Shingles

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 3:09pm

Anyone had 'em before?

Had a bit of a crook neck last Monday, persisted into Tuesday then migrated to a headache that night and into Wednesday (headaches are rare for me, too). Felt a smidge worse Thursday, then Friday noticed a few small red marks appearing near my shoulder. That night it developed into a full blown rash across my shoulder and chest.

Yep, I've got Shingles.

Gotta say, the pain is bad, but in a weird way. I've got a permanent dull ache across my shoulder, as if the collarbone has been broken. There are occasional sharp shooting pains from my shoulder up into my neck. The rash should be itchy, but it isn't (yet!). So right now I'm feeling the opposite of what I thought it'd be like.

Not looking forward to the scabs falling off, either.

I'm on antibiotics, but the pain relief medication isn't doing much (apparently this is common, for nerve pain?). Not keen to go higher than Panadeine Forte either.

So, at the risk of scaring the crap out of myself, has anyone else had this? I've already heard a few stories, from "worst pain of my life, for a month" through to "moderate annoyance for a week". Apparently Shingles can re-occur down the track too, though there is a vaccine available (I'm outside of the eligible rebate age bracket, so apparently it costs $280).

Either way, I'm not looking forward to the next fortnight. Already had four terrible nights of sleep.

Only good news is that my kids won't have to go through this, as they've been vaccinated against Chicken Pox.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 3:35pm

Sounds horrible, wishing you a speedy recovery....

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 3:47pm

havent had it Ben, but I hear the strong medical grade Manuka honey on the rash may help. It has helped me with other strange painful skin rashes arising after tick bites

and at risk of getting attacked on here, it would seem your immune system is slightly compromised at present (allowing the old chicken pox virus to reemerge), perhaps a result of covid and/or the vaccines, or is it the other way around... The spike in shingles cases is undeniable.

all the best with it

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 3:49pm

Bad luck Ben, it's horrid. It can return when you get run down, so something to keep an eye out for.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 3:54pm
GreenJam wrote:

and at risk of getting attacked on here, it would seem your immune system is slightly compromised at present (allowing the old chicken pox virus to reemerge), perhaps a result of covid and/or the vaccines, or is it the other way around... The spike in shingles cases is undeniable

Certainly quite likely that my immune system is compromised, though to be honest I've been running at 150% for about twenty years now. Ironically, early last week when it all kicked off, I was very relaxed, camping down the coast with family and friends!

But I've been aware for a while that I need to slow down. Recently had my knee go on me, also had to get glasses for the first time, etc. Not enjoying this slow decent into middle age (I'm 47).

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 4:13pm

yep, I hear you. similar age and recent major work stress/overload plus a peak in medical issues leading to an operation, I'm currently in a phase of active slow down. It is going reasonable well. Managing the stress is key...

I'd also recommend getting lots of vit C powder into you 3xday, a zinc supplement, something like olive leaf extract or high-absorption turmeric supplement, coconut oil on the rash may also help, and some medical cannabis to help ease the pain and support better sleep while you battle this one. Cheers.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 4:16pm
thermalben wrote:
GreenJam wrote:

and at risk of getting attacked on here, it would seem your immune system is slightly compromised at present (allowing the old chicken pox virus to reemerge), perhaps a result of covid and/or the vaccines, or is it the other way around... The spike in shingles cases is undeniable

Certainly quite likely that my immune system is compromised, though to be honest I've been running at 150% for about twenty years now. Ironically, early last week when it all kicked off, I was very relaxed, camping down the coast with family and friends!

But I've been aware for a while that I need to slow down. Recently had my knee go on me, also had to get glasses for the first time, etc. Not enjoying this slow decent into middle age (I'm 47).

