A veggie garden thread

Patrick's picture
Patrick started the topic in Wednesday, 8 Apr 2020 at 8:26pm

Is there a gardening thread? I haven't seen one but I've seen lots of posts about people's veggie growing tips. How about we help each other out?

Planted first garden in about ten years today.
Lettuce, broccoli, swedes, kale, thyme, parsley. Raised bed under straw. Peas and carrots go in tonorrow.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 6:22pm

No worries JD....if you don't want to use your fresh chilli stock, the supermarket cheap bottled chilli paste version is a cheap alternative..
Good luck veggie brother.......

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 6:28pm

Sounds like a potent mix there Megzee, I'm going to give it a try. Would not want to get it in the eyes either...

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 6:36pm

It's a beauty Seaslug.......yep the eyes are a no no.......and don't go for a piss during the manufacturing process.......if you get my drift...
It's one of those ones you can dose up pretty heavily but the straining process is key so as not to block the spray bottle....

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 6:42pm

Yes the old chilli d..., roger on the straining. I recon granny should coat the bamboo whipping stick with it

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 6:46pm

Mate, I reckon that old Mekong Tiger has a few Viet Kong tricks up her sleeve and chilli would be on the light side...

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 9 Dec 2020 at 6:52pm

I can only imagine....

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 8:45am

The old beer trick Indo mentioned works a treat on snails and slugs. Just make sure you don't own a Labrador as well like I did who slurped the whole lot up early the next day slugs, snails and all.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 9:14am

haha, what a good Labrador

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 3:03pm

Forget the Battle of the Bands, its the Battle of the Birds

https://ibb.co/c6HZDYF

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 3:31pm

Ring necks !

Been too long since I’ve seen one of them.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Monday, 14 Dec 2020 at 3:55pm

Bloody things 28's.

Mr Einstein has a sore foot so came for a sit down and bit of TLC

https://ibb.co/37MPphd
https://ibb.co/52wbhGH

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 25 Dec 2020 at 10:21am

Chrissy eve goodness. The rains have come and the land is alive. You can just about feel the greenery pushing up from under your feet.

Olives

More mulberries ( ! )

Lychees

Summer citrus cranks onwards

Blueberries still happening

Pineapples coming on

Longans

Bananas loving the rainfall

Avos gaining weight and numbers with the water

Black sapote in flower

Jaboticaba showing

Heidi mangoes looking good still

Persimmons

Macadamias

Green green green

Calypso mangoes

Calypso goodness

This time last year was burnt , brown and depressing

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Friday, 25 Dec 2020 at 10:54am

Nice one Blowin, happy Christmas to you and yours

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 25 Dec 2020 at 12:15pm

Looks wonderful, Blowin!

Happy Christmas and eat well.

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Friday, 25 Dec 2020 at 2:00pm

Serious fruit tree envy there Blowin, everything is thriving! You're not wrong with the comparison to this time last year. The environment seemed hostile back then, and it's just lush and bountiful this year. How big/mature is your jaboticaba tree? Wait until you see that thing in full flush, it's a sight to behold. You probably don't want to hear it, but the waves have been very good over my way!

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Tuesday, 29 Dec 2020 at 12:11pm

Not my place, but my mothers. Every year for the last 30 or more she has always grown vegies in the old above-ground-swimming-pool-spot. This year at xmas I noticed she has put in some netting, and it works really well.
I've had gardens on and off for many years, but like others struggle to maintain the motivation when my vegies get eaten by birds and pests. Anyway might give it another go next year. There's a lot of inspiration on here so thanks again for sharing.

IMG-20201229-115745-2

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 29 Dec 2020 at 12:16pm

I'm getting more into livestock.
so much easier converting carbon, nitrogen and oxygen into proteins via animals than plants.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 21 Apr 2021 at 3:38pm

Pretty sure it was Supafreak who alerted me to the identity of the Nam Doc Mai mangoes we’ve got growing. He was correct. As soon as I tasted them I was transported to SE Asia. Not sure if it’s because the flavour is so evocative of great times overseas, because we had relatively few Nam Doc Mai fruit amongst a sea of other mango types or whether the Nam Doc Mai are simply the tastiest of all varieties, but they were soon a firm favourite of the harvest.

This inspired me to try and propagate a few more Nam Doc Mai trees from the seeds of our sole existing tree. It’s always rewarding growing something particularly from seed and especially if it’s useful or edible. Interesting that the Nam Doc Mai is often polyembryonic, meaning that it can get multiple sprouts off the single seed. Apparently one of the sprouts is the result of sexual reproduction and therefore the fruit will differ slightly from the parent tree, whilst the rest of the sprouts are pure clones of the parent so that their fruit will taste exactly like the mother tree.

