Shark situation northern NSW

kbomb's picture
kbomb started the topic in Friday, 23 Sep 2016 at 9:15pm

What's happening up there?

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Wednesday, 7 Jul 2021 at 9:43pm

When it comes to scanning the lineup for Noahs I find the 'CopterPack' pretty handy.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 7 Jul 2021 at 9:58pm

@tubeshooter , wont be long and those copter packs will be doing tow ins , imagine the shit fight carnage in the air .

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 8 Jul 2021 at 7:01am

too bad if a strong wind change came thru

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 12 Jul 2021 at 6:12pm

https://fb.me/e/R6Aiwzai. Shark culling webinar Wednesday 14th July

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 12 Jul 2021 at 7:32pm

Just to clarify: its an Anti-shark culling webinar.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 12 Jul 2021 at 7:35pm

@freeride , could be interesting though and you can put your questions to the panel.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 13 Jul 2021 at 7:26pm

yeah I'll check it out.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Wednesday, 21 Jul 2021 at 1:37pm

I came across this quote today on the ABC news site:

"Numerous studies have shown fish will rapidly change their behaviour following exposure to what we would regard as a painful experience. And anecdotally, anglers have reported needing to alter their fishing methods — using finer line and well-disguised hooks — in heavily fished areas."

A fish or shark population can be taught caution.

This gives scope for non-lethal deterrents.

Perhaps hundreds of dummy surfers could be moored along the various coasts along migratory routes and congregation areas with strategically placed non barbed spikes set in the limbs of a sturdy dummy structure so that attacks or exploratory bites give a painful experience to sharks. They would be mobile and relatively low maintenance if designed correctly.

Surf Life Saving clubs scattered up and down the coast could have a few that they set up routinely well out the back (say about 400 metres out) for a few days at a time when the forecast is for smaller swells (to avoid a storm sweeping them away).

Tagged sharks behaviour patterns could be monitored to track their effectiveness. It would be an interesting scientific project that might actually work.

At the moment the growing Great White population has shifted from being cautious to more confident around humans and boats due to their protected status.

A well known trait of concern in wolves, tigers and bears that correlates with attacks is when they lose their fear of humans. That is exactly what has happened with many Great Whites borne in recent decades.

How about that idea "scientists"? Or is it too practical and might involve leaving your desks?

wax24's picture
wax24's picture
wax24 Wednesday, 21 Jul 2021 at 5:23pm

Frog- no scientist here, but i like your idea. That and banning these shark diving experiences. They are doing the polar opposite of what you're gettin at.

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Wednesday, 21 Jul 2021 at 5:28pm

Come on, you can't park blower in a hundred places at once!