House prices

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 9 Dec 2016 at 10:27am

House prices - going to go up , down or sideways ?

Opinions and anecdotal stories if you could.

Cheers

Standingleft's picture
Standingleft's picture
Standingleft Wednesday, 22 Feb 2023 at 8:42am

Great read Basher thx. Watched 4corners last night about the social housing crisis. Working single mums trying to raise a family on their own while living out of their car.
Lucky country under assault from all angles.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Wednesday, 22 Feb 2023 at 9:27am

I love that post tbb. It's true, I can see many older people pushing prams around. I got my first kid at 28 and twins at 32. So, neither too young nor too old in my opinion. But to give you more perspective, most of my kids' school friends' parents are way older than me. Some are even 60. So, you're definitely correct, you're onto something.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 22 Feb 2023 at 1:28pm

TBB brilliant post, nice correlations there in rent asked/price with the blow offs in rent correlating with big events!

The elder parents cotton wooling is well founded: when our bus stop was egged I was standing behind one of the rugby players and spared. Andrew came in from recess and the teacher berated him (normally sensitive, great at maths) and he replied "The year 10's captured me and camel bit me for the whole of recess," - his legs were glowing. Year 8's were dangled by their feet from the upper stories... bricks were hidden in empty choc milk cartons waiting to be kicked... Save those precious kids!

Flollo experienced that myself with much older parents - had kids at just before 21 and 24. That was normal in the preceding generation. Couldn't relate too much to the older boomer parents, and things were hard early, but now, I wouldn't change it.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 22 Feb 2023 at 1:31pm

OK a bit more of the smorgasbord of econ data: listed cars for sale

https://mobile.twitter.com/AvidCommentator/status/1627560729477009408

Jump up in listings. He points out that it's a tale of two countries in spending/situation

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Wednesday, 22 Feb 2023 at 2:16pm

NZ added another 50bps today which puts them at 4.75%. Funny thing is, most of their data is worse than ours ie they’re further down the road re house declines, and have half (yes half) of their mortgages coming off low fixed rates this year. Interesting coincidence - US is at effectively the same rate. UK is at 6.

When compared to Oz, who just went 25bps to 3.35%…

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Wednesday, 22 Feb 2023 at 8:25pm

One reason central banks and the RBA have a credibility problem. Their big swinging tool (QE) shoots blanks.

10 years of massive QE and QQE in Japan, burdening the country with huge debt, has proven it to be an ineffective policy (a failure).

Yet with the evidence so clearly shown in the real world - no longer just in Paul Krugman and Ben Bernanke theorising - the RBA inexplicably joined the "QE club" (felt left out, gotta do something) in 2020 and destroyed its balance sheet.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Wednesday, 22 Feb 2023 at 9:11pm

History will be the best judge of QE, it’s a fairly fresh tool and sure, one day people might look at it with disgust. Easy to criticise in retrospect.

But when there is urgency to get something done and big decisions need to be made people usually run away. That’s my experience anyway. Sure, people will have all sorts of opinions. But most are not keen to commit, put an important signature on a piece of paper or provide a direction to hundreds, thousands of people. They don’t want that responsibility.

So, I don’t like many outcomes (from decisions being made) we discuss in this thread. But I always try to think backwards to the decision making moment and see how would I handle it. And when I think like this it becomes very messy and difficult. It’s really difficult to make the right decision most of the time and pretty much impossible to do it every time.

Roystein's picture
Roystein's picture
Roystein Wednesday, 22 Feb 2023 at 11:57pm
Standingleft wrote:

Great read Basher thx. Watched 4corners last night about the social housing crisis. Working single mums trying to raise a family on their own while living out of their car.
Lucky country under assault from all angles.

Paid $83 for 2 small bags of groceries at Woolies today. The increase in prices was very noticeable, I feel for those already at the margins. Australia and its classes are diverging at increasing rates

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 7:32am
flollo wrote:
History will be the best judge of QE, it’s a fairly fresh tool and sure, "
It is not a fresh tool - GFC was 2008. History has judged. Central Bank's own research indicates it is hard to measure the impact.

The video above tells the story of a decade of failed massive QE in Japan.

Why persist? Because aside from interest rates,and talk their toolbox is pretty empty.

But they can't say that out loud because when a crisis looms or hits they have be seen to do something.

Wall St and the media demand this and cheer along in awe (or pretend awe).

During covid, it was the direct payments to households and businesses by government that boosted the markets, not QE.

QE gets stuck in bank reserves. If banks won't lend in a risky economy, it stays stuck.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 11:20am

15 years is a very short timeframe. QE was obviously done on a pretty much global level and analysis will be done for many years in the future.

I agree with cash in hands approach, definitely my favorite in any type of crisis. But even then QE was partially used to buy government bonds which secure their cash flows to do such things as payments to the population.

