Surf cars

PaulG's picture
PaulG started the topic in Wednesday, 8 Aug 2018 at 10:31am

Surf cars

Every 5 years I upgrade my car/wagon, and its getting harder, I want to be Homer like in the episode were he design it himself.
Current issue is new cars suck, they all use surfing for advertising, but none seen to be practical.
Specs, need to carry at least 4 boards (usually more) and 2 teenagers (usually more) every Saturday/Sunday – need to drive it Mon-Fri (30K kms pa)

Boards need to vary from 5 10” twinny to 9 2 Jackson and a range of inbetweeners
(Short boards, fish, retro, mini mals)

The rear space in suv is crap, allowing too much room for the teenagers and not enough board space. - Maybe due to lack of choice

4 door utes, good for tools not good for 6’+ boards –off the list

Family vans (havnt looked at yet) but they seem a bit daggie – although maybe when they get their P’s I wont have to share it – further investigation required and stick figure stickers a must for these sorta cars. -maybe

New commodore, has a split middle seat good idea will keep separation on drive home after the weekly interference call and wave steeling accusation argument – but the weird stud will inflix a ding on at least one board – therefore it fails –off the list

The sales guys try to tell me about keyless entry – but this is not good , key aint water proof – nowhere to stick the key lock device car any way. Then they go on about the sensors to warn me about the guy trying to snake me on the left or were ever as if I care- glad he doesn’t surf.

any suggested for what I should check out is appreciated -Ta

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 31 Mar 2019 at 7:25pm

And here's Peter Wherrett ripping the poor old HJ Prem to pieces:

Was hard to watch given the nostalgia for this model. Harsh, but true. The later 2000s Holdens were much safer cars. If only they had the benches and column shifts!

memo...'s picture
memo...'s picture
memo... Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 1:14pm

memo...'s picture
memo...'s picture
memo... Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 1:19pm

memo...'s picture
memo...'s picture
memo... Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 1:24pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 1:47pm

How does a beautiful EH even get that rusty ?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 1:54pm

My trusty Subi has finally succumbed to the ravages of salt.

I will miss her.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 2:15pm

Eyes on a new chariot?

Reckon I'll have to play it slick for my Conformodore to pass muster this year. Congenial, give a big smile to Mr Mechanic - but not too big, dont wanna overplay it - come back if he's busy, make his life easy, then some sly distractions while he's checking it over.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 2:45pm

When you say distractions are you thinking along the lines of “ That cloud looks like a puppy “ or “ Check out my junk in these satin hot pants “ ?

Got rego coming up myself and curious which direction to take .

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 2:48pm

A slap on the arse and a sly wink always works for me.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 3:02pm

Wait ....are you the mechanic or the bloke chasing rego ?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 2:56pm

I'm flexible

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 3:01pm

Ooh er !

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 3:02pm

I trust the ceiling mouldings are original?

Can't remember the ad but been saying that for years as my go to distraction.

I bought my wifey a nice Bahn stormer only a few months ago so that's our 'nice' car. I'll probs go another Outback. this last one was a champ.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 4:20pm

Im not a new car type of guy, but i went for my first spin in my friends Telsla model X the other day, it was pretty impressive feels like you are in Back to the future, the doors swing upwards and inside is crazy, it moves without pretty much a sound but goes from zero to 100kmh in less than 3 seconds.

Not cheap though has a price tag of about $160K.

JQ's picture
JQ's picture
JQ Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 4:23pm

Those Tesla's are pretty crazy hey Indo, I'd really like one but alas bit outside my (reasonable) price range at the mo. Perhaps the next generation I think.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 5:55pm

and Elon musk is such a fcukwit.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 15 Jan 2021 at 6:21pm

Hallelujah, yes. What a little toad.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 30 Jun 2021 at 9:24pm

Welcome to Covid. From February, Overpriced Used 4wd Madness:

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Thursday, 1 Jul 2021 at 9:25am

Suzuki Jimny soft top was a fun ride many years ago until the board got pinched while doing a surf check at Snatches.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 1 Jul 2021 at 9:26am
D-Rex wrote:

Suzuki Jimny soft top was a fun ride many years ago until the board got pinched while doing a surf check at Snatches.

Surely the location name was a giveaway that it was a risky location?

