Localism

Trisso4's picture
Trisso4 started the topic in Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 7:26pm

I've been road tripping around Australia seeking some good surf spots at lesser known places. I've come across some really great waves with no crowds, but my experience has been tarnished by a handful of territorial locals who seem to have a different set of rules for visiting surfers or just don't like us there at all. My experiences have been encountered in surf spots with plenty of good waves and very few riders out.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not the type to show up at a surf spot and act like I own the place and disrespect general etiquette. But there seems to be an attitude from some locals that it's 'their wave' and locals get first preference of any wave and visitors just get the scraps.

To put things in perspective, if a group of tourist are passing through a town and queuing up to buy things at the local store, does a local have the right to push in line and get served ahead of the tourists? Disrespectful visitors/tourists is one thing, but it can also go hand in hand with local a-holes who think they own a public area of recreation.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 10:12pm

What are you talking about southy, no one edited anything. Are you going to start another conspiracy theory? Yesterday didn't happen southy, walk away don't look back, tell no one.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 10:28pm

okay . I'll go with that .... I've Worked 9 days straight so Perhaps Sunday the 5th didn't exist ??
No i get it , it merged to another thread ( Social.... .......... ..... ) ... clearly i need sleep

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 at 7:50am

OC maybe we went a bit aggro and sort of glad to see you using my guideline in future, but i cringe reading that list a bit.
Could change a few and add a few such as not telling everyone on the internet where a sensitive spot is especially before its going to get good. After surfing it not so bad.

Personally i find it funny if showing a video of a good wave not so known reversing the image/video so its a left not a right and call it bumsteer point or falso namo reef sort of thing.

Anyway telling everyone in Melbourne where the banks are good and where you are surfing is not kosher.
In the parts i surf down from here you'd get banned from spots for that for years. people would remember your face forever and never get a wave again, even if you rip. Maybe bashed, slashed tyres who knows.
Not many would understand that but the waves are better than the goldy in my opinion and not too crowded. (Especially the rivermouth of lake koolkootinnie) The locals would like to keep them that way. They deserve that right.

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 at 10:53am

Yeah fair call. I've already taken it onboard. I've set the profile to our group as private and i'll only accept friends of friends as newcomers. I won't make any posts about specific wave conditions within the group and thats my duty to the larger surfing fraternity

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 at 10:58am
silicun wrote:

learning is life long for those with a little humility and something to treasure.

Wow that's powerful stuff, make a good mantra!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 at 12:04pm

Anyone getting good waves at the moment.........................

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 at 1:36pm

Shit in Sydney but at least there's something!

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 at 2:39pm

garbage here, finally a decent southerly swell has pushed through this morning but its a windy mess, tomorrow early is looking the goods

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 at 5:16pm
southey wrote:

didn't think so .... I could use your "skill" from time to time though .
, maybe if MitchVG was good enough to get out the " whiteout " then it could stay our little Joke ....
Its funny , Goofy outed me , by saying hello on Facebook ....
I presume you looked for comments on the SN page that echoed " fumblings " ....

Well you should of covered your tracks a bit better Southey hahah..

OC please don't surf the peninsula anymore. No-one like guys pushing down the lip on the shoulder

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Tuesday, 7 Jan 2014 at 8:32pm

Ahh Goofy , How goes it ....
I don't need to cover my tracks much when it comes to the Peninsula , they were well worn long ago . Pretty sure i would have made one or two new ones , a long time ago though . Besides it helps when you know and have known all the Crazies for years both there and the Island . .
Its only in " Greener Pastures " that i have and continue to tread lightly . Although i must say it was un naturally Intimate last time near the Tip .

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 5:53am

Been hanging out with a tent and a very large bag of biltong, soft plastic lures and flys at lake koolkootinnie rivermouth for the last two months. Not a hint of swell yet.
When it pumps though its worth it.
The waters pretty salty though. Someone told me it pumps any way. They better be right.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 8:59am

GS, at least you have luxuries to keep you amused.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 12:51pm

nah was a stupid joke. its out there in the desert of Northern south oz

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=lake+koolkootinnie&oe=utf-8&client=fir...