I'm not saying they should continue with it but I'm saying that its full legacy will still be debated for years to come.

gsco's picture
gsco's picture
gsco Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 12:39pm

Maybe Australia’s most effective macroeconomic policy tool is immigration: when things are going well, increase it, and when things are going poorly, increase it even more..

dawnperiscope's picture
dawnperiscope's picture
dawnperiscope Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 2:17pm

Hard to argue, close the doors and no new customers can get in.

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 5:31pm

There's always "nation building infrastructure". Depending on who you ask, you're getting at least double back for every dollar ya chuck in.

We did it decades ago. Alas, another one of those things where every pollie post-Rudd has talked a big game about what they need to do but nobody has the cajones to do it. They're so frightened of the NIMBY response or tor focused on doing it in a way that wins them votes at the expense of project outcomes or how "the other side" will use the budget spend to against them at the next election. Orrrr they do it via PPP with the likes of Transurban so the ROI for the public is worse than non-existent once you lift the covers to see the terms of agreement (but for shareholders it's youuuuu little rippaaaaaa!).

Shame we never followed Norway and setup a proper/effective sovereign wealth fund for all resources (including fossil fuels) that actually functioned for the the betterment of the resource owners (the public). There's graph somewhere showing their revenue from gas and how "in spite of" their "more onerous royalties" the gas majors have not abandoned them.

Re. the QE discussion vs. cash. Looks like a lot of people forget Rudd/Swan opted for to give the handouts to the people and not big corporates (ok, putting Macquarie Group aside) and in this world of neoliberalism Swanny Swanny from the Block/Moreton Bay took the Brownlow home: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-21/swan-named-best-treasurer/2908654

Yes, yes China boom etc. etc. But still a useful reference point given the EU went for austerity, the US went austerity then switched to QE, and DownUnder went for helicopter money for plasmas, pinkbatts and making babies.

Anywho, my tip is still no more rate increases. But now it's less certain since the RBA may be/begin thinking that if they DON'T raise rates people/markets will think it's them caving to all the pressure and mud-slinging. Gotta appear strong and independent (which is true to be fair).

Behavioural economics is so fascinating...

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 5:37pm

oh, and one more thing.

I pay attention to the QLD auction clearance rate figure that comes up on the big RE website. I noticed at late FY22/mid-2022 it dropped pretty quickly (gee wonder why) and seemed to hit a floor around the low-mid 30 percents. Until late in 2022 it started to nudge up a bit towards more the mid-high 30s...and looky here it's now in the low 40s...

If I was a RE spruiker I'd be saying "Auction clearance rates have jumped massively, up a third since November. The bottom has clearly been reached! Call now to have a confidential discussion about the RE market in Nambour and how it's actually the next Byron Bay".

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 6:45pm

Japan's Central bank has bought:

$3,900,000,000,000 (roughly the total earnings of every Japanese citizen's wages for a year)

worth of bonds so far through QE.

Net result?

Their economy is still stuck with the same problems of a decade ago but now with massively larger public debt.

Give it a rest me thinks - it ain't worth it.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 7:35pm
mowgli wrote:

oh, and one more thing.

I pay attention to the QLD auction clearance rate figure that comes up on the big RE website. I noticed at late FY22/mid-2022 it dropped pretty quickly (gee wonder why) and seemed to hit a floor around the low-mid 30 percents. Until late in 2022 it started to nudge up a bit towards more the mid-high 30s...and looky here it's now in the low 40s...

If I was a RE spruiker I'd be saying "Auction clearance rates have jumped massively, up a third since November. The bottom has clearly been reached! Call now to have a confidential discussion about the RE market in Nambour and how it's actually the next Byron Bay".

The pimps and spivs love talking up "the next Byron Bay".
Would hate to see SW Rocks go the full flog.
https://www.realestate.com.au/news/could-these-idyllic-coastal-areas-be-...

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 8:42pm
gsco wrote:

Maybe Australia’s most effective macroeconomic policy tool is immigration: when things are going well, increase it, and when things are going poorly, increase it even more..

Haha. That’s gotta be tasty bait for the SN exiled he who shan’t be named.

In case you weren’t tacking the piss my view is it’s the shittiest tool ever when looked at cost benefit. Except of course if you own real estate. Endless continual growth policies are becoming increasingly clear how cooked they really are. Plenty of commentary articles and plots that show multiple recent recessions (now?) based on per capita GDP. As is my understanding.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 9:34pm

cannot believe chick on the drum the other night sprouting '...iimmigration doesn't increase house prices, immigration doesn't suppress wages...'

can go down totally unchalenged... still... when those that have recently, reluctantly, admitted using it to do just that (phillip lowe and co.) ...have so openly admmitted it does...

parallel universe stuff

also cannot believe benanke getting a nobel prize for quantative easing policies...

