The Necessity of Reparation for Historic Injustices

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond started the topic in Sunday, 25 Jul 2021 at 1:26pm

Uni assignment i did a few years ago. This is my take on things. I'm sure this will ruffle many feathers. I hope so.
Love Blue Diamond x

The Necessity of Reparation for Historic Injustices

Introduction – Compensatory Justice
Disparities between the standards of living of humans on this planet have long been a part of our history on this planet. From the wealthy nations of the West to the developing and undeveloped nations on this globe, the diversity in the quality of life when viewed from a moral standpoint are without a doubt grossly unfair.
In this paper I will look at why historic injustices do require some form of reparation. I take a strong stance that we are more obliged to solve current injustices than to provide reparation for every act of injustice in the past. In doing this I will first investigate the historic injustice of the Aboriginal people of Australia and I will look at the argument that they are entitled to some form of reparation and why.
I will incoroporate some interesting views from Jeremy Waldron, Robert Nozick and others which will help me slowly build to my conclusion that reparation should be in the form of Non Indigenous Australians surrendering some of our priveleges as a form of reparation.

Historic Injustices to Indigenous Australians:
Australia the continent was well inhabited for many years long before white settlement. It is commonly known that in 1788 Australia was colonised as a country under the rule of the British Empire, with total contempt for the fact that it was already inhabited by a native indigenous race of people.
The way the original inhabitants have been treated, including forced assimilation, execution, stolen families and not even allowed to be recognised as citizens for a large part of white Australia’s history are also well known facts. (Poole, 1999,pp114-142)
There exists now a situation where there is a large divide between Aboriginal and non Aboriginal Australian’s that can be traced back to the moment Australia was invaded by English settlers and the brutal and unfair treatment that has followed.
So at this point now, in 2013 what is the just and fair way to make amends for past actions?
I would argue that a moderate to large amount of reparation is overdue for this nation of people, the Aboriginal people. But there are many challenges to this view point especially that of how much reparation, and what sort of compensation.

Past injustices or present suffering?
One of the questions raised in an issue like this is whether it is better to provide compensation or reparation for past deeds, which have already been done in a previous generation and cannot be changed, or whether it is better to now provide assistance to those who are suffering in their current situations and consider that as a form of moral duty.
To understand this we need to delve a little deeper into this issue and hear some differing viewpoints.
Firstly we need to understand what the best way to provide reparation. How do we judge what is the best way of giving back and how much? Jeremy Waldron states “The historic record has a fragility that consists, …in the sheer contingency of what happened in the past” (Waldron,1992,p5 )
This is saying that we can’t trace every single injustice back to the original act therefore reparation for every act would be almost impossible because it would ultimately be guess work.
In this statement he has an objection from Robert Nozick who believes it is in fact possible to address this problem by “changing the present so that it resembles how the past would have looked had the injustice not taken place” (McKenzie, 2013)
This would be a way to ultimately provide maximum reparation, but is it the correct approach? I believe this is a fairly radical approach, although it does have some merits in the fact it would be working in a positive way for indigenous people, I don’t think it is entirely the right way to deal with these issues but it is on the right track.
Waldron argues that it is based on too many unknowns. “The status of counterfactual reasoning about the exercising of human reasoning of human freedom is unclear”(Waldron 1993,p10)
Which leaves the question somewhat open about the sort of reparation that is required, but provides one clear answer to the key question. Both agree that yes, reparation to some extent is required. But how much and in what form?
Another philosopher who leans more towards Waldron’s views is Kymlicka. He is somewhat more straightforward in his assessment that property rights in particular for Aboriginals would create “massive unfairness” and also he maintains the argument “Aboriginal rights must be grounded in concerns about equality and contemporary disadvantage. (McKenzie, 2013) I agree with both these views but I don’t think they provide any active solutions.

The Solution?
So if its not handing back all of Australia’s land to the original inhabitants that is the most appropriate way to deal with past injustices, then what is?
I look at the current country I grew up in, as a white Australian. I ask myself why I never had Aboriginal friends growing up, no understanding of Aboriginal culture and why my basic understanding of Indigenous Australians is mostly 200 years old. I look at our flag, a symbol of a nation that stole a country from its original inhabitants, with no recognition of the Indigenous people at all on it. I see that Australia considered Indigenous people as less than people until only 40 years ago and I see the way that Indigenous Australians live a completely separate life to the way of life I know as an Australian. I see that the only indigenous politician I am aware of is a former Olympian and it is because of this fact of her sporting status that I know this. I see no collective power or representation of Indigenous Australians and I see non Indigenous Australians,( a culture built on a history of stealing a land and mistreating its people) still taking, taking as much out of this land as they can, with little to no regard of sharing or giving to the original inhabitants. I see a government that says lots of words about ‘closing the gap’ and bringing the living standards of non- indigenous and indigenous Australians closer together, but apart from nice words, there is no conviction, no follow through, just assimilation , and all that still remains are injustices.
As stated by Sparrow, “Continuity gives rise to responsibility on part of present generations of Australians for our history”.(McKenzie,2013). Although deeds happened in the past beyond our control, what we do now to either ignore, or rectify these issues will reflect on us in history. So if we choose to do nothing, we are contributing to the history of the mistreatment of non- indigenous Australians. And this is simply unacceptable in my opinion.

