Show us your photos

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley started the topic in Tuesday, 7 Apr 2020 at 6:11pm

In semi lockdown I'm finally sorting through a lifetime of photos and inspired by what Craig and Andy recently posted I thought why not.
We travel a fair bit and there has to be some crackers in the vaults.
Good if we follow the Swellnet tradition of not naming or being too obvious.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 16 May 2022 at 9:40pm

Just made it home as the rain hit. Perfect timing.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 6:44pm

Australia is pretty unbeatable!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 6:45pm

Also great shots and updates GSCO and Blackers.

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 8:18pm

Blackers. What coast you on?

Craigoss. You captured some iconic Australian essence there. Love no. 2 wit 1 a close second!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 8:31pm
Nick Bone wrote:

Blackers. What coast you on?

Craigoss. You captured some iconic Australian essence there. Love no. 2 wit 1 a close second!

Blackers is an MP resident I believe bone

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 9:16pm

Great shots Craig. Was thinking Flinders Ranges, but then the Mt Connor lookalike threw me. Looks like a beautiful trip.
Top end of the MP is home Mr Bone.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 24 May 2022 at 9:27pm

Thanks Craig and beautiful shots of Australia. They make me miss home, but in consolation I think I've found my favourite little traditional French stone cottage along the Brittany coast, overlooking a nice beach I've been surfing the past couple wks:

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 6:58am

craig ,,,that second shot of yours above is exceptional .........beautiful

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 25 May 2022 at 7:08am

Thanks Blackers and yep Flinders. Thanks Simba, yeah stoked with how these came out. Stunning region!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 3 Jun 2022 at 10:37am

Heres one of Jack robbo at twelve years old at g land, last time he went there twelve years ago...photo by Joli
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=559302878898118&set=pcb.55930290556...
and
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=559302875564785&set=pcb.55930290556...

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Friday, 3 Jun 2022 at 4:41pm

The best my phone could manage. Milky way was horizon to horizon. Magic night.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 3 Jun 2022 at 9:12pm

Lovely work sprout. What’s the display in the foreground?

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Saturday, 4 Jun 2022 at 5:02am

Cheers blackers. The Field of Light, Uluru.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 4 Jun 2022 at 12:39pm

GSCO that looks so good. Half ya luck
Sprout nuce pic with a phone. Knew where it was. Love the end of the day in the outback especially the sand country.
This one was with an old iPhone 6 a few years ago.
F191-D61-A-E42-D-471-A-8-F65-41-F64-C35-A7-BF

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 4 Jun 2022 at 12:50pm

Edit. Nuce is the new nice. Off course
Edit again. Obviously my pic isn’t sand country

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 4 Jun 2022 at 1:07pm

Great stuff gents.,makes me feel like I need another trip back to the centre. As for phones, they can do a great job dealing with lighting that even top end cameras can struggle with. The built-in software is amazing, and much easier than stuffing about in photoshop.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 4 Jun 2022 at 1:33pm

Centre baby. I agree Blackers.
I love it out there.
80239684-CEC8-4-DB3-86-DD-24-B38-C3-C90-F1

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 4 Jun 2022 at 10:28pm

I gotta say pics lose a lot of colour and vibrancy when posted on here. No doubt someone knows why. I’m a technology nincompoop when it comes to these matters

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 4 Jun 2022 at 10:53pm

Your phone has algorithms that dial up the saturation and contrast when displaying an image. You need to post process (photoshop or the like) to get the same pop in a file upload or print. I liked the tones in your shots so wouldn't be too worried. :)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 4 Jun 2022 at 11:18pm

Thanks for that and thanks for that mate

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 5 Jun 2022 at 1:28pm

Just looking back, its been nearly 10 years. Time to return. Pic 3 is possibly the furthest from the coast you can be in Aus.
1-1
2-1
3-1

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 5 Jun 2022 at 5:53pm

Makes me wanna hit the road again Blackers. What’d you have in that trailer? Tent? swags?

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 5 Jun 2022 at 5:59pm

Pic 3. Devils Marbles?

