Localism

Trisso4's picture
Trisso4 started the topic in Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 7:26pm

I've been road tripping around Australia seeking some good surf spots at lesser known places. I've come across some really great waves with no crowds, but my experience has been tarnished by a handful of territorial locals who seem to have a different set of rules for visiting surfers or just don't like us there at all. My experiences have been encountered in surf spots with plenty of good waves and very few riders out.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not the type to show up at a surf spot and act like I own the place and disrespect general etiquette. But there seems to be an attitude from some locals that it's 'their wave' and locals get first preference of any wave and visitors just get the scraps.

To put things in perspective, if a group of tourist are passing through a town and queuing up to buy things at the local store, does a local have the right to push in line and get served ahead of the tourists? Disrespectful visitors/tourists is one thing, but it can also go hand in hand with local a-holes who think they own a public area of recreation.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 31 Dec 2013 at 9:23pm

Finally.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 1 Jan 2014 at 6:09am
blindboy wrote:

I was just going to check the surf coast forecast. 20 minutes later I'm wondering if I can still drink a skinny flat white in good conscience.

If you were wearing a black turtle neck with a Beatles hair cut whilst drinking it, you would have to go and live in Melbourne. You would have to join a group to go surfing as it is not environmentally friendly to own your own car and cheaper to suck up to others and bludge off them.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 1 Jan 2014 at 7:17am

amen

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Wednesday, 1 Jan 2014 at 10:46am

The Redneck has spoken

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 1 Jan 2014 at 1:03pm

Geeeez, some forum topics have a shelf life that will outlive religion!

Localism (greed) is as old as time. In my surfing life I can't think of one mate / individual that hasn't tried to snare a few above their quota, even when on boat trips with a few so-called "mates" in the line-up …. you know who you are shit heads. Geeez, sometimes "mates" are the worst that is why I prefer to surf by myself or with a few strangers.

If you want the world to change first change yourself.

It doesn't bother me as there are places I choose not to go like the Christmas function of the local Hells Angels chapter, same with the surf.

To me surfing is not about the out hassle and I'm just not interested in chest banging to snake a few extra waves in my life.

Besides, except for isolated desert waves is it really localism or just plan overcrowding?

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Wednesday, 1 Jan 2014 at 1:58pm
OC wrote:

I got nothin'

That's all you've ever had.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 1 Jan 2014 at 2:50pm

OC ,

Fatal mistake Son ........ NEVER say where your from .........
only where your Going .
Let people guess your path , and if you must ... collect stickers from other regions car yards or steal ( acquire ) an interstate number plate . Be openly vague and say eastside or use some far off Koori peoples' placename .....
key point is don't give up the game before it starts ... your opening verse kinda left you completely open ...
NOT unlike dropping the soap ( so to speak ) ...
now back to the Slaughter .... the colosseum awaits .

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 1 Jan 2014 at 7:47pm
OLD MATE wrote:

I love the swellnet forum, always something entertaining to read, unlike other forums that are heavily moderated and no fun. Could be a script for a reality show, a few jokes that people take too seriously,a bit of abuse towards eachother, a bashing here and a phuck off there and maybe a surf inbetween. We could all get together make a pilot show, send it to the stations and next thing you know we are rich and famous on sbs after fat pizza...

A great variety of human beings on here Old Mate, which could make a pretty hilarious skit thats
for sure :)
Welly from over there, somewhere near.

TGF how was your journey to Kazakhstan, would of been an awesome eye opener for real
Did you see the bear and his funny mate..? Hope you didn't bump into his No1 sister!

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Wednesday, 1 Jan 2014 at 9:10pm

A great variety of Homo sapiens, Wellymon, and one or two pre-modern types. Possibly Neanderthal. Definitely not human.

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Thursday, 2 Jan 2014 at 3:11pm
floyd wrote:

Geeeez, some forum topics have a shelf life that will outlive religion!

