Help and advice picking board for bigger guy

Neutralsurfer's picture
Neutralsurfer started the topic in Tuesday, 25 Apr 2017 at 4:01pm

Hey guys, this is a two part question so ill keep it as short as i can.
I'm a newish surfer, have most of the basics down with catching waves and riding them down the line but haven't gotten as far as cut backs in the waves and stuff. I've been riding an 8ft softop this whole time and finally want to step up. I'm a bigger bloke hovering around 105-110kg (more muscles than fat haha) and just for some background i only surf mid coast SA and South coast middleton but would love to get a board i could take to Yorkes on smaller surf days later on when i improve. I dont really want to get a long board or mini mal for the turning i want to learn but more a shorter board like a fish or hybrid. i found the 7s fish board 8' looks good at 66L volume which should hold me up in the surf but is a tad out of my price range.
Is there any suggestions on what people think i should get? should i just get an epoxy mini mal or long board, or is it worth forking the extra few hundred for the 7s? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Second quick question, i read alot thats its good to support local shapers, is there any that would make a board im looking for at around the 500 mark give or take a 100 or so or just go the machined epoxy/eps boards since im on a budget?
really sorry for the long post! thank you for any help in advance!

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Tuesday, 25 Apr 2017 at 5:29pm

Those Dwibbleton dribblers suit the flat rocker of the 7S, look for a used epoxy.They are strong and go in gutless slop up to head high stuff.At your size 8/0 will do the job.

Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows's picture
Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows's picture
Joel Eugene Sla... Tuesday, 25 Apr 2017 at 8:47pm

I am a bigger guy like you, 110kg, have had a 7s super fish in the past, goes well down the line, very fast but doesn't like to turn at all, is good for straight down the line at middleton but thats about it. If I were you and you can afford it I would go a firewire Addvance, best board for a heavyweight for performance vs stability/paddle power in my opinion, paddles great, catches anything, turns great for its size, handles a fairly steep drop,will handle most waves around adelaide and the tamer waves at yorkes. I've had mine (6'10) out on the mid and south coasts as well as yorkes in anything from 2ft to 6 ft. I imagine it will handle anything you are going to go out in for the next few years and will be much more fun and versatile to surf for much longer than the 7's. I'd go the 7'2 or 7'6 if I was you.

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Tuesday, 25 Apr 2017 at 10:22pm

re local shapers - Leighton Clark down at Ding King at Hackham would be well worth having a chat with

Neutralsurfer's picture
Neutralsurfer's picture
Neutralsurfer Wednesday, 26 Apr 2017 at 2:26pm

Thanks very much for your help guys, the firewires look nice and with the high volume too would go well but just a tad bit pricey, definitely will keep an eye out for a used epoxy and see whats around. yeah i saw Ding King boys advertising their shapers so i might give them a ring and just see roughly what they can do. i appreciate all the help!!

middy's picture
middy's picture
middy Wednesday, 26 Apr 2017 at 6:13pm

I have a 6'6" 44 litre FireWire Greedy Beaver used twice but to much Volume for me at 90kgs. Cost a grand delivered will sell for $600. Great for the Mid and Victor. Ph 0418582884

middy's picture
middy's picture
middy Wednesday, 26 Apr 2017 at 6:15pm

Sorry 0428682884

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 26 Apr 2017 at 6:21pm

For good wave boards its hard to find anything in the firwire range suitable for guys over 85kg although the Advance Joel eugene talks of i havent looked into. it seems to me firwrire cater to young groms and less than 85 kilo people,(for good wave boards).
Also they stopped making mayhem boards which sucks. they were the best boards id ridden untill i ruined mine putting a "surf safe" sharkshield in th middle. boards too heavy now and cant feel my feet turn properly. cant turn, cant paddle into double ups.

The shaper and surf safe both said the board would be the same but its not.
turns like shit.
the sort of waves i surf you need to get in quick and the surf safe devce slows you down in the lip as its pitching.
So looked at other firewires and only ones available for 80+kg are funwave boards.
West oz swells really kick ass even at 2 ft so they are useless here.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 26 Apr 2017 at 6:25pm

PS ia have a rob machado almond butter i might sell. goes great in small waves and with rob etc in good barrelling wave but i prefer other boards in my surroundings here.
almond butter has been used 3 or 4 times with no damage $600, ill chuk in some controller fins which cost me $200

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 26 Apr 2017 at 6:44pm

So the surf safe sharkshield fucked your board .. was this around the time of your 18kg weight loss ?...what do you mean you put it in the middle ?

Edit : ok just watched there installation vid..hmm.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 26 Apr 2017 at 7:27pm

Yeah i had the mayhem before my weight gain. During weight gain and now after weight loss the board still feels like shit. Was my fave board ever for 3-6 foot barrelling reefs., maybe even a magic board for indo, but now i just cant put my finger on whats wrong with it. although my surfing and body shape has gone downhill somewhat since living in the bronx of geraldton.Even if i lost weight, my guts still there like i have worms from an indo trip or something.

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger Wednesday, 26 Apr 2017 at 10:37pm

hi,neutral surfer. i rode the superfish xl 7'3. up until two years ago when an ongoing problem with osteoarthritis in the hip forced onto a longer board.[currently a vern jackson 8'4 which i luv.]i found the superfish to be a great board and could smack a lip and cut back no problem.i would imagine that an 8'0 should suit you perfectly.last week down the mid my mate had just bought a new 7'o. advance and we duly swapped so i could try it.unimpressed,too corkyand twitchy.meanwhile he's having a great session on my vern jackson.i also surf a 7'10 rick ford which feels way looser and more contolled than that firewire.