Conclusion
So what is fair? I believe that the way forward is a surrendering of some of our privileges as non- indigenous Australians. The simple fact is it was morally wrong without a doubt what has happened in the past. And it is also morally wrong without a doubt to ignore these facts and not offer some form of reparation in the present. But how much?
I think that going back to Robert Nozick’s argument is a start. I think Nozick is wrong to make the present resemble the past in every aspect. But I do think that it would be reasonable to restore some aspects of the way things should be. The things that happened in the past were out of our control and we can’t go back to changing the way things were. But we could change the way things are.
For some examples. Why not give at least 50% of political power to indigenous people? It surely would be a fair thing to do considering this is their country. Media control. 50 percent. Industry. Realestate. The list goes on. Why do we not acknowledge the indigenous people on our flag, or better still use their flag? Why is Australia still a part of the Commonwealth when it serves little purpose to any of us and serves as a constant reminder to Indigenous Australians that they are still controlled by the original invaders. These to me are fairly simple reparations that would have minimal impact on Australia as a whole. Perhaps, it would alter the way we live but I think it is our responsibility, morally to forfeit some of our privileges for the greater good. Basically a little bit goes a long way.
In closing, it is a fact that a huge injustice occurred to the Indigenous population and suffering continues to this day. There is no easy solution to such a burden of pain. I believe the only solutions are for the non- Indigenous population to take responsibility and sacrifice our own way of life to bring about an overall equality. Sacrifice is not an easy word. But it all comes down to right and wrong. We are in a position to give, in this current generation. What are we so scared to lose, that was never ours in the first place??

Bibliography
McKenzie,C.”Prof” (2013), Lecture, Historic Injustices and Indigenous Rights, Macquarie University
Poole, R. (1999). Nation and Identity.Routledge, London, pp.114-142
Waldron,J. (1992). ‘Superseding Historic Injustice’. Ethics, 103 (1), 4-28

References
Poole, R. (1999). Nation and Identity.Routledge, London, pp.114-142
Waldron,J. (1992). ‘Superseding Historic Injustice’. Ethics, 103 (1), 4-28

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 29 Jul 2023 at 7:21pm
AndyM wrote:

And none of the environmental battles fought in Australia in the past 40 odd years would have been won.
If you think asking nicely is going to influence a corporatocracy like we have in Australia, well you're in a sad state of affairs.
Then again, you are the person who thinks the closer Indigenous people are to their culture, the more violent they are, so what do I expect?
What do they say about arguing with pigs?

God you are a fk witt.

The latest oil thing in the bight had peaceful paddle out protest and didnt happen, im sure there is a whole heap of examples where peaceful and lawful protest raised public awareness and stopped all types of developments, and a whole shit load of ones like Adani where dickheads done all kinds of illegal stunts in the name of protest and stopped nothing.

BTW. If protesters got there way Tasmania would not have 100% renewable energy right now because there would be no dams and hydro.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 29 Jul 2023 at 7:23pm

And now for the Monty Python’s Flying Circus

“ .. but here is Australia we have a legal right to peaceful protest, so we dont have any excuse to break the law or bully and intimidate people or business we dont agree with.

It's honestly scary that actual grown adults think like you guys, its a mindset of an ignorant idealistic teen, if everyone thought like you guys the world would be chaos and the violence that would be incited would be crazy.“

Right, you mean like those thugs throwing projectiles and punches at reporters and police and their horses during the illegal Melbourne covid riots/protests spurred on by their preferred grifter Avi the wife basher ?

FFS you have the memory of a nit @info

https://m.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 29 Jul 2023 at 7:41pm

It’s okay Indo,, no need to apologise or feel bad.
I mean if you think that about indigenous Australians and also Papua New Guineans then I’m just going to have to live with it.
After all, I really do support, your right to free speech etc etc.
Also mate, wit only has one t.
Bisous.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 30 Jul 2023 at 1:11pm

Some US States exempt drivers that 'Exercise Due Care' when accidentally bumping into things.
https://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/18/us/legislation-protects-drivers-injur...
North Dakota...Please exercise due care when goin' about yer way!
North Carolina don't have a problem if "Non permitted" protesters cop a tickle.
Floridians exercise due care with yer bump'n'go.
Tennessee drivers accidentally injure protesters...maybe.
Texans exercise due care when rounding up strays.
Rhode Island also bumbled along the same road...