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 12:14pm

You got me thinking of some river bar breaks back home, the best waves to be had in NZ when they're on.
http://paulkennedy.photoshelter.com/image/I0000tIK.h5LfPP0

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 1:03pm

Nice looking spot, really have to get there sometime.
Hows this spot, its localized and known so no harm putting it here, i just find it an amazing setup, in the middle of the river that separates BC and Washington state.

48.147362,-123.544314

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=48.147362,-123.544314&oe=utf-8&client=...

Theres one vid of it on youtube at 2 ft, kind of junky double up wind swell but looks sooooo fun and tubular.
It actually does get some swell in there. over 3km's of not so linking setups. On google earth the end looks like the most perfect section.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 2:44pm

Shhh, don't tell anybody about this uncrowded little gem.

It's just between us surfer dudes, ok?

http://www.surferdad.co.uk/party-waves

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 2:32pm

GS ,
Would of been F*&*((^ HOT up there in the last week or two .... You've doen well to report live from Australia's version of Nazarre ....
Keep up the good work , and keep ya Tinny's Cold .
As for the Salish Sea , i bet ya those "Sooke's" from Canada don't cross to Surf it .....

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 4:10pm

Jesus Zen, hows the pic of Trigg!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 4:14pm

And that's just the dawn patrollers Fitzy, shoulda' seen it at 10am.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 7:26pm

OOps Sorry I did not not realise the bookmark above my link said such things,

But saying that no one here at all, will ever end up surfing there in their life.
It is so fickle and shit...........

This is a way better spot especially with plastic lures and big bag full of biltong....

http://www.tongarirorivermotel.co.nz/pool-reports/town-pools/bridge/

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 8:49pm

My wave fuck off...............

VICLongboard's picture
VICLongboard's picture
VICLongboard Wednesday, 8 Jan 2014 at 10:29pm
Trisso4 wrote:

I've been road tripping around Australia seeking some good surf spots at lesser known places. I've come across some really great waves with no crowds, but my experience has been tarnished by a handful of territorial locals who seem to have a different set of rules for visiting surfers or just don't like us there at all. My experiences have been encountered in surf spots with plenty of good waves and very few riders out.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not the type to show up at a surf spot and act like I own the place and disrespect general etiquette. But there seems to be an attitude from some locals that it's 'their wave' and locals get first preference of any wave and visitors just get the scraps.

To put things in perspective, if a group of tourist are passing through a town and queuing up to buy things at the local store, does a local have the right to push in line and get served ahead of the tourists? Disrespectful visitors/tourists is one thing, but it can also go hand in hand with local a-holes who think they own a public area of recreation.

Interesting topic.

I have been on both sides of the fence.. I lived at snatches in rye for years... with my parents.. it was my backyard break. I never tried to flex local power... but the locals knew the banks and surfed more (fitter) so we caught a lot more waves then the weekend crews.

Now i'm a melbourner again so i am the one getting evil looks for the young ripper groms down the east coast. What i have found works best... is let your surfing do the talking and the pack will respect that. I have mainly surfed 8 and 9 foot performance mals since i was 16 so i have copped a lot of shit due to that. Surfed bells 5 weeks ago and had shorties complaining i was getting to many waves... ( i can take off deep and make it) i just smile and tell them to buy a mal... anyway if you sit outside on the bowel what the hell do you think you will catch??

end of the day guys in the water get frustrated and blame everyone... that's life ignore them.... the only real localism I have seen is at the gold coast (called a touro, told to f off) phillip island (epress you have to wait your turn or cop it) and Flinders... local boys used to write messages to the blow ins. once you surf a break regularly are polite rip a few up... you normally start to get to know people out there.
locals, the guys that can really surf rarely carry on like Muppets. Not the guys I surfed with anyway. They just surfed better and dominated the line up...