(legit. felt like a piss take)

the distance of some from realities of policy is actually quite alarming

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 23 Feb 2023 at 9:55pm

re. japan, something I find interesting that is totally overlooked - be it advocating for or against japanese style scenarois - is how bloody hard they work... how many hours they work... and how good a savers they are...

the above is pretty much all that has saved japan and quality of life through this crazy period I reckon, and makes any across country comparisons pretty invalid

I know a family in japan still paying off a million ++ mortgage from way back when... where the house is now worth half that, and the kids will inherit the mortgage...

immigration may have saved us from such scenarios... but what's the point, if kids cannot afford a place to live and single mum families are living in cars?

never thought I'd see the day, where homelessness amongst middle aged women would be such a problem in australia...

abject policy failure

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 24 Feb 2023 at 2:13am

Recapping ...thanx to the crew for replies...just going over that in an ordered way...
$200/wk rent x 50wks = $10,000 x 20 years = $200,000 Shortest Home/Loan (Interest aside)
It's just a base level Goldie guide that carries on thru time...tbb is not aware of other City's gigs!
Not sure if tbb will get away with a second ridiculous Home Loan life hack.
Don't ask why, but tbb factors this in as 10% investment return locked in...(How & Why!)
20 years x 10% = $200,000 > 10years = $400,000...( Said don't ask! ) Always does this & all can see!
Exactly...check on tbb's price chart...it squares up on the nearest dollar it does! Try it anyway ya like!
It is amazing how these simple formulas go unnoticed or unsaid...

Here's how our lifestyle is built around the exact same formula...again...just is!
tbb could claim another few hacks but we're keepin' it simple to move on...let's go!

Meaning the Real Estate doubles in value over 10 years as shown on above table.
Yep! Pretty weird huh & keeps doing that thru time > 10% return is set in stone as Gold Standard.
Soon as Interest Rates hit 10% all properties are sold & all race to secure land banks!
Again... that's another hack tbb picked up in the trade over a lifetime...(Just don't ask!)
Probably why kids got high Maths / Accountancy honours & tbb didn't!

Just saying unless 2x wages are at 5% they fall behind the next 6th month catch up rent payment.
So the standard 2x Adult 5% wage hike pays the 10% annual increase.
Any bonus or savings (eg) Flatmate covers 5% inflation + 5% interest...all very rational.
The 3rd income covers rent during family planing...otherwise, how does the couple become a couple?
Couple commit & the Home Loan is signed & bub is on the way > Flatmate gets marching orders.
Again...these are just oldschool life hacks that ring true for the most part...happy to share!
We are only human...each have a sense of duty to each other, so it sorts itself out!

tbb salutes...Crew are wise to all this but it's now changing fast again.
This brand new upmarket Senior Parent Generation (above post) are quite often single / same sex.
Ok! tbb said it...can't unsay it!
Repeating this gen of parents are 10 years older...amazing!
Stands to reason that these births need expensive med tech & no guarantees! Got it!
Kinda wot tbb was avoiding in saying...coz ya say it wrong each time! Crew know what that's about!

Plebiscite was the "Legal" delay...now the new world is coming on real real fast on every level.
These Parents froze their seed & eggs 10 years back & only now can commit to uncharted quest.
This is all new folks...all around the world...we never once did this in this fashion...A-Z generation
These senior parents re-enter communities as part retired same sex or single parent/s.

Ok! So now crew can see why Elderly wealthy Same Sex parents weird out State School Bullies...Holy shit?
None...Never saw that Tidal Wave rise up...yet Love is all around!

Private Schools can best cushion or even hide this gen of Cotton Wool kids without fear of bullies.
Pause! tbb don't mean to tarnish this next gen...still new to all of us, as is this next shocker...
Private Schools already cater for Senior wealthy parents...crew can see, it's the Perfect Foil.
Here's the irony : Wealthy opposing Parents as a Team (vs) Tolerant Rich/Poor Parents as poles apart!
All about the Money...Money buys peace & happiness > never forget that Gromz!

NSW Govt is rebating $2,000 for IVF for first time 40-50 year parents > soon to be nationwide.
These are them CEO Teals that rule our world & boss policy to accommodate 10 year late arrivals
Tonite : The Voice Labs > Bossed by Kitchen Table Teals...Yes! Exactly...drafting 1st Nation Voice.
No! Not tbb having a crack...ABC reported on hiring the Teals wealth & smarts to calm the waters.
We see this Wealth shift Policy daily in our Politics & Surf Comps & WSL Event news more each day.

Thanx for reading & kind comments...actually felt a bit odd sharing own world but the aim is true!
tbb's family are fine to share more local insight on real life rent rises from about the Goldie & Sunny.
These are all recent as we speak...reckon they will help the crew to see wot sort of push is on.
As said...2032 Olympic SEQ Rent rises are warming up...so we could be livin' in a countdown bubble!
Crew are smart enough to know that Olympics drive out the locals & SEQ will boss that like no other!

Let the Games begin..
Palm Beach Postie was paying $800/wk > rent rose 50% to $1,200/wk (Here's what he did!)
PRD Realty now pays the Postie more for 3 days flyers than Oz Post did for 5 days mail! (All sorted)
Yes! Worth checking out a job as a shit kicking Real Estate high flyer.