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Thursday, 1 Jul 2021 at 9:32am

Never gave it a moment's thought but in hindsight you're spot on! Prick cut the plastic back window rather than use the zipper too.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 3 Jul 2021 at 12:57pm

Im saving 12000 to $15000 for a good quality second hand mitsibishi express van 4wd, either that or a toyota delica 4wd (which i might tip over with my bush bashing).
Gonna deck out the back with racks for 6 or 7 boards, double bed on top not the whole works like fridges etc, i can get by on tuna and bread and water at gnaraloo/red bluff.
Down to 75kg (was 87.6 a few months ago and 95kg a few months before that) today im stoked maybe its time to buy a another new wetty of need if my weight gets any lower.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 3 Jul 2021 at 1:24pm

$5k will get you a reasonable Delica - but a Troopy would be better -more exp to buy / but better vehicle better resale etc
Its time to get off the Duromine if your still on them?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 3 Jul 2021 at 1:32pm

yeah im stopping them now. i didnt get many side effects though except for the first few days of paranoia of sharks, cops etc.just hope i dont eat a shitload.
What do you think of delicas?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 3 Jul 2021 at 1:36pm

Wean off or cold turkey ?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 3 Jul 2021 at 1:43pm

im thinking one capsule every three days untill ive run out. But also sticking to one meal a day(healthy choice) and no snacks except for occasional biltong from the butcher.especially if im hanging at the point waiting for a window.
Doing daily gym too like bench presses, situps, pull downs for forearms (good for bodyboarding)
But jakes isnt a bodyboard wave, lopes is a bodyboard wave but that only breaks on 10 second swells which is every two or four months.most of our swells here are 12-17 seconds.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 2:50pm

I have looked at those Delicas a few times over the past 20 years. They’re Mitsubishi by the way. Early 2000s I was checking them out and there were a lot for sale that were 10 to 15 years old but still in good condition, and incredibly low mileage. Found the first one and thought wow, what an opportunity, and then noticed lots of them with about 20 - 25K kms for a 10 to 15 year old car. Find one, woohoo, find lots of them and you start to think there is a clock-winding scam going on. Not much later read that there was a large number of them having their clocks wound back and sold as low mileage cars.

Have seen a few examples of recent model Delicas going round, quite different. Much lower clearance, more like a proper van rather than those jacked up ones. Have no idea how much they are going for or how you get them as they don’t sell them new through a dealer.

Just looked around now and plenty of them in the 10-15 years old group and they’re still asking $20K for them. Not for me, a 10-15 year old car should be much less than that. You have to factor in the mechanical risk. Mind you, have had two Mitsi Outlanders over about 15 years and they were/are reliable cars. Just can’t come at Mitsi’s decision to put toy spares in them. I hate toy spares.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 3:32pm

I've been building my 67 Mustang for a few years now...
Plan is to drive around Aussie to visit old friends and settle back in the west...
Originally it was going to be a garage/show queen, but canned that for the adventure plan......Just got my 4 point roll bar delivered to give the car some back bone amongst other chassis upgrades
Build cost so far.....120K plus....

Mcface's picture
Mcface's picture
Mcface Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 4:05pm

Hey GS I got myself a delica about 8months ago, paid the covid premium for it but still really happy with what I got. Troopy is still the gold standard if you're happy to put down the equivalent of a house deposit on them, but no way the missus was going to let me spend our savings on a second hand car. Less room in the delica compared to a troopy and the troopy would be more comfortable to sleep out the back of. Still I have a part time camper set up with pull out draw/kitchen and a bed set up which gives me the freedom for my weekenders up and down the east coast. Haven't had the chance to take it for an extended multiple week trip like your desert sojourn to the Northwest (although it's certainly on the cards)

Just be aware that as batfink alluded to, there are (allegedly) a lot of dodgy imports with mileage run back. Some people say to avoid dealers altogether, however even if you get a private sale it could have originally come from a dealer so the problem is the same. I believe the safest way to go is get one freshly imported from Japan. There are import agents that charge a flat fee (say 1-1.5k) and help with all the logistics and help in picking out your ideal delica. From personal experience it's cheaper and more reliable given the excellent Japanese auction systems. The main downside is you'll be waiting 3 months for your dream ride!

Having said that I bought locally. After 6 weeks of searching I was going to go to the import agents, then I saw the exact model I was after and looked to be in stellar condition. If you do end up buying locally just make sure you get a mechanic to look over it and check the condition is consistent with the mileage.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 5:14pm

Mcface how did you go with insurance ...heard its hard to get it on a grey import and epensive.?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 6:40pm

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/MITSUBISHI/DELICA_D:5/70007076...

I had a bit of a look around here and the diesels are pretty pricy, but you could get the above sent to Australia for around $30k.

