spinal fusion and return to surfing

oxrox's picture
oxrox started the topic in Thursday, 31 Mar 2022 at 9:48am

I'm unfortunately booked in for spinal fusion L5/S1 in just over a week. Freaking out but have no choice as I have drop foot due to severe compression of my L5 nerve root.
Basically, no surgery and I wont be able to walk properly for the rest of my life. No surfing, my work as a stonemason/ landscaper would be difficult and lot's of things I enjoy would become a chore.
Has anyone had spinal fusion and still surfing at a reasonable level? I`m still surfing shortboards at a good level 5`10 twinny with stabilizer for most days. I`m scared shitless I wont be able to surf as good. I`m no expert on spines but I`m hoping fusion being so low in my back, I will still have the mobility through the rest of my spine to surf ok.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 9:32am

Just saw and old thread on this. Looks like it wont be too bad.

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 9:43am

Not sure. how old are you ox? I had a laminectomy 14 months ago. I'm back surfing but not properly. I'm still a bit stiff in the lower back from the surgery and my core doesn't feel strong. I'm still fairly positive as I'm still improving and feeling stronger each month. BTW I was 49 when had my op.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 11:02am

All the best with it Oxrox.

Looks like I will avoid the surgical route.

Mine is slowly improving, but it's an arduous journey.

scoopmaster's picture
scoopmaster's picture
scoopmaster Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 11:03am

The lumbar spine doesn't have that much range of movement anyway, most of your ability to bend comes from the thoracic spine (upper back). A single level fusion will obviously be less limiting than a multi -level fusion. I've seen one guy about 20 years older than me and about 6 weeks after a lumbar fusion touch his toes no problem which I've never been able to do. Like any operation there are plenty of good and bad outcomes(mainly i've seen it either fix pain or cause ongoing pain). Have you tried a local anesthetic and steroid injection near that nerve root? It may give short term relief, and at least help confirm that is the location where the problem is (if it's not obvious on CT or MRI scans) .

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 11:29am

Goodluck Ox and sounds good FR.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 1:03pm

Flow. I'm 59. Spoke to my surgeon again yesterday. He said I shouldn't lose any flexibility or mobility if any would be tiny. Here's hoping. Still scary stuff.
Don`t expect to start surfing ok for 6 months to be truthful. I'm fit, strong and still really flexible which is a good thing for my recovery apparently. Hopefully by next autumn will be close to 100%.
Laminectomy is a fair bit different I think? 14 months seems a long time to still be stiff. At least your progressing and not stalling. That would be hard. Good luck! Like me you probably never thought you would be having major back surgery.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 1:05pm
freeride76 wrote:

All the best with it Oxrox.

Looks like I will avoid the surgical route.

Mine is slowly improving, but it's an arduous journey.

Thanks Freeride. Avoiding surgery is a good thing. Hope it keeps going well for you.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 1:10pm
scoopmaster wrote:

The lumbar spine doesn't have that much range of movement anyway, most of your ability to bend comes from the thoracic spine (upper back). A single level fusion will obviously be less limiting than a multi -level fusion. I've seen one guy about 20 years older than me and about 6 weeks after a lumbar fusion touch his toes no problem which I've never been able to do. Like any operation there are plenty of good and bad outcomes(mainly i've seen it either fix pain or cause ongoing pain). Have you tried a local anesthetic and steroid injection near that nerve root? It may give short term relief, and at least help confirm that is the location where the problem is (if it's not obvious on CT or MRI scans) .

Hey Scoop Yeah done all the scans. Have a badly compressed L5 nerve root. Herniation has pretty much taken up all the room where the nerve root leaves the spine. Pain for a couple of weeks with only OTC pain relief was insane. Had a spinal injection which helped so I've cut back on pills which is good. Mine's urgent surgery due to the nerve compression. Needs to be decompressed asap. I have a very good surgeon so hope the outcome is positive.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 1:19pm

My bro broke his back 30 years ago playing rugby and had a spinal fusion back then. He's been living with chronic back and leg pain ever since. He's currently in St. Andrews hospital in Brissie after undergoing a procedure where probes are inserted into the thoracic area of the spine. I think there are a total of 16 overall. The probes then stimulate the nerves via an app. and fine tuned by a technician in concert with his surgeon. The probes are powered by battery in his belt or in the future can be inserted directly into his body and kind of wireless charged.