Nobby's Beach couple dreamt of upmarket Magic Mountain Rental.
Were paying $550 & forked out $250 extra for upmarket Condo $800/wk rent...
Dream come true!
After their 1st "6 month Lease" Their Rent was increased 25% from $800/wk to $1,000/wk
Dream turned sour...
Can't do the extra bucks...now collared with almost double their rent of 6 months back! Wow!
Can't backtrack to former $550/wk rental...Bye Bye!

Sunny Coast Real Estate suggested bro to increase Rent (33%) from $450/wk to $750/wk.
Won't go into detail but sale was the end game...so no one copped that slab...thank goodness!

tbb's neighbourhood recap was the Reedy Creek Duplex 75% rise from $480 > $840

SEQ current real estate backed rent rises on Goldie > Sunny Coasts 20% > 33% > 50% > 75%
tbb feels for the crew...exactly why this info is being gathered & shared by tbb's Family...hope it helps!

Ridiculous for the World to keep spinning with massive rent hikes beyond all reason.
Ain't no Bank of Govt can sort this lot...blows yer mind how young couples are gonna do this!
Recall 50,000 wealthy southerners just moved to Qld...
Reckon 50,000 poor Qldurrz are gonna get booted south...we're sorry 'bout that!

tbb has a wedding to pay for...comes outta the mortgage & place is run down...no easy run home!
Crew might think it's easy for us Hodads...nope! Reality check...never gets easier!
Bloody tuff for the Gromz & we hodads wanna help where we can...hope oldschool smart sense helps!

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Friday, 24 Feb 2023 at 8:52am

"hope oldschool smart sense helps"
Most useful tool in the shed TBB I reckon.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 24 Feb 2023 at 9:19am
mowgli wrote:

"Call now to have a confidential discussion about the RE market in Nambour and how it's actually the next Byron Bay".

I say in jest, mum's fam are from around there...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 24 Feb 2023 at 9:48am

tbb another excellent post - speaking truth to power with the older parents. Went to a kindy dinner as 20 something parents, were given a brochure by the other parents "How to be a parent," will never forget that. 20+ years later, the parenting results are in and I'd say us youngin's outperformed (or: rather dodged some of the bad stuff that can happen and did to this lot).

Can you explain the maths at the start of your post in a little more depth? I've heard that RE has a recorded 7% gain pa that can be traced back to the Domesday book...

And: there's hope if young. Look at some areas I know of, a young couple can get together and rent a duplex at about $250 a week, there's work and mines around if you want $$$ - buying said duplex is about 200-250K, you can go bigger if you want. This means young couples can get together and with affordable housing, have children at the historical age, when fertility is best.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 24 Feb 2023 at 6:43pm

https://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/interest-rates/cba-accused-of-go...

This one's pure bait, but I can't get past the typology - MSM describing the subject of the article as just 'a boomer'... In the past, they might say 'a Brisbane Man', but now, it's just 'a boomer':

"A Boomer has hit out at one of Australia’s big four banks for causing customers a “huge” amount of financial pain, while it rakes in record profits."

"A Boomer, who owns two properties worth $3 million, has hit out at the Commonwealth Bank for “gouging” customers with skyrocketing interest rates after making record profits — with concerns many homeowners would be in a “much worse” situation compared to him."

I guess the editor had left work for the weekend already?

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Friday, 24 Feb 2023 at 9:21pm

Those bank profits are obscene. Rather than messing with workers super, how about a super profit tax on the banks.

Read somewhere that every 0.25% increase in the cash rate expands bank net interest margins by around 0.02% which accumulates profit enormously with all the loans they are holding.

monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy Saturday, 25 Feb 2023 at 11:05am
Distracted wrote:

Those bank profits are obscene. Rather than messing with workers super, how about a super profit tax on the banks.

Read somewhere that every 0.25% increase in the cash rate expands bank net interest margins by around 0.02% which accumulates profit enormously with all the loans they are holding.

The banks have certainly been given plenty of silver spoons since the GFC, that cannot be argued.

But what is also obscene is the suppression of interest rates and government policy tempting people to take out huge loans to afford a house whose price has been ramped by those exact policies - an idiot could have seen the effect of those policies; and I'm sure they knew. Like I've said before; western governments and the Japanese have been busting for inflation for 15 years to wash away public debt; now they have it in spades with more to come. Idiots.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Saturday, 25 Feb 2023 at 11:18am
mowgli wrote:

oh, and one more thing.

Auction clearance rates don’t signal the bottom is in. If Auction Clearance rates rise they could actually be desperate sellers trying to get out of a dumping market or they can’t afford the huge mortgage increases due to increasing rates. You can’t just look at auction clearance rates in isolation. Also have to look at house price rise/fall.

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Saturday, 25 Feb 2023 at 2:57pm

Chill, Winstonnnn.

Was just takin' the piss.

In other news, His Holiness Ian Lowe admitted that the fancy models they use, and supplied by gsco, are pretty much useless when it comes to factoring in supply-side inflation.... I'm sorry, in the quiet words of the Virgin Mary....come again? Or as the kids say these days... DA FUQ BRO, U FOR REAL!?