Always the way. You finally relax and you get sick.
You’ve been in chronic fight flight, and the hyper-adrenal state actually protects you from illness, then you sit back, relax and the rest of your immune system has been depleted and doesn’t protect you as well as it could.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 4:56pm

Here's where I'm at right now.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 5:07pm

Got them in my early 30s starting day 1 of a 2 week trip to the sth coast. Dr confirmed shingles day 3 of the trip in Merimbula. Drove home and spent next 2weeks in bed. Right shoulder, neck and up to my face covered in tiny pimple like blisters. Very sharp shooting pain up my neck to my face every time I moved my right arm or shoulder. Nothing you can do but bunker down and rest Ben, good luck.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 5:09pm

Wow just saw that photo, bloody hell, take care

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 6:16pm

I had them early last year. Along the top of my eye and towards the temple. I thought it was just a couple of mossie bites at the start. They never got superficially bad, a bit scabby at worst. But the pain was not enjoyable. As you said Ben, a constant kinda dull pain. Like I was getting punched in the eye but from inside out. Doctor said it's lucky as they usually only attack one nerve or soemthing. If it had spread to the eye - no bloody bueno.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 6:43pm

Jeez, that looks horrible.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 8:31pm
Nick Bone wrote:

I had them early last year. Along the top of my eye and towards the temple. ......Like I was getting punched in the eye but from inside out. Doctor said it's lucky as they usually only attack one nerve or soemthing. If it had spread to the eye - no bloody bueno.

Had them on the face too. Got under my eyelids. Felt like a combination of being jabbed in the eye with a stick and having the eyeball getting a light rub over with 40 grit.

jedi old mate's picture
jedi old mate's picture
jedi old mate Monday, 14 Nov 2022 at 10:38pm

Hey Ben,
I also had them last year. Rash wasn’t too bad just a bit on my chest and back. I kept my sores dressed with fixamull and Manuka honey under it to stop it from drying and me scratching it. My worst symptoms for me were really bad fevers and head aches as well as nerve pain in my back rather than a rash. The doc loaded me up with anti-inflammatory’s and some anti-virals I think and they took the edge of a little bit. I had a few other health problems at the time but I was pretty easily the sickest I’ve ever been. I was properly bed ridden and absolutely exhausted for at least 2 weeks but probably felt it’s lingering effects for at least a month or 3.
Just try to rest up and take it easy even when your feeling a bit better as it may linger for longer than expected.
I feel for you and hope it’s not too painful.

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Tuesday, 15 Nov 2022 at 2:34am

I got them a while ago when i was 21. After id had a bad bout of glandular fever, a sinus infection bla bla then was at the doctor about something else and said btw this rash started appearing yesterday. he immediately said it was shingles and got me on medication. So in a way i got lucky by getting on top of it very early and so avoided getting it too bad.
as someone above wrote, for me it was very much at a time when my immune system was a bit shit.
the more i hear about long covid and all the different effects it reminds me of what i went through back then.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 17 Nov 2022 at 9:32pm

Boss leads by example + Crew's Shingles diagnosis & symptoms is first rate...Excellent Med Advice!
Stress > Sunburn > Virus > Vax > Age ...all compromise immune system to bring on a bout of Shingles.

Not contagious unless touched by Unvaxed C' Pox > Contracts similar Virus > Chicken Pox
Keep away from Pregnant Women.
1/3 Aussies > 1/2 to 80 years will get shingles
99.5% 50+ have the Virus > At further risk by residing with immuno suppressed
25% get PHN ( Nerve Pain ) For months > Years > Life

Main stream Med reports confirm wot crew say about Covid + Covid Vax increasing Shingles!
Link a few mainstream med media reports for Ben & Crew to verify the immuno suppression link.

[+] 15-20% higher risk
https://www.auckland.ac.nz/en/news/2022/08/16/If-youve-had-Covid-look-ou...
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/covid-19-linked-to-higher-shin...

Covid Vax - Incubation period of 'many Vaxes' increases Shingles risk.
https://www.healthline.com/health/covid-vaccine-herpes#vaccines-and-shin...

No shortage of disruptions to immune systems that are mandated or simply part of the Family Life.