Localism (greed) is as old as time. In my surfing life I can't think of one mate / individual that hasn't tried to snare a few above their quota,
Besides, except for isolated desert waves is it really localism or just plan overcrowding?

Well said. I think that overcrowding is a problem far outweighing localism, However - there does seem to be a horrendous mix of the two at some places

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Thursday, 2 Jan 2014 at 3:31pm
stray-gator_2 wrote:

A great variety of Homo sapiens, Wellymon, and one or two pre-modern types. Possibly Neanderthal. Definitely not human.

Where is the "Like" button?

local's picture
local's picture
local Thursday, 2 Jan 2014 at 3:52pm
OC wrote:
stray-gator_2 wrote:

Its on Facebook, now get the fcuk back there

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Thursday, 2 Jan 2014 at 5:27pm
local wrote:
OC wrote:
stray-gator_2 wrote:

Its on Facebook, now get the fcuk back there

So much anger! Now, lets not get our nickers in a twist sister

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 12:19am

Rule 6, swellnet code of conduct; No personal attacks against other users. Make your point without making things personal or insulting other people, even people who don't visit this website (see Point 1).

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 12:24am

That probably won't get you any more respect ....... ????

OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE's picture
OLD MATE Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 1:00am

I'm going for the guiness world record for most bra's undone with one hand in one minute. It currently stands at 56 which is a big task but I have been training hard every day doing finger weights and lifting the bong cos u have to do something when ur unemployed. So hopefully soon u will see me standing next to Grant denyer with a medal round me neck and a new world record very soon.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 6:16am
OC wrote:

Rule 6, swellnet code of conduct; No personal attacks against other users. Make your point without making things personal or insulting other people, even people who don't visit this website (see Point 1).

Well your whole attitude is insulting to other people, so you better ban yourself. No one has attacked you yet and it can't be personal if you have given no personal information, keep trying your funny dweeb.

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 8:17am

the worst localism usually comes from your own surfing area.one day your learning in the shorey at YCW beach.a year later your shoulder hopping some of the better breaks around ,happy to get anything[including abuse]that comes your way.as you progress up the pecking order you devise a system of catching your share without being an arsehole.let's face if you don't get competitive your going to be on the shoulder for the rest of your life.when Right point is 6 ft. and 20 odd people out there's no rotation.it still can be good natured but at the end of the day you've got to get some waves. so here you are coming from interstate and you paddle into this and think jeez these guys think they own the joint.

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 8:37am
shaun wrote:
OC wrote:

Well your whole attitude is insulting to other people, so you better ban yourself. No one has attacked you yet and it can't be personal if you have given no personal information, keep trying your funny dweeb.

Shaun I think he was referring to the notorious "jellyfish brain" incident and to be fair OC has a point there, that sort of personal attack is just not on. From what I hear Zenagain has been in tears ever since and Morris is making his own inquiries to the internet police. OC can I ask if you are a masochist?

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 8:38am

Well said toneranger

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 8:45am

Yeah I don't know about Morris - I get a real double crossing vibe off him, or maybe an overt jockism - sado-jockism if you will, Kinda like sergeant Dokes off Dexter….
You ask if i'm a Masochist…hmmmmn, I'm not sure but I think I've just had to assume the role of the bad guy in this battle, or more been treated like a cheetah getting his kill stolen from a pack of greedy lions…

I don't really know anymore, what was the topic again???

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 10:53am
shaun wrote:

, keep trying your funny dweeb.

That's almost a real sentence Shuan, keep trying!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 11:35am

I wasn't crying silicun, I just got something caught in my eye.