I spoke to him this morning from his hospital bed and the results are encouraging. He said for the first time in three decades the burning pain in his legs has been replaced with a mild tingling. He said he was embarrassed but he actually cried in front of his surgeon.

The probes will be removed today and all the data analysed and then re-inserted in 6 weeks time in which they should remain there permanently. I'm hopeful for him as he has led a pretty reasonable life but not one minute free from chronic pain.

Anyway, not related too much to the above but thought I'd share.

Good luck with the surgery Ox.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 1:32pm
zenagain wrote:

My bro broke his back 30 years ago playing rugby and had a spinal fusion back then. He's been living with chronic back and leg pain ever since. He's currently in St. Andrews hospital in Brissie after undergoing a procedure where probes are inserted into the thoracic area of the spine. I think there are a total of 16 overall. The probes then stimulate the nerves via an app. and fine tuned by a technician in concert with his surgeon. The probes are powered by battery in his belt or in the future can be inserted directly into his body and kind of wireless charged.

I spoke to him this morning from his hospital bed and the results are encouraging. He said for the first time in three decades the burning pain in his legs has been replaced with a mild tingling. He said he was embarrassed but he actually cried in front of his surgeon.

The probes will be removed today and all the data analysed and then re-inserted in 6 weeks time in which they should remain there permanently. I'm hopeful for him as he has led a pretty reasonable life but not one minute free from chronic pain.

Anyway, not related too much to the above but thought I'd share.

Good luck with the surgery Ox.

Thanks Zen.... yeah I feel really sorry for people dealing with chronic pain all the time. Really don't know how they do it. No choice obviously.
A local builder here has nerve pain which feels like someone is permanently grabbing hold of his nuts. Had it for 3 years or more. No solution so far. On strong pain killers daily just to function.
Make's you realize how fortunate you are.

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 5:09pm

How's the back oxrox?

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Tuesday, 11 Oct 2022 at 11:55pm

Gday Flow.. Going ok... Can do everything except surf well!!! Foot still has numbness which doesn't help. Still stiff in the back when getting to my feet but every surf it's getting better. Only surfing a mini mal at the moment. Will be a year in April from surgery so giving it until then mentally. If it's not going great by then i reckon shortboards are a thing of the past. Pop up is the problem but flexibility has improved massively since August when I got the green light to surf.
Partly mental too I think. Trying to stay positive. Big part of life and socializing as we all know.

How are you going?

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Wednesday, 12 Oct 2022 at 8:29am

Glad you're on the improve. Sounds like you're travelling the same as me but I'm probably a bit further down the track. My big toe is a bit numb but doesn't worry me. As you said, the pop up in surfing is when I feel it. But its getting better every month. I'm still riding a short board. I'm 19 months post surgery and am still not surfing properly but as long as I'm improving I'm happy. It's actually easier to surf waves over 2 foot as you can push the board down the face thus reducing the amount of flexion on the lower back. I went snow skiing last month with no problems and am playing a bit of tennis with no pain.
Keep going. These things take time and as long as you're improving it gives you hope.

Good luck

Spoonerism's picture
Spoonerism's picture
Spoonerism Monday, 13 Feb 2023 at 11:42am

Hi oxrox, need to have a fusion myself and was searching up spinal fusion reviews and came across your post. I was wondering how you’re progressing this far down the track. If you don’t mind my asking.

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Monday, 13 Feb 2023 at 2:48pm
Spoonerism wrote:

Hi oxrox, need to have a fusion myself and was searching up spinal fusion reviews and came across your post. I was wondering how you’re progressing this far down the track. If you don’t mind my asking.