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 5 Jun 2022 at 6:12pm

Long dusty road to paradise
4-DF0953-D-334-F-480-C-B451-1-D90-EB2-ABB04
A795-D407-0-C2-F-40-E3-8-BA0-1-F2846-FBD8-C2
E187-B1-BF-C1-F8-4-BE4-BC23-5-EC3190-DE2-A0

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 5 Jun 2022 at 6:18pm

Awesome stuff guys.
I think I'm coming down with the travel bug.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Sunday, 5 Jun 2022 at 6:28pm

Lovely pics fellas :-)

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 5 Jun 2022 at 7:02pm

Great shots and that first one of Uluru Blackers is incredible!

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Sunday, 5 Jun 2022 at 7:34pm

Love the inland images.
Off to do the Larapinta trail this year, can’t wait….. fingers crossed the east coast rains don’t follow me there!

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 5 Jun 2022 at 8:20pm

Geez that’s hardcore. Awesome!! Are you doing the entire track?

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 5 Jun 2022 at 9:10pm
seeds wrote:

Makes me wanna hit the road again Blackers. What’d you have in that trailer? Tent? swags?

We went with the pop-up tent option, the kids had one each, and self-inflating 4wd mattresses which took up way too much space but were super comfortable. Doing it again I would just go with swags. Had a gazebo for shelter. Heaps of fun, the kids had a ball.
Good luck on the Larapinta Distracted, its on our list too.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 5 Jun 2022 at 9:28pm

Nice. Those mattresses are bulky. I admire the simplicity. You don’t need much even with kids to see it all. We did a 6 week trip years ago with the lifestyle inhibitors in a tent all crammed into a Pajero. Outback QLD Red Centre up to Darwin and surrounds down through centre again to Coober Pedy to Barossa Valley across to Echuca up to Perisher and then home. Was so good and you don’t need much to make it happen

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Monday, 6 Jun 2022 at 6:58am

Just did a week on the Larapinta Distracted, fantastic experience. Be prepared for mice. They're low-key baiting them in places (not meant to but they've bred rather well recently). Keep bags etc. food free before you even leave their smell is that good, even nibbling on people's fingernails at night because of food smell. Some spots they weren't around and they're pretty cute but you'll sleep better without them in your swag haha.

Great photos guys, what a country hey.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 6 Jun 2022 at 7:13am

after cyclone seroja mice invaded the north west starting in carnarvon then moving south. half of kalbarri is still tarped up so mice got in a lot of houses. we only had two or three mice in our place but we were prepared and baited and killed them.

DudeSweetDudeSweet's picture
DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 7 Jun 2022 at 8:02am

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Tuesday, 7 Jun 2022 at 10:15am

I’d heard the mice were bad but nibbling on finger nails is next level! Hopefully the cold weather slows them down.

DudeSweetDudeSweet Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 4:08pm

We were in the Pilbara building a fertiliser plant when my parents on the other side of the country told me they wanted to retire and relocate somewhere nice without neighbours who were within cooee. As it was the buildup to the wet season we didn’t need much more urging than that to get the fuck out of there so we shot down to the South West for a few weeks to shed the Pilbara drinking fat and regain the sea legs before we shots across the bottom to the East coast.

A nice November / December of waves and good times found myself and the missus fighting fit and ready to take on the next chapter. A bit of Christmas cheer catching up with old friends and then we were searching for properties on the Nth Coast hinterland. We found 25 acres of North facing excellence and set about building a place for my parents. Living in a reclaimed banana packing shed whilst we worked.

House built, parents stoked, we were missing the Wild West and said our goodbyes. A few months to get there, we spent a couple of months catching up with friends in Tassie on the way. He was state champ and had a comp to attend so we tagged along. My lady took photos and sold them to Rip Curl. I entered cause the surf was off chops and wound up doing better than my mate. Continued heading West and was running shy of cash after the purchase over East, coming through South Oz when we got a call from a mate in a quiet part of the Margs region. He needed a bit of work done. A few waves and good times later and we pulled up at his place.

We wound up manicuring 107 pounds in 7 weeks in the caravan out the back of his place. Unbelievable gear. Body stoned the whole time. Plenty of epic waves and diving and spearing on the hookah for crays , dhuis and queenies .

He was flush as fuck and buying us “bonuses” every week. Spearguns, surfboards, camping gear and wetsuits.

One of the bonuses was a 6’5” Wayne Lynch for the medium days up North which were next on the agenda. Took the WL for a test drive on a small day at XXXXXXX and that’s the shot. Stoned out of my mind and not a care in the world.

