Triathlons for non-triathletes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 7:25am

Decided on a whim late last week to enter the Kingy Triathlon, which ran yesterday.

Caveat: I've never done anything like this in my life before. Aside from a brief spell of tennis in high school, I've only ever surfed.

I had also done zero training.

Perhaps this was a mid-life crisis? I'm 49 now and determined to maintain some degree of fitness as I get old, despite the ever-present allure of quality dark ales and a local cheese factory around the corner.

I bought a pair of swimming goggles the day before the event, and did the whole thing in a pair of boardies, along with an old pair of runners and my low-end mountain bike.

Kinda felt like someone rocking up at six-foot Burleigh and rocking off with a foamie under the arm.

Fortunately, I ended up finishing without having to stop at all, and I didn't come last either (554 competitors in my division, I came 391).

Was great to see the inside of another sport too.. the whole triathlon scene is unreal, with lots of interesting, friendly people - and I can see how much fun it'd be to travel from event to event.

Holy smokes though, you reckon surfing is expensive? Some of the kit these people had...

Would I do it again? Yeah, I reckon it'll be fun to do this one every year as it's in my back yard. Scored a pretty decent rash from my boardies though so I reckon I'll probably invest in a pair of pants, and also borrow a road bike too (had a sympathetic competitor pull alongside me on the cycling part, and say "jeez I really feel sorry for you on that mountain bike, mate" before streaking ahead).

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 7:27am

Coming into the finish line....

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 7:42am

Wow good effort.
I did triathlons and half iron man’s during my 30’s, still surfed. A lot of training involved, I always ran and swam but the bike was my weakness. Bought a good $4k bike made it easier. Used to do some crazy stuff, 5k swims in the pool, 100k ride then 20k run straight after, plus gym work.
Can become a obsession.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 8:07am

Thats a damn good effort with no training Ben!

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 8:18am

If you wanted to do some more could always join the local tri club, they have 600mm, 20k, 5k tri's usually monthly.
Good way to get tips and meet people.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 8:55am

Very solid effort with no training. Well done.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 9:01am

I gotta say great effort! Well done.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 4:07pm

Well done, Ben!

What were the distances?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 7:59pm

100m swim, 1km bike, 500m run.

Nah, in all seriousness it was the Sprint - 750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run.

All of which are pretty easy as solitary events. But all together with the clock ticking and no break was much different.

The next level up is the real deal.. 1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10km run. Those guys (and girls) are nuts.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 8:08pm

Very impressive.
How are the DOMS today?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 8:34pm

The doms?

Not sure what you mean.. I am a proper entry level kook at triathlons! Not quite up with the lingo yet.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 25 Mar 2024 at 8:54pm

Delayed onset muscle soreness.

The pains you get a day or two later when you work muscles that haven’t been worked in a long time.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 26 Mar 2024 at 5:50am

Ah yeah been sore yesty, still feeling it this morning though it's not too bad, I reckon I could almost surf today.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Tuesday, 26 Mar 2024 at 11:51am

"chest freezer needed?"

Pb's all the way and no injuries, the new Trevor Hendy.
Heart rate monitor for training and a cheap roadie plus budgie smugglers. Burls and Bud1 got any fitness enlightenment and motivation for the masses? HEALTH is invaluable and a worthy investment no matter the level obtained. Charge it.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/health/health-conditions-and-risks/wai...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 26 Mar 2024 at 12:51pm

Yeah Sunday's run was my PB.

Not sure about the budgie smugglers though... Wouldn't be a good look with this dad-bod. I'm happy to accept a slight downgrade in hydrodynamics.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 26 Mar 2024 at 1:37pm

Your too modest Ben, budgies all the way ....................

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Tuesday, 26 Mar 2024 at 2:04pm

The initial shock, humiliation and humour of the shunned budgie smuggler or wetty shorts will accelerate fitness gains through short term psychological difficulties and amusement. A mental fortitude and advantage at the expense of others ;) Pb's all the way. And a plateau of acquired fitness realised.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 26 Mar 2024 at 3:22pm

Nice work Ben, and not too sore to follow! Good base fitness.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 26 Mar 2024 at 3:32pm

Base fitness? Shit, I thought this was a brief annual peak in activity.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 26 Mar 2024 at 3:37pm

Preparation regime up there with Joe Strummer.

Though the legend says Joe necked ten pints before running the London Marathon.

monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy Tuesday, 26 Mar 2024 at 4:00pm

Bloody well done ! It's an addictive pastime - stick with it and it will take you all over the world into interesting locations with incredible people.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Tuesday, 26 Mar 2024 at 8:08pm
thermalben wrote:

Yeah Sunday's run was my PB.

Not sure about the budgie smugglers though... Wouldn't be a good look with this dad-bod. I'm happy to accept a slight downgrade in hydrodynamics.

Well, at least you don't need a swimming cap,. ;)
Well done,
cue the Chariots of Fire theme.

BRAVOsurf's picture
BRAVOsurf's picture
BRAVOsurf Wednesday, 27 Mar 2024 at 8:45am

Great work mate! As a 'slightly fit but never ripped' 40-odd year old I have entered a few Tri's over the past few years. Started with the Goldy & Kingy sprint tri's for a couple of times with a couple of weeks warm up training, and have now done the past 4x Noosa Tri's.... Even with 3 months committed training (1-2 hours every day) the Noosa is my absolute limit. I am still torn whether the sore legs that make surfing a punish for weeks on end is worth it....But the feeling of achievement at the finish line and that first beer (kinda) makes it all a memory.

Follow Clint Kimmins to see what's actually possible when you're dedicated.. To see him ride 100+ k's pre dawn just to stretch the legs, and then throw finners like a 16 year old grom or charge 50ft Nazare is truly inspiring.

ashsam's picture
ashsam's picture
ashsam Wednesday, 27 Mar 2024 at 7:35pm

Did a fair few Forster half Ironmans, the bike ride back into Forest into the northerly was a killer.
Best was 3:40
2km 90km 21km
Qualified for the Australian full Ironman for my age group but didn’t take it on.
One of life’s regrets lol

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 27 Mar 2024 at 8:30pm

The 2XU (formerly the Gatorade) tri series in Melbourne is good fun for any Vic people looking for some exercise. Done 3 of the Olympic distance ones now and its always been a good day out.
The one negative is having the swim leg in St Kilda marina, the water quality is foul, baffles me why they choose that.