Mentawai charter boat busted (filmed) dumping rubbish in river at Padang.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Friday, 13 Jul 2018 at 7:38pm

Scum bags, yeah sure the river is dirty, but it's a western owned business and should know better.

https://www.facebook.com/Kabarnagaricom/videos/2118423778380544/?hc_ref=...

BTW. Not naming the name of the charter boat, but lets just say, its obviously a Blue boat or more specifically a Aluminum Powered Catamaran that operates in the Mentawai's Telos, North Sumatra.

Dingbat2's picture
Dingbat2's picture
Dingbat2 Friday, 20 Jul 2018 at 9:04pm

They do it in the Maldives too.
I went on a high end charter with 1 of the two surf charter companies in Australia.(PW)
Busted them throwing stuff over board in large amounts.
Referred it back and response was.
Oh thats just the way it is over here.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 21 Jul 2018 at 12:57am

indo-dreaming here's Susi's tribute surf reef The MV Viking at Pangandaran
Call that a surf Reef ! This is a surf Reef !
MV Fuck Off Foreign Fishos Flagship. (That's putting it mildly)
Yes! That is the finished design alright. Susi likes it rough!
Heaviest Left on the tour. Wham! Bam! Thank You Mam!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 21 Jul 2018 at 11:34am

Strange place to sink it, i wonder why there? must be some sort of story behind it being there, you wouldn't have thought that location would be intentional, but it seems it was as other articles show it in deeper water in a harbour after confiscating it.

All the others I've seen sunk have been in deeper water.

Apparently it was sort after by 13 nations for illegally fishing and hunted down with the help sea shepard.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/viking-fishing-vessel-sunk-by...

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 21 Jul 2018 at 4:33pm

National symbol of Pride.
The way I read it- Pangandaran represents Indo Cultural Capital for locals.
Their traditional holiday 'reserve' with kite festivals trad Outrigger Fishing Community.
The location was also hit by tsunami but stoically pulled thru.

Indonesia seized vessel 1/2 a country away but towed it especially to Pangandaran.
Parading their Trophy for world of poachers to see.
Only just enough explosives were used to side the vessel.
Originally flagged an 'Up Yours' banner toward ocean side that now slowly disintegrates.
Maybe someone could translate banner for us!

Low tide the Nation marches out as one to each hug spit kiss kick Nations finest conquest.
High Tide floats Boats of ten x ten even more back and forth.
So many partake in patriotic duty that the bay is becoming one huge toilet. (Not joking).

Indo-dreaming is right, I do believe this ceremonial sinking came from the President.
Right also that Susi goes deeper- this is 100% intentional for world to report as here & now!
Bad Ass Susi fashioned Elvis sunnies/cap combo with finest tea cup. Kaboom!...Flicks ash.

101 stories emerged on who caught the worldly pirates. All under lock & key we're told.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 22 Jul 2018 at 8:35am

ha ha you could be right with that one.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 22 Jul 2018 at 2:35pm

FV Viking was captured off Singapore (Riau Islands) 26 Feb 2016
Navy ferried the vessel an epic 1,500 kms to Pangandaran for several reasons.

*Main reason being Maritime Fishing Minister Susi's Home Town/Beach Airport
Minister can fly in foreign dignitaries display her trophy from above her runway & ships.

*Massive local fishing fleet is dependent on smaller vessels & suffers most from poachers.
* Govt Green Canyon goldmine$20-50 is bypassed by local punts for $15 ride + sly entry.
This free ocean entry is considered a rubbish tip as all dump & run from authorities.
*Protected Reef is picked clean by visiting Coral collectors
*Local Aquarium fish are poached as they're more highly sought after than catch of the day.

Govt saw a perfect opportunity to remind greedy locals & tourists & poachers that....
[Big Brother is Watching] All the time everyday.

The controlled explosion of FV Viking was pyro pantomine. (Compared to Indo's real show)
Sea Shepard even run a movie trailer of the event...Pure Hollywood. (14 March 2016)

Susi takes credit yet I struggle to find where she christens the hulk with her SUP sign off.
Surely a movie poster in her home town? I'd say this story is still being played out!

The hull is/was to act as a protected aquarium for reef fish. Since then the ship has listed.
This allows throngs of patriotic hoards to board and claim their selfie. (Not allowed!)
Make no mistake at least for now this is a monument that locals adore & flock to.

New themed attraction is distracting visitors from usual harmful environmental pursuits.
I can't be sure if Ship is to buy an exclusion zone for reef. Thereby ridding Nat Park bandits.

For the boffins: The Pirate Vessel is marketed with nearby Japanese War Cave.

Soon the rusted jagged beast will snare victims becoming a deathtrap eyesore.
Tangalooma Wrecks were fun until the rust set in then Qld Govt leveled them whole.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 24 Jul 2018 at 7:37pm

Post China... ABC/ Q&A (War on Waste) neglect to inform us of new Oz Dumping Ground.