Here some Oz states allow the removal of 'perceived' lifeless forms.
The lifeless body attracts further wildlife that leads to excess hazardous Road Kill.
Therefore it's the Drivers duty to safely limit further risk to fellow motorists.

Protesters often mimic Lifeless Forms...(Super glue protesters seldom present as alive!)
In these cases then driver is exempted to remove a believed lifeless hazard.

Process involves Braking gently with hazards on...exiting vehicle safely...
Then a safe efficient once over...any signs of life call it in...then don't physically remove patient.
With no obvious signs of life..one can safely & efficiently remove yer lifeless form to the roadside.

Careful not to violently kick it to the curb but outta harms way.
Here the driver safely checks vitals & for pregnancy etc...one can prevent repeat road hazard...Call it in!
Then safely remove yer vehicle off the road...if life-form is injured then await or guide Authorities.

Rescue Bill...(Fees & charges)
Recent Bne Port Link Protesters blocked 5,000 Vehicles / hr (Peak based on 30,000/day)
Enviro bill = $300 Carbon Debit Fine + $15,000 idle fuel impost to Motorists.
Extra > Transit Unions / Operators / Frontline hourly compensation + Warranted Civic / Ed claims.

Taxing protests will limit Peak CBD / transit blockades.
Authorities can still allow freedom to protest but charge applicable enviro offset fees.
Transit authorities evaluate Climate Change Protest fees for each precinct...
Yes! Each precinct remains free for carbon neutral protesting.
Enviro offset CO2 Protest fees are tabled for all users.
Carbon Price $30ton + Fuel Price $2/L
Idle time 2kg CO2 /hr + # Vehicles / hr
Peak CBD would incur Peak CO2 penalties = Peak CO2 Protest offset
Compo Fees factored in for Frontline > Transit > Ed etc

Each protester / person / mob collect penalty points as any here for all manner of breaches.
Once ya hit or breach the City's CO2 carbon limit (As agreed by protesters)...then suspension applies.
Breach enough Carbon credits then be branded as #1 eco terrorists & be booted from yer city.
Once ya lose Eco cred then ya gotta apologize for being #1 Global Warming threat.

Like any fad...ya tax the shit out of it!
Soon find traffic / air clears as protesters adopt more credible & Eco efficient means to convey message!
No violence needed, just hold them accountable to their own agreed & measured beliefs.
Nope! Not even clever...simply apply the same laws evenly to CO2 smogs as ya would to litter bugs.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Monday, 31 Jul 2023 at 12:12am

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Monday, 31 Jul 2023 at 6:32am

Haven’t seen that before. Filmed in Pomona.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 1 Aug 2023 at 3:45pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
GuySmiley wrote:

ABC TV 8.32 pm tonight

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Vq7rrTsY0&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A...

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/102606182

Watched this yesterday.

Pretty much what you would expect, no big surprises.

It was good that they did include Peter Sutton in it to provide some kind of balance, although it felt like it had a clear ABC edit & bias(as expected) would have liked to hear more from Peter and less from random activist types.

My thought's confirmed below by Peter Sutton.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 1 Aug 2023 at 3:47pm

Why I feel cheated by Dark Emu ‘documentary’ (Peter Sutton)

The Dark Emu Story is a recently released film produced by Blackfella Films for the ABC and directed by Allan Clarke.

I won’t call it a “documentary” because, although it starts pretty well, by the time it gets to the end, certain segments fail to reflect the values underlying a good documentary: balance, fairness and respect for reliable records as against unfounded speculation.
At the centre of the film is Bruce Pascoe’s 2014 book, Dark Emu.

In 2021, archaeologist Keryn Walshe and I published a detailed assessment of Pascoe’s claims as compared with the evidence (our book’s short title is Farmers or Hunter-gatherers?).

The film is biased towards one side of the debate, the side of Bruce Pascoe. At several points it turns into propaganda. This is the opposite of the much-stressed independence and even-handedness Blackfella Films promised in our pre-filming discussions. It becomes a puff piece for Pascoe.

Clarke recently told Jason Di Rosso on ABC radio, twice, that I was a highly respected scholar. This is at odds with the film, in which I was dudded.

Having appeared in the film in good faith, both Walshe and I have had our trust in Clarke and Blackfella Films abused. Worst of all the film depicts us as racists by association with right-wing shock jocks. Marcia Langton associates us with the colonial anthropology of 100 years ago. The film was a set-up. A case of bad faith.