So not only has the RBA admitted that their models do a bang up (shit) shop at accounting for supply-side driven inflation, and not only can we all see that is what is driving it a lot, but additional analysis released this week has shown that price gouging above cost input increases by big corporates (i.e., not consumer demand) is responsible for a couple percentage points in the inflation figures AND that supply chain bottle necks and then the war in Ukraine is responsible for another few % points. All up, I saw something saying about 2/3 of inflation drivers are external to Australia so raising rates here will do sweet fuck all. Not only that, but the RBA keeps banging on about wage uplift that despite saying the same thing every year for the past 10 years it has not materialised. So, a great track record they have and I said it a few thread pages ago, if this mob were executives in a business they would've been fired years ago with a track record like that.

All told, the component of inflation actually being driven by consumer behaviour has been shown to be....wait for it.....djembe/drum roll please...... 2.7%.... within the erection inducing range for an RBA boffin...

Oh, what's that I hear you say? Lifting rates will cause people to cut back spending so the big corporates then cut prices? Yeah nah, not me. nearly >50% of our net income is now going to the mortgage. The rest is on food, fuel/car related costs, daycare and utilities. We tried to refinance recently and they didn't believe our costs (excl. mortgage) were so low (dunno wtf people spend their money on). So forgive me for being a bit miffed about interest rate rises that plenty of much smarter and some highly qualified people who've done analysis say all these rises are doing is hurting low-middle income (mostly younger) households and it'll have almost no effect on inflation.

As the folks at Juice Media say: Cool & Normal!

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 25 Feb 2023 at 5:01pm
monkeyboy wrote:

The banks have certainly been given plenty of silver spoons since the GFC, that cannot be argued.

But what is also obscene is the suppression of interest rates and government policy tempting people to take out huge loans to afford a house whose price has been ramped by those exact policies - an idiot could have seen the effect of those policies; and I'm sure they knew. Like I've said before; western governments and the Japanese have been busting for inflation for 15 years to wash away public debt; now they have it in spades with more to come. Idiots.

The suppression of interest rates (robbing savers) happened for a decade, and correlates to juicing the money supply. Which they've done enormously. Check this M2 chart (select:max) and do a rough estimate on how closely it corresponds to house prices... Check the covid rise too...

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/australia/money-supply-m2

monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy's picture
monkeyboy Saturday, 25 Feb 2023 at 5:33pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

The suppression of interest rates (robbing savers) happened for a decade, and correlates to juicing the money supply. Which they've done enormously. Check this M2 chart (select:max) and do a rough estimate on how closely it corresponds to house prices... Check the covid rise too...

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/australia/money-supply-m2

Yep - and overlay that with the ASX. Same with the S&P500.

Although the US chart is starting to look pretty miserable. Look out below.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Sunday, 26 Feb 2023 at 10:35am

RBA modelling.

If you ever try building any forecasting model you quickly realise that you have to make many subjective judgements on many assumptions. In economics many of these are set by group think and high priest economic theorists.

Also, once you do "what if" scenarios you realise that shifts in variables can produce quite radically different results.

A thousand phd economists at the Fed and the RBA would find the same.

Can they send up radical scenario forecast to their board or publish them or even show their boss?

No. Career suicide.

So they build goal seeking outcomes into the models. They make sure inflation or growth predictions are always within safe boundaries that won't raise eyebrows.

They are weather forecasters predicting based on mean temperature, rainfall and wind speed data using models that will assume roughly more of the same. So they cannot spot storms until they are almost over.

The flaws in their modelling approach are baked into the cake.

dawnperiscope's picture
dawnperiscope's picture
dawnperiscope Monday, 27 Feb 2023 at 12:07pm
bonza wrote:
gsco wrote:

Haha. That’s gotta be tasty bait for the SN exiled he who shan’t be named.

In case you weren’t tacking the piss my view is it’s the shittiest tool ever when looked at cost benefit. Except of course if you own real estate. Endless continual growth policies are becoming increasingly clear how cooked they really are. Plenty of commentary articles and plots that show multiple recent recessions (now?) based on per capita GDP. As is my understanding.

Interesting read - https://www.penguin.com.au/books/australias-second-chance-9780143783640

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 27 Feb 2023 at 4:05pm

Came across this very good article on the weekend, by a man who certainly has the runs on the board, and has spent the time at the wicket to know a big change when he sees one:

https://www.oaktreecapital.com/insights/memo/sea-change

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 27 Feb 2023 at 4:20pm

https://www.afr.com/companies/financial-services/apra-will-hold-home-loa...

APRA will not reduce the home loan buffers after all. That's one of the bailout contenders that won't be happening.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Monday, 27 Feb 2023 at 4:42pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

https://www.afr.com/companies/financial-services/apra-will-hold-home-loa...

