The 10 best waves in the world???

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Saturday, 8 Oct 2016 at 3:50pm

And are most of the best waves in the world lefts?

Sorry if has been done before, i ripped of this topic from another site, but thought it was an interesting topic.

So what do people think the best waves in the world are?.

(In no particular order)

1. Old Kirra
2. Desert point
3. G-Land
4. Skelton bay (One of those
5. Tavaru (cheating here, Cloudbreak and Restaurants)
4. Riffles (IMO best right in the world now)
5. Supersuck
6. HT's (It was either HT's or Nias, Nias is great but it's just too short, not that HT's is much longer)
7. Pipe
8.J-Bay
9. Purto escondido (need to throw in a beachie)
10. Spot X

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 31 Oct 2016 at 2:39pm

Stoked to hear you're back in the game Stu.

Tried to empathise on the other thread but the site kept rejecting my posts,...its bad enough a human should reject them , but a computer !

Good to see you easing yourself into it - 5 surfs in 2 days. Floodgates are open.

That's my reminiscing done, back to the reality of digging holes in clay . Only another 80 tubestock to get in today.

Yeeewwwwww.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 31 Oct 2016 at 3:18pm

Cheers Blowin.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Monday, 31 Oct 2016 at 6:15pm

Think I gotta get out more.......
Been to indo a few times and done some road trips, some good memories - then I read some of these lists..

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Friday, 4 Nov 2016 at 5:34pm

I have never been to indo! I should have gone years ago as all those hotels and people over there now - well that just wont do for me.
I agree with the dude saying that the best waves are those special days you get - usually at a place that you know. You get in tune with the right conditions and then that day comes where you check it, there is no one around and you get it to yourself or with a couple of others for hours. Until the last couple of years, believe it or not this was how I got kirra. In March of 2013 I had 22 consecutive days of chest to overhead perfect offshore conditions with the largest crew in the water of about 20 out the back, most days 8-10 people or less. Its become a quagmire of maladjusted freaks and backpacking dropkicks the last two years. Nothing that a "fck off I'm going" doesn't fix though.

So best waves for moi that I have surfed: Woolamai ( in my view craps on most other locations most often ) 4 - 6 feet incoming tide NE wind Jan through March.
Head injuries at the schank through to the inside
Quarantine
Winky
Pipe
Kirra,
Rincon - USA
Big Rock - San diego
Peurto Esco
Some along Baha pen
And of course loads of crackers in the land of Asahi super dry -500ml can x 6 plus a bag of peanuts mixed with dried fish please.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Nov 2016 at 5:55pm

Ewwwww.... Peanuts?

We scored a lovely river mouth yesterday, just a mate and I. Offshore, head high and nice tubing end section. Quite chuffed actually. Maybe you been there Stu? I'll name it cause no-one who hasn't been here would know it anyway.

Isohara- right beside the onsen that was washed away in the tsunami. Do you know it?

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Friday, 4 Nov 2016 at 9:08pm

Zena! I know that joint. Feck me there are some special waves over there.

If you ever think of heading down to the southern islands between Honshu and Okinawa let me know I will send you pics and a guide.

photobucket is down otherwise I would post a few gems. maybe later.

Up where you are is gold. You have the complete strip down to the iba/chiba border before it gets busy and all the way up!

I have a house at Inamuragasaki if you know where that is. Next time I'm over you will be welcome to pop on down.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Nov 2016 at 9:31pm

We are blessed Stu (at times) but we're slowly getting swallowed by cement.

Cheers for the offer.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 4 Nov 2016 at 9:34pm

Hi zen, we will be back down south in April. No plans to head up your way but looking forward to investigating some new territory. My top ten?

