Reducing plastics/rubbish on your surf trip

Statler's picture
Statler started the topic in Saturday, 14 Dec 2019 at 8:22pm

Heading off shortly to a less developed part of the world, me and the missus were discussing the amount of plastic bottled water we would need to take to 2 places we are heading to with a family of four. Potentially found the solution the plan is not purchasing any bottled water. Small item in the luggage purifies 18000 litres of water and filters can be replaced. No rubbish left for locals.

Statler's picture
Statler's picture
Statler Saturday, 14 Dec 2019 at 8:34pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 14 Dec 2019 at 9:03pm

Fark not sure about the Sodis method.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 14 Dec 2019 at 9:19pm

Statler- I cant thank you enough for that , mate.

This issue has been doing my head in lately .

Nice work ....problem solved.

Statler's picture
Statler's picture
Statler Friday, 20 Dec 2019 at 9:04pm

Yeah Blowin always did my head in as well, will update how it goes , other people swear by other devices so not an ad, happy to hear of other options ?
Udo agree about the Sodis method. but the science links are there I look at it as good to know as a back up.

Started talking to associates who bushwalk/expedition about the different devices and brands they all have there favourite brand and get very passionate about them.
Luckily i purchased before discussing.
Surprising that some surfing company or not for profit has not come up with something already surf branded........Now I have said it ......Look forward to the new wsl water bag or Hipster not for profit saving the surfing world
How funny will it be when the sheeple paying large amounts of money to go to resorts in numerous locations are convinced to drink from the water goon daily because they are helping the environment #futwit
Sure it will become huge on social media.......

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Friday, 20 Dec 2019 at 10:03pm

The Lifestraw tech is great, I used the bottle trekking in Nepal for one month in October this year. It might be an easier option for you than the bag... you can carry it with you during the day. Four of us had them in Nepal, two adults & two teenagers and no cases of the shits. Just fill from any water source and away you go.

https://www.lifestraw.com/products/lifestraw-go

Statler's picture
Statler's picture
Statler Saturday, 21 Dec 2019 at 8:32pm

Thanks Patrick, good to hear it worked,
i did look at them as well but the bag was more to our needs and its quite small when not in use. I intend to leave it there. and buy another for home when the Zombie Apocalypse happens

"Long-lasting: the microbiological filter provides 5 years of safe water"
For $40 why do people continue to buy bottled water , like the bloke today who was recycling his plastic bottles at the return an earn

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Sunday, 22 Dec 2019 at 7:44am

Enjoy the trip.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 2:46am

Firefighter's + Health & Drug administration [WARNING]
Don't leave inert closed Plastic bottles of water unattended in the sun.
Bottled water magnifies Sun's rays to ignite fires then into flames.
Many cars have gone up in flames this way!

(Sodis) example is incredibly dangerous as the Sun magnifies still bottled water.
Only mins for bottles to fire up haystack to burn down whole village...(No joke!)

Inert bottles must first be sanitised or bacteria levels would flourish in heat.
Sodis example shows how BPA gases would cloud, resting on the surface.
Banking the inert water! Most of contents would be untreated water.(Not good!)
tbb wouldn't drink that nor should anyone...it's well suss for any number of reasons.

UV filtering requires reverse osmosis or 100% filtering/distilling to be relied upon.

For our case here we are looking for the most simplest tried & proven method.
Sure! We'll stick with the plastic bottles to compare process.

First to Salute grown ups that apply school science in a cool adult like manner.
You gotta luv a smooth operator in this fucked up world....Old School Charm!

Here the UV process sanitises & distils the water in a reverse osmosis manner.
This ensures every molecule is filtered by the Sun's rays inside out & without doubt.
Sure! We all think it's too nifty to be true...(Pub Test) Can't hurt if yer dying.

Just a tad of clever tinkering to make a world of difference...That's way too cool!
(Well of course that's how you do it!) 'I knew that...you'll all say!' ... Well durr!

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 7:14am

brilliant ...