APRA will not reduce the home loan buffers after all. That's one of the bailout contenders that won't be happening.

thats good

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Monday, 27 Feb 2023 at 7:57pm
gsco wrote:

But flollo you're not allowed to state facts anymore, how dare you...!

Nowadays you're only allowed to relentlessly spam and echo a tirade of information warfare and abuse at the RBA, accusing it of being an oppressive, evil champion of neoliberalism and the wealthy elite, of intentionally aiming at causing a recession and entrenching inequality, disadvantage, poverty and suffering, and at bringing the average Aussie battler and all of working class society to its knees, begging for mercy.

You're meant to be arguing that the cause of inflation is excessive profits of greedy corporations, supply side shocks (cost push inflation), and wealthy property investors and baby boomers on a mission to destroy the plebs and serfs. You're meant to be arguing that pent up demand and spending due to a couple decades of ultra low global interest rates and quantitative easing, and due to massive and out-of-control govt covid stimulus globally, actually have nothing to do with it. And anyway, back in mid to late 2021, how on earth did the RBA not forecast that Russia would invade Ukraine and cause an energy price shock - like how stupid and useless can they be...what idiots...sack them all!

You're meant to ignore the fact that the RBA has teams of economic and econometric modellers advising on monetary policy and who actually have a model-based factual, objective, quantitative view of economic and financial conditions when providing their advice. Supposedly these people don't exist, or at least the models they use are no better than tarot cards and palm reading.

You're meant to be arguing that the RBA has no idea about what it's doing, that it's all useless idiots sitting around making stuff up and guessing, and therefore needs an overhaul, starting with everyone being fired, particularly the governor himself. You're meant to be on a witch-hunt and backing a full blown enquiry of the RBA with the intention of completely dismantling it due to its absolute failure in economic policy and management in every way possible over the past 30 years of the inflation targeting era...

You're in fact meant to be blaming all of Australia's economic, cost of living, housing affordability, social, Indigenous Australia, etc...you name it...problems on the RBA. Get onboard...

You're certainly not meant to be pointing out the obvious that the recent increases in interest rates are simply bringing them back more into line with historical levels, and they're still historically relatively low.

That's just plain not woke.

Good 730 report by Kohler tonight gsco….

…what say you

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Monday, 27 Feb 2023 at 7:59pm

On a good side, these were unimaginable just few months ago

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 6:30pm
flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 6:59pm

So it's moving to 2025 now? It seems to be moving every year but nothing ever happens.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 1 Mar 2023 at 9:21pm

"More pain to come."

Jeez don, you should get that printed on a shirt.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 12:03am
flollo wrote:

So it's moving to 2025 now? It seems to be moving every year but nothing ever happens.

Did you listen to the whole interview? Recession mid 2023 with a full blown depression 2025 potentially as early as late 2024.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 12:47pm

Earnest Hemingway famously quoted:

“How Did You Go Bankrupt?” “Two Ways. Gradually and Then Suddenly.”

Financial crisis within businesses and the economy as whole have an element of this in the processes that lead to the big events.

Pretending, extending, hoping, denying, fiddling, borrowing, begging etc. can stretch out the lead up a long way.

Lag effects of policy moves can be 6 or 12 months or more.

In the background, weaker businesses, with high debt now are now getting squeezed big time by interest rates and input cost inflation.

In the economy, massive flows of money in the economic pipelines are freezing here or there and lenders pull in loans or decide collateral offered is no longer adequate. Pipes freeze and break until in market terms "somethings breaks".

Interestingly, the UK bond market or Credit Suisse could have been that break last year but was just papered over. Countries like Pakistan are close to breaking.

What else is out there that is creaking or freezing under strain? Quite a lot.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 2:03pm

A new suburb in Shoalhaven, will they have any trouble selling it?

https://www.shoalhaven.nsw.gov.au/Council/News/Shoalhavens-newest-suburb...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 4:51pm
donweather wrote:

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/national-home-prices-edge-upwards-as-...

Deadcat bounce IMO

More pain to come.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/finance/finance-news/2023/03/01/economy-growt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BZl0CpYtDQ&list=PL7vUOWh5dtHN0HL-ckjHLe...

that was a good vid

good big big picture dude...

I don't quite understand the bond yield curve trigger he's on about, but the new blocks, new petro currency, and 'secretive' gold bullion stock piling steps he mentions - are all well well underway from stuff I've read.

personally I cannot quite see an old school depression in the modern context, but hey, what woud I know...

surely the US is well aware of all these moving chess pieces... and would have some contingency 'plan' in place?

(though my current feeling is, no, with the current administration, who seem so blinded by ideology, outrageous hubris, and the barely warm body 'leading' them...

for better or worse - love him or hate him... trump was way more onto, and proactive about such things...)

the real interesting point is / was, germany, and their curious, mecurial, 'aliances' ...putting nordstream aside... you've really got to wonder what besides money and convenience motivates them...

it would seem deeper, and much like many of the other countries slipping away / coalescing he mentions, is largely motivated by a deep anti american sentiment...

which I share

but given the alternatives... it's a firm... no thanks!

another interesting point is the emphasis he puts on oil and price

....while the US goes all 'all in' renewables, with seemingly no strategic energy independence otherwise...

al looks pure blind faith and hubris to me

but... maybe, just maybe.... they have that card up their sleeve...