1. Desert Point
2. Old Kirra
3. Honolulu Bay.
4. Padang
5. Sunset
6. Outside Corner
7. Rifles
8. Lennox
9. Angourie
10. Dee Why Point

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 4 Nov 2016 at 10:30pm

Long left , dangerous end Section
Longer left dry corner
Unmakable right
Remote Boat left
Remote easy /heavy picture perfect right
Faraway natural groyne sand bottom right
No name Creek /river mouth with bonus cottage left and right
Indicator for an island peak -right grower
The chief said I could surf there on a Sunday- left
The left beyond the train station next to the boneyard

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 4 Nov 2016 at 10:48pm

BB, if you ever get up this way, get my email from Craig. Likewise for snowboarding- I know some spots.

Are we talking top ten waves personally surfed now or just want to surf? I've never been to Indo or Hawaiii or even WA so if the former, my list would be pretty lame compared to others.

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 6:02am

No need to be so specific southy

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 7:09am

1.Point Leo
2.Fishos Torquay
3. Point Impossible
4.Pines
5.Shellies Beach
6.Small Lorne Point
7.Inverloch main beach
8.Crunchy Point
9.Suicides
10.Small Bells

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 11:34am

Yep Hako .

I'll give anyone ( well maybe not one or two individuals ) .
$1000 if they can pick 7 of my 10 correctly .
If someone knows the " sensitive ones " just email it to Craig , Ben and Stu to forward to me .
Edit : I'm a sporting kind of guy make it 5 !

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 11:31am

Point impossible?????? Soft and fat - same as thee?

Pines? Feck me you must be a wrongboarder.

Lorne point? wahahahhahahhaha

Fishos?

Why not just choose a bayside beach mate?

What a gay selection! homophobic or just happy? Take your pick lefties!

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 11:35am

I'm impressed he went with " Small " Lorne Point as opposed to Vera Lyn .
No mention of the Creek though !

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 12:19pm

@southy, you're on.
I'll text you

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 12:48pm

Gary will have a go, Southey:

1: Gary's
2: Gary's Left
3: Gary's Right
4: Guarantines
5: Gary's
6: Garra
7: Gary's inlet
8: Gary's grower
9: Gary's
10: G Trains

Gary will accept payment in $1000 of protein bars or whey powder.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 1:15pm

Didn't want to mention secrets Southey.

Discostu most people don't consider themselves left or right they consider each issue on their merit. Lefties is a slogan used by the newscorp media types to stifle anyone who disagrees with the agenda they are pushing.

Back on subject whats wrong with long boarding Stu see many great map riders who surf them better than some of the pretenders on short boards as for the waves by far the best waves in Vic I'm about to surf one of my favourites now. Just need to decide Old single fin, mccoy or the SUP

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 1:19pm

BTW Discostu theres some people who like to talk about where they once surfed as some sort of vindication then theres others who are happy to just go surfing without the need to talk it up or disregard others due to their board choice or ability. Somehow I think you fit the former.

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 1:44pm

Southey knows his spots! What about that beautiful righthand reef on the way to lorne mate!

Wharfie, as I said elsewhere. Losers hate people who discriminate. What idiot cant ride a mal, what dropkick cant ride a SUP.

I don't call riding mals or SUPs surfing for a start, so yeah, put me in the group that reckons you and your brethren are a blight on the ocean.

What is it with you guys and the dislike of other's opinions? Need people to conform to some kind of groupthink? I think that is just dire. Aussies my arse.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 2:51pm

Garry's groin? anyone

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 2:57pm

or is it groyne ,and how sensitive you all are

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 4:21pm

Gary can't believe he let that opportunity pass him by :(

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 4:57pm

without the internet, it could have been kept a secret spot

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 6:19pm

"Gary can't believe he let that opportunity pass him by :("

Neither can I. Gaz, you need to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 6:37pm

Have you been sitting on that line , waiting for an opening ?

Cause it's a beauty.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 6:46pm

Easy done, Stu. Gary is doing it right now.

Gary looks best in the mirror when he's long and hard.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 5 Nov 2016 at 8:00pm

Gaz .....