Gidday mate I thought I'd chime in..... in 2020 I had SFS L5 S1. After 49 years of pain pretty much the outcome was nothing short of maraculous. No pain and still a pretty good range of movement. I had a shoulder reconstruction in 2021 and can attest that the shoulder recon and rehab was waaaaay more painful and slower to recover from than the lower back.
No 3 years post Op the pain is back and we have discovered the L4/L5 and L3/L4 discs are now bulging (a common problem after SFS the pinch point esentially moves up the back resulting in the need for more surgeries until you cant bend at all). Ive since had a spinal epidural which has taken some of the pain away but no doubt another surgery is coming and then sadly that will be the end of my surfing. Not the best news for some to read but thats my story fwiw.

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Monday, 13 Feb 2023 at 3:11pm
spookypt wrote:
Spoonerism wrote:

Gidday mate I thought I'd chime in..... in 2020 I had SFS L5 S1. After 49 years of pain pretty much the outcome was nothing short of maraculous. No pain and still a pretty good range of movement. I had a shoulder reconstruction in 2021 and can attest that the shoulder recon and rehab was waaaaay more painful and slower to recover from than the lower back.
No 3 years post Op the pain is back and we have discovered the L4/L5 and L3/L4 discs are now bulging (a common problem after SFS the pinch point esentially moves up the back resulting in the need for more surgeries until you cant bend at all). Ive since had a spinal epidural which has taken some of the pain away but no doubt another surgery is coming and then sadly that will be the end of my surfing. Not the best news for some to read but thats my story fwiw.

Hi, my story, its been twenty years since i had a double microdiscectomy to l4/5 S5/1, basically the last two vertebrae and discs, what that means is they they shaved 30% off of my discs, i had been battling lower back pain for about 6-8 years, but was originally told i needed fusion, i declined that, mind you that was in 1998 at 33 years of age, had the microdiscectomy in 2003, they found my discs had shattered into pieces and were being driven into my spinal cord , they removed them, which resulted in the 30% being removed and it was almost instant relief after the surgery, 12 months later i was surfing and stronger than ever.
Now about 2 years ago the back started giving me greif, turns out those same discs that were operated on no longer exist and i now need spinal fusion, removal of the remaining discs and something installed and screwed in, am very skeptical i can surf again but the doc reckons a south african bloke he operated on is surfing again after the same procedure.
so i do understand that the problem may be moved up higher, but if i can get another 10 years before the next round would be awesome as i havent surfed in 4 years and its doing my head in.
Its good to know your first round of spinal fusion was a success which gives me confidence to go forward, now doc wont do the back surgery done until i get both hips replaced, lol what else could i have fail, oh thats right, right knee needs it as well but i can live with that for now, good luck on your journey and thanks for your input

Spoonerism's picture
Spoonerism's picture
Spoonerism Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 2:46pm
spookypt wrote:
Spoonerism wrote:

Spoonerism's picture
Spoonerism's picture
Spoonerism Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 3:31pm

Hi spookypt. That's a long time to endure such pain but you got a couple of good years in before it came back with more levels now gone also mate.
Had sciatica down one leg but 2018 xmas went up from Sydney to the Goldie and surfed Snapper and D-Bar every day but was feeling sciatica in both legs, low back pain, so meds and NSAIDS to deal with it and let it go for a few years, only surfed occasionally but you know how when you're lying on your board, kind of arched when you paddle, damn sciatica there every time.
Doc reckons a spinal fusion will fix it and can see no contraindication why I can't go back to surfing later, tells me that there's less than 50% chance of the next levels up being affected later.

So this is the thing. They'll tell you it should fix the problem and the next levels up should be ok but they're running a business and want you on the table. They'll promise you it should fix it, but they can't guarantee it. What I'm seeing from these posts here is that the original issues were fixed but it's the continuing surfing which have made things fail again.
If the L4/L5 and L3/L4 giving you pain, might be time to put the board away mate.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 5:39pm
Spoonerism wrote:

Gday Spoon.....So I`m 10 months post op. Back is really good!!!! Rehabbed as soon as I was able and it`s paid dividends. Probably like you are now, I was freaking out about back surgery. My range of movement is as good or maybe better than before. Had a very good surgeon which is key.
I had an anterior lumbar fusion (through the stomach) recovery is quicker as they aren't cutting through back muscles etc.
Not sure why you are having your op but mine was for a severely compressed nerve root which caused severe nerve pain and drop foot. My drop foot has recovered 70 percent but I still have numbness on top of my foot and big toe. Has affected my surfing but I haven't been doing that a lot, unfortunately. Can work, golf etc but surfing is my biggest hurdle. Once the numbness improves I will be all good.
Not stressing as i gave myself 12 - 18 months post op to fully recover minimum. Feel super confident I can get back on a shortboard this autumn/winter. Can't wait!!
Tiger Woods had the exact same surgery at the end of all his back troubles and his back has been good ever since. Dont stress too much. Get a good surgeon and rehab like a maniac within the tolerances. Once you regain lost strength you feel normal again.
Good luck! Any other questions let me know.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 14 Feb 2023 at 5:54pm

Sounding good Oxrox.

Spoonerism's picture
Spoonerism's picture
Spoonerism Wednesday, 15 Feb 2023 at 8:57am
oxrox wrote:
Spoonerism wrote:

Gday Spoon.....So I`m 10 months post op. Back is really good!!!! Rehabbed as soon as I was able and it`s paid dividends. Probably like you are now, I was freaking out about back surgery. My range of movement is as good or maybe better than before. Had a very good surgeon which is key.
I had an anterior lumbar fusion (through the stomach) recovery is quicker as they aren't cutting through back muscles etc.
Not sure why you are having your op but mine was for a severely compressed nerve root which caused severe nerve pain and drop foot. My drop foot has recovered 70 percent but I still have numbness on top of my foot and big toe. Has affected my surfing but I haven't been doing that a lot, unfortunately. Can work, golf etc but surfing is my biggest hurdle. Once the numbness improves I will be all good.
Not stressing as i gave myself 12 - 18 months post op to fully recover minimum. Feel super confident I can get back on a shortboard this autumn/winter. Can't wait!!
Tiger Woods had the exact same surgery at the end of all his back troubles and his back has been good ever since. Dont stress too much. Get a good surgeon and rehab like a maniac within the tolerances. Once you regain lost strength you feel normal again.
Good luck! Any other questions let me know.

Spoonerism's picture
Spoonerism's picture
Spoonerism Wednesday, 15 Feb 2023 at 9:19am

Hi oxrox. Thanks for the info and encouragement. I've got similar to what you had, mines moderately severe right an left foraminal narrowing with bilateral L5 neural impingement. Bilateral sciatica, back ache, numb top of foot. So paddling on the board (your back is arched) hurts. I'm a chippie too which has caused all of the above. The op I'm scheduled for is Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion. Did they put a wedge in you with bone graft?
I read you're a stonemason/landscaper, tough gig, has your surgeon advised you against returning to that? Mine has re carpentry, Dr Steel. Who was yours? 12 - 18 months is a long time off work mate unless you've got some light duties. Good improvement with your drop foot, you'll get there.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Wednesday, 15 Feb 2023 at 9:46am

Hey Spoon. Yeah so you're having same as me. My surgeon was Greg Cunnungham in WA. He is young and had done extensive training/surgery in the US and Uk. He was performing surgery on elite athletes in the UK. So being young and up with all the latest technology was reassuring.
I've been back at work for a few months. Only just now up to doing everything as before. I'm not lifting stupid weights anymore. When I asked if my work had caused my problem, he said no. Told me what I do can actually create a healthy spine. As I was fit and flexible he said it wasn't the problem. If I had come in overweight and unhealthy then what i do is bad. My daughter is a physio and says similar things. Surgeon put it down to bad luck/ genetics.
I have no restrictions on what I can do.
The 12 to 18 months was for a return to surfing how I was pre surgery. I'm doing everything else close to normal.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 15 Feb 2023 at 10:03am

Best of luck gents.
Keep us posted.

