Knee Replacements

Surfalot67's picture
Surfalot67 started the topic in Friday, 2 Jul 2021 at 9:20am

Hey guys, at 54 I'm staring down the barrel of a full knee replacement. Had an arthroscopy at 18 and 20. Now its full arthritis and bone on bone. Anyone have a similar experience or have been through the same? Any non-surgical treatments that help? Fark.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 3 Jul 2021 at 2:01pm
poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Saturday, 3 Jul 2021 at 9:32pm

Hi Surfalot, mines similar but not as bad as yours. But scans show bone rubbing in places. It got so bad 5 years ago that I bodyboarded for a summer. Tried PRP therapy where they inject your own plasma back in but that was a waste of money. Actually found a good rugby physio who put me onto a good strengthening programme and my quads are stronger than they've ever been. It actually made a real difference and also warming up my knees before surfing with a series of squats and rotations works too. Some days they're still sore but mostly pretty good now. It was especially sore trying to surf small waves and push bottom turns particularly. The occasional voltaren too if I expect to surf more than once a day but only 25mg. I'm mid 50s and hopefully don't need a knee replacement. My mum got both hers done 10 years ago and she was never as mobile again

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Sunday, 4 Jul 2021 at 8:21am

G'day Surfalot. Once you've been through the 'quad strengthening / voltaran popping' stage and it's still giving you grief it's time to have an op. Technology is so good these days!

My right knee (back leg) started to give me problems in my early 50's all caused by a stretched PCL from footy in my 20's.

Scans showed zero meniscus left on the medial side so just bone on bone grinding away. I was able to have a 'partial knee replacement' as the lateral side was fine. That was 2 years ago and at the age of 57 now it feels as good as my left knee. Absolute full range of movement and one of the best decisions Ive ever made.

(I've got pics of the knee xray post surgery but don't know how to post em)

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Sunday, 4 Jul 2021 at 8:54am

Where’s uppity when you need him?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 4 Jul 2021 at 10:52am

Even if you sign up for surgery, get onto the physio asap anyway as you'll have a better result post surgery if you prehab.

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Sunday, 4 Jul 2021 at 1:33pm

2nd that!

I planned my op a year out in consultation with the surgeon (and to qualify for the 12 month pre existing injury cover conditions on the private health fund I joined).

Rode my mountain bike heaps and did weights on the quad 3 or 4 times a week. Made the rehab that much easier to the point I was off crutches in 5 days and surfing 2 and a bit months after the op all with the surgeons approval.

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Sunday, 4 Jul 2021 at 1:40pm

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 25 Dec 2022 at 11:40am