Botany Nerds Ahoy

seeds's picture
seeds started the topic in Saturday, 29 Jul 2023 at 1:40pm

Seems a keen interest for some, so why not.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 27 Sep 2023 at 4:13pm

Ackee I think Fitz?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 27 Sep 2023 at 5:25pm

Doesn't look like it @craig.

Ackee foliage look different and fruit is way bigger.

Foliage on my plant has jagged edged leaves, fruit about $1 coin size, the black inside is like lots of mini berry's like caviar.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 27 Sep 2023 at 7:38pm

Aghh, Google image search let me down ha.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 27 Sep 2023 at 10:10pm
fitzroy-21 wrote:

Here's another one from the same spot. Fruit is about the size of a dollar coin. Can anyone identify please?

plant-5
plant-6

Fitzroy-21. Hi mate. Looks like a species of Diploglottis
Leaves with partial jagged margins. See what others think, I’m not home, got no references. AW

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 28 Sep 2023 at 5:23am

AW are you O R landscaping?

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 28 Sep 2023 at 7:24am
AlfredWallace wrote:
fitzroy-21 wrote:

Here's another one from the same spot. Fruit is about the size of a dollar coin. Can anyone identify please?

plant-5
plant-6

Fitzroy-21. Hi mate. Looks like a species of Diploglottis
Leaves with partial jagged margins. See what others think, I’m not home, got no references. AW

Greenjam would be the person to help identify, he’s a forester and he’s worked in East Arnhem Land
recently.AW

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 28 Sep 2023 at 8:39am

Hi AW,
Whilst searching through images of Diploglottis, they weren't quite right, BUT, the images pointed me towards Pittosporum.
Through that search, it turns out that it is Pittosporum moluccanum (Atlas Moth Plant). Whilst the foliage in the images aren't exactly the same, the flowers and fruit are definitely same.
https://www.territorynativeplants.com.au/pittosporum-moluccanum
Thanks.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 28 Sep 2023 at 8:50am

Thats why it looked familiar to me.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 28 Sep 2023 at 9:07am

Fitz, that was my first reply and then I changed ha!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 28 Sep 2023 at 9:16am
Craig wrote:

Fitz, that was my first reply and then I changed ha!

Haha, all good Craig. You got the first plant (Kopsia) and I had been google searching unsuccessfully for weeks on that one.
That second one (pittosporum) had me fascinated with the fruit. Wasn't game enough to taste it though :).
Thanks all for the input.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Thursday, 28 Sep 2023 at 3:26pm

Gday all. Yeah, I was thinking some form of Pittosporum from the image. Not familiar with the moluccanum species, but looks like the right ID.

A favourite Pittosporum I grow here is P. angustifolium, also known as Gumbi Gumbi/Native Apricot. Check it out, its a really attractive looking small tree, fine-leaved drooping foliage, very hardy, and been a bit in the news with some cancer curing claims. Actually, I think I've mentioned it on here before...
https://tuckerbush.com.au/gumbi-gumbi-pittosporum-angustifolium/

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 28 Sep 2023 at 7:48pm
basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 8:39am

^^ wooooah!

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 11:28am
seeds wrote:

How cool is this
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-28/quoll-thought-extinct-found-south...

Seeds. Howdy. I saw my first one in the Midlands in Tassie 15 years ago en route to Launceston. About 7am in February, a car about 1km in front of us clipped a male animal, left it for dead, we pulled over, i picked it up, cradled in my arm, still very warm, i couldn’t believe how heavy and how large it was.
I’d never seen one before, and for the first time, the only encounter i have is a dead one ,it infuriated me that someone could leave such a majestic animal for dead and just fucked off, i was in tears the whole time i held it. The spots and its port wine colour was something to behold.

It’s often said you should always wear your heart on your sleeves, well here it is. AW

IMG-0156

TRIVIA The only Australian animal with a spot on its tail.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 11:32am

Sweet.

Arachnids get a bad press around here but this little friendly lime green jumping spider was a pure delight.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 11:37am

Cool spider!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 11:40am

I know, almost looks psychedelic.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 11:47am

This is interesting that a quoll was caught on a cam at Yaroomba recently. I thought they were gone around here.
I owned a block of land at Brooloo, Mary Valley, in the 90’s We used to camp there. Permanent creek flowing through with rainforest. Went once and in an old cast iron bath we had up on bricks to light a fire under, there was a dead quoll. I think even back then the were supposed to be extinct in the area.