Since i'm not certain of what year you were developed . ( Someone that perfect simply couldn't be natural ) , then i can't be certain that you didn't bequeath your name to these great places prior to their known names , be it Geographical or folklore .

Then i can only answer numbers 4 , 6 , 7, 8 & 10 are wrong .......... No Protein for your massive self .
I will suggest that Gary's Groin is open to public viewing and Wunna Surf has a full 8 Page spread on it . Although a few of the images i'm sure they showed too much of Gary's Inlet .
And those winter shots showed little Potential for Gary's Grower . Surprisingly for its lattitude and often airborne chilly temps' the water is quite warm at Gary's Grower .

So even though the image was quite shrunken in size I'm reasonably certain it was an Image of Gary actually surfing ( faceys no less ) on his own wave . Mirrors must have been getting cleaned that day !
The last thing i'll note is Gaz , you need to stop staring into Mirrors so much . Your starting to get your left and rights mixed up . !

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Sunday, 6 Nov 2016 at 7:12am

"Southey knows his spots! What about that beautiful righthand reef on the way to lorne mate!

Wharfie, as I said elsewhere. Losers hate people who discriminate. What idiot cant ride a mal, what dropkick cant ride a SUP.

I don't call riding mals or SUPs surfing for a start, so yeah, put me in the group that reckons you and your brethren are a blight on the ocean.

What is it with you guys and the dislike of other's opinions? Need people to conform to some kind of groupthink? I think that is just dire. Aussies my arse."

No one dislikes other peoples opinions Discostu it's when opinions become a way of putting ones self over others that it becomes an issue. Theres no groupthink here most people dislike self absorbed flogs.

As for Mals or Sups they have their spot in the line up mate a lot of SUP and Mal riders surf them better than short board riders then surf short boards better than most to its the right board for the condition.

Disco on the top of your list you named Woolamai on your list great Mal/SUP wave on its day but usually not the best wave in the area in the conditions you specified plenty of other better waves to choose from if you know where your looking. But who knows you might be talking 4-6ft faces and not 4-6ft waves.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Sunday, 6 Nov 2016 at 7:23am

Garry's Buff?

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Sunday, 6 Nov 2016 at 7:27am

or is that Bluff, the guy needs help southey, get yourself down on the street,that whey powder can't be that hard to source

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Sunday, 6 Nov 2016 at 12:45pm

Fair cop, Southey.
Gary spends so much time trying to determine which is his best side, he often gets left and right mixed up.

sluggoes's picture
sluggoes's picture
sluggoes Sunday, 6 Nov 2016 at 3:08pm

Your Garyness should take the Mad Hueys to these spots for some fun:

Supersuck
Backdoor
Big Groyne
Little Groyne
Blowholes
Uppers
Lowers
Long Point
Crumpets
Delicate Nobby

Maybe some more benefits at The Wedge, The Spit and Sproggies.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Sunday, 6 Nov 2016 at 5:56pm

The G-spot must've been a bit 'sensitive' to mention here too, Gaz?
A lot of us still haven't found it.

thedrip's picture
thedrip's picture
thedrip Sunday, 6 Nov 2016 at 7:26pm

Disostu, anyone can ride a longboard (badly) just as anyone can ride a shortboard badly. I ride shortboards, longboards, fun boards, and guns. Depends on wave quality, size, crowds. Presently awaiting a 9'6" and 8' gun. They are meant to cover 6-10' surf. I'll think of you on the 8' day as I stroke into another set wave past the gumby flailing around on the inside on his 6'6" step up and I will feel like a lesser man for being on a bigger board.

Of course, getting lots of waves will help the smile make up for the guilt and self-flagellation.

Anyway, back on topic:

In no particular order, Snapper, JBay, Sunset, Gland, Tavarua (lol - another double dip), a certain left in southOz, a certain left in WestOz, Pipe, Deserts, Mexican right points, a little known right in south WestOz that I have never seen a photo of.