One of the many film moments shot – but not included in the end result – was my firm disassociation from Andrew Bolt. I am against his personal attacks, including those on Pascoe. I am also against Langton’s personal attacks, as in this case.

Very few of my challenges to Pascoe, filmed in Sydney’s Mitchell Library, got through to the final cut. For example, I asked him why no First Nations people were quoted in his book. Direct evidence from people with knowledge of traditional hunting, collecting and eco-management was something Walshe and I had no difficulty drawing on in our book. Perhaps Pascoe’s answers in the Mitchell were not good enough.

The film starts pretty well, but later loses the promised thread, goes bush for some luscious cinematography, dwells on a current archaeological project, and towards the end becomes a platform for an abusive and disrespectful tirade from Marcia Langton.

Langton presents the poor viewer with a fictional pastiche of our book and then attacks this straw being viciously.

Contrary to Langton, we never claimed spiritual propagation was the only way people managed the biota before colonisation. We said it was important, along with landscape firing, fish traps, seasonal mobility and the rest, but Pascoe had missed it. Langton attacks her own mirage.

In between all this there is in the film a sympathy drive for Pascoe, which at one point descends into schmaltz and bathos with violins playing in the background. This reminded me of Liberace.

Viewers are left wondering what connects the film’s various bits. Where did the other key points of the debate go? A question addressed neither by Pascoe nor by Clarke’s film is why do mainland Aboriginal languages lack the vocabulary of horticulture, but the two Torres Strait languages, those of Melanesian gardeners, collectors, hunters and fishers, abound in such words?

But it’s not the failure of the film as an attempt at documentary that most concerns me here. It’s how the film suffers terminally from an overdose of viewer-bullying from Langton.

Langton, in this film, has turned on the community of scholars who have long both nurtured and learned from her. In the film she tries to hijack a debate about the precolonial economies and technologies of the Old People and turn it into a personal battle in the great race war. She parodies modern anthropologists as if time had stood still in 1914.

She says: “I call it Ooga Booga anthropology.” (I thought Gary Foley had dibs on that term.) But Langton’s political rage does not entitle her to misuse her extensive power and high profile, especially in an effort to prop up Pascoe’s work by denigrating her colleagues. But misuse it she does.

Langton’s extraordinary outburst against anthropologists seems odd at first. As an anthropologist herself (at the University of Melbourne), she has published in the field of traditional Aboriginal land use, especially eco-management using fire. Lamalama people of Cape York Peninsula kindly took her in.
In our book that forensically examined Pascoe’s claims, we made use of five of Langton’s relevant works. Pascoe’s book ignored her scholarship entirely. Soon after the appearance of Pascoe’s Dark Emu, Langton committed one of the most embarrassing gaffes of her academic career. She went on TV announcing that Pascoe’s was possibly one of the best books ever published on Australia.

We have shown that this is false. Langton also said all of Pascoe’s references to explorer accounts were accurate.

That this was untrue was shown by our analysis of Pascoe’s misuse and doctoring of quotations. Many of Langton’s colleagues who saw this were gobsmacked.

How could she endorse a book that would fail as a first-year student essay; that made claims that could not be substantiated; that was littered with multiple howlers?

Trivially, but symptomatically, Pascoe claims writer Randolph Stow (1938-2010) married ethnographer Kate Parker (1856-1940). She actually married a barrister called Percival Randolph Stow (1857-1937).

Dark Emu also dumped on experts. Pascoe, untutored in the relevant disciplines, instantly knew more than they did after reading explorer Thomas Mitchell’s journal. Mitchell described piles of grass as resembling hayricks. Pascoe failed to notice that Mitchell was later to write in admiration of the freedom, vigour and health of the First Australians, and their happy escape from the toils of agriculture.

The answer for Langton’s excessive display in this film may lie in the fact that Pascoe’s book is, among other things, an anti-racist tract. For many, the political morality story is what counts, even if normal standards of evidence have been disrespected and abandoned during its composition.
Walshe and I apparently made the mistake of questioning an antiracist tract that was marred by factual errors. Our mainly Celtic ancestry was a disability in the toxic wasteland of Australian race politics.

In the film Langton is thus defending not only Pascoe but herself, in my opinion, by going on the attack against people whose work has showed up her serious misjudgment.

Walshe and I had been invited to take part in the film by way of interviews. Walshe is a much experienced and respected senior archaeologist who works closely with traditional owners. I have worked with and for Aboriginal people as an anthropologist and linguist for decades.

