Your favourite surf leash

barrelinchorizo's picture
barrelinchorizo started the topic in Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 11:40am

Whats your favourite surf leash and why? -> this was the intended question

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 12:59pm

The politics behind each legrope? Care to elaborate on that?

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 1:03pm

Hmm, maybe if you put it on your left leg you are deemed to lean to the left in politics and conversely your right leg to the right. Not sure if your in the middle somewhere.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 2:29pm

The swellnet leggies of course .....shame there no longer available...have one a few years old and still going strong.
Yorkesurfer how are your two going ?

Surf aids Byron Bay claim to make theres at Byron ..anyone use them ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 2:25pm

We've still got a few Swellnet leggies around Udo.. mine are going strong too! Haven't snapped one yet, and they've taken a punishing.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 2:30pm

How do I buy another ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 2:53pm

We'll whack them on eBay soon. I'll let you know when we do.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 3:03pm

My favourite leggie is the one that doesn't break when I need it the most.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 3:20pm

What do you pay in $Aud for a leggie in Japan Zen ?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 3:40pm

About $40 for an FCS or Creatures. Bit less for a Dakine.

What's a leggy go for back home?

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 3:57pm

@udo-my Swellnet legropes haven't broken yet though I've noticed the velcro on one is losing its bite a little so I put it on my small wave board. It's over 3 years old so that's to be expected. I haven't snapped a legrope in years but I've had them pull off my leg by the velcro releasing so once it feels a little too easy to pull apart I just bin them.

I bought a Ripcurl leggie to replace it a few months ago. It looks well made but it's always a bit of a gamble with legropes? I don't really like the idea of swimming around in the Southern Ocean if I lose my board on a big day!

Seems like some brands that were considered really good aren't so good these days? I always rated Ocean and Earth but a few years ago the local surf shop had a bad batch and many locals were snapping legropes and swimming in to find their boards wrecked on the rocks?

Will be good to hear what brands some of you guys recommend these days?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 6:48pm

Every brand has been failing miserably during the past few years , its a bit of a bugga to be 2 km out to sea & having to swim around lost , tzotal failure , just observing all the guys that have to swim etc . its has to be a gimmick , cheapest price wins & cheap n nasty product

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 8:44pm

Even the DaKine leashes caml? Thought they were jaws tested?

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Wednesday, 20 Apr 2016 at 11:04pm

Been using Surfaids for quite a few years. They seem really good to me. Used them in some solid stuff in Indo. Never snapped one. They'll do you a custom thickness or length if that's your thing.

udo wrote:

The swellnet leggies of course .....shame there no longer available...have one a few years old and still going strong.
Yorkesurfer how are your two going ?

Surf aids Byron Bay claim to make theres at Byron ..anyone use them ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:13am

Yes ppills the dakine velcro come undone immediately , rail saver end . Same with o & e worlds strongest leggy but the rail saver velcro is shit & your swimming immediately

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:15am

A legrope is only as strong as the weakest link . Same goes for bad batches of dakines balins or creatures etc if they do a shit batch its pretty hard to win the customer back isnt it

barrelinchorizo Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:16am

So besides durability is that what you take into account? How about like style and stuff? Theres like a bunch of super fancy once. I saw them Gorillaz leggies and look all hip and stuff

barrelinchorizo Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:17am

I don't know how to english sorry for spelling mistakes in last post

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:27am

Sorry not know how I what answer what question is

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:30am

Haha Cam, giving me a headache with that last piss-take post!

barrelinchorizo Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:33am

So, would you choose a leggie based on anything else besides durability? How do you become loyal to that leggie? Is it from word of mouth or trial and error?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:33am
caml wrote:

Yes ppills the dakine velcro come undone immediately , rail saver end . Same with o & e worlds strongest leggy but the rail saver velcro is shit & your swimming immediately

Caml I thought you said you didn't use rail savers due to drag

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:37am

Heh, barrel maybe just go on price. Even good ones can fail. Sounds like you are not into 10' plus. So go for a longer leash.

barrelinchorizo Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:45am

You mean paddling out on a 10 feet plus day? Yeah no... Just for your 1 to 6 foot day

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:50am

30 mins later your iinglish improved

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 8:51am
udo wrote:
caml wrote:

I did discuss this topic at times udo , basically was saying if you want to go faster & have less drag especially in pro / comp surfing a railsaver is unnecessary . There has been often times when I didn't use one . But the waves I surf nowadays there isnt a good reason to eliminate the railsaver . Yoy could go back to the original thread an read it to clarify my comments & im sure u work it out udos

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 9:04am

No need to go back to the original thread ...I remember what you wrote and what I read.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 9:12am

Well your not taking enough notice mate memory loss there . thinking that I never use railsavers hey udo ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 9:23am

since 1998 you said-- if it was a fast wave you never use a railsaver ....
Anyway im surprised the Japs haven't come with a better legrope.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 9:39am

Nit picking udo ! Who cares , you need to be on websleuths website . I went without rail savers for FAST waves . Meaning waves like one palm , desert pt , gnarloo , etc .
I never said the japs line either .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 9:41am

The jap line was mine.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 9:41am
udo wrote:
caml wrote:

Doesnt mean that other ppl arent swimming because of these legropes that I observed fail even if it was me or someone else im just reporting true info

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 21 Apr 2016 at 9:44am
udo wrote:

The jap line was mine.

