoming order for summer

Also, the depth of detailed research, interviews, first hand accounts etc etc is quite staggering. If you do get around to reading it I’d be interested in your take.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 20 Dec 2023 at 12:14pm

Read a heap of books this year. Not sure what to recommend.

Went back in the thread to see that I had started reading ‘The Dawn of Everything’ in January. Haven’t finished that. I’m sure I will, but it kept getting pushed back in the queue as interest waned. The ideas espoused thus far are compelling though.

I think I’ve only read a couple of books in my life that I haven’t finished, so the odds are good that I’ll finish it.

Started and finished ‘Homo Deus’, the follow-up to ‘Sapiens’ by Yuval Noah Harari. Sorry, I can’t recommend it. Whereas Sapiens was really interesting, this one just seems forced. Reads like a book written by a man desperately trying to write a follow-up after an unexpected success. Too many outright howler statements made which we seem to expect to take as fact, and far too much reaching for something interesting or dynamic. Literature is full of people who have posited a possible or likely future which has turned out to be diametrically different to what eventually comes. Perhaps this can be read as advice about how the future of mankind will NOT be.

The result being that my initial admiration for Mr Harari is somewhat tempered, or perhaps extinguished.

Currently reading ‘Factfulness’ by Hans Rosling. Longer title is ‘Ten reasons we’re wrong about the world - and why things are better than you think’.

So far it’s ok, but concentrates on things that I was familiar with (how rates of poverty have improved significantly in the past 50 years, childhood education, vaccination rates etc). Only half way through, and although it was first published in 2018 I doubt that the book will sufficiently tackle extant world problems we face, principally climate change and the seeming rise of authoritarian right wing government (in particular the problem of Donald Trump and his re-election prospects.) I also doubt that the book covers the problems of the mega-corporations and how they have basically overtaken democratic governments where they still exist. Or how the internet and social media seems to have led to the breakdown of societal norms and the atomisation of society. Big things, all of these, and seemingly intractable.

So perhaps the world is much better than we think, especially if you ignore problems that seem to have no real solutions (I count denial as not really being a problem solver).

Also on the go is ‘Sand Talk’, by Tyson Yunkaporta. I’ve decided this book is one to sip on occasionally and mull over, rather than read through immediately. Attempts to introduce Indigenous concepts and thinking to the non-indigenous mind. Good luck with that Tyson.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 20 Dec 2023 at 12:39pm

Will have to look through other books in the past year. Can highly recommend ‘Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas’. I had to read it, have only ever read excerpts or essays from HS Thompson, so this was a crawl back through missed history. A time capsule of sorts, short and sweet.

Also this year read quite a few fiction books which have only ever been a small part of my reading diet. Some years ago got onto Australian noir, and found to my surprise that we have a well established and largely fantastic group of writers. Was initially introduced via Jane Harper’s ‘The Dry’, but that was years ago. She put a new one out this year so had to be read. Anything of hers is fantastic.

That then put me onto others - Chris Hammer has done a series of books, regional Australia, crimes, skulduggery, heat. Everything of his is great but I’d recommend reading them in order. He put a new one out this year too.

Got put onto Garry Disher’s books, particularly the series revolving around Constable Hirschhausen. Just great reads. Read them in order too.

Read a batch of Peter Temple books too. Can’t recommend highly enough, just sparse language, as dry as the desert, and character filled stories. The Broken Shore’ and ‘Truth’ particularly, and a couple of the Jack Irish series. A great escape, which I can afford to indulge in these days.

Read a Dervla McTiernan one as well, I think it was ‘The Ruin’. Didn’t like it. Story was ok but the language was just wrong somehow. No colour in it, no style, hard to explain. I just don’t think she’s a good writer. Highlighted for me that good writing is more than a script, words on a page. There’s something about putting the writer’s soul into the book, and having that je ne sais quoi style and facility with language. I just don’t think she has it. That’s undoubtedly harsh though

arcadia's picture
arcadia's picture
arcadia Wednesday, 20 Dec 2023 at 1:37pm

The Broken Shore is great. Haven't read Truth, but will take a look.