In a low insult, the film links Walshe and myself to right wing shock jocks and racists. We are in fact both lifetime anti-racists, a fact hidden from viewers. Of the 80-odd land claims I worked on from the 1970s until 2018, as a researcher, in two of them Langton and I worked together.

For some years we were both part of the council of the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies. Langton wrote the foreword to my 2007 book, The Politics of Suffering. These are among the courtesies of the community of scholars.

Was saving face enough of a reason to allow Langton to throw away her scholarly standards and then attack the messengers of scientific restraint in an excruciatingly long browbeating?

Whatever the case, she is now stuck with that foot-in mouth moment forever, and its eternal reflection in this film. And we’re all stuck with a film that is a partly wasted opportunity to lead viewers to better understanding of Australia’s long and complex human past. The ABC should get its money back.
Peter Sutton’s most recent book is Linguistic Organisation and Native Title: The Wik Case (ANU Press, 2021)

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=TAWEB_WRE1...

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 1 Aug 2023 at 4:56pm

good you watched it indo, interesting, topical, free film. the term 'documentary' became well-and-truly a blanket-term when michael moore started winning 'best documentary' awards for his films. pissed off a lot of purists.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 1 Aug 2023 at 7:24pm
southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Tuesday, 1 Aug 2023 at 9:06pm

haha. Brilliant @andymac

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 7:38am
andy-mac wrote:

Yep.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvZQb0PLEJF/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Andy-Mac. Thanks for the post, those behaviours don’t surprise me at all, ‘coward punchers’ at best. The problem with those cohorts is that they are breeders of the nastiest type of people. Very sad for aboriginal communities. AW

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 12:12pm

It is entirely unsurprising that @info would post a negative article (paywalled) about the Voice published by the No campaign’s preferred far right grifters media platform. Written by whom btw??

What is perhaps more surprising is that a supposedly apolitical and professional scholar with no apparent academic, political or personal axe to grind, you know someone only interested in the truth, would allow himself to be used in such a callous political way at this moment in time unless of course he doesn’t mind mixing it with the company he’s currently keeping!!!!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 1:07pm

Also completely unsurprising that you include me again in your post, seriously you seem obsessed with me and my views.

I cut and pasted the text from social media and included everything they posted, so dont know who wrote it.

Obviously Peter is frustrated with how the docco was edited and wanted to make his view public and i doubt the ABC or the Guardian etc are going to be trusted to post his views word for word or even post the article, in regard to timing, obviously the timing is because the docco was released recently, its not his choice.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 4:17pm

Great post @Wilhelm thanks

Don’t flatter yourself @info, but so you post articles that you haven’t a clue who wrote them? None to wise me thinks.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 4:17pm

Great post @Wilhelm thanks

Don’t flatter yourself @info, but so you post articles that you haven’t a clue who wrote them? None to wise me thinks.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 4:24pm

From W.H's post...
'Dark Emu is not about whether Aborigines were agriculturalists or hunter-gatherers, but about how they were seen by explorers, settlers and other observers. Pascoe is challenging popular beliefs about Aborigines. His modest aim, he said, “is to give rise to a possibility of an alternative view of precolonial Australia.”
For those above who don't understand this....
PROBABLY WORTH READING TWO OR THREE TIMES!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 6:17pm
GuySmiley wrote:

@info, but so you post articles that you haven’t a clue who wrote them? None to wise me thinks.

Ha ha FFS seriously the straw clutching you do

If you read the article again it's very clear that they are Peter Suttons views and words, hence why he says all the way through it "I "and "myself"

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 8:26pm

For all the NO voters that read this thread, and i'm sure theres a few who aren't commenting,
I'd highly recommend a watch of this.
It's very current, within the fortnight.
Pour yourself a cuppa and give it some of your time.
3 highly inspiring individuals. It's nice to hear it from a purely indigenous point of view.
Sitting by the river in Rockhampton, having an honest chat minus the emotion, Corellas in the background. Its a good'un.
There seems to be alot of speculation on what indigenous Australians are thinking.
Maybe now is a good time to put personal opinions to the side and just listen.
After watching this, i'd say it's one of the more balanced and informative sit down chats i've seen so far.
I really hope some of those with the strongest opinions on NO on here will do the indigenous people they plan to vote against, the courtesy of taking the time to watch this and be a little more informed.
Cheers.
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/watch/2227012163856

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 9:11pm

Link doesn’t work SR. What’s it called?

