Nias, flying Padang to Gunung Sitoli.

Patrick's picture
Patrick started the topic in Sunday, 8 Apr 2018 at 4:57pm

G'day, I'm looking at going to Nias from Padang flying with Lion Air (as suggested by a couple of surf camps there). Lion Air's website say their surf board limit is one board and only 165 cm (5'5") I'll have two boards longest being 203cm, 6'8"

I've emailed the airline to find out more but haven't got a reply and a phone call got me to someone who spoke limited English (and my Bahasa is even worse).

Has anyone flown that route? Who with? Did you have any issues taking boards?

Most people seem to go through Medan but I'm coming from PDG so a direct flight makes sense rather than going with another airline via Medan.

Any help would be great.
Cheers.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Monday, 9 Apr 2018 at 11:24am

I’ve flown it. Thought the flight was with Garuda but could have been wings. No probs with boards.

Only time I wasn’t allowed my boards on a wings air flight was from kupang to rote and that was a bit of a baggage handler scam.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 9 Apr 2018 at 6:23pm

Don't lose sleep over it, because I'm very confident you won't have any issues Padang and Medan airport staff deal with surfboards everyday and boards of all kinds of lengths go on the wings route between Nias and Medan everyday and expect they get a few between Padang and Nias.

Id only be concerned if your board was a SUP or a 9ft mal.

I have had issues with this on paper unrealistic measurement for surfboards on wings air (part of Lion air) but it was when i started my journey in Solo Central Java and was going to Nias, and the boards were going to be in transit and staff at Solo Lion air look up the measurements and say that my boards can't go on wings flight between Medan and Nias.

So then i have to nicely and patiently explain to them that i often fly wings air between Medan to Padang and it's no issue and many surfers also do everyday so i then convinced them to ring up Lion Air in Padang as they will sat no problem..which they did and of course staff there said no problem.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Saturday, 14 Apr 2018 at 7:03am

Thanks guys, I thought it would be ok but the info on the airline's website was a concern and I couldn't get a hold of the place I was staying.... eventually contacted them through FB and they said it will be cool too.
Cheers.

sarge4's picture
sarge4's picture
sarge4 Friday, 15 Jun 2018 at 12:52pm

Crew!

Anyone had any issues flying Lion from Bali to Nias? I'm about to book flights and not sure weather to go Garuda or Lion. There is a substancial price difference.

Thanks in advance!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 15 Jun 2018 at 1:06pm

Go Garuda no extra charge for boards i beleive...a few Nias losmens state that on there sites