Cant wait to try them all and find out for sure which is which.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Saturday, 5 Jun 2021 at 9:18am

Yum, I've eaten a lot of Nam Doc Mais in Thailand.

What's everyone doing in the garden now? I got a good crop of spuds earlier in the year, double what was in this pic. It was my first time growing them.

Now I've moved to a new place with established olive trees and I've started pickling this lot. They should be ready in about four weeks. My first time doing this as well.

The previous owners set this place up well, lots of herbs, small fruit n citrus trees, dug up carrots the other day and pak choi and other greens are going well. Spud plants scattered around too.

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Tuesday, 7 Sep 2021 at 9:46pm

those olives look amazing.

I'll try and get a pic of our latest mulberry haul. The fruit has just gone from barely there to fucken everywhere. So fast the Grey Cuckoo Shrikes weren't aware they'd come good (they have now though, the bastards). Mango trees are heavy with flowers too. Meant to be a wetter than average spring up here on Sunshine Coast so hopefully the black fungus does get a foothold in the flowers as a result.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 7:32am

Big head start moving into a place with established trees, Patrick.

What's your plans for the olives and how you gonna prepare them?

We had a quiet winter down here. My boys all wanted to do some gardening, which meant they planted seedlings then didn't give them a second thought till they bolted.

I'm currently preparing the beds for a big summer. I've also got a passionfruit vine that I planted late last summer that, because it's facing due north, grew all winter and is now occupying twenty metres of fence up to three metres high. The flowers are just starting to appear. Hoping for a purple bonanza.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 8:11am

Stu, I salted them for one month and then used this recipe, minus the chilli, that I got from the guy who planted them:
'Sterilise jars. Place 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil , little salt, chilli ,lemon and top with water - make sure water just covers olives.
Seal with bakers sheet and lid and enjoy. Leave in jars about 1 month.'

I added some red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar to some of the jars and chucked in some parsley.

Started eating them a couple of weeks ago. They're ok, the ones in red wime vinegar best so far. I've given away a couple of jars, haven't got feedback on what they think of them yet.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 10:05am

EBF11314-1-AC1-40-DB-B85-D-3-B260-E4-FE2-BA
EB3776-EC-9-B6-F-4699-BD4-A-5-CE873-ECF6-B5
3794-EAA9-5-D16-4-C12-8-B13-3-F07-E6-E2-A041
13-E93831-F5-EE-4201-8-AB6-6654670-FD60-F
ABE114-D6-7-C2-B-4-F6-F-96-E1-EED56343-DE01

https://ibb.co/PFdLJd4
https://ibb.co/27yjvyk
https://ibb.co/7WxrXc0
https://ibb.co/WGSJcgP
https://ibb.co/5BWkCc9
https://ibb.co/H2J1xkN

Love this time of the year. Fruit tress blossoming, heirloom broccoli going nuts, and worm farms doing their thing.
Started the worm farms after having constant trouble with rats and mice in the compost bins.
The worm tea that the farms produce is possibly the best thing for the veggies and fruit that I’ve seen. They love it!

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 10:08am

Is that a peach tree? Wait till you see mine after I gave it a prune a little while back.

That is a serious worm orgy!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 10:10am

Nice one GF.

Spring is the worst time in sub-tropical NSW (imo).

soil moisture dries up, all the winter veggies bolt to seed or get nailed by pests.

Temperate fruit trees do OK, but fruit fly gets 90% of anything with a soft skin (stone fruit).

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 10:12am

They are peach and nectarine’s. Only a couple of years old.
Also have apples, apricot, couple of plums and olives.
Yeah the worms are amazing, wish I had of got in to it earlier

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 10:13am

The fruit fly must be so frustrating fr76

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 10:23am

Not anymore.
I appreciate the peach tree blossom and once a blue moon you find one without the fruit fly grubs in it.

too hard trying to trap or spray.

might get a few mangoes this year.

Fruit is a hard task around here......getting it past the fruit fly, possums, rats, bats and birds is not easy.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 10:24am

I pretty much give up gardening from now until March.

might grow some sunflowers for fun.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 10:48am

Looks unreal GF. Realise I've gotta get my seeds in the ground ASAP.

I usually wait for the first NEer, but with the odd weather this year that would've meant June.

Also, Patrick, your language appears subdued regarding the taste of the olives, or am I just imagining that?

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 11:25am

It's been a while since I had a garden. Probably a bit put off because I wasn't real successful. Whether it was the animals digging up the beds, birds eating the tomatoes, bugs, insects and snails doing their bit, they all added to my gardening frustrations and disappointments.

But this year I have at least made a start and got the seedlings into my raised garden beds. Thanks for the inspiration fellas!