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 9:22pm

probably doesn't work if you haven't signed up for sbs, can you sign in with google seeds?
It's called 'The Point season 2023 episode 6 - Darumbal Country, Rockhampton'

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 9:25pm

Ahhh ok. Cheers for the headsup Seeds.
Works on my end, so maybe you have to be subscribed to SBS on Demand to get the direct connection.
The program is The Point. Episode 6. On the Road. Darumbal Country. Tuesday, July 4 2023, so a month old.
It's a cracker. Highly recommend watching right through. There is some emotional stuff re. some talk of some court dealings they recently had, plus some pretty powerful commentary on the education system for aboriginal kids.
I really love the chick in the 'Unapologetically Black' t shirt. She's pretty switched on, as they all are.
Here's the link again anyway, just incase the first one was a dud

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 9:26pm

ahh...haha.
Or what Basesix said. :-P

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 9:28pm

Cheers. I’ll have a look.

Dumai's picture
Dumai's picture
Dumai Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 10:46pm

-3,278 Aboriginal corporations
-243 Native title bodies
-48 land councils
-35 Regional councils
-122 + Aboriginal agencies
-3 Advisory bodies
-145 Health organisations
-11 Indigenous Federal MPs
-12 Culturally important indigenous days
-Taxpayers give $33 BILLION annually for 984,000 people (3.8% of the population )
-Expenditure per person in 2012-2013 was $43,449 on Indigenous Australian compared to $20,900 on other Australians a ratio of 2.08 to 1 and increase from 1.95 in2009.Australian taxpayers spend at least $100 million a day on direct support for Indigenous Australians every year or $39.5 billion of direct government expenditure every.single.year.
The figures are based on the 2017 Indigenous Expenditure Report produced by the Productivity Comission.Source : Professor Matthew Bennet ,spokesman for the Sovereign Court of International Justice ( SCIJ ) and international Barrister with a 25 + year legal career and an expert on international law.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Wednesday, 2 Aug 2023 at 11:13pm

What is your point @dumai?

AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace's picture
AlfredWallace Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 12:24pm

Dumai. Do you want a lend of $20 bucks mate, i can see you’re feeling aggrieved and very short changed ? . Another penny pincher, taxation vigilante.
You just don’t get it do you ? Shall i refer to you as Ostrich in the future , head planted firmly in the sand with your arse facing skyward leaving you very vulnerable.
Please don’t tell me you’ve never received money from the government. AW

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 12:46pm
Dumai wrote:

-3,278 Aboriginal corporations
-243 Native title bodies
-48 land councils
-35 Regional councils
-122 + Aboriginal agencies
-3 Advisory bodies
-145 Health organisations
-11 Indigenous Federal MPs
-12 Culturally important indigenous days
-Taxpayers give $33 BILLION annually for 984,000 people (3.8% of the population )
-Expenditure per person in 2012-2013 was $43,449 on Indigenous Australian compared to $20,900 on other Australians a ratio of 2.08 to 1 and increase from 1.95 in2009.Australian taxpayers spend at least $100 million a day on direct support for Indigenous Australians every year or $39.5 billion of direct government expenditure every.single.year.
The figures are based on the 2017 Indigenous Expenditure Report produced by the Productivity Comission.Source : Professor Matthew Bennet ,spokesman for the Sovereign Court of International Justice ( SCIJ ) and international Barrister with a 25 + year legal career and an expert on international law.

There is a whole host of other aspects you could include.

An important one not mentioned, federal "minister of indigenous affairs" a position which holds responsibility for affairs affecting Indigenous Australians. (basically listening to many of the above groups, and visiting communities and talking to the people etc)

About 50% of Australian land is also under indigenous management, and big money is paid in mining leases and road access etc to Indigenous people (although safe to assume most isnt seen by everyday Indigenous people)

Then you have all kinds of acknowledgment, be it at the start of TV programs, radio shows, podcast, sports games and rounds, school assemblies, council meeting's, pretty much everywhere you go, acknowledgments, smoking ceremonies, our new local cultural centre cant even be named what it is "Phillip Island Cultural Centre" it has to have an indigenous name, apparently

"Council’s decision to endorse a First Nations name for the new cultural centre in Cowes was consistent with Council’s commitment to First Nations reconciliation and encouraged by Geographical Names Victoria (GNV) in their Naming rules for places in Victoria – Statutory requirements for naming roads, features and localities-2022"

Which is ridiculous, just call it what it is for god sake, and give the seperate areas, like conference rooms etc Indigenous names

The whole point of Dumai] post is very obvious Indigenous people have a voice and have widespread acknowledgment.

None of this changes anything though without positive change made by individuals, something you cant force on people, luckily many individuals do make change to though, or dont wallow away their lifes as hard done by victims,.the crew on the SBS episode are examples of this.