I hope so... for our sakes, and our own self inflicted, stupid and ridiculous lack of independence...

but it sure don't feel like it

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 4:44pm

Reopening of Borders + Rising ninepeat interest rates on record high Mortgages
Govt to convert '200 Unused' Uni Student lodgings into Emergency Housing Hostels by mid Year
A down market Reffo Camp closer to the food bank than the outback Centre for National Resilience.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/australia-rental-crisis-griffith-unive...

Bne has 16,000 Student lodgings or 14 students/bed > Entry level $350 per bedroom +[P]
(Fact: There are no Unused Uni lodgings)
Bne Uni Lodgings are swamped by 26% Oz Students + 27% Chinese Students
Mass Oz invasion of 50,000 Chinese Students have eyes on their prize & movin' in for the Kill.
Govt are hiving out Oz Uni student lodgings to Wealthy Chinese & 3peat Floodies + 9peat mortgagees!
Resulting in Code Red Student Rental Crisis.

Let the ongoing 2032 Games Marathon Crisis begin!

Students fighting off 100 > 200 for same 1/2 bed units + 6mths advance rent > Expect 35 knockbacks!
https://www.realcommercial.com.au/news/rent-crisis-warning-as-students-f...

SEQ Rent Ramping Uni Protesters want a roof over their Heads.
When do they want it...Now!

tbb is again happy to share Ye Olde School Youth Rent Wake up Call to allay the Crisis.
Reckon this is weirdly another swellnet Exclusive > not been caught up in a time warp rental rip before!
tbb will cover the basics, just to shift rental gears into interstellar overdrive & no more (Promise!)

Aussie renter's Squishometer
1970 -Vans/Flats > 1980 -2 Flatmates > 1990 -3 Flatmates > 2020 -4 Flatmates (Now Bog Standard)

Straight up front...How come none talk about this major shift in Populous? Huh! C'mon now!
Not on tbb's watch ya don't...Gromz need Useless Daggy Hodads to prise open Stinky Bait Packs.
Give it the sniff test is all they're asking!...so put a peg on yer nose as we wade in deep!
Here goes...lets pretend to care! Cry! Cry!

1970 -(No Bond / Mates Reference) Single Lodging/Van (All Bills Paid + Share Phone) Yard/Paddock [P]
' 70's - Youth lived in Large Beach Caravan Parks & Tents > (Now pay $80/day just for a piece of the same Turf)
1980 -(Bond 2 wks Rent) 2 share- Landlord paid Electricity / Water / Phone Hook Up > DIY TV / Road [P]
1990 -2010 (Bond 1 mth) 3 share - Landlord paid Water Bills + TV/Internet Access + 1 LU [P]
2010 -2023 (Bond-Rent Security 3-6 mths) 4 share - Landlord TV/Internet Access + 1 LU [P] Share [P]
2023 -Student Hostel Lodging $350/wk per bedroom share Kitchen / No hot Water $20 Laundry $30 Keycode [P]
2023 -Townhouse = 1 Couples Room + 2 bed / 1LUP / 1 Share > 2 Road [P] (Max 2 coded entry keys)
2 Roadies hide in the bush to storm the Gate > Nightshift lads sleep in cars, spotting headlights...Go! Go!
We Hodads then step in to pull the plug on this caper..."That's no Life Son! Yer Room's how ya left it!

Recapping on SEQ Olympic sized rent hikes...
2023 (So far) 20% > 33% > 50% > 70% (All on 6 month Leases but on delayed increases)
Q: Will students break those records...we shall review & see..hope not!

SEQ Student Rent Crisis
Nov 2022 Crisis started with Students competing for 2023 Start of Term lodgings.
Crisis Talks...
Real Estate Agents told Uni Students to suck it up!
Get Real Advice : "Students should offer to pay heaps extra & offer to Pay 6 months Rent in Advance!"
Or ya can get the fuck outta my doorway...Please!
73% of open Chinese Student boarders are conditioned to being fleeced for term payments up front!
Oz parents can't afford this up front 6mth "Reverse Hex Rent" option for their kidz...Yep! It's now a thing!
https://au.news.yahoo.com/illegal-request-to-struggling-student-amid-dau...
Very compassionate assistance package from Real Estate Mobsters! Another SEQ Rental Crisis Averted!

Stats :
Living at home Youth (20-24yrs) 2008-48% > 2018-58%
Notice how this companions the 10% increase in private Education with 10yr Older Parents Gen.
The Cotton Wool Gen.

Tip! They reckon this is fuelling the selfish me gen - my rights...(re: Oz Democrats Agenda)
None dare mix with society but push forth compounded blinkered "Judgmental Righteous Agenda!"

