Late season Hawaii

staitey's picture
staitey started the topic in Thursday, 26 May 2016 at 11:40am

G'day all. Have finally taken the plunge and have booked to go to the North Shore for late season (early March) 2017. Its a place I've always admired from afar and thought I'd always like to go there once. Was wondering if anyone had any good stories of adventure, misadventure, great waves, tips, etc………….obviously we've all read a lot about the place but from people I've spoken to the North Shore (or other islands) seems to evoke something in them that probably has to be experienced to understand. Anyone go this year?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 26 May 2016 at 2:09pm

Great time of the year.. crowds are down and there's still plenty of waves. Had a great trip there this past March.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Thursday, 26 May 2016 at 4:25pm
thermalben wrote:

Great time of the year.. crowds are down and there's still plenty of waves. Had a great trip there this past March.

What waves do you enjoy most there?

yawhat's picture
yawhat's picture
yawhat Thursday, 26 May 2016 at 11:38pm

I had 11 days on the North Shore at the start of April this year. Got some pretty amazing waves and the whole coast blew my mind. You cant beat late season for crowds. The worst I had it over the 2 weeks was about 20 blokes at 4-6 foot backdoor/pipe. Managed to have a fair few sessions at other big name spots with only 3-5 other crew in the water

Advice is bring your bigger boards, even when the surf isn't huge you will still need it. I ended up surfing my 6.4 step up most sessions but still felt under gunned.

Place is seriously amazing and beautiful though. Get a bike, you don't need a car. Just riding around and checking the waves and how much the size can vary on the 5km stretch is mind blowing. Loads of great hikes to explore the coast around the North shore which are easy to find and do. Well worth it if the waves are out of your league.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Friday, 27 May 2016 at 11:26am

Sounds epic yawhat. I was actually thinking of bringing a couple of my board but heading to Haleiwa or something and getting a locally made second hand board, something bigger like you say so as not to be too under gunned. Crowd situation sounded amazing mate.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 27 May 2016 at 11:35am
staitey wrote:

Sounds epic yawhat. I was actually thinking of bringing a couple of my board but heading to Haleiwa or something and getting a locally made second hand board, something bigger like you say so as not to be too under gunned. Crowd situation sounded amazing mate.

There's heaps of second hand good quality guns over there. Plenty of people selling them for reasonable prices