Surfing dads on parental leave

Stevenraman's picture
Stevenraman started the topic in Sunday, 24 Jan 2021 at 12:17pm

Hi all, any surfing dads in the Brisbane or Gold Coast area out there taking parental leave over the next 4-6 months. Looking for strategies to optimise surfing time whilst juggling dad-lyfe.

Cheers

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 24 Jan 2021 at 2:29pm

bump

Stevenraman's picture
Stevenraman's picture
Stevenraman Tuesday, 9 Feb 2021 at 2:04pm

Thanks for the bump. Doesn't seem to be any bites though :(.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 9 Feb 2021 at 2:31pm

my mate and I used to get the kids down under the pandanus and take turns doing laps.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Tuesday, 9 Feb 2021 at 3:42pm

For me it's about squeezing in the early/late sessions, and prioritising mum time.

When my kids (7 months and 2.5 years) are sleeping well, they're in bed asleep before 7:30pm, so you've got time after that to do your own thing (negotiated of course). Equally, they're up at around 7am - so the dawnie is possible. Also, when I had 1 kid - the mid day nap session was do-able too, as they usually should nap 1-2 hours. if they're sick/not sleeping well or whatever then take what you can but be prepared to go without for a few days.

Then just make sure you prioritise mum time - make an effort to take the kid out yourself for 1-2 hours or more. Offer lots of break time etc. and I'm sure she'll be happy to do the same if you wanted to go surf the whole morning or whatever.

Unfortunately for me my wife doesn't surf, and isn't particularly beachy. But - that makes it more of a 'me time' thing, going to the beach.

Never managed to hook up another surfing dad to do what Freeride said - that sounds like a winner too.

*edit - just remembered you poor souls in QLD miss out on the evening daylight in summer - but of course get the morning sun.