New Years Resolutions?

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Tuesday, 31 Dec 2019 at 1:00pm

Last day of waves for 2019, and one of the better days at the local beachie.

Been a funny old year of surfing for me, the first time in my surfing life that I've noticed a marked decrease in performance, partly due to injuries and time out of the water, and partly due to....well, age.

So, one of my resolutions - I've got a few - is to concentrate harder on key aspects of surfing: flexibility, fitness, and now that the kids are a bit older, sheer water time. Rather than rely on natural fitness, which is what I've always done, actually apply myself to select areas of surfing with the hope of levelling out the decline. 

Today was the second surf back after one of the aforementioned injuries, damaged my shoulder muscle when I hit the bottom at URBNSURF, and three weeks out of the water showed. More frustrating was the weight of numbers on the takeoff spot, the majority I'd never seen before, tourists staying in town or daytrippers from Sydney.

Little voice to myself: "I surf here every day waiting for great waves, and now they've arrived every set has a stranger on it."

That shit can bubble and ferment, it already had in a few local fellas, and I could see the fork in the road: Go Alpha, state your case in words or actions, maybe get yourself a few sets, but have the whole session sullied, or sit back and resolve yourself to the situation.

So I did. Ended up getting a few wide ones that crossed the flags but the lifeguards were fine as a strong current kept the swimmers close to shore. It was actually the better part of the bank.

And I hope to follow that road more often in 2020 too. Take the heat out of the moment, and make decisions with a bigger picture in mind.

Work? For me, 2019 was marked by a lack or separation between work and home, and both suffered. So I'm putting things in place to demarcate each aspect. I'm actually looking forward to that more than anything.

The environment? It's impossible to avoid what's happening around us right now, and despite what pragmatic politicians might tell us, anything we do involving further coal use makes us complicit one way or another. You may say that if we don't sell it, countries will just buy it elsewhere, but when we sell it we become enablers, and more importantly we lose all diplomatic influence in what has to be a combined global effort. I don't know what the answers are but I'm tending towards agitation as a means of forcing some action. In the surfing world, Sean Doherty is leading by example. I'd like to do more, but truth be told, the whole issue gets me down, effects my mental health, yet the malaise doesn't disappear when I try to disengage. Somehow I'm gonna resolve that this year.

I'm also gonna give up drinking this NYE, but I'm not gonna make a big song and dance about that 'cos I dunno how I'll go....

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger Saturday, 4 Jan 2020 at 6:55pm

last year my surfing turned to shit. back troubles,arthritis issues in the hip and old age.i've always been a fit sort of guy,but started more jump up type exercises.sadly,although mildy helpful my surfing is still going south.This year I will surf better than next year and next year betterthan the year after. I finally have come to accept this,and my new years resolution,just be happy you can still paddle out

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 31 Dec 2020 at 9:43pm

Exactly one year on & NYE Resolutions are outta fashion.(All want the same thing!)
We're now too freaked out to start up our own NYE forum.

Best if we just borrow Stu's 2020 COVIDSafe NYE Resolutions Forum & pretend.
Rather appropriate as none of the Crew get any 2021 NYE Fireworks.

Qldurrz are fine not celebrating NYE out of respect to our Neighbours & Cousins.
Goldie tbb spoke to many families & all can live without the show off Fireworks.

However, we were always gonna have some Pollies muscle in.
Ltd Ed VIP Townie Fireworks Tickets funnelled thru local Lib Councillor [f] Sign in.
Boo! Comes as a chorus from the families who thought it was a bit Exempt (Rich!)
https://www.theeventsagency.com.au/index.php/new-years-eve-at-robina-2020/
Noting a rash of VIP ltd Edition NYE Exempt events in Sydney & Melbourne.
People are forgetting that NYE is a National Celebration not some VIP shake it off!

The more things change the more they stay the same has never been truer.
Qldurrz are still trying to keep Southerners out & WA wants out altogether.
Having said that, none blame o's / interstate outbreaks, we now live with it!

Qldurrz always feel for Southerners & do apologize for our leaders tough talk.
tbb really means that, most days...it's that Southern Spirit that inspires Qldurrz.
All of Australia know that NSW / Vic don't get a NYE or New Years Day nor a reset.
We all know what New Years Day Headlines will be & it's no way to start a year.
We also know that the very same Qld Headline sits ready to print...(re: This Close!)
https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/queensland-covid-virus-f...

