Back to Back

ksurf's picture
ksurf started the topic in Monday, 13 Jan 2014 at 7:05pm

I've been a surfer now for forty years. Travelled the world many times and never thought that I wouldn't have surfing in my life. The last few years my back has become a pain. After many visits to Chiro and Physio I had an MRI scan which revealed two stress fractures in my lower back. A broken back. Terminal fractures. I was told my surfing days are over. I have been working on my core for a month now. Bought a Pilates machine. Bought a goddam SUP but haven't used it yet. Have now got Ostetis Pubis to boot which has inhibited my SUP career in the short term. Have any of you old bastards out there suffered from this problem and if so please tell me you are 'back' surfing and give me any tips towards a come'back' for my good self?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 13 Jan 2014 at 11:45pm

Sorry to hear that Ksurf, i dont have experience in in that myself yet 3 friends i grew up with broke their backs surfing a local spot here, they are all back surfing again and surf quality waves after being told they might never surf again.
If you like i will give you their email accounts, i dont know the details in what training they went through.

Good luck to you Ksurf, must be a tough time.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 14 Jan 2014 at 1:27am

Gidday Ksurf, I have had tons of experience helping people fix backs, with all sorts of problems. Including people that have been told they won't surf, and still do. Your injury isn't so bad, and is totally fixable. I have plenty of references, sometimes fixing botched surgeries, good surgeries, or sometimes helping people avoid supposedly necessary surgery. I like and believe in backing up what I say, so here, (much to the horror of some people). I guess you couldn't get much more serious than this, and this person is still surfing. You need to be totally positive, and totally accept your situation isn't so bad, compared to plenty of people.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p775/Uplifted/Pascale%20Back/UpliftR...

Every situation is different but there are also many similarities. You need a much improved blood supply to heal optimally, and you need to greatly improve bone strength and density. Most people inadvertantly do the opposite, understandably trying to protect the area. The extreme example is the cruel practice of docking animals tails. As simple as no blood, and the whole show whithers away and actually dies.

Imagine if you were a top athlete with the same issue. You would have multiple, daily rehab sessions, and maybe over 6 -12 months, without competing. Just rehab. The average person obviously can't do anything like that, yet wants an incredible result in weeks.

Anyway the ideal solution that simultaneously takes care of the above is to drastically strengthen the muscles involved. Core is not really abs, although they are important. It is more glutes, back, hamstrings, quads. The hinging structure. Glutes are the most powerfull muscles in the body, and lower back is literally an extension of them, works in conjunction with them, so has potential for huge strength and power, equals huge blood supply, bone density, and so, healing.

But you have to create that situation without creating further injury, or compression. And that is entirely possible. A blunt fact is that our culture is generally extremely weak in that region, easily demonstratable, and it is no suprise many people have bad backs. I show clients what is possible, not to humilate them, but to show them reality. But it can be very confronting for men to see petite women much, much stronger and fitter than them. However many are bouyed by that situation when they realise their exsisting strength can logically be much, much higher, and should be much, much higher than a fit, petite women's.

For instance I am presently helping a surfer who was advised flippantly to have back surgery costing around 30 grand, and who most people would consider is average strength, yet who can now see that he is far, far from it. Previously I wrote to him at his request, as he heard about other surfers I helped, with much detail about what to do, but was honest in telling him that I doubted his ability to really get it without seeing him in person, which we laugh about now. Plus, he admits that he is very impatient, and as soon as he feels better, pain free, does the opposite to what I tell him, and starts surfing and working, after only weeks, so its been a back and forth process. Finally he sees that he must allow six months of rehab, then he will have his whole life of surfing ahead. Well, thats what he says while he's here.

Anyway you can be fixed, but what I would advise is nothing like what you are thinking, and involves getting much, much stronger, and fitter than the regime you describe caters to. All the best.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 14 Jan 2014 at 6:18pm

Sounds good Uplift. How do you get on this program if you live a thousand klicks away?

sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose bea... Tuesday, 14 Jan 2014 at 7:00pm

stray-gator will be along shortly with your contact and training instructions

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Wednesday, 15 Jan 2014 at 11:28pm

Gidday freeride76, I don't think there's a way to contact like the previous pm. If there's a way they can give you my email then they can do that, and you can contact me and leave your number.

Its actually simple if you know what to do, but at the same time difficult if you don't. People think its big headed to say that I know heaps, its just experience. No different to calling the RAA and calling him a smartarse because he can actually, easily fix what most can't. The most important thing is finding the starting point, which is different for everyone, and honestly a bit hard to ascertain without seeing you. Mainly because of communication/conditioning and preconceptions. Its a laugh even PTing when you show people something, and if you can't see them for a while, watching what it has become, what was apparently 'said'. If you make contact, and you are serious/sincere, then I'll try to show you what I know, and would do. In the end, its up to you, I honestly don't mind what you decide.

What I do mind is like when some maggot on here pm'd me about the same thing, and called and we had several phone chats, where I was honest, no different to talking to a client walking in the gym. I offered to help him for free, which is honestly like a saving of a grand. Supposedly he was coming, really wanted to get into it, blah, blah, blah. And again, I don't mind either way what your's or anyone's choice is, in fact it is actually tiring helping people out of hours, as I work really hard, and look forward to my breaks. In the end I never heard a thing, so figured he changed his mind. But next thing, then I see the slimey maggot having a faggoty arse go at me online. Halleluja bretheren, perraaaaaaaise be the lord... while I shunt ye up the arse... in his name.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 9:00am

Alright, sounds good. Has Stu got it?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 10:24am

or simply visit to maisha sports and fitness webpage...ph num and email address

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 10:35am

Yeh, you could contact Maisha, and leave your details for 'Mick'. I don't really like doing private things through the business side like that though, its something the owners and I have agreed on. I can't remember if Swellnet has my email, if we had to provide it when registering. If not if there's an easy way for me to give it to them, and them to you, I'll do that. Otherwise, I'll do it through Maisha.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 10:43am

Gidday freeride76, I just contacted Swellnet through the 'Contact' link at the bottom of the home page, asking if they would provide my email address to you, which it appears they have.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 2:55pm

Hi uplift send it to me too I have a few things that might interest you.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 4:23pm

No worries blindboy, I have requested through 'Contact Us,' that swellnet supply it to you.

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 at 9:39pm

Hi uplift send it to me too, I have a few things that might interest you. The photos have come out really well. Really high definition.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 18 Jan 2014 at 8:39pm

Got your deets Uplift. Working nights this weekend, will email Mon.
Cheers.