National Rent increases : Sept 2020 ($430/wk) - Jan 2023 ($519/wk)
The largest rent increases on record 22.2% (2022 Oz Record = 10.2% rent rise )
(Recall tbb mentioned above 10%/yr is standard rent increase for Gold Coast Renters)

Sydney 28 Jan 2020-2023 (7.9% 3yrs) > 2022-2023 yr (29.2% yr) > 2023 (23%)
Inner Melbourne 'Overall' rents increased 33.6%
Bne 15% rise yr

Meaning...All East Coast CBD Rentals are pumping out 50% >100% record rents right now...rising!
Yes! Should be front & centre of News...
Well it is a Forum in #1 swellnet...salute the crew! Leading from the Front!

Pretty sure we can ramp that up a bit for Uni Students...Let's Go! Forget tbb said that? (Not Funny!)
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/30/they-miss-out-soa...

Unis Catchment Rental samples...
Glebe Newcastle 6.8% mth > 33.4%/yr
Kensington 38.9% yr
Carlton 21.1% yr
UQ Campus - 20% No hot Water / $20 Laundry load / $30 for Spare Key (Assist)
Gatton Campus - 40%
Brisbane 76% (New SEQ Peak % Rent Rise) Who could've guessed...well durr!
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-05/qld-student-university-accommodat...
$1,000 wk for a Campus Cardboard Box on a patch of dirt + Undercover Scooter [P]
Must be some kind Joke...err! Anything but a Joke! Can share a photo of that Posh Campus Cocoon!
https://www.semperfloreat.com.au/uq-brisbanes-worst-landlord/

Wed 1st March 2023 UQ Student Housing Crisis Protest (Was on last night's News)

This being the swellnet 2023 Student Rental Crisis Review...

swellnet Hodads are Happy to share our research if it helps the Gromz get a fair go!
This ain't right & we all gotta sort it...
tbb & crew back & join the Uni Gromz protest!

PS: Crisis is worsening with min 5% March 2023 rental rise already locked in...

Sez, I'm Doublin' the rent Coz the building's condemned!

swellnet punk hodads tribute Uni Protesters...We know ya can!

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 4:36pm

personally, I don't like all this talk of inevitability of war, coming from absolutely all angles...

I know, history, ...and markets, debts, and resources and stuff...

but I (still) think the modern world is smarter than that...

could be

should be...

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 2 Mar 2023 at 6:54pm

The smartest way to avoid such a war is for the ruling class to stop screwing everyone else.

Yesterday the Tasmanian premier declared we were the envy of the world. Today a homeless camp outside the CBD featured in the news, with two of them saying they have considered committing a crime and going back to prison because there's nowhere to live on the outside.

The situation is so much worse than anyone thinks and I figure the only thing holding it together is that we live in a world dominated by capitalist realism. People can't imagine anything else, and so keep desperately chugging along at the thing that they know harms them and others and the planet.

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Friday, 3 Mar 2023 at 10:40am
dandandan wrote:

The smartest way to avoid such a war is for the ruling class to stop screwing everyone else.

Yesterday the Tasmanian premier declared we were the envy of the world. Today a homeless camp outside the CBD featured in the news, with two of them saying they have considered committing a crime and going back to prison because there's nowhere to live on the outside.

The situation is so much worse than anyone thinks and I figure the only thing holding it together is that we live in a world dominated by capitalist realism. People can't imagine anything else, and so keep desperately chugging along at the thing that they know harms them and others and the planet.

He did get one thing correct dandandan by referring to us in the past tense being the envy of the world. Mind you this is the same bloke who said "there are certain Tasmanians that make a business out of saying no to development in Tasmania" when asked about the $ 750,000,000.00 football stadium. I guess we can always house the homeless there when the footy isn't on. At least they will have access to shower and toilet facilities.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 3 Mar 2023 at 1:22pm

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 3 Mar 2023 at 1:31pm
truebluebasher wrote:

Reopening of Borders + Rising ninepeat interest rates on record high Mortgages
Govt to convert '200 Unused' Uni Student lodgings into Emergency Housing Hostels by mid Year
A down market Reffo Camp closer to the food bank than the outback Centre for National Resilience.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/australia-rental-crisis-griffith-unive...

Bne has 16,000 Student lodgings or 14 students/bed > Entry level $350 per bedroom +[P]
(Fact: There are no Unused Uni lodgings)
Bne Uni Lodgings are swamped by 26% Oz Students + 27% Chinese Students
Mass Oz invasion of 50,000 Chinese Students have eyes on their prize & movin' in for the Kill.
Govt are hiving out Oz Uni student lodgings to Wealthy Chinese & 3peat Floodies + 9peat mortgagees!
Resulting in Code Red Student Rental Crisis.

Let the ongoing 2032 Games Marathon Crisis begin!

Yeah wow tbb. Eldest is now off with Nana for uni lodgings far away... we can keep the costs down by being 'in house'. And study course is focussed on individual - not group- study unlike prior uni, so he doesn't have to complete the assignment for the whole table anymore!