Thank you .

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Friday, 22 Apr 2016 at 1:05pm

Quality wise I think all leggies are the same. That's 2-6ft surf mind you. Go FK, they're cheap

What I have noticed is that leggies seem to stretch a lot quicker nowadays. Result is waiting more for the board to stop tombstoning in the foam

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 22 Apr 2016 at 1:57pm

Theres a bunch of cheap ass plastic crap leggys then theres a few brands trying to make a better product . The cheap ass crap will break guaranteed !

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 22 Apr 2016 at 2:05pm

There's been talk of Slater Designs releasing a legrope made from woven kevlar fibre, with tests showing a thinner cord can take way more weight. Was displayed at a trade show in the US during January but I can't find anymore on it.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 22 Apr 2016 at 2:08pm

Wonder what the RRP on that will be?

barrelinchorizo Friday, 22 Apr 2016 at 2:30pm

@stunet. That's pretty cool, what trade show is this?

Distracted's picture
Distracted's picture
Distracted Friday, 22 Apr 2016 at 3:41pm

Thinner isn't always better.
I had a skinny high performance leash and it got wrapped around my big toe and almost pulled it off. So went back to the slightly thicker / stiffer leashes. If the kevlar one has some stiffness the wrapping may not be such an issue.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 22 Apr 2016 at 3:51pm

barrelinchorizo wrote:

@stunet. That's pretty cool, what trade show is this?

It was at Surf Expo in California held in January.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 22 Apr 2016 at 5:39pm

Transworld Bussiness have a little bit on Kellys Kevlar PU coated legropes.
Custom Kevlar rope with PU outer shell - a 4.5 mm one of these took 2.5 more times the load to break than a standard 6.5mm one.

barrelinchorizo Saturday, 23 Apr 2016 at 1:02pm

Found it. People are doing some seriously sick stuff

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 23 Apr 2016 at 6:54pm

Less drag more speed

Two words's picture
Two words's picture
Two words Saturday, 23 Apr 2016 at 10:52pm
zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 23 Apr 2016 at 10:59pm

Hope their leggies are better than their winter gloves.

Shitty, one season max. Never again.

Two words's picture
Two words's picture
Two words Saturday, 23 Apr 2016 at 11:03pm

Interesting. I wore a wetty pretty much daily, standard was 3 hour sessions, often multiple surfs a day for several years, in harsh conditions. Never worn the gloves though.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 23 Apr 2016 at 11:34pm

Never worn their wetties, might be a different story. 5 mil gloves came apart at the seams on the palms of both hands within one season. Shame too because they were really warm at first.

Actually, while we're talking about leggies, standard Creatures leggies been serving me well for the last 10 years or so. I find the velcro wears out before I snap one. To be honest, haven't snapped a leggie in years. Last 2 leggies that actually snapped on me were both FCS. But I have a pair of 5 mil FCS booties going strong 3 seasons in. Go figure.

Bloody surf gear can be so hit and miss at times.

Two words's picture
Two words's picture
Two words Sunday, 24 Apr 2016 at 12:23am

Yeh, the stuff changes every year or so too. From experience, the big companies are always looking for a way to cut costs. Every few cents counts. Even with the exchange rate, I still get Hotline wetties though, and have for a long time. Its true, individual companies, some things are good, some are shit. O'neill had top cold water booties at one stage, tropical ones too, then they changed the models, the new ones are shit.

Agree with the Creatures of Leisure leggies, this model anyway.

https://www.surfstitch.com/product/creatures-of-leisure-teahupoo-8%60-le...

I've used these in some extreme conditions, and have never broken one. Still use them. Sometimes they crack in the molding at the swivel end, but I've always noticed it before they broke.

I just tried some different leggies, those new Ocean and Earth no swivel things with the rail saver string threading tool attached. They got tested in pretty big, raw open ocean surf, friends swore they were unbreakable. They were in a way, but first big test stretched to 1/4 the thickness, and 3 times the length. Useless. Lucky I had my old ones with me. The Mavericks guys are probably the best to talk to re whether or not the Hotline leggies are any good.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 24 Apr 2016 at 8:40am

No pics anywhere of the Slater Kevlar legrope....I guess it would have gone thru the U.S. patent system ...
Agent Brokensha ?

HeavyMetal's picture
HeavyMetal's picture
HeavyMetal Friday, 20 May 2016 at 5:21pm

O&E historic re-issue... just for pure nostalgia purposes