World Plastic Bottle Recycle price/Tonne (Post China Crisis)...[Source: Envisage Works]
PET [Base $575] [now $375]
HDPE [Base $575] [now $500]
Mixed [Base $325] [now $ 75]

2017 Former Oz Plastic Bottle Dump Sites [Source: Senate =Waste & Recycling in Australia]
1) Hong Kong (45 %)
2) China (24 %)
3) Malaysia (8 %)
4) Indonesia (7 %)
6) Vietnam (7 %)
7) Thailand (7 %)

(Oz Dump sites are banked on longest foreseeable shitty working conditions.)
Note:( Recycle more plastic & print more money) Shows just how little money we have?

2018 Current Oz Plastic Bottle Dump Sites [Source: Aust Packaging Covenant Org' + News]
1) Indonesia (Alternate No 1) Recent deals with NZ/WA crowns them as new Oz Dump!
2) Malaysia (Industry insider's No 1) No details?
3) Thailand
4) India
5) Vietnam
6) Republic Of Korea
7) Taiwan

A bit rich for Aussie Slobz to whip Indonesians to raft more Plastic Bottles?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 24 Jul 2018 at 8:22pm

Google / River of Plastics in Himalayas

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Wednesday, 25 Jul 2018 at 9:20am

tbb thanks for the information. Very important that everyone knows this. Pretty damned disgusting.. I was sickened when I first heard about our plastic going to China.. and now its Indonesia and elsewhere. Do you have any info on the soft plastic recycling plant in vicco? is there one? or is it just false information? Woolies have a soft plastics bin thing in S.A but I wonder if it is legit or not..I don't trust them much pretty evil corporation. High time we all just quit using plastic.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 25 Jul 2018 at 12:14pm

Thanx saltyone!
I felt even sicker seeing udo's vid of Bottled up' Chunky Mountain Springwater.

Closure of Cando's W.H. Steaming Nappy Border Range plateaued NSW/Vicco pride.
War on Waste season 2 opener reveals Yarra River is the new choking point.
Recommend Vicco parents cover the kiddies eyes thru this episode.
Does saltyone need a sick note?

For more on (Do the Right Thing/ Recycling)..See: 'Circular Economy'...(Don't Ask!)

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 25 Jul 2018 at 6:43pm

saltyone My shout on your Vicco Plastic Recycling scheme.

Firstly it's way too expensive to wash plastic in Australia (Shh!)...Hence plastic exports!
Secondly that obviously means OZ can't mass produce it's own 'produce' (Shh!)
But that doesn't stop the Govt' fooling the masses that we do? More on that below!

Soft Plastic plants in Vic' & products
1) Cleanaway(Tullamarine) = Outdoor Gym-sets/Park Benches/Polar Fleece Jackets
2) Atlas (Docklands) = Makes those Plastic Wheelie Bins.
3) Replas (Frankston)/Red Group = Park Benches/ [TREXDECK] / Pontoons / Bollards

(RedGroup) runs Red Cycle being those OZ wide CBD instore Coles/Woolies Red Bins.
To be clear! If you can squish the plastic into a ball it's cool for the Red Bin.
Note: Replas Frankston plant is tiny...This is a PR front. Replas mostly bitch about timber.

Councils refuse to fit out Parks with Plastic! Aussies prefer timber seats/boardwalks etc...
Platitude signature park seats are gifted to Store participants as a Goodwill P.R. gesture.

Pallets would seem as obvious solution but marks down the value. (Anyhow! It's go slow)
Come up with a winning economical use and the company's yours!
Recall that no water is required in this recycling...So it's never a dead end proposition.

GT Recycling(Geelong) Hard Plastics is it's core base...(Possibly a Govt innovation hub)
(Now Trialing world class sustainable Flexy Packaging for produce with Deakin Uni)
I'm thinking some post Auto industry replacement job scheme. Viccos 'd know better!

Back to our feature Article... those pesky plastic bottles.[Viccos may have (Re+) Billboard]
Visy (Heidelberg) claim (Re+)[Coles Water Bottle is made in OZ from 100% recycled plastic]
* (Re+) Code: Recycle % ranges from 15% > 100% (This from their own site) So not 100%.
* The Label never claims that the Bottle's Recycled Plastic was recycled in Australia?
* Nor if it were even from Oz plastic or which gutter on earth the plastic drab once surfed.

Circular Economy peddling the same old rubbish. Somebody spiked your drink you think?

