Is it true?

spookypt's picture
spookypt started the topic in Thursday, 21 Jun 2018 at 11:57am

I was reading on a local Blog that the SA guy lost overboard in the Ments and found by Doris with subsequent 60 minutes interview and apparently paid handsomely for his appearance, REFUSED to share his profits with ‘Doris’.

T or F?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 21 Jun 2018 at 12:17pm

Really? Haven't heard it myself.

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Thursday, 21 Jun 2018 at 12:33pm

Yeah mate I read it on a recent Aquabumps Blog "6 things you may not know about the Mentawais"

??

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 21 Jun 2018 at 1:04pm

If true that fella is a shoe in for cock of the year.

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Friday, 22 Jun 2018 at 8:38am

Agreed..but to be fare, to see if he's a certainty, Ben can you do some journalistic style digging?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 22 Jun 2018 at 8:50am

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 22 Jun 2018 at 8:49am

Brett Archibald also does motivational speaking tours and has written a book about it, perhaps he's shared some of those profits?

I don't know, just throwing it out there. I do know that Doris would be reluctant to speak publicly about it either way.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 22 Jun 2018 at 9:39am

Aquabumps cant even i.d. Doris correctly -Tony Harrington ?....so doubt theres any Truth to it.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 22 Jun 2018 at 9:46am

And while on the errors: Martin Daly wasn't the first surfer in the Mentawais.

spookypt's picture
spookypt's picture
spookypt Friday, 22 Jun 2018 at 10:03am

"So far.....3 of 6 things you may not know that are untrue about the Mentawais"

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 22 Jun 2018 at 1:06pm

I could have been the first surfer in the Mentawais if I had only kept in touch with my cousin Derek. I knew him quite well as a child in England. When we moved to Australia my brother kept in contact but I didn’t. He moved to Singapore in the early 70s and my brother would stop off and see him when traveling. I didn’t meet him again until he visited Australia in 2008. We got chatting I mentioned that the Mentawais were as close as Inhad ever been to Singapore. He then told me that from the mid-seventies through to the late 80s he made regular tours through the area working for a logging company and that he quite often took people along for the ride. His work involved traveling around from location to location in a small boat.......! He never saw any surfers.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 22 Jun 2018 at 1:17pm

Did Derek take any photos there?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 22 Jun 2018 at 4:04pm

If he didn't I think others in the business would have. I will email him and find out what he's got and if he can track down other material.