It's called the 'Salad Sandwich' garden. It is inspired by the salad sandwiches I used to get as a teenager from the local corner shop at the beach. At the time I had a bit of a 'pimple' issue so was motivated to improve my diet...

Lettuce, Onion, Carrots, Beetroot, and tomatoes. Put those together with a bit of salt and pepper and you have imho a delectable sandwich. (Cucumber not welcome sorry)

Plus some Celery for the spag bog and strawberries for dessert.

I have also implemented a method to keep the animal diggers out of my beds and at least keep the birds from eating my tomatoes by utilising an old swing set frame and some bird-netting.

Will let you know how it goes, or should I say grows.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 12:06pm
stunet wrote:

I've also got a passionfruit vine that I planted late last summer that, because it's facing due north, grew all winter and is now occupying twenty metres of fence up to three metres high. The flowers are just starting to appear. Hoping for a purple bonanza.

Stu my vine is on its last legs but I have had a purple bonanza the last 4 years. They either fruit or they don't. Each year instead of wasting what we couldn't eat I put a heap of pulp into ice trays and once frozen transferred them to a freezer bag. You can then enjoy a cold treat in the off season or a tasty iceblock for that vodka and soda!!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 8 Sep 2021 at 12:29pm

Great time of year right now to throw around some dynamic lifter type fertiliser especially before some rain and also great time to mulch to ensure the least amount of soil moisture loss in the warmer months, makes a huge difference.

If a vegetable garden a mulch like sugarcane mulch that releases nitrogen as breaks down is great. (bark type mulches are great for general garden use, but pull nitrogen from the soil as break down)

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Thursday, 16 Sep 2021 at 10:03am

Yes Stu, a touch subdued because I didn't think much of the second jar. The first one was terrific though and a neighbour liked the second batch. Will see how the other jars taste soon. Each jar was cured with a slightly different recipe.

There are about eight trees and I mixed all the fruit together but the guy who planted them said I should keep them seperate as they're not all the same variety. I'll do that next time.

I made them so they're barely bitter, almost sweet.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Thursday, 16 Sep 2021 at 10:05am

"It's called the salad sandwich garden"
That's the way to go, just plant what you like eating.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 16 Sep 2021 at 10:09am

Way ahead of you Patrick- my fried chicken is coming up nicely and I should get a nice harvest from my pizza vine.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 12:39pm

No posts here for a few months. Back in September I did everything right for a summer bounty from the vege garden, yet it's been the worst growing season I've had yet. Almost every plant failed to deliver, even the regulars such as tomatoes and zucchinis - which I usually get in abundance. Ten or so toms, zero zucks was this year's count.

Reckon it's just been too moist, and with too little overall sunlight. Even the companion plants aren't going that well, so the bees aren't coming around to do their work. And all the while the weeds are upwardly mobile. Can strip the beds of them and three days later we're ankle deep into the next cycle.

Only things that have done OK are chillis; got a few Habanero plants sporting shiny orange bombs.

As for the mild eating...nup. Was hoping my passionfruit vine, which I indulged and allowed to take up a huge amount of space, is flowering yet not fruiting.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 1:08pm

Was a bust for mangoes which, considered last years gangbusters crop is to be expected and the diversion of energy to growth instead of fruit is a glorious consolation.

Avocados showing heavy yield but I’m a bit suspect about so much rain. Some other wet years have shown little hard pits in the flesh. I think it was calcification of some kind? Though last year we got away without too much drama after even more precipitation than recently. Cause or correlation?

Fingers crossed.

Edit ….just been reading and the pips are result of insect attack, not excess rain.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:28pm

All i grow are chillies, super hot chillies like "carolina reaper" and semi hot chillies like " birdseye".
Use the birdseye for home made mie goreng and nasi goreng or tacos and burritos.
The best nutrient ive found for chillies is called "Chilli Focus" by Growth Technology nutrients.
They eat it up with huge yeilds of potent chillies even in soil, but can be grown in coco coir too. or Perlite doesnt matter too much the medium.Excellent product.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:36pm

I didn't bother with a vegie garden this year, knew it was going to be wet.

still managed a good crop of rocket and lettuce from self seeding plants.

got some herbs and Turmeric growing.

Enough to get something fresh out of the garden every day.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:03pm

I'd counter that it's been very good up here. The good rain and less intense heat days = greater soil moisture, are definitely factors. Have managed to keep the salad greens going the whole season so far (lettuce - multiple varieties, chicory/dandelion, rocket, purslane [a weed, so easy], Ethiopian kale), cucumbers, cucamelons everywhere, random self-sown diakon radish, carrot hanging in there but not so great tasting now, lufa out of control, as is the sweet potato Those last 2 require weekly pruning to prevent them taking over the entire patch.

