Would you pay $2,000 for a new surfboard?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Tuesday, 31 Jan 2017 at 8:19pm

I see from tomorrow Jim banks surfboards minimum price will be $2,000.

http://www.jimbanksurf.com

Thoughts?

Whats the most you would pay for a new board?

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Monday, 15 May 2017 at 1:40am

Yep says it here udo . 7"0 banks sounds great .

drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders Monday, 15 May 2017 at 10:31am

Yeah Udo I paid $780 for a 7'6 Webster DS (BARGAIN), however I also just paid $1300 for a NPJ duo with fins, and I must say it is awesome - 20 surfs not a mark on it, I did really struggle with the price. These are my only new boards for 10 years, I generally get great deals on used boards, that way I can try lots for $250 to $400 each, if I don't like them they go - generally not out of the rack in 6 months onto Gumtree as obviously I am not interested. I would pay $1300 again for a NPJ in a heart beat, and sell 4 of my others to fund it.

ps. for twently years I only got boards of one local shaper, he retired and my surfing experience went through the roof, have a shaper but please try alternative designes, I have diverged a long way from what I was getting

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 12 Mar 2018 at 9:08pm

Anyone know what Jims new glassing technique is ....a day longer in production and up to 5 times less likely to snap ?
jim banks surfboards insta.

And drodders ...puddle jumper Duo...ride report ?

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 13 Mar 2018 at 7:18am

Don't know, but it's a pretty big call to offer replacement if it breaks. Jim seems a bit all over the place the last few years. He goes from shaping boards for $800 to $2000 to not shaping at all to doing limited edition runs and now back again?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 13 Mar 2018 at 7:34am

All over the place....hmm..the board was for a 'team rider' but was supposed to be a swallowtail wtf...how does an error like that happen ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 13 Mar 2018 at 9:04am

Jim's never ending closing down sale.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 13 Mar 2018 at 11:28am

Seems like it. Although usually when you close down things get cheaper instead of more expensive. Like you said a while ago though Stu, someone like Jim doesn't need to apologize for the price of his boards.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 13 Mar 2018 at 11:47am

Everything must go . Crazy high, high prices.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 11 May 2018 at 8:54am

Jims new 7'3 with nose to tail Vee and Modified Rocker- Brief engine room/rocker explanation in second pic / Insta..

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 27 Jun 2019 at 3:39pm

Seems like Jim is closing down again?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 30 Sep 2020 at 2:50pm

Jimmys has shaped 3 new twinnies for the GOAT
Wonder if Kelly paid 2k a piece..he he
https://www.picuki.com/media/2233884793129398920
but not plugged for FCS..?

Cowabunga's picture
Cowabunga's picture
Cowabunga Monday, 26 Oct 2020 at 1:09pm

I haven't bought a new surfboard for years

One apart from not surfing too much these days living in a place that has surf but is freezing cold so much so that the ocean turns to ice

the last boards I have bought were second hand boards they work well for me and at a fraction of the price

In fact now I don't think I'll ever have to buy another board ever as I have adequate number that I can use across every possible surf conditions

No need to create an image of status nor does my career depend on having the latest technology under my feet.

In the free market economy a product will be bought or sold on its perceived value good luck to Jim or anyone else who can make a living from something they enjoy. I surfed with Jim in the 80s when he made his first trip to the bluff he seemed like a ordinary person with extraordinary talent he wasn't a wave hog and easy to talk to I guess times have changed him if previous comments are true

To answer the question...

No...

MidWestMonger's picture
MidWestMonger's picture
MidWestMonger Monday, 26 Oct 2020 at 3:52pm

I reckon $1000 tops. My local store has once a year clear outs with the usual suspects - thai boards under licence - going for $500 new. Was happy doing that but lately had some delamination, soft spots and piss weak rail damage pointing to a quality issues. Going to go back to supporting local shapers, now that i have a better idea of what im looking for. But $2000...nah

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 28 Nov 2020 at 7:40pm

Those are some eyewatering numbers on those HB's Udo. Half the price at HB online, with spray. Sure are pretty though.

Garryh's picture
Garryh's picture
Garryh Saturday, 12 Dec 2020 at 11:44am

notes from an interview with Ben Morrison-Jack...he's a professional sailor (sailing in the Americas cup)...and was one of the duo who kitesurfed on a surfboard from Tasmania to Victoria (sponsored by snickers...there's a video on youtube). 1. Significant advances can be made in surfboards by using better cloth. (he's talking about aligning the strands within a cloth along the stress lines in a surfboard...allowing for controlled flex and strength plus using better materials). 2. There are muuuuch better resins available that those commonly used in surfboards (but are used in other industries) and 3. there are manufacturing techniques that can improve surfboards such as vacuum bagging and different ways of overlapping cloth and using machines to get even closer to completing surfboards compared to current CNC techniques plus 4...there are probably better foams available. Combining such changes would probably result in better performing, lighter, stronger, better flexing boards that could be customised more for each surfer....and yet would likely require (relatively expensive) R&D and an increase in board prices. It's bound to happen (I guess that's arguable). Personally I think it's a nice area to focus on don't you?