Like the crew ...
Family break Up > Aged 13 tbb also suffered (Mystery) Glandular condition in Hospital for weeks
Got out & immediately after got shingles on side rib cage/s

Note Ben is modelling his Shingles on one side only...( Mostly targets one side )
Experts say it's just the one side but you can get a lesser patch on opposite side...tbb had both sides!
Can recall many convincing tbb it was just the one side, only tbb still have the spot scars on both sides?

Bizarre how folk go around transplanting false memories...who does that? + How is that a real Job!

Pain / Itching remains after rash...sufferers will likely suffer torment on both sides rash or not!
Insane extreme Itching & nerve racking with shock like shivers shooting from the shingles patch.
Oddly also up the back which would contort & writhe yer body...nasty it is! Can & will drive you insane.

tbb's 1976 Treatment was buckets of Calamine Lotion + Do not bust the blisters.
New Prescription swear Lotions makes it worse...tbb can agree, it sure felt like that.
Reckon it lasted about a month...

Relapse! You can occasionally get one or two smaller episodes in same area over time.
Each mostly a random solo blister or open welt, is of less concern each time over 5 > 10 > 20 years.

As for scarring...
Over 20 years the scarring may leave darker mole like spots but loses the patchy lumpy texture

Around 30 years maybe the last rare exposed itch in that area of almost zero consequence!
Meaning you may still scratch an isolated itch of one of the spots...not more & not for long!
It is weird that outta the blue ya get an urge to scratch that itch & break the flesh. (Yes! Occasionally!)
Kinda like a Hot Spot Release Valve for yet pet Shingles Bug to get a breath of fresh Air...off ya go!

40 years on are slight freckle like small bumps of no real concern...resisting the urge to scratch. (Kinda!)

If any are concerned over aesthetics...eg: as in scars on yer face!
If you go in the sun often, these spots may grow darker with tan...like sun spots & moles.
Interesting...as sufferers are meant to keep outta the Sun / Bright Lights.

Even now...Beach crew or close family members may ask what are those patch of spots...
Shingles do leave their mark for longer thru life.

Queue at the Hillsong Cure All Caravan & beg for Pastor Morrison's Free Shingles Vax..
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBsSViDUcBseRkY?format=jpg&name=900x900
Nov 2016 - 31st Oct 2023 ~ Oz seniors 71-79 yrs ( Recall the Rollout of TV ads)

How to treat...Health Direct has great info on Shingles Treatment (Regime)
https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/shingles#:~:text=There%20is%20no%20cure%....

Shingles Jingles + Q&A
https://www.knowshingles.com.au/

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 25 Nov 2022 at 7:08am

Clearing up now Ben ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 25 Nov 2022 at 7:20am

The rash and blisters are on the way down now, but the nerve pain cranked up again this week (after subsiding a little last week). And the itchiness is off the hook.

Not a lot of fun at all.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 6:30am

An update: it's now 7.5 weeks since the first onset of pain kicked in, and the last few days have been the first time I've felt that I may have recovered to a reasonable degree - though I'm still taking daily pain medication (Gabapentin 3x times a day, and then Nurofen through the day as required for flare-ups).

Most of the itchniess has been gone for a few weeks but the nerve pain has been very slowly subsiding since about the start of December - but the degree of pain when it starts shooting is way more manageable.

I've taken the kids out surfing a few times over the last week, but yesterday was my first proper surf (fitness is way down thanks to a few months out of the water) and there were no major issues, so I reckon I can get back on the horse. Energy levels have taken a major hit though, I'm exhausted at the end of most days, especially if I've done any physical activity. Been having lots of afternoon siestas, which I think I may quietly slot into my daily routine from now anyway :D

Shingles hasn't been a lot of fun at all, and to be honest I don't really have any recommendations for anyone who gets it - my experience and that I've heard from others is that it's simply very hard to treat. There is a vaccine available that I'll look into a little more, but I have had some advice that having had shingles now, it may not be worth it as the chance of re-occurrence is now low for me.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 7:09am

Damn, that sounds awful. Glad to hear that you're getting back on the horse, albeit slowly.