And heaps of fruit - blueberries awesome right now, usual massive amounts of citrus (meyer lemon, tahitian lime, finger limes, round limes, other unidentified, maybe yuzu?, although the mandarins have mostly dropped to the ground), bananas, a few mangoes, figs coming on, but another failed avocado crop (trees still young, oldest is 5 and I thought this would be the year - fair bit of fruit set, but then dropped). I've begun to realise the extent of the damage the Fruit Spotting Bug does to a wide variety of crops - I understand it is an emerging major pest. This includes for the macadamias - a decent crop has set and the harvest is just now underway, but lots of young nuts were lost to the damn bug. I will be trying a parasitic wasp program next season, similar to what I've been using for the nut borer grub, which is proving quite effective, if you get the timing right.

Now prepping beds for the autumn plantings - I plan to get a large mixed brassica crop in this year, lots of different brocolli, cabbage, cauliflower etc. Get prepping guys, it should be a good autumn/winter cropping season ahead!

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:03pm

I'd counter that it's been very good up here. The good rain and less intense heat days = greater soil moisture, are definitely factors. Have managed to keep the salad greens going the whole season so far (lettuce - multiple varieties, chicory/dandelion, rocket, purslane [a weed, so easy], Ethiopian kale), cucumbers, cucamelons everywhere, random self-sown diakon radish, carrot hanging in there but not so great tasting now, lufa out of control, as is the sweet potato Those last 2 require weekly pruning to prevent them taking over the entire patch.

And heaps of fruit - blueberries awesome right now, usual massive amounts of citrus (meyer lemon, tahitian lime, finger limes, round limes, other unidentified, maybe yuzu?, although the mandarins have mostly dropped to the ground), bananas, a few mangoes, figs coming on, but another failed avocado crop (trees still young, oldest is 5 and I thought this would be the year - fair bit of fruit set, but then dropped). I've begun to realise the extent of the damage the Fruit Spotting Bug does to a wide variety of crops - I understand it is an emerging major pest. This includes for the macadamias - a decent crop has set and the harvest is just now underway, but lots of young nuts were lost to the damn bug. I will be trying a parasitic wasp program next season, similar to what I've been using for the nut borer grub, which is proving quite effective, if you get the timing right.

Now prepping beds for the autumn plantings - I plan to get a large mixed brassica crop in this year, lots of different brocolli, cabbage, cauliflower etc. Get prepping guys, it should be a good autumn/winter cropping season ahead!

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:04pm

sorry, doubled up...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:05pm

Yep, keen to get a good brassica crop this year with the soil moisture high.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:10pm
GreenJam wrote:

I've begun to realise the extent of the damage the Fruit Spotting Bug does to a wide variety of crops - I understand it is an emerging major pest. This includes for the macadamias - a decent crop has set and the harvest is just now underway, but lots of young nuts were lost to the damn bug. I will be trying a parasitic wasp program next season, !

The best pesiticide for those, and whiteflies and many other other pests including mealy bug was a product call confidor but since it kills bees its been made illegal.
Also i think monsanto made it which if you didnt know was a very questionable company.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 5:39pm

yeah, thanks groundswell - I'm aware of monsanto and wont be supporting them, or Bayer as it is now, I recall they bought out monsanto, suckers, now copping all the old monsanto lawsuits

but also no chemical pesticides here, and confidor, while I believe a somewhat 'gentler' one, still makes the produce non-organic. I'll probably try some pyrethrum spray and try to get some of the bugs directly, but its the eggs to target to get the best effect. Those parasitic wasps, tiny things, can do a great job. Also key is trying ensure those 'good bugs' thrive naturally, and you get some balance in the system, you'll always lose some produce to pests, but that can be greatly reduced to an acceptable amount. Good research going on around this with macadamias, keeping biodiverse grassy/weedy strips between the rows rather than the industry norm of mowed lawn, and demonstrating the population booms of the good bugs. Here, I am integrating the macadamias in with both planted and natural local 'dry' rainforest restoration. I'm hoping the species and structural diversity will more mimic the natural environment of the macadamias thereby assisting with natural pest control and only minimal intervention needed. We'll see... So far, pretty good, but early days

there's some

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 5:41pm

Thats interesting GreenJam.

always wondered why maccas need so much spraying when they are native to the area.

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 5:42pm

sorry again, disregard 'there's some'

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 6:09pm

Still waiting on my native finger limes to ripen , it's been forever. Some varieties take up to 10 months to ripen apparently. Can't pick em early because they taste bitter and don't ripen off the tree.
The plant had 3 fruits last year and this year it has about 30 , despite a massive early fruit fall.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 6:12pm

I remember seeing the "beneficial bug" episode on landline. Was so good. Well worth a watch.