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 11:41am

You have no credibility left OC. By your own admission in your fist two posts you dog people in the surf, pressuring guys on the shoulder and dropping in. Then you insist that you have never dropped in or snaked anybody in the surf. That was the first contradiction and the second when posters disagree with you and you start throwing around your weak insults......a page later you pull out rule 6 ??? What do you think caused the altercation in the water when you dropped in on the guy you were talking about? Maybe, just maybe its your stupid attitude that you need to compete for your quota of waves, maybe your the problem that perpetuates localism. You can compete in competitions, next time you go for a surf relax and enjoy it. Enjoy being out in a beautiful setting, enjoy the stoke of a good wave, enjoy the company of others out in the water. Its not about getting quota's, getting the most likes, trying to fit in. Suck it up kid and do little self reflection otherwise you'll continue to be treated like the dog that you have described yourself.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 12:07pm
OC wrote:
shaun wrote:

, keep trying your funny dweeb.

That's almost a real sentence Shuan, keep trying!

Sit, Stay.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 12:08pm

Good boy!!! :-)

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 4 Jan 2014 at 5:09am

Id say the important part and big difference of that is a slow paddle into the shoulder looking at the deeper guy, without fucking up the section snowballing or dropping in if he is really in. Even if looks not make able it might be, thats why he is going for it.
is different to frantic threat paddle to dog him out of it or end up dropping in without even knowing he is there or pinching it.
In good waves if a guy looks like he's not making it its ok to get ready to takeoff wider but not if you ruin any section,never look back at him or snowball or pinch the section down. Two completely different moves..One is a kook move the other is not.

One of the longest barrels i had someone almost dropped in, understandably as i got stuck in the lip on takeoff and was pretty deep, then bogged the drop with no speed. Hawaiians tryed dropping in down the line but i ended up flying through it highline with ridiculous speed and making through his snowball. for another 80+ meters of barrel. The Hawaiian after that said he owed me the next set.
I thought i fluked it and said nah i just got one, after saying that trying to be humble, all the aussies, hawaiians and everyone just became cunts dropping in on eachother etc.

If i had of been macho aggro about it i wonder if things would be different.
It seems like with some surfers you have to be tough, being kind can be seen as weakness.
Didnt bother me too much anyway they all disappeared when the tide went lower, perfect for people who can surf.

Local imo means knowing the reef, where each angled direction and size will break. nothing to do with greed. Also nothing to do with living nearby if you dont know the wave.
imo Tpai is our best local here and never acts like that kind of a cunt.

nebasha's picture
nebasha's picture
nebasha Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 11:05pm

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 10:37pm

nebasha's picture
nebasha's picture
nebasha Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 11:05pm

nebasha's picture
nebasha's picture
nebasha Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 11:06pm

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 11:28pm

I like eating Nashi

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 9:58pm

Hahahahahahaha, oh fuck, tell me that is not a real person, please!!!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 10:57pm

Nicely done.

nebasha's picture
nebasha's picture
nebasha Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 11:07pm

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 11:06pm

nebasha your a genius ... please don't tell me you outed a Friend ????

nebasha's picture
nebasha's picture
nebasha Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 11:09pm

Nah, Southey, my friends don't sit on the shoulder of a wave.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 11:15pm

didn't think so .... I could use your "skill" from time to time though .
, maybe if MitchVG was good enough to get out the " whiteout " then it could stay our little Joke ....
Its funny , Goofy outed me , by saying hello on Facebook ....
I presume you looked for comments on the SN page that echoed " fumblings " ....

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 4 Jan 2014 at 9:29am

oc which break are you going to tomorrow, centerside or fairhaven, I'll be looking out for you dudes.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 4 Jan 2014 at 12:47pm

there should be a new forum topic for you guys titled Dribble

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Saturday, 4 Jan 2014 at 1:42pm
shaun wrote:

oc which break are you going to tomorrow, centerside or fairhaven, I'll be looking out for you dudes.

sorry Shaun but if your expecting a reply from OC you should refer to him in the same manner as his boyfriends, I think its macdaddy ;)

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Saturday, 4 Jan 2014 at 3:18pm

Yes, I know of him. I have read his blog, very deep stuff.