Cashed up again we gunned it North. Always like to get there in early season and acclimate to the waves and the vibe. Parked up at the stone hut for a month or so before relocating to the pannawonica till about November. Surfing , fishing, diving. The WL went like a shower of shit. Epic, epic board. Days spent mixing sticky heads with slices off the tennis ball sized lump of hash I’d made by rolling the gatherings off our hands at the end of each day during the manicuring process.

Approaching Christmas and we we’re running shy of funds again. I rang an Irish fella I knew who was running a start up outfit building remote infrastructure for the richest of clientele. Told him my situation: No way I’d pass a drug test and my lady wanted in on the gravy train.

“No worries chum” he said “ Just drink water for a couple of days and we will game your test. We’ll sort your livings and get your girl in on the action.”

I’ll never forget what he said next.

“Stick with me chum and you’ll be wearing diamonds.”

He wasn’t lying.

Photo :

6’5” Wayne Lynch diamond tail

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 5:03pm

Great story. Living!

Any pics of the WL?

Andrew P's picture
Andrew P's picture
Andrew P Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 5:42pm

Shit yeah DS. Top tale mate

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 6:14pm

what a classic Aussie tale

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 6:40pm

Far from hot deserts, here's little old NZ during the winter storm of the decade. Tons of snow in the South Island, 150000 lightning strikes this week, and 90 knot winds. The view from our lounge as the showers roll in from the Tasman:

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 7:08pm

Pretty rough week or so IB? How's the last few nights with the relentless wind and rain squals? Such a stormy mess in the surf too ay

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 7:21pm

Very much so!

Thankfully our place is sheltered from the wind, but the rain and hail has been so loud on the roof. Had 8 days in a row of stupidly busy work forecasting this event, so only had a look at the ocean this morning when I took the hound for a run in the pine forest. A massive mess.

Looks like we get a bloody tropical low approaching the Far North on Sunday. La Nina is still alive.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 7:33pm

Finally dried out here to get out in the paddocks and around the house and have a crack at the lantana, Senna and camphor saplings.
Those camphor's seem to turn from seedlings into trees in the blink of an eye.

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 8:43pm
Island Bay wrote:

Very much so!

Thankfully our place is sheltered from the wind, but the rain and hail has been so loud on the roof. Had 8 days in a row of stupidly busy work forecasting this event, so only had a look at the ocean this morning when I took the hound for a run in the pine forest. A massive mess.

Looks like we get a bloody tropical low approaching the Far North on Sunday. La Nina is still alive.

Yep that low forming to the north looks decent too? A couple of quite incredible weeks of weather from howling westerlies to howling easterlies next week

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 10:05pm

Who doesn’t like the waving cat?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 10:13pm

We've got tons of them Seeds.

I recommend them as souvenirs to take home if you visit Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maneki-neko

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 10:59pm

Haha nice Zen. I’ve only had a few from Indochina. Love those porcelain ones. Ginger disco master is great.
iPhone 6 playing with limited filter options back then

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 14 Jun 2022 at 11:15pm

Couple of other iPhone 6 filter jobs

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 15 Jun 2022 at 12:09am

Nice photos Seeds. My iphone five died on me just after i bought credit for it....what phone should i get that takes good shots of the point and other breaks around here but is under three hundred clams?
Any advise?
I hardly use my phone, only for taking photos and ringing family really. Dont want anything flash.
PS i turn my phone off if the surfs pumping and im going out.I dont tell anyone the surfs good.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 15 Jun 2022 at 8:14am
groundswell wrote:

Nice photos Seeds. My iphone five died on me just after i bought credit for it....what phone should i get that takes good shots of the point and other breaks around here but is under three hundred clams?
Any advise?
I hardly use my phone, only for taking photos and ringing family really. Dont want anything flash.
PS i turn my phone off if the surfs pumping and im going out.I dont tell anyone the surfs good.

I've got an Android Google Pixel 4 and the photo quality is remarkable; a very obvious improvement from my last iPhone. Google stopped making the Pixel 4, something to do with bad battery life though I've never had an issue, and I think they're now up to the Pixel 6.

You could take a punt on an older second-hand Pixel 4, or check the camera specs are the same from version 4 to the later versions, and then buy one of those new.