Tom Carroll spruiking new surf helmet

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 9:22am

Recall an image, any image, of TC in his prime and there's a good chance he's wearing a helmet: streaking off the bottom at big Pipe, screaming into huge Speedies, or the aborted barrel at OTW taken by a board-mounted camera (taken a second after the image that graced his book cover).

Tom's back in headwear, not made by Gath but DMC, who make flippers, and the helmet is soft and looks like a water polo cap. Looks like it was first made for bodysurfers. Interestingly, Tom's been wearing it when foiling to avoid serious injury with the blade but in this vid talks about wearing it while surfing.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 9:23am

Looks like it sits a bit tighter than Gath helmets so perhaps less prone to whiplash when hitting the water at speed.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 9:39am

I saw on FB Teza Mckenna just yesterday spruiking something very similar. I was wondering about how much sound they blocked, but by the looks of it there are little holes where the ear is. Wonder if I wrote the manufacturers a letter they would send me a sample to try? (yea I know...dreaming)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 10:23am

Was goig to say they need a small Peak...but its has one just not showing properley in Toms vid .

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 11:20am

Andy Caps!

If you know (and you're helmet inclined), you know.

Accept no substitutes!

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 1:26pm

** if you get slammed onto your head and your helmet is harder than the vertebrae in your neck you are fucked

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 1:49pm

** if you get slammed onto your head and your helmet is harder than the vertebrae in your neck you are fucked

if you get slammed that hard on your head and you are not wearing a helmet, you are fucked anyway

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 2:41pm

Oh shityeah,any headwear is probably better than none. The footy style helmets look OK for blunt force type impacts and you'd have to be unlucky for a serious finchop to get between those foam segments. I was just quoting something I once read in Australian Standards for sporting or recreational head protection requirements. A bulletproof shell is, aparrently,not actually better than something with a little bit of give.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 2:53pm

Doesn't look so bad and you can't really be that vain when it comes to protecting your noggin. Looks way less cumbersome than a Gaff too.

Same with snowboarding, i'm always helmeted, it feels so unnatural not to be.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 4:34pm

Im surprissed there hasn't been more focus on this since the Gath days especially with the direction surfing has taken in surfing waves that were once considered to dangerous to surf.

After hitting the reef a few years back in Indo and cracking ribs and puncturing my lung, im now really conscious in Indo surfing over shallow coral and kind of paranoid about hitting my head as i now realise how easy it could happen.

Back home not so much as mostly surf over sand or reefs i surf are not too hairy.

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 7:28pm

My friend in Nusa Tenggara area has started to wear one which surprised me as he goes anything, Must be a point when you weigh it up

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Friday, 24 Jul 2020 at 11:55pm

Who cares what ya look like when ya getting toobed of ya protected noogin