messmate's picture
messmate's picture
messmate Thursday, 9 Jan 2014 at 2:27pm

I live a long way south of Sydney. Only one well known local BAR break gets a crowd and is renowned for it's "shunts". Elsewhere if you are prepared to put in the time learning which beach break works in what particular conditions you can score good uncrowded waves out of the small towns. I must admit that even when other local ask where I have been surfing I often give vague answers unless it is a well known spot. There are just so many surfers out there now................... My own local has a caravan park beachfront which is almost empty or has a few grey nomads except for Easter and xmas. If the swell is small you either deal with the crowd or go elsewhere or go very early or very late if possible. Or wait until it gets big when the size sorts out the crowd. I have drawn a smiley face of the nose of my board to remind me why I am out there :-)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 9 Jan 2014 at 2:56pm

I've drawn a picture of my nagging wife to remind me why I'm out there too.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Thursday, 9 Jan 2014 at 10:10pm

Zen, you are the Master.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 10 Jan 2014 at 12:03am
wellymon wrote:

But saying that no one here at all, will ever end up surfing there in their life.

This is a way better spot especially with plastic lures and big bag full of biltong....

Wow how is that 9 1/2 pound trout!

By the way im pretty sure no one else can not see whats in your browser tabs or bookmarks when you post a link.
Unless its a screen shot.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 10 Jan 2014 at 4:57pm

GS, no worries, I thought I got 3rd degree burns from that one, not second degree..........:)

jim2403's picture
jim2403's picture
jim2403 Wednesday, 26 Feb 2014 at 8:16pm

Has any one seen the guy with Curley hair dark skin at the pass at byron,
Never seen anything like it, this guy is unbelievable no one seems to want to say any thing
Surely some one has seen this guy.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 26 Feb 2014 at 8:22pm

seen him do what?

jim2403's picture
jim2403's picture
jim2403 Thursday, 27 Feb 2014 at 11:20am

Drops in on any wave he chooses if some one keeps surfing the wave he flicks his board at them doesn't matter who it is women children anybody, when he is on a wave he concentrates more on screaming fuck off to any body even watching his wave more then surfing it the guys a maniac never seen anything like it.
This sort of stuff puts you rite off the sport just don't understand the thought process of some pe

jim2403's picture
jim2403's picture
jim2403 Thursday, 27 Feb 2014 at 11:20am

Drops in on any wave he chooses if some one keeps surfing the wave he flicks his board at them doesn't matter who it is women children anybody, when he is on a wave he concentrates more on screaming fuck off to any body even watching his wave more then surfing it the guys a maniac never seen anything like it.
This sort of stuff puts you rite off the sport just don't understand the thought process of some people

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 27 Feb 2014 at 11:40am

Cut his lovely curls off and give him the back of your hand slap accross his face.
That might be slow him down a bit before he injures someone, next time I'm down that way and see that kind of shit happeneing, well say no more.
You tell him from me Jim 24 0 three, sting like a butterfly, fly like a bee, it will be the punch from Weeeeliiie.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 27 Feb 2014 at 12:20pm

Get some gopro footage of this tool in action.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 27 Feb 2014 at 2:47pm

Jim ,

Perhaps he is doing you all a favour ..

In your words " This sort of stuff puts you rite off the sport " , and hopefully it might put alot of the flotsam that get drawn to that place to take up or continue tai chi , on the beach ...

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 28 Feb 2014 at 11:38pm

@ southey

Different way of looking at it Southey, fair enof ....!, but still mate, no way should some peanut be flicking boards at people let alone chicks, yeah it wreckage washed up on a beach, but........?

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 28 Feb 2014 at 11:58pm

agree , flicking boards is not kosha .... but lets not make surfing " too cool " ....

blak's picture
blak's picture
blak Wednesday, 19 Mar 2014 at 11:32am

What is one to do if you move to a new city, where nobody knows you?
I stick my council rates notice under my car windscreen to no avail and still get "blow-in" screamed at me.
Perhaps I should get my old crew to write me a reference?