(started watching it but haven't finished, so will save comment's on that until latter)

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 1:05pm

Indo, have you ever considered that you talk more than you listen?
All your posts are piles of absolute dogshit. I can never be bothered reading through them.
Now is as good a time as any to shut the hell up and start listening and learning.
You seem to know so much, yet know so very little, especially real lived experiences on this subject.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 1:52pm
seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 2:27pm

Oh shit oh no that’s ear worm stuff @supa

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 4:47pm
southernraw wrote:

What is your point @dumai?

To shit on Wilhelm’s excellent post of 1.25 pm yesterday, that and @info’s doubling down rehashing in a mindless bottom feeder’s game of brinkmanship

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 5:49pm
southernraw wrote:

Indo, have you ever considered that you talk more than you listen?
All your posts are piles of absolute dogshit. I can never be bothered reading through them.
Now is as good a time as any to shut the hell up and start listening and learning.
You seem to know so much, yet know so very little, especially real lived experiences on this subject.

Ha ha how do you know i dont listen?

I read any post here where people actually put some thought into things and ignore or skim over the through away mindless trash.

If it sounds interesting i will even take the time to watch or read (finished the SBS link)

What you mean is im not swayed to your way of thinking, i actually use to think almost exactly like you when i was in my twenties. (and embarrassingly even had arguments with family over my views)

I don't care if you read my post or agree, im not here to try to change minds, if you are going to expand your mind and dig deeper, you will do that in time, but for now and maybe forever its regurgitating tired old cliches.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 6:01pm
southernraw wrote:

For all the NO voters that read this thread, and i'm sure theres a few who aren't commenting,
I'd highly recommend a watch of this.
It's very current, within the fortnight.
Pour yourself a cuppa and give it some of your time.
3 highly inspiring individuals. It's nice to hear it from a purely indigenous point of view.
Sitting by the river in Rockhampton, having an honest chat minus the emotion, Corellas in the background. Its a good'un.
There seems to be alot of speculation on what indigenous Australians are thinking.
Maybe now is a good time to put personal opinions to the side and just listen.
After watching this, i'd say it's one of the more balanced and informative sit down chats i've seen so far.
I really hope some of those with the strongest opinions on NO on here will do the indigenous people they plan to vote against, the courtesy of taking the time to watch this and be a little more informed.
Cheers.

Thought's as i watch it.

-Great to see some real indigenous people doing well, clearly got the first thing needed to do well a good Education (yes speaking about that now)

- The vigilante stuff, sad to hear, but im sure there is two sides to this, i do recall seeing something on ACA or similar show from this area where residents were complaining that nothing was being done about crime from known Indigenous teen perpetrators, victims even had clear video footage from home CTV, basically police go soft on them because of the racial element and the age factor and yeah sadly when police and courts dont do their job, so there become a point where the community says if you wont we will, happens everywhere in the world.

-Asking people on the street on the voice, didn't show any views from No voters, okay im starting to see this is not a balanced show or impartial.

- Views that public dont know much about the referendum probably a good thing for the Yes side as the more people learn the more the Yes polls drop,.

- Old mate spinning shit about how indigenous people don't have a say which is BS as Dumai post above shows, not to mention we all know the Voice doesn't need to be put in referendrum (which is the aspect almost all no voters have, including the sovereignty movement)

-Okay im just starting to see privileged successful indigenous now romantcing the past and being totally unrealistic, and just making excuses and talking shit

-Oh god i thought the foxy Doctor was the half sane one, then bang she goes on some nutty rant about 40 min in, it's actually very sad that people think like this, especially when educated.

-Ok some more very bias misinformation garbage by some purple haired drag queen this shows getting worst as we go on

Ok its done.

-Flick though other eposides ...okay no surprised they aren't talking to any conservative Indigenous people on the No side. (there is many more than just Jacinta and Warren)

-See the sovereign crew get a say though.

Overall it started alright but went down hill as things went on and just become propaganda.

While the show is pretty much obviously a pro yes show, its not a balanced or impartial at all look at the facts type thing, i did like both the host though and they did a professional job.

File under= SBS/ABC bias propagada.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 6:00pm

Mr Gautama is that you?
Om mani padme hum

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 6:06pm

No it's just Indo with his dad-bod.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 6:07pm

Nothing wrong with a dad-bod.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 6:45pm

mike drop
(mic for the nerds)

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 7:57pm
Supafreak wrote:

https://youtube.com/shorts/Rw7d7gApFt8?feature=share

Ha!
YES!
Nailed it!!
Thanks Supa.

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 8:01pm

Indo wrote 'Okay im just starting to see privileged successful indigenous now romantcing the past and being totally unrealistic, and just making excuses and talking shit'
Seriously, what is wrong with you?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 8:34pm

Mate i call out BS when i see it, he was talking shit.

Got a problem with that, thats your problem not mine.