“Records of both the spotted-tailed quoll (Dasyurus maculatus) and northern quoll (Dasyurus hallucatus) exist in the Mary River Catchment region from 30–35 years ago; however, no confirmed sightings of either type of quoll in the area were reported until a spotted-tailed quoll (possibly a vagrant) was seen on a council camera at Yaroomba in 2021.
Both quoll species are listed as nationally endangered under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.”

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 11:56am

Beautiful Steve!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 12:01pm
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 12:13pm
freeride76 wrote:

Sweet.

Arachnids get a bad press around here but this little friendly lime green jumping spider was a pure delight.

Freeride76. Great photo, love spiders, here’s a few from around here of late. All on iPhone.AW

IMG-2335
IMG-1789
IMG-1776
IMG-1455
IMG-1460
A Badge Huntsmen inside a plastic forestry tube.

IMG-1408
IMG-1269
IMG-0486
IMG-0020
IMG-0756
IMG-0707

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 12:20pm

People might need a trigger warning on that post there AW ;p

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 12:26pm
Craig wrote:

People might need a trigger warning on that post there AW ;p

Craig. Hi, shit, didn’t think of that. Arachnids, what great biodiversity. AW

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 12:42pm

Nice one AW.

Spiders don't bother me at all- mostly.

I had a hand sized huntsman living in my old Camry that occ used to do a tour of the car at night when I was driving.
I was praying it wouldn't drop onto my head.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 12:57pm
freeride76 wrote:

Nice one AW.

Spiders don't bother me at all- mostly.

I had a hand sized huntsman living in my old Camry that occ used to do a tour of the car at night when I was driving.
I was praying it wouldn't drop onto my head.

Freeride76. Hi. Yep, i simply don’t understand the fear with spiders, all preconceived notions.

Whats it with Camry’s and spiders, i have a mate who had the old syndrome of the huge Huntsmen dropping down from the visor, bailed mid grid of a busy city intersection.

My Ute has more biodiversity than some natural systems, im not a car cleaner or washer.
Years ago i had HX Holden utes when landscaping, one day i decided to clean the cabin, pulled the bench seat forward and saw i had my own door to door linear patch of turf grass beautifully growing, Tall Fescue seed from a box had gone down the back of the seat, rear window seal was a little leaky, an accumulation of soil and bark on the floor, all the ingredients for a lawn. AW

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 1:03pm

hahahaahah.

I think certain types of mould possibly hallucinogenic can grow on that Fescue.

I've heard of it affecting livestock.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 1:07pm

I'm pretty sure this one is as easy as it looks.
Just a bit weird it was all on it's own, in some low lying occ. flooded swamp where I have got some great frog recordings.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 1:29pm
freeride76 wrote:

I'm pretty sure this one is as easy as it looks.
Just a bit weird it was all on it's own, in some low lying occ. flooded swamp where I have got some great frog recordings.

Freeride76. Interesting your comment about Fescue fungi.
Nice photo of the ti-tree

Leptospermum polygalifolium , maybe.. AW

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 1:37pm

yeah, coastal ti-tree.

just used to seeing them in stands.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 1:58pm

What about this medium sized tree AW, or anyone.

Bees absolutely going ballistic on these shows of small, creamy flowers.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:04pm

Magpies have taken a bath today (first time) - is this an omen for the AFL final?

Lots of flowering going on, cherry is going to have so much fruit this year, kangaroo paw is in fine form.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:09pm
freeride76 wrote:

What about this medium sized tree AW, or anyone.

Bees absolutely going ballistic on these shows of small, creamy flowers.

Do you think it’s a native ? If its an exotic it looks very similar to Viburnum odoratissimum, planted a plenty in my time.AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:14pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

Magpies have taken a bath today (first time) - is this an omen for the AFL final?

Lots of flowering going on, cherry is going to have so much fruit this year, kangaroo paw is in fine form.