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Wednesday, 15 Feb 2023 at 12:48pm
gromfull wrote:
spookypt wrote:
Spoonerism wrote:

Hi, my story, its been twenty years since i had a double microdiscectomy to l4/5 S5/1, basically the last two vertebrae and discs, what that means is they they shaved 30% off of my discs, i had been battling lower back pain for about 6-8 years, but was originally told i needed fusion, i declined that, mind you that was in 1998 at 33 years of age, had the microdiscectomy in 2003, they found my discs had shattered into pieces and were being driven into my spinal cord , they removed them, which resulted in the 30% being removed and it was almost instant relief after the surgery, 12 months later i was surfing and stronger than ever.
Now about 2 years ago the back started giving me greif, turns out those same discs that were operated on no longer exist and i now need spinal fusion, removal of the remaining discs and something installed and screwed in, am very skeptical i can surf again but the doc reckons a south african bloke he operated on is surfing again after the same procedure.
so i do understand that the problem may be moved up higher, but if i can get another 10 years before the next round would be awesome as i havent surfed in 4 years and its doing my head in.
Its good to know your first round of spinal fusion was a success which gives me confidence to go forward, now doc wont do the back surgery done until i get both hips replaced, lol what else could i have fail, oh thats right, right knee needs it as well but i can live with that for now, good luck on your journey and thanks for your input

spell check, that would be L4/5 and L5/S1

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Wednesday, 15 Feb 2023 at 2:45pm

Hi Ox. Can you tell us which exercises you've been told to do ox or which you've found to help most? Cheers.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Wednesday, 15 Feb 2023 at 9:31pm

Hi Flow... All I'm doing is lots of pushups and chin ups but that's mainly for strength and stretches like cat cow, child pose, thread the needle, 90/90 for hips, bridges, lunges and stretch where you bring your knees to chest and twist them to the floor while keeping your shouders flat. I do some of these as static stretches then increase tempo. Nothing different really. I just do anything I feel will loosen my back without causing pain which right now I can do anything.

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Wednesday, 15 Feb 2023 at 10:41pm

Thanks ox. I'm doing similar. Appreciate you responding. All the best.

Fages's picture
Fages's picture
Fages Wednesday, 15 Feb 2023 at 11:28pm

I'm 58 and had 2 bulged disks, L4/5, plus degenerated disks. Was unable to stand up, couldn't bend up past hips. While getting scans and cortisone shots got hold of a knee board and used that for 12 months. Kept me in the water until cortisone in disks worked. Was third location.
Been 12 months now and may be wearing off. But made a big difference. For those guys who can't stand up any more the kneeboard could be an option. :)

durutti's picture
durutti's picture
durutti Thursday, 16 Feb 2023 at 7:42am

For anyone in here dealing with sciatic/neuropathic pain I cannot recommend medicinal cannabis enough. Leaves other NSAIDs in the dirt IME.

Jesper Stenderup Jensen's picture
Jesper Stenderu... Sunday, 9 Jul 2023 at 10:29pm

Hey out there from Denmark
I had spinal fusion L4/L5 in 2014. It tool me 3 years to rehab. Former windsurfer. Picked up surfing after rehab where I through excessiv core and full body strength training was able to learn to surf to a intermidate level (6’4 to 7’) boards on lots of trips to Tenerife and Portugal and still work 60 hours a week as a CEO.
Happy life for the last 6-7 years painfree. Though this spring over did training and are hit with the big hammer. Lots of muscular pain and spams. Super difficult to come back from. Anyone in same situation ?
But it is possible to come back. You just need to be carefull and listen to your body.

Best regards Jesper/Denmark

Jesper Stenderu... Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 1:23am

Hey outthere
Had spinal fusion L4/L5 10 years ago. Took me 3 years to rehab. Former windsurfer. Startede surfing after rehab where I along began to train a lot of core, stabillity and generel strength. For cardio I walked and biked. I succed to get to the High end of internidiate level of surfing. Surfed midlength to 6’4 boards on a lot of trips to Tenerife, South Africa and Portugal along with working 60 hours a week as a CEO without pain.
It can work. But you have to be carefull not to overdo it. Did that 6 weeks ago and are know hit by the Big hammer with servere musclepain and -spams. Kind of back to zero. Any one tried that and what did you do to recover ?
Best regards Jesper from Denmark

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 8:48am

Any updates gents?