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Thursday, 26 Jul 2018 at 9:13am

great research tbb!
yeah we all need to be doing this... get to the bottom of it all. understand what the f is really happening. Enough of this "out of sight out of mind" mentality! Seems like although we have some very small industries here recycling its not enough.. still a good start , however the bulk of it is
still going offshore. A lot of people also probably don't know that you have to sort out your soft plastic from hard ... if you put soft plastic in your yellow recycle bin ( s.a) you are basically contaminating it and it cannot be recycled.
This has become a worldwide global problem! Just say NO to plastic . its easy as pie.. just don't buy stuff in plastic packaging!! its not rocket science! don't use plastic bags. buy all your food fresh and whole not processed. don't buy takeaway food..use your own bag when you go shopping and fill you down glass jars with bulk grains etc..its not impossible!!!! consume LESS in everything. buy second hand goods instead of new. be creative and savvy! plastic pollution is reaching critical mass.... if we ALL don't act NOW this earth will choke to death from it!

https://news.sky.com/video/dirty-secret-the-problem-of-sending-our-plast...

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Thursday, 26 Jul 2018 at 9:57am

And as I type another brand new Bunnings metropolis store is about to open with a million little plastic asian components wrapped in clear plastic hit the shelves ready for the DIY home reno hoardes to rip open...

yep the cycle continues..

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Thursday, 26 Jul 2018 at 3:51pm

as a side note just back from my biannual trip to Bali, we all noted it was the cleanest we have ever seen it hardly any rubbish on sides of roads and beaches. i think the message is getting thru especially after seeing the pros pick up rubbish during the Keramas comp.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 26 Jul 2018 at 4:34pm

@amb

Thats good to hear, i actually believe it's improving in different areas of Indonesia too.

Before it was furtherest thing from anyones mind.

But now it seems attitudes in some areas of the community are slowly changing.

Even this video is a good sign, it came from an Indonesian site, before it wouldn't have even been a story.

ssssshh's picture
ssssshh's picture
ssssshh Sunday, 29 Jul 2018 at 8:56pm

The boat in question was what was known as the Bohemian Baru - sold by the Aussie/English owner to a group of Brazilian guys in 2016.

Most boats now provide water bottles to start with and then you simply refill throughout the trip -or in other cases such as on good boats like the The Pulse offer good quality water bottles to fill and keep throughout the trip.

I was impressed returning from a trip a couple of weeks back when all of the rubbish bags were unloaded at the harbour in Padang and crew were there to go through it and sort recycling.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 30 Jul 2018 at 5:21pm

"I was impressed returning from a trip a couple of weeks back when all of the rubbish bags were unloaded at the harbour in Padang and crew were there to go through it and sort recycling."

What boat was that?..they deserve some online credit?

Was it Pulse?

I met those guys staying onshore in remote Indonesia a few years back, seemed like decent guys.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 4 Aug 2018 at 5:27pm

Seems like another Mentawai charter boat has sunk today, seems a timber Indonesian owned one (most likely Indo chinese?) full of brazilians http://www.mentawaikita.com/berita/1822/kapal-pesiar-alyssa-tenggelam-di...

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Sunday, 5 Aug 2018 at 10:15am

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Sunday, 5 Aug 2018 at 10:14am

15 + Brazzos on one boat! maybe someone sabotaged it? Looks like they were rescued successfully so a lot less rubbish left in the water.

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Wednesday, 8 Aug 2018 at 8:05pm

Good film about the horrific pollution in the worlds oceans, shark finning, discarded fishing nets and turtles, plastic in seabirds stomachs etc ...

Film trailer here ;
https://bluethefilm.org/

kookfactor's picture
kookfactor's picture
kookfactor Monday, 20 Aug 2018 at 6:37pm

Saw a comment re:crapping in the ocean by charter punters, thing to remember is that its pretty organic, long as no chems involved or you have been chowin down on the local seafood. Im sayin there's a line between what can get broken down bio-wise and what can't.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 20 Aug 2018 at 7:11pm

@Kookfactor I don't like charter boats dropping turds, this is why.

I was at macaronis once just got in the water paddling towards the waves i dipped by face in the water as you do to refreshen and then something bumped right into my nose, i look up to see what it was and there was a big floating log turd.

One of the most horrible experiences of my life.

campbell's picture
campbell's picture
campbell Monday, 20 Aug 2018 at 7:23pm

Sounds like you don't even have to go as far as the mentawis to come across this kind of thing. A mates sister works on a 10 day tourist charter boat in the kimberly and everything goes overboard, rubbish ,shit,plastics, you name it and you never hear about it, she was totally shocked, seems like its a a pretty common practice in the boating world. Sad state of affairs

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 20 Aug 2018 at 7:42pm

Name of Vessel and Company please !!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 21 Aug 2018 at 8:08am
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 21 Aug 2018 at 8:35am

Indo ..was after name of Aust company / vessel that Campbell mentioned above.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 21 Aug 2018 at 8:38am

oh okay gotcha

grndrms's picture
grndrms's picture
grndrms Friday, 5 Oct 2018 at 2:01am

Ya not good at all! The end of the day the charter is responsible. Is this just an isolated incident where boat wash w no education makes a bad decision? Any efforts by charter to make good i.e. start a campaign to educate more locals about green practices?