VJ. Hi mate. Glad to hear your Maggie’s have taken a bath.
I sincerely hope its not an omen for tomorrow, I’m a long time Collingwood supporter, the result of an uncle who threw a magpies beanie in my bassinet in Apollo Bay hospital. Still have it. Hope your family is doing well. AW.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:22pm

Not sure it's native AW.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:23pm

could that be a coastal almond FR?

and loving the quoll stories - an absolute favourite native animal for me. I wish I could have one as a pet. I hadnt heard about the Yaroomba sighting Seeds - that's awesome. I wonder if its home would be the rocky areas around Mt Coolum. That is their preferred type of habitat. Part of the reason I like to trek into such rocky mountainous areas very early mornings - always hoping to catch a glimpse of one. No luck yet in these parts. But did see plenty when in Tassie. And I'm not surprised about the Brooloo example, I reckon they are still around these parts, just very elusive. And I did hear a story that Parks had a confirmed sighting in this general area a couple of years ago, but they were very cagey about revealing the actual location.
This latest discussion has reinstated my intent to stash my trail camera up on the mountain where I believe they must be, leave it for a week or so, and then retrieve. I find its always exciting checking through what you've captured

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:33pm

GJ, Which mountain. Give us a cryptic clue.
Free ride at first I thought it was an Emerald Lustre but not sure

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:37pm

Thats the tree I thought was a coastal almond GJ.

Now I'm not so sure.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:37pm

Looks like Terminalia catappa Coastal Almond has a different inflorescence and different shape flowers with pointy petals.
Viburnum odoratissimum inflorescence has rolled back petals like in FR76 photo. Who knows. AW

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:41pm

GJ. love ya love for Spot-tailed Quolls, the Dasyurids, what a great family of marsupials. I wish they were as widespread today as they were prior European settlement. AW

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:43pm

Cheers Alfred. Good luck to your team! Huge amounts of fruit on everything we have in the garden presently. After 3 wet years of La Nina they've had a dry one and have responded with abundant fruit. It's flower and bee paradise at the moment.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:44pm

in that case, I too would lean towards a viburnum - unfortunately, as I really dont like them. Looks pretty good I know, but just a weed in my opinion (I'm quite a firm natives man...)

seeds - aah, named after a rock, next to a mother of a mountain... that likely makes it pretty obvious. But all good, I dont see big crowds flocking there anytime soon. I rarely encounter any others on my dawn treks. I recommend it though, and there's the option of a brisk wash off in the creek after the walk

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:46pm

and cool tat AW. I also have a love of the tassie tiger - hoping it is still hanging on out there... I was close to getting a tat of it when I lived in tassie, but didnt and remain a cleanskin

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:52pm

Thanks GJ
And CARN THE LIONS
Kick some arse just like 20 years ago

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 3:03pm
GreenJam wrote:

in that case, I too would lean towards a viburnum - unfortunately, as I really dont like them. Looks pretty good I know, but just a weed in my opinion (I'm quite a firm natives man...)

seeds - aah, named after a rock, next to a mother of a mountain... that likely makes it pretty obvious. But all good, I dont see big crowds flocking there anytime soon. I rarely encounter any others on my dawn treks. I recommend it though, and there's the option of a brisk wash off in the creek after the walk

GJ. Ditto, early 90’s that Viburnum was very popular for hedging in Victoria, as a landscaper in large cities, it was ‘trending’ as young folk would say today. I agree I’m strictly a local flora person first and foremost, second to native plants in general.
It’s very pleasing that we have a bevy of surfers who all share similar interests in life, it’s very encouraging and brings music to my ears. I think its a reflection of where it all started, beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Good stuff. AW

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 2:57pm

GJ I know of where you speak;)

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 3:08pm
GreenJam wrote:

and cool tat AW. I also have a love of the tassie tiger - hoping it is still hanging on out there... I was close to getting a tat of it when I lived in tassie, but didnt and remain a cleanskin

GJ. Other arm.AW

IMG-2642

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 4:01pm

awesome AW - another real favourite! They've been in abundance around here lately. Big ones. Can be a little annoying with all the digging, but I can handle it. Quite incredible the size of the rocks they can budge, some that I've had to use a wheelbarrow to move a singe rock, they seem to get under and nudge aside.

just two evenings ago, I was wandering around just after dusk, a bit of spotlighting here and there, and actually heard an echidna before I saw it. An unusual low groaning sound, looked around, and here was one fixated on digging under a decent sized rock. I think we must be a hotspot for them here, I see them very often. Which is great.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 29 Sep 2023 at 7:58pm

Yeah, same here.

Always get a visit from echidnas on the full moon.

Beautiful creatures.

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Saturday, 30 Sep 2023 at 7:12am
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Saturday, 30 Sep 2023 at 7:44am

Mr.Brown and I meet again.AW

IMG-2639