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Wednesday, 19 Mar 2014 at 4:44pm

Don't worry about it is what to do blak, just go and surf with the usual 'rules' in mind and I'm sure they will lose interest. The mrs and i move around a fair bit so am always a 'blow in' and I don't mind it, catch up with some blokes I know well for a surf every now and then but other than that I'm on my own, you quickly get to know the locals who don't mind a g'day or a chat, leave the others to it. Don't know where you are but some places are friendlier than others, the sunny coast has been great for example but still best to avoid the crowded spots at busy times. Anyway I don't really buy into the whole 'blow in' idea, we're all blow ins of some sort in my opinion.

KeepItLocal's picture
KeepItLocal's picture
KeepItLocal Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 1:04pm

Hey, have any of you experienced localism in the South West Vic area? I want to learn to surf and also want to investigate more about localism, (I am a film maker too) but am a bit scared of getting yelled at . I am a woman, not a strong surfer, just giving it a go. Where to begin?

Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 2:51pm

can i ask the same question about South Port - Port Noarlunga South / Seaford / Moana?

I am about to start surfing - i'm going with a big log - i just want to catch some easy waves and bob around in the water contemplating life and being away from phones and shit - i don't want waterbogans ruining my vibe just because i have been selfish enough to enter 'their water'

mind you everyone i have met has been awesome since i moved here - do they get all jeckyll and hyde once their crotch touches seawater? like those gremlins?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 2:51pm

KeepItLocal wrote:

Hey, have any of you experienced localism in the South West Vic area? I want to learn to surf and also want to investigate more about localism, (I am a film maker too) but am a bit scared of getting yelled at . I am a woman, not a strong surfer, just giving it a go. Where to begin?

You're a filmmaker? Take a camera to Port Campbell the next time Two Mile breaks and you'll meet the locals. They should have a few good stories too.

Trisso4's picture
Trisso4's picture
Trisso4 Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 3:07pm

No need to worry about harassment at these types of places, especially at popular beginner type waves, most people are fairly flexible and tolerant. It's the isolated advanced waves you can come across hostilities and crazies, especially places like Granites and Caves in SA. Usually these places attract mainstream social misfits.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 3:49pm
stunet wrote:

KeepItLocal wrote:

You're a filmmaker? Take a camera to Port Campbell the next time Two Mile breaks and you'll meet the locals. They should have a few good stories too.

You mentioned the unmentionable!! Shhhh!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 4:15pm

goofyfoot wrote:
stunet wrote:

KeepItLocal wrote:

You mentioned the unmentionable!! Shhhh!

Just wait till you see tomorrow's Wave of the Day!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 5:29pm

Southey get ready!

keegz's picture
keegz's picture
keegz Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 6:08pm

I'll be in PC on Friday lunch time for a small trip. Can't wait..

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 9:32pm

Your not really rattling my chain , you get blacklisted on your last trip Stu ?
Clickbaiting under different names again to try and get some traffic ........
K.I.L ...... I hear the best footage is from the water angle , pretty easy swim off the rocks . Best still head to Sandon Pt in NSW and tell em Stu Nettle sent you .....
Keegs i wouldn't bother taking your board .
gf , you wet that stick yet ?
Don't know why you ordered that when Mick is reasonably quiet ATM .
Uppy's little mate , passed through there today . Devil wind . :-(

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 10:03pm

Not yet mate its coming next week.
Nothing to do with him being busy or quiet, just wanted one. He was saying the other week he's had a busy winter, might have got quiet recently. He's been pumping out the boards on Instagram.
Been getting a few? I deleted fb so I lost your email

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 10:32pm

working flat out . ordered a board today . as soon as this job finishes I'm off somewhere tropical

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 11:26pm
wellymon wrote:

spent two great weeks camped in Turangi welly. Did the crossing and seen some humungous trout on a walk up the river one day. bit of a ledge above them as they hid in deep water near bank, i go the full monty, dive in trying to catch one in bare hands making Bear Grylls look like a Girl guide. Of course i missed, but did get my hands on and around it before it took off. Then turned and found a group of elderly ladies stopped on the path staring at me shivering intensely with the family jewels not worth 5 cents and one old girl said"you must be very hungry". yep, i'm a dickhead, but at that moment, i was more a vagina- that river is icy.