Vanuatu

Andybox's picture
Andybox started the topic in Thursday, 14 Dec 2017 at 6:09pm

Afternoon all,
I'm not a regular in here, but i'm hoping some of you could provide some info for me.
To the north of Vanuatu there are a few islands i've had my eye on for some time now.
I know of a few reef set-ups on the east coast of Santo, but have never been there to surf them. Local info has a great right hander about 2km off the coast. Anyone surfed on Santo or further north? I had a conversation with Doris Eltherington many years ago, who raved about the quality of waves in the northern Vanuatu islands. Logistics would be difficult, especially as some of the islands are uninhabited.
Thanks, Andy.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 15 Dec 2017 at 8:14am

So much potential around there.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 15 Dec 2017 at 12:44pm

Yeahhhhhhh if you could delete this thread, that'd be great.
There's no surf in vanuatu.... I've gone there a few times to get away from surfing.

Best all you eggrolls go to Fiji.

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Friday, 15 Dec 2017 at 12:44pm

Lot of islands, probably best explored from your own yacht for several reasons, one of which would be personal security. Don't get me wrong, the people are generally very friendly and laid back and never hassle tourists but I did notice even on Efate that people involved in tourism quietly take steps to guard guests, usually done in such a way as you won't even notice. Spoke to a couple of people who had been to Santos and Tanna who said there is a vaguely menacing vibe in some areas.
I imagine exploring by island hopping would be much harder than say Indo would have been back in the day.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 15 Dec 2017 at 1:00pm

That's enough island name dropping yeah, chin?
Can we have one or two places in the world not invaded with go pros?

No offence, man.
Cheers.

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Friday, 15 Dec 2017 at 1:13pm

You can’t offend me Sheepdog. I’m doing my bit to keep them away, the GoPro generation hate being cooked in a large pot by cannibals

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 15 Dec 2017 at 1:14pm

SD,

You do realise your humblebrags bring more attention to the thread?

filthyphil's picture
filthyphil's picture
filthyphil Friday, 15 Dec 2017 at 1:19pm

Waves in Vanuatu you say sheepdog?
Please tell me more!

Andybox's picture
Andybox's picture
Andybox Friday, 15 Dec 2017 at 2:21pm

Much appreciated guys, I won’t drop Island names but happy to chat via pm.
Cheers, Andy.

mr-roo's picture
mr-roo's picture
mr-roo Friday, 15 Dec 2017 at 10:01pm

Great destination eh sheepflog. You’re so tuned in fuckwit.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 15 Dec 2017 at 11:01pm

mr-roo.... Get a fuckn dog up ya. Wanker.

Stu... As I said, delete the thread.. You've done it before... Then no one sees the 'humble brags."
Fuckn simple, really.

filthyphil's picture
filthyphil's picture
filthyphil Saturday, 16 Dec 2017 at 6:20am

I don’t think deleting threads is the answer. Just be smart about what you post.

filthyphil's picture
filthyphil's picture
filthyphil Saturday, 16 Dec 2017 at 6:22am

Vanuatu isn’t going to see any more numbers in the water because of a thread on swellnet that might be visible for a week or two at most.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 16 Dec 2017 at 7:36am

What SD should have done is downplayed it. 'Yes there are good spots, can get epic, but a lot of hard work involved and fickle. '
But now everyone is highly intrigued.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 16 Dec 2017 at 8:01am

"Vanuatu is a South Pacific Ocean nation made up of roughly 80 islands that stretch 1,300 kilometers."

Bring it up on Google Earth, and the first thing that comes to mind is "Christ, that looks like a lot of hard work. And jeez those swell windows don't look terribly reliable".