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 9:15am

How you going FR? By the sounds of it you're doing ok. Any discomfort, pain at all?
I had a bit of a setback in January, but it will come good. Massive help from MB.

P.S, sorry, don't want to hijack the thread being about fusion etc

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 9:34am

Pretty good.
Couple little episodes of pain/stiffness but I've gotten better at managing it.

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 9:37am

After almost 2.5 years since laminectomy I'm getting my flexibility back. If I didn't surf I'd not really notice it, but the pop up really tests the flexibility. 4 months ago I started doing childs pose every day as I knew that the lack of flexibility was holding me back. I was a bit nervous to overstretch in the early part of rehab. I reckon by 3 years post surgery I'll be good. Are you over your sciatica FR?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 9:47am

Yeah, mostly.
Just occasional discomfort at night, alleviated by child's pose.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 4:53pm

Would be interested in hearing about the role physiotherapists played in your rehabilitation guys

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 6:10pm

Hey GS. My surgeon told me to just walk and to not bother with a physio. He said they would stuff it up. I think that was a bit unfair, especially after saying I could do whatever I wanted but not to do heavy weights and not to bend and twist while picking something up. However I have found some physios have given me exercises that have irritated me. I just stuck with what worked for me in the past. That being to strengthen my lower abs, do pushups and pullups. Also walking in water was great to get the initial strength back. Childs pose helped to increase my flexibilty. Everyone is different. All the hip extension exercises didn't agree with me but for many they do, like bird dogs etc. I hope that helps.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 6:31pm

Thanks flow

While I’ve never had surgery on my back I’ve needed to work with physios on some persistent semi debilitating niggles. My long term GP is mostly dismissive of the role physios can play and I’ve had mostly great experiences with them but recently some stretches were recommended that had negative results. I’m now working with Kieser and they are a revelation. Cheers

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 7:16pm

Kieser?

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 7:48pm
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 10 Jul 2023 at 8:36pm
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 13 Sep 2023 at 11:23am

GuySmiley.

How are you ? How’s your health ?

Hope you are enjoying a bit of this nice warm weather..All the best.AW

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 13 Sep 2023 at 5:54pm

Gday AW, just noticed your message, incremental improvement and plan on getting salty tomorrow morning for some soul food. Trying to avoid the forums such is the stench but should mention the local powerful owl and chick sighting last summer, the tawny frogmouth family is back in our garden and the alpha male magpie is back to swooping my tormented Labrador …

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 13 Sep 2023 at 6:23pm
GuySmiley wrote:

Gday AW, just noticed your message, incremental improvement and plan on getting salty tomorrow morning for some soul food. Trying to avoid the forums such is the stench but should mention the local powerful owl and chick sighting last summer, the tawny frogmouth family is back in our garden and the alpha male magpie is back to swooping my tormented Labrador …

Guy. Sounds good, bit of salty immersion is good for the soul.
Would you have an approximate date for the Powerful Owl observation, seeing and hearing one is amazing, but seeing a chick is gold. We have a fellow whose research is Powerful Owls and records of chicks is vital to understanding their plight with life.
You must have Ring-tailed Possums (their favourites) or other small nocturnal animals in your area, albeit they will eat large rats, but that worries me with all the baiting in towns.
Also nice to hear you have Tawny’s.
Hope Fido doesn’t need a dog psychologist post Spring.

Enjoy that briny therapy tomorrow. AW

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 13 Sep 2023 at 7:03pm

Gday AW, I can’t remember accurately, would have been late in the season, stood under the tree they were sitting in eye balling each other for ages, maybe 2-3 minutes, I looked away and then looked back and they were gone, silent. The PV ranger I spoke to confirmed what I had saw, said that it was extremely rare and keep the location on the downlow. Apparently the MP is now seeing them more often.

Poor fido is now hiding inside the house and freaks out when he sees a maggie

Out, the traffic lights turn blue tomorrow