Indo Surf Trip

Zacved's picture
Zacved started the topic in Friday, 10 Feb 2017 at 7:56pm

Hello all,
Sorry if this information has been given in another post but my head has been spinning searching through all the places and options to go and Indo seems hard to narrow down! Looking at improving my riding by going on a surf camp. At this stage it will be 3 people (2 surf, 1 non-surf)
Surfing Ability;
Intermediate? Comfortable in chest/shoulder high waves(2-3ft) , can go along the line of a wave but still working on going top to bottom.

My friend is a body boarder and much better at that than I am surfing but he is after some fun waves (not massive or super quick barrels).

Budget and Timing;
Looking at going for about a 10day surf tour.
I am able to get time off either October 1-14 or anytime in January. Judging by most sites I think October would be the better option though (happy to be corrected!)
- $2500 max pp for flights, food, accom, surf guide/transport.

Anyone able to recommend a place with;
- consistent surf with options that aren't too big
- small crowds
- good guides and transport included
- My friend is not a great flyer and would not be a fan of getting on a small plane to access some of the more hidden islands.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Chumbucket's picture
Chumbucket's picture
Chumbucket Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 6:27am

What areas/spots have you been considering?

If you have 1 non surfer with you then that would probably rule out locations that don't offer much other than the surf e.g. Sumbawa.

And since your level seems reasonably basic you would want to avoid heavier spots anyway.

I am yet to head over so not fully qualified to comment, but I feel sorry for the guys here that get bombarded with these questions hah.

Bali / Lombok sounds like it would be suited to you guys. You can Ferry to Lombok so no need for a small plane, and I've heard Lombok is good for more mellow surf.

I leave in 9 weeks to have a 3 month trip around Indo. My first week is being spent at this surf camp in Bali after being recommended by my good friend and seeing the hundreds of amazing reviews. https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Hotel_Review-g297696-d2051600-Reviews-Wave...

Some people have said that you don't need to bother with a camp/guide in Bali, as it is more expensive, and it is apparently pretty easy to get around by yourself. However these guys are apparently very clued up with all the spots nearby to take you, wake you up early as **** to beat the crowds, and give you good advice at each of the spots.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 6:48am

So you're after somewhere with consistent surf, small crowds and want to be able to get there without having to get on a smaller plane.

Jeez if I knew of a place like that I wouldn't be saying it on here..

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 6:53am

Ps. Heard Lennox is good at the moment :-)

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 7:02am

Have you considered Port Albert?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 7:30am

Haha, now they are openly advertising they will dog every other competent surfer to get kooks into waves for a few rupees

No shame, can't blame em, but where's the honour?

From the kooks and the guides

"We introduce you to the locals so they won't drop in! We will also find you the best suited waves to your ability. We will block, snake, drop (other people) and we will even push you on waves. Anything to make your Bali surf holiday awesome.."

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 7:28am

Yeh maybe try lennox, I hear ben matson offers a similar service in the region...for a few rupees

Chumbucket's picture
Chumbucket's picture
Chumbucket Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 7:28am

sypkan, are you referring to my post?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 7:30am

Yeh mate, not you personallly, I just read the link

Zacved's picture
Zacved's picture
Zacved Monday, 13 Feb 2017 at 7:39pm

Thanks very much Chumbucket, appreciate your advice and I'll check them out :)

I have been considering lombok, have you got any advice or recommendations?

Thanks again,