Back to the beginning we all share one NYE resolution...[ The right to dream ]

Happy New Year Swellnet Crew...thanx for the helping hand...feeling better now!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 31 Dec 2020 at 10:11pm

"Next year i want to surf more, get fitter, work smarter not harder and enjoy being a dad.
I'd love to say have a year off the piss or drink less but i just love beer too much.
Also put away a bit each week for an Outside Corner swell chasing fund. Which leads back to getting fitter."

I wrote this a year ago today, well, I probably surfed more as we had a great winter, spring. Didn't get fitter, opposite actually. Work went well, covid was almost a blessing in that regard. Dad life was all time, loving every second.
Outside corner was the one that really annoys. I was so looking forward to having a good crack out there this year, and they had such a good season. so frustrating

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 31 Dec 2020 at 10:26pm

GF, by surfing more I reckon you are staying fit. And yeah, this year has presented some challenges but you will get to Outside corner sooner or later. Glad to hear you are enjoying fatherhood. For me it gets better year after year. Happy New Year mate.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Thursday, 31 Dec 2020 at 11:56pm

"So this year my only resolution is to drink less and ride more,"

I'm going to try that again in 2021, after being kinda relatively successful this year.

All the best everyone, and Happy New Year.

P.S Some more waves would be great also.

etarip's picture
etarip's picture
etarip Friday, 1 Jan 2021 at 10:09am

This morning there was a bit of rubbish from the NYE revellers - fireworks and the like. Wandered around picking it up to take to the bins (20-30m away) and found $20! Figured it’s a good omen and reminder to keep picking up rubbish on the beach.
Happy New Year Lobster!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 Jan 2021 at 10:16am

Still keep on trucking.

Evolve

Be a better person.

Start my new business.

Consume less.

Read more.

Breathe.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 1 Jan 2021 at 10:18am

ETA, 2021 and already winning.

Nice

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 11:56am

Curtailing the waste of MY time on here is a Hogmanay resolution no-brainer.

I say MY time, because work time doesn't count. Never has.

...and there'll be less work time this year too for sure.

A win-win for everyone!

Huzzah!

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 31 Dec 2021 at 11:59pm

Happy 11:00 from Qldurrz.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:44am

Continue working on improving my ability to connect with people and contribute to the world around me in a positive way that is also healthy for me and my own wellbeing.

Never stop questioning everything around me.

Listen to my heart, allowing my enthusiasm and curiosity to guide me.

Heed the omens and listen to the earth and other people always speaking to me, often without words.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 9:07am

To be....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 10:16am

continued?

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 11:00am
zenagain wrote:

continued?

In the present. ;)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 11:24am

Cool Andy.

That's the only way any of us can live our lives.

All the best to you and all Swellnetonians for 2022.

Keep it real Hombre's.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 11:26am
zenagain wrote:

Cool Andy.

That's the only way any of us can live our lives.

All the best to you and all Swellnetonians for 2022.

Keep it real Hombre's.

Cheers mate.
All the best to you in 2022!

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 5:45pm

I can't believe it's been 12 months since I didn't 'become a better person.' ...

"New Year's Day--Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual. Yesterday, everybody smoked his last cigar, took his last drink, and swore his last oath. Today, we are a pious and exemplary community. Thirty days from now, we shall have cast our reformation to the winds and gone to cutting our ancient shortcomings considerably shorter than ever. We shall also reflect pleasantly upon how we did the same old thing last year about this time. However, go in, community. New Year's is a harmless annual institution, of no particular use to anybody save as a scapegoat for promiscuous drunks, and friendly calls, and humbug resolutions, and we wish you to enjoy it with a looseness suited to the greatness of the occasion." Mark Twain

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 6:25pm

I'm glad you quoted Mark Twain TS, a literary bull if ever there was one.

"The two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." Mark Twain

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 7:37pm

I aim to get worse.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 1 Jan 2022 at 9:59pm
Island Bay wrote:

I aim to get worse.

Glad I’m not the only one

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Sunday, 2 Jan 2022 at 7:57am

:-)

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 3 Jan 2022 at 6:37am

My resolution is to get through 2022 58-A40-D4-F-E334-4160-92-EF-67-A9-A8-D43412