Maldives Northen Atoll

mattsyd's picture
mattsyd started the topic in Monday, 11 Nov 2019 at 9:32am

I'm planning a trip for 9-14 March 2020 to the North Atoll of Maldives for the first time with friends. We're mostly intermediate with a couple beginnerish girls.

I've been reading about the surf breaks and I'd love to hear from anyone who's been there at this time (beginning March). I guess we're looking for user friendly without being total beginner breaks.

The Cokes surf camp looks like a good option, but everything I read tells me Ninjas, Chickens, Honkeys and possibly Sultans would be the best breaks for us so I'm weighing up whether we should stay closer to them.... or perhaps Cokes is alright given March is supposedly small.

Anyway, any opinions welcome.

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Wednesday, 25 Dec 2019 at 7:25am

That's really early early season so I would suggest only looking at thulusdhoo...it's picks up more swell than the other breaks you mentioned...which may well be too small to surf unless you get lucky with swell

Chickens is a very user friendly wave...cokes a bit trickier but not by much. Chickens is also fun even if really small.

Get advice on currents for the beginners and not strong paddlers...if you surf at the wrong times they won't even get to the line up

Cokes surf camp is ok and run by a really nice Aussie bloke...but you will find nicer and cheaper if you look

Been there a heap of times so happy to answer any questions you have