HNY 2023... whatcha gonna do?

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 7:33am

Happy New Year everyone, thanks for all of your support - we're really grateful to be able to do what we do. Lots of stuff planned for this year too, which we'll fill you in on over the coming months.

Personally, I'm gonna work hard at getting my fitness back after a patchy couple of years. I'm also gonna try a few different kinds of board shapes this year - I've always been reluctant to switch around too much, and I reckon it's been to my detriment as it's now quite obvious that my local surf conditions vary more than I'd given it credit for.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 7:57am

All the best for 2023 everyone.

Still dark here- From now, I've put the laundry on and im gonna walk dogs and just as I get home, the first sunrise of the year should just be peeking over the horizon.

This year will be a year of change for me. I am looking to diversify and get a couple of things going that had been on the backburner for the last couple of years.

I want to surf more, continue laying off the piss and I want to buy a crossbow.

Peace to you all.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 8:06am

Happy NY to all in the Swellnet community. Currently just past halfway through a 6 month sabbatical with the family. In Italy visiting wifey’s family and off to Portugal and Morocco next before returning to Aus. Also moving the family base after 4 years in Port Mac down to Newy. Hope everyone has a great ‘23 and it’s the year the world sorts it shit out...ha...probably not...

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 8:37am

Happy new year...
Love this site, thanks for all the work. Hope 2023 is kind to you all....

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 8:45am

HYN all. Love ya work Swellnet. I'm going to invest in some new sunnies, because after the last few years the futures so bright, I gotta wear shades...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 9:37am

Here you go Westy, greetings from Japan.

First sunrise 2023.

flip a coin

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 9:43am

Happy new year all , my resolution is to stretch 3 times a day . The poor old back doesn’t like paddling anymore .

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 9:45am

Onya Zen, thanks and all the best. Sore wa utsukushī hinode zendesu

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 10:03am

Nihongu jouzu Westy san.

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 10:12am

happy new year ‘ hope it’s a solid one
id like to spend more time doing
less time pondering

soggydog's picture
soggydog's picture
soggydog Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 10:44am

Happy New Year Swellnet crew,
I’m just going to try and be better/happier ……..I might need some shades too Westy.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 1 Jan 2023 at 2:44pm

Happy New Year, y'all!

I'll do my best to make 2023 a better year than the previous three. Some personal gains and successes, but the world is generally a shittier place, and every little thing and effort counts, I reckon.

Old age dictates that I must also attend to my falling-apart cadaver. We'll see how that goes.

On the surfing side, I'll keep the relationship going with my local obsession, and also do some more road- and boat day trips. There are a few spots that would be well and truly out of my comfort zone, and I'll at least have a look at them.

Finally, I want to get back to Europe and see family and friends for the first time since the Wuhan bat virus struck.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 7:45am

Wishing everyone here, and everywhere else, a better year ahead. Doesn’t have to be perfect, just better.

Planning on continuing my slow down in drinking. I’m about 8 weeks in now and Jack Daniels doesn’t quite have the grip it’s had on me.

Pool laps when I can’t surf or body surf. Been back doing that for a few weeks. It’s working.

Put a serious effort into reducing the flab. There isn’t much there but I’m hating it. Flatten out that stomach.

Incidental exercise and movement, just get in the habit of doing little short bursts of exercise when I have a moment - sit ups and leg raises in bed first thing, knee lifts when waiting for coffee, just those little efforts as well as more substantial exercise.

Surf more.

Get my golf handicap back to single figures, and stay there.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 7 Jan 2023 at 10:10pm

Wishing all of you all the best in the New Year, it's like a band of elder brothers here, and I never had that so there's a bit of looking up to you all, cheers!

Plans:

Go backward and forward across the continent and encounter experiences where they happen, like Caine from Kung Fu. With children, parents and friends on all sides, it feels like being pulled in all directions, go as the wind would take you.

Pretty confident I unlocked the body heal/better/healthy path in this last half year, continue this. I've learned so much since going through life challenging stuff about half way through the last decade - what paths were opened up to me, what teachers/guides appeared... Go after the tech and develop things, build and create: seek perfection in design. Wait patiently to post up the 'Reject the Recession' dancers on Swellnet - if they are needed.

Geeked myself out snorkelling over an old shipwreck over the new year, I was counting frames and bulkheads as much as fish, lol. We've also had acceptable rivermouth surf with a bit of punch so far this year: hope you all get yours.

Happy new year all.