Unfortunately, five of those waves are still on the bucket list, and 3 of them are probably beyond me. Maybe four.

Maybe a top ten of waves I can actually surf would be good too.

discostu's picture
discostu's picture
discostu Monday, 7 Nov 2016 at 11:49am

err drippy, I have my own view. And nah, it isn't the same as yours. Glad you know your place lesser man.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 7 Nov 2016 at 1:19pm

the drip I don't think disco no clue even surfs mate.

waxyfeet's picture
waxyfeet's picture
waxyfeet Monday, 14 Nov 2016 at 3:45pm
Blowin wrote:

With the absence of crowds I would trade my right nut to surf -

Jbay often has very little crowds.
Taken form yesterday: https://instagram.com/p/BMwanylDCbg/

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 14 Nov 2016 at 3:51pm

A mate just returned from three months at J'Bay and said crowds were never an issue.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 14 Nov 2016 at 4:03pm

disco is actually a chatbot

waxyfeet's picture
waxyfeet's picture
waxyfeet Monday, 14 Nov 2016 at 5:10pm

It's been a particularly good year in Jbay too, my parents kept on sending me pics! (I'm originally from lower point, about 1km down the road from supertubes)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 14 Nov 2016 at 6:07pm

Lucky bastard. That's sorta where my mate was staying. He works for Christian Surfers and the new international office is there. Already booked in his 'work trip' for next year.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 14 Nov 2016 at 9:07pm

Works for Christian surfers at their new international office.

Your tax dollar at work Australia.

waxyfeet's picture
waxyfeet's picture
waxyfeet Monday, 14 Nov 2016 at 9:09pm

Haha, that's quite funny. When I surfed / partied there in the 90's, dudes wanted to punch your lights out for no particular reason / made up reasons.. nowadays, every other guy wants you to join their church :p

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 14 Nov 2016 at 9:32pm

@Blowin

Australian tax dollars? It's an international organisation.

Meanwhile, their Australian office is here in Australia (I know because I sub-let office space from them)

...you do overshoot the mark sometimes.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 14 Nov 2016 at 9:59pm

Christianity in Australia - the local franchise of the global corporation - is subsidised by the Australian public through tax breaks .

Local franchise contributes funds to head office of international organisation.

Australian taxpayers that have zero interest in this cult are contributing to their little fun time play house at Jefferies.

I might not be able to pinpoint who is paying for what, but I can pinpoint where some of the money is coming from.....me.

And you.

Church should be able to receive tax breaks in Australia for the arm of the cult that is active in charity work only.

The entire tax subsidisation to support religion for the sake of indulging peoples faith based beliefs should be dismantled.

Over reach ?

Probably.

I just Hate the church.

And they don't get anywhere near the barbs they deserve.

Apologies for the location of these comments.

Hako o hakonde ... Tuesday, 15 Nov 2016 at 7:24am

I know a few christian surfers at J/bay and they make it obvious that "thou shalt not drop in" is not a commandmant.

mick63's picture
mick63's picture
mick63 Tuesday, 15 Nov 2016 at 7:15am

No need to apologise Blowin, you nailed it in one. The worlds most successful franchise.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Tuesday, 15 Nov 2016 at 7:53am

Crowds were never a problem when I surfed J Bay...I thinks its just the length of the wave and the number of sections you can surf...it feels like taking of at Bells Centerside and ending up at Winki lowers.....

Hako o hakonde ... Tuesday, 15 Nov 2016 at 11:52am

To surf the full length of J/bay you would need to get past impossibles, if it's big enough to do that then it is breaking wide and is a pretty average fat wave after that, to go from supers down to bottom of the point is more of a novelty, the first half is fast and your going for speed and the rest is cutbacks and trying to keep on the wave, but if you remember constantly surfing the whole point good on you, my memory is everyone surfed supers, ants to the honey.