I'd have a look at Japanes 4WD diesel Hi-Ace grey imports. Plenty of room and Toyota. Surfers and snowboarders here love them.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 6:52pm

Groundy if your going buy a Delica and rip the rear seats etc out you may as well by an 80 series Diesel Landcruiser and do the same ?
Or theres actually a few reasonably cheap Troopies in W.A.for sale ATM.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 6:59pm
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 9:30pm

That's a great Mustang megzee - enjoy it now all the work is done. Maybe give it a drive through that land around Broken Hill where all the Mad Max 2 wrecks still are - for the atmosphere of course :)

Dunno what you've got in it, but a 302 on the highway is glorious

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Monday, 5 Jul 2021 at 9:40pm

Cheers VJ,
Of course mate got a 302 Windsor [ Ford Racing Crate Engine ] with a bit of other fruit.
Actually the quickest route from the Goldy to the West was via Broken Hill, [ Old Les Norrish used to do his annual winter runs -Sunny Coast to Kalbarri in 4 days ]
But I got a few old Vicco and Streaky mates to catch up with...so it will be a coastal trip....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 6 Jul 2021 at 8:28am

How cool, road tripping in a lumpy V8.

I think I kinda became interested in cars when my dad borrowed my uncles HK Monaro and we did a family trip to Sydney in it. I was only a little fella but I still remember how lush that car was. Especially compared to our little Cortina.

Mcface's picture
Mcface's picture
Mcface Tuesday, 6 Jul 2021 at 10:01am

Yeah simba everything is more expensive with an import! Insurance was about double what my VW Polo was (third party fire theft). Also parts are hard to come by I've heard. In the 8 months I've had it nothing had really gone wrong and have had the luxury of taking to a great delica mechanic in the city, so haven't really experienced any difficulty yet. Not sure what would happen if something gets busted out in a regional area mind you.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 6 Jul 2021 at 11:14am

What about something like this? Blank canvas, will go forever and with a decent set of wheels and tyres will get you to most places you need to get to. Probs change out of $30k delivered to your door.

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/TOYOTA/REGIUS_ACE_VAN/70009038...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 6 Jul 2021 at 1:01pm
megzee wrote:

Cheers VJ,
Of course mate got a 302 Windsor [ Ford Racing Crate Engine ] with a bit of other fruit.
Actually the quickest route from the Goldy to the West was via Broken Hill, [ Old Les Norrish used to do his annual winter runs -Sunny Coast to Kalbarri in 4 days ]
But I got a few old Vicco and Streaky mates to catch up with...so it will be a coastal trip....

Sounds like a great trip! Had friends who would do Mt Isa to Ravensthorpe at 140/160 in 1972 V8 Fairlane in about that 4day timeframe... Car was a beast

Mcface's picture
Mcface's picture
Mcface Tuesday, 6 Jul 2021 at 3:09pm

Yeah Zen I've seen a couple of those with raised suspension and off-road tyres and they look the goods. Certainly way more interior space than a delica or troopy. Not sure if you could take it on the beaches without difflocks though.

If you had a bottomless cash pit, a 4x4 crafter or sprinter van with off-road tyres could see you living in total luxury and get to most places. Could probably live out of it indefinitely.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 6 Jul 2021 at 4:19pm

Mcface i looked at Delicas for a while and talked to a few who had them...didnt hear a bad word about them and most were raving how good they are ..........then covid came along and the price went thru the roof.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 6 Jul 2021 at 4:45pm

Injector pumps are a weak point on a Delica

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 28 Jul 2021 at 4:23pm

Side wind affected ? 012-B11-AE-FEE7-462-F-8467-FDD0-AF25-F91-C

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 5 Nov 2021 at 11:43am

Freeride are you still in the the Dinosaur Camry ?
I have a connection to a nice bait bus update..

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 5 Nov 2021 at 11:44am

oh yeah?

what it is Udo?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 9 Nov 2021 at 5:09pm
udo wrote:

Injector pumps are a weak point on a Delica

Yeah i almost bought a Delica for $5000 in good condition but another guy beat me to it. he drove it to Perth for FIFO work biweekly and burnt out the engine within 3 months.
Car was built for surfing though and i would have looked after it better than the other guy.

I now have a ford courier that goes unreal paid 3 grand for it and that was about 5 years ago. starting to get rust but thats the first sign of decline in quality. Everyone who owned it before me in this town are spewing they didnt keep it as its lasted that long and still going strong (starts first time every time) and loves long runs to gero or carnarvon.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 3:44pm

'63 Pontiac Catalina for sale for $12500.

Crikey.

Look at that interior!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/314866616781385/?ref=product_d...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 4:23pm

Yeah but will my 8'6" fit in the boot?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 10 Nov 2021 at 4:47pm

Close to