Heal well.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 7:11am

Jeezus, it's a terrible disease to go through.
Good luck getting the surf fitness back Ben.

I found it helpful to do short sessions until I had some paddle conditioning back.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 7:43am

Sounds torturous!

Glad you can get wet again though.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 8:19am

Best of luck on the recovery Ben.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 9:00am

Just saw this so I`m definitely looking into the vaccine. Had nerve pain from compressed nerve in my back which ran down my leg and into my foot which was the most intense, relentless pain I`ve experienced. Still having trouble surfing due to numbness in my foot. I don't want to go through that pain again.
Anyone who hasn't experienced nerve pain I would suggest having a look at the vaccine. No fun.
Good to read you're recovering Ben.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 9:04am

Jeez, don’t mention the ‘v’ word around here, someone will start banging on that all you have to do is develop natural immunity.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 9:08am

There was a bit of hesitation over the keyboard when I was typing "that" word for sure.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 9:19am

Well I’m going to mention it.
If you have never had chicken pox and have varicella antibodies should you still get the shingles vaccine?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 9:24am

More organic avo, no sugar and a better mindset is all that is needed.

Healthy fit people don’t get sick.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 9:27am

My mother had shingles 20 years ago and still has to take eyedrops and has ongoing issues from it. It is a shitty thing to get.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 9:34am

Don't take my word for it lostdoggy as I may be completely wrong but I thought you had to have had chicken pox prior to getting shingles. Same virus. Someone a lot more knowledgeable than me maybe able to confirm or not.

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 10:02am

If you had chicken pox as a child, then there is a chance that you can get shingles as an adult. My mother had chicken pox when she was a little girl and got shingles when she was in her late 70s. The doctor said it was the worst case he had ever seen and my mother suffered debilitating nerve pain right up until the time she passed away. She wished she had known about the vaccine.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 11:50am

December 2022 : Shingles "New US Research" Health Update!
That can't be good news...apologies to former & current sufferers.
Very large 200k+ Study
Doctors long thought Shingles led to Stroke & Coronary Heart Disease.
New research confirmed this link is more significant than previously thought.

How much more?

30% Higher Risk for 12 years or more!

Stroke > 38% Higher risk! (Especially 1st 3 months > Year)
Coronary Heart Disease > 25% Higher Risk!

How / Why?
Childhood Chicken Pox virus remains in the body (90% have Chicken Pox virus in nervous system)
Chicken Pox Vax > 1 y/o is said to Double Shingles in wider younger population
https://elifesciences.org/for-the-press/1ccc3639/chickenpox-vaccination-...

1/3 > cases reactivates in later life (50% more in Seniors) but as less contagious Shingles.
These tiny "Shingles" Exosomes contain protein that clot & form platelets resulting in Stroke.
Again...affecting mostly those in senior years...
Any reduction / alteration in immunity > (Current examples) Stress / Flu / Covid / Vaccines...brings it on!
Note: Each day Covid is infecting more Senior / Vaxed Populations resulting in more Shingles.
This is why Govt are obliged to run the Grim Reaper Ads.

Prevention : Recommending over 50 y/o Vax
Treatment : Antiviral therapy with 72 hours

More on this study...
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/mystery-solved-how-shingles-ca...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 30 Dec 2022 at 11:54am
Roadkill wrote:

My mother had shingles 20 years ago and still has to take eyedrops and has ongoing issues from it. It is a shitty thing to get.

An ex of mine was on the verge of losing her sight.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 31 Jan 2023 at 6:08am

Finally stopped taking pain relief three days ago. There's a tiny undercurrent still popping up every now and then, but by and large almost all of the pain is gone.

By my calculations that's almost twelve weeks from go to whoa.

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Tuesday, 31 Jan 2023 at 7:23am

Geez Ben, that is harsh. Hopefully you come good soon.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 31 Jan 2023 at 7:54am

All better now thanks D!

Now, where did I put my fitness? Hmmmm, will keep searching this morning.