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Saturday, 4 Jan 2014 at 5:44pm
silicun wrote:

next time you go for a surf relax and enjoy it. Enjoy being out in a beautiful setting, enjoy the stoke of a good wave, enjoy the company of others out in the water.

Isn't this the reason why we all surf in the first place? Even the notorious angry local doesn't go out just to yell insults at tourists - he's just frustrated because a classic spot has become crowded. In my initial story I described, the whole point - (which many seemed to miss) - was the fact that I had realised that I had become to behave in a way that was dictated by being previously surrounded by the same behaviour. A social conditioning if you will. The self-reflection has already been done.!The fact of the matter is that I didn't drop-in or snowball, yes I paddled hard and maybe intimidated a little - unconsciously. The whole point I was making was in the realisation of this. You can't judge somebody and make gross misconceptions based on a rather anonymous one-off post in a forum....

In the second account I told of how I was blatantly snaked, then proceeded to be told I was in the wrong - I felt as though I was being subjected to territorial-localism. So, If I was in the wrong in this instance - I would just admit it and say sorry, but instead of being drilled unfairly I held my ground and made it clear that I wasn't going to be harrassed and treated unfairly...he got it and we proceeded to then surf the same break peacefully for the next two hours....

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 4 Jan 2014 at 7:35pm

I agree with you there OC and feel some of us did bully you a bit, easy to become either an uptight local or an uptight blow in.
I think most of us just hate the most when you are in the spot, know the wave and surfed a spot for many years some kid or blow in doesnt look back at you in the bowl, and seems to be taking off no matter what.
Especially early 20''s kids or late teens or groms.
It can shit you as the reason they dont know you can make it is as they dont know the wave. This happens to me at aussie pipe and island sometimes from guys who have been surfing there for less than one year.
Too many heroes going for backflip, hit the lip or shitty unco moves and outrunning the barrel but get all greedy,
Can piss a guy off who surfs it at night by himself for hours, spent many years getting to know it and put up with as a grom SURFING SCRAPS all those years, then a grom comes along trying to get aggressive. BECAUSE HE DOESNT KNOW HOW TO EARN RESPECT OR GIVE RESPECT.
oh he's got a sponsor now, he can by pass all the learning and critical stages of the wave and get any wave he wants for some photos and a mag. Pffft.

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Saturday, 4 Jan 2014 at 9:24pm

Yeah Aussie Pipe, I surfed there recently and was happy to lay back and grab the smaller ones - actually got more waves that way, rather than pushing in for the set waves - the take off zone was so congested on the take off, but really only a handful of guys were judging them properly. I snapped a fin so went in and one of the local dudes offered to lend me his board, 20 mins later same guy was back in the line-up yelling at cunts- saying he was gonna key their cars n' shit!!! Went form nice guy to psychopath just like that!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 4 Jan 2014 at 9:55pm

You da man MACDADDY you da awesome bro.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 11:46am
OC wrote:

I am a Melbournian and I travel b/t 1 hr 15min - 1hr 30min twice a week to surf any of the 3 available coasts on offer in Vic so I do not consider myself a local at any of them. However I feel that once I have surfed a wave a lot and have come to know a surf spots nuances then I have earn't the right just as much as anybody else has to be there in the line up. And as a respectable surfer I will adhere to the general rules of surfing etiquette, and asside from a few bad eggs here n' there most surfers feel the same way...lets not cry over a bit of spilt milk when it comes to waves!!!
However, in today's desperate and anxious fight to get amongst it and get your fair share of good waves on offer one must step up to the plate and fight so it would seem... I was recently surfing with a friend of mine who I would consider a good surfer but more of your weekend warrior than a hardcore devotee...we were surfing a fun, peaky beach break and all the same once in the line-up I felt my competitive horns start to prick up and my game face on and ready....sure enough I put my name on a wave and paddled hard, knowing that there was a guy already paddling and in position, and seeing that he was looking good for it I still kept at the shoulder, ready and waiting for the first sign of the 'rightful owner' of that wave to make a mistake, but alas he didn't put a foot wrong and gloriously shot down the face as I pulled off the edge of the shoulder...and i'm thinking to myself "we'll done mate, I put the pressure on and you didn't let up!" I thought nothing of this as I've had it happen to me plenty of times before, especially at critical breaks wereby a split second mistake can leave you tumbling down the face and sometimes the guy on the shoulder paddling can be a part of that nerve wracking "don't fuck up" pressure that can make or break your performance!!!
So, soon after my little joust my weekend warrior friend paddled over to me and said "Man, I can't believe you nearly dogged that guy man, he was set up perfectly for that wave"...So this made me think...''Am I becoming a local?" Surely not? Is that a display of localism? No altercation followed and I feel that I was just doing what was required - If you wan't to get a high wave count at a crowded break then you simply need to be one of the guys working hard and not giving an inch...logical!
So this led me to think, perhaps localism is a perception in some ways, and maybe the idea of localism can be misconstrued through jealousy? I've had very many frustrating experiences with this in my early days of surfing and now that I am competent and confident, these frustrations are less and less...
Don't get me wrong here, i'm not advocating bad behaviour, just giving another point of veiw on the topic...

Another thing happened yesterday while I was surfing; I paddled hard to get out the back and be the guy out the back, ready for the next set wave - I had a fair bit of paddling to do and a guy in the lineup had worked out that he could snake in front, beat me to my feet and snaffle the wave, I then got to my feet-bottom turned then held my ground as he attempted to cut back into my line..... once the wave was over an altercation followed in where I was made out to be the unethical, unrespectable bad guy! So I was responded with a firm, clear "Go and fuck yourself" The guy whinged about me to his friend but we both continued to surf for the next hour w out altercations....perhaps it was just a bit of tension, but the point is we both thought that we were right and were both being hard done by, but in the end its just a wave and there were plenty more that followed....
So anyway, my advice to anyone feeling as though they are being localised ; stand your ground, be friendly but stand-up for yourself, if you truly believe that you have the right to be there then be there, if you are a newcomer respect the locals and fight for your right to get a slice!

OC I feel your pain, surfers like you and me we know the deal, I too get sick of these wankers who wait there turn and don't fight for a right to their slice, bad luck if when I look like I am going to drop in they just give up and get back in line, with blokes like that , that can't handle the pressure surfers like us can apply , we don't even have to get in line and nobody ever drops in on me , cause well... I'm always the furthermost out on the shoulder. Don't listen to your mate he's not had core like you and me, some might call him a hater, disregard anyone on this forum that is older and with more experience. What the fuck would they know except how to hate
You come down and surf with me oc and show me some of that don't fuck up pressure, You'll be a breath of fresh air.

OC's picture
OC's picture
OC Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 7:55pm

This is the code i live by most of the time at spots i dont surf often-

1- find an empty or uncrowded bank or reef nobody/not many have noticed
2-Too many out for incoming wave/crowd ratio- look else where
3- Respect locals. Even if your deep tell them "im waiting my turn" but not like your piss weak.
4-dont snowball or annoy other surfers paddling in front of them etc.
5-dont paddle for too many waves.
6- dont talk too much. lots of Aussies are friendly lots are angry too. Angry locals will get the shits quickly with tourists/blow ins talking too much.
7-if told to go one go it unless its a shit one.
8-cop it on the chin if told you're a kook blow in whatever. If you can, prove them wrong.

Ok,
I'll cop this on the chin, I did the wrong thing and i'm sorry if i've offended anyone on this forum. I realise that I still have much to learn. I respect that you guys have a deep and intimate knowledge and respect for the ocean. I am only human and will only continue to be, but I can strive to become a better one at that.

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 8:57pm

OC you dont need my respect as I dont consider myself above anybody but I do appreciate your attitude and words in this post, learning is life long for those with a little humility and something to treasure.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 6 Jan 2014 at 10:29pm