Let alone the lack of basic infrastructure across islands (airports, roads, accom, supplies), that would facillitate a horde of GoPro carrying wannabes.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 16 Dec 2017 at 8:13am

Few things about Vanuatu:

After he lost the Grajagan camp to Indonesian authorities, Mike Boyum looked at starting a similar camp at Vanuatu. Either it was a good smuggling route or Boyum had no idea about swell patterns - perhaps both - but Vanuatu isn't and never will be a scratch on G'Land. They sit at similar latitudes but Vanuatu is largely blocked from the Southern Ocean swell train requiring a very particular swell direction (trade swell is another matter but that has its own problems).

When I was young kid I took the boat over to Erakor Island with my folks. It was a rough ride and the boatman went all weird on us. Got to the island and there were waves lapping the pathways and crabs at the backdoor of the bungalow. Everyone was huddled in the restauant and we were told there'd been an earthquake with resultant tsunami - we went over it in the lagoon! Photos from that trip show a fat-cheeked cherub wearing a pink Mango shirt and desert boots, while in the background small waves break on the reefs.

Ginger Nev Hyman has spoken of a "Burleigh-like" right near where his first Nev House project is. Whether he meant a headland of similar protrusion or waves that were comparable to one of Australia's best pointbreaks he wouldn't say.

The hardest charging hellman will never be as hardcore as a Pentecost Island local.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 16 Dec 2017 at 9:08am

Desert boots !

Uhhh...memories.

Andybox's picture
Andybox's picture
Andybox Saturday, 16 Dec 2017 at 10:43am

Doris spoke of the same waves about 25 years ago after he sailed solo through the islands. From what I’ve seen, there are some incredible set ups in the northern island, however unless you have a yacht the the logistics of getting there are impossible. One unpopulated island in the far north has a protruding point off the right hand side, providing a mirror image right and left reef break, deserted 365 days a year. That’s enough clues for now.

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Sunday, 17 Dec 2017 at 10:03pm

I used to go there for a bit of diving back in the day, also did a bit of surfing and kite surfing. Last trip, was 12 years ago. There are a few islands with quality waves, although never saw any big stuff, but they were fun. You’ll have to do your homework. There used to be a resort sort of place called Breakas on Port Villas with a fun left out the front and some challenging reefs nearby. Lots of other Pacific islands offer better accessibility and higher probability of getting waves.

OllieB's picture
OllieB's picture
OllieB Wednesday, 20 Dec 2017 at 10:25am

No offense - but Australia being a surfing nation, I'm sure hordes of people have already had this idea with little follow through.

End of the day, the few that risk the travel and lack of infrastructure will score, but at a cost.

Personally, I'd look at Samoa, but again it's not the safest place...

Andybox's picture
Andybox's picture
Andybox Wednesday, 20 Dec 2017 at 2:43pm

I’ve bought (75 year lease) beachfront land on an island near Santo. Heading back there in March and further north. I’ve got a rough plan to get to Hiw in the far north, but as far as I know it’s uninhabited. That means hiring a nearby Island local and a boat to check out the set-ups, easier said than done. November to March seems to be the optimal swell window.

Andybox's picture
Andybox's picture
Andybox Saturday, 23 Dec 2017 at 3:58pm

Oh, and thank you for all your replies. Surf Camp = crowds, might just keep things to myself and a few close friends.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 23 Dec 2017 at 4:05pm

Once you get it wired, I'll be your close friend.

Andybox's picture
Andybox's picture
Andybox Friday, 29 Dec 2017 at 9:00am

Composting toilets, outside shower, no aircon but lots of louvres. Rainwater tank for drinking and showering, just have to work out how to filter the waste water from the shower.

Andybox's picture
Andybox's picture
Andybox Tuesday, 27 Nov 2018 at 6:32pm

Bumping this thread. Thanks for a wake up call to everyone who contributed to this thread. I’ve kept it low key, built a small place and haven’t gone down the road of advertising. Sometimes you have to be smacked about the head a few times to realise exactly what you have in front of you.

Garryh's picture
Garryh's picture
Garryh Tuesday, 18 Dec 2018 at 3:13pm

Lots of tiger sharks at the remote spots!