BTW. I havent watched all his videos yet, but just watched this, seems pretty balanced and informative so far.

&t=13s

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 8:47pm

Much ado about nothin suss...Qldurrz would consider indo's comments as some high brow moderate!
Qldurrz have hit 110% [No] vote & still campaign for [No means No] while jumpin' down yer throat...
[No] Voters here are well rabid & will hunt ya down to yer home or hospital & do a tribal dance.

Always starts with a Welcome to country like this...
Wot did they ever invent...can't see any border walls or piles of shit like our fucked up failed mob.
Why should we only recognize them & not us...@%*! Them.
Why we gotta keep givin' them money to then turn around & rob us!

Dance has them seein' Red thru red eye balls, raisin' their voice over other rabid [No] dancers.
Usually raise their voice above the neighbourhood.
All spittin' fire balls as fast & furious over all bloody eared shell shocked victims within ear shot.

This can be in yer own Home, Hospital Waiting Rooms, Station or Shopping Mall.

They start seated but then start to yell & rise up & away they go...everyone! Everyone must listen.
That's exactly the point...these Bullies command all within' ear shot...they're preachers!
Can be yer brother or In Laws it don't matter...all a free to vent in this dumbarse Reality TV show.
Well! Yeah...always think there's some hidden camera that sets 'em off.

Never enough expletives they gotta do their dance...
Fingering a Ring around the Ear as in Stupid the bang on the Forehead to wake up...
Chest beating like some Tarzan put down...
Pointing with forked fingers from their eyes to yours or mine...
They advance to Aboriginal Emu dance then Bird Song...waving pretend spears.
Play their Didgeridoo...(Don't ask!) Always looks like their suckin' on a Bong...ya only wish!

Yes! Of course this is tolerated in Qld...most would expect to cop a performance during each outing.
Like tbb said, can cop it in stereo in yer own home...Yes! It's quite normal to be abused over & over!
Especially by those that swear to love you the most...sign of respect it is!

So who's doin' it... & How long is a standard performance?
You'd be surprised...it's not reserved to [L] but equally full Lifelong [ALP] voters.
Mostly Hodads over the age of 60 but 90 year olds are more lively...off they go!
Whole routine lasts about the same as a pop song but it drags on forever...like Bohemian Rhapsody!
The dance usually finishes with the finger cutting motion of one's throat from ear to ear...

Can nod once or a few times if it's a real good rant...
Try not to mumble...coz they think ya missed a trick & that just invites an encore performance...
Fuckin' exhausting just watchin' but they're ever ready to go again.
tbb can recall several knockout Voice winning performances...left punk tbb shell shocked by the power!
Best of the best...Qldurrz will take some beating as Biggest Voice Bullies!

So is tbb sayin' they're Bullies...Yes! These are Expert Bullies in real life!
People are already shit scared of them in Calm mode...The Voice has activated them into Bullybots!
The best Bullies make the best Voice performers...near all of them are also alcoholics!
They're so fucked up they don't mind if ya laugh thru their performance...rye smirking is tolerated!

As said...just don't laugh at the end of their performance...that's disrespectful to Aborigines..Huh!
How! The Bully will show you thru interpretive dance...Recall tbb said, don't...just nod & STFU!
Qld...Perfect one day...Voice auditions everyday since!

Performance goes a bit like this...Shocked by the Power

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 9:18pm

"Much ado about nothin suss...Qldurrz would consider indo's comments as some high brow moderate!"

totally!

he's just a whipping boy for ideologues...

they'd do better to cast their ire on albo and co.

albo looking a right fuckwit spending last 2 days trying his hardest not to utter the word he once spoke freely

and it seems his little deflection tactic is about to bite him on the bum

foi is a bitch

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 9:16pm

dishonesty is a bitch...

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 9:16pm

Gold tbb!

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 9:16pm

Gold tbb!

southernraw's picture
southernraw's picture
southernraw Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 9:27pm

Indo, i actually read that one post of yours as a courtesy for you watching the link i posted.
Reading through your post, it quickly dawned on me, that what i can deduce about you, as a person, is that your heart is filled with fear and hatred.
There can be no other reason for the sickly way you spread your venom on this topic.
Anyway, go about your business.
A wise man or two above me a few posts ago, W.H and G.S and a coupla others have shone the light on the best way to deal with you and your energy.
#infoISthevoice

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 9:54pm

My nephew just got back from a trip down south and they stopped off at Canberra and visited Old Parliament House and across the road at the tent embassy was a huge banner saying (paraphrasing here) 'Say NO to the Voice'.

I'm a little perplexed.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 3 Aug 2023 at 10:01pm

Tell me about it Zen.