Surf Camp Indonesia in October

CDDT's picture
CDDT started the topic in Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 11:21am

I'm looking to book a surf camp for my husband and son for the last 2 weeks in October. They are both competent surfers and enjoy 4 -6 foot waves. I have been looking at the surfindo package at West Sumbawa and also Awera Island in Mentawis. Has anyone had any experience at either of these or any suggestions on somewhere else to look at for this time of year?
Cheers

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 22 Feb 2016 at 9:56am

October at Lakey Peak is a good month the peak crowds have eased by then.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Monday, 22 Feb 2016 at 12:07pm

Check -http://www.surfsimeulue.com
october should be a good time there is a nice peak out front
easy to get to fly 1 hr from Medan

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Friday, 26 Feb 2016 at 10:27pm

Aura surf resort on Simulue is the best camp there, I've stayed quite a few times, October is consistent. Also I've heard Asu surf camp is good . Pretty easy to get to from Nias. A good wave right out the front.

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Saturday, 27 Feb 2016 at 4:27pm

No beer at Aura sharia law - not for me.

CDDT's picture
CDDT's picture
CDDT Saturday, 27 Feb 2016 at 4:40pm

Ahhhh!!! No alcohol would be a problem!!!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 27 Feb 2016 at 6:30pm

Not a big drinker myself......... but fuck always sink half doz binnies a day when on holiday in Indo be dirty if I got there and found out no beers....!

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 8:51pm

I wouldn't say there's no beer on Simeulue.

JK8's picture
JK8's picture
JK8 Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 2:11pm

I stayed at Awera in October a few years ago. It was great, more of a homely feel than surf camp. At that time there were no other people or buildings on the island so it was really quite. The guide is pretty cool and we scored mostly uncrowded waves and he had the Binnies on ice for us all the time!. The fresh home cooked meals were delicious too. Telescopes and Scarecrows draws in a few when they fire and rightly so as they are world class waves.
If they want a low key holiday were all they want to do is surf, Awera would fit the bill.

bluebottlesting's picture
bluebottlesting's picture
bluebottlesting Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 4:54pm
Robin Masters wrote:

So whats the go? if stay at the camps in Simeulue can you get a bintang, I asked one of the camps about it but no reply to that questions.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 5:30pm

Thought the no beer was was Aura resort only ?

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 5:49pm

There is beer on Simeulue he say's his guide was getting the coldies for them. Would not ruffle any feathers trying to open and run a resort eh JK8.

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 6:07pm
bluebottlesting wrote:
Robin Masters wrote:

So whats the go? if stay at the camps in Simeulue can you get a bintang, I asked one of the camps about it but no reply to that questions.

If I was you I'd stay at aura or at Ranu s surf camp down at Dylan's. You'll be happy there. aura is the best one.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 10:55am

Was on the Island a month ago
There is No beer being served at any resort - they don't fancy being raided by the police and copping a fine - just like Aura did
Dylans area is gonna be mucked up big time by the mass of new cabins ( NZ owned I am told) s crowding the point) lovely area but

Yes Aura is the best quality resort in the area- also 3 times the price of Casarina next door

CDDT's picture
CDDT's picture
CDDT Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 1:52pm

They definitely want beer! Maybe they need to look at Lakey Peak area in West Smbawa

CDDT's picture
CDDT's picture
CDDT Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 1:52pm

They definitely want beer! Maybe they need to look at Lakey Peak area in West Smbawa

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 1:55pm

geee CDDT your really committed to his goals ....
if anything ever goes foul with you two , give us a bell .
if only my wife was so encouraging , or are you trying to get rid of him ?!?!?
if so they love beer and nudity in aceh .

CDDT's picture
CDDT's picture
CDDT Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 2:08pm

Ha! Good one Southey,
Now everyone will know I'm trying to rid of him! I just received his life insurance policy in the mail!
But seriously, they've been talking about it for years, and being blokes, never actually do anything! So, I will research, and book!
Then I'll have a girls week while he's away!

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Friday, 4 Mar 2016 at 4:43pm

okay i'll forward my address to the swellnet boys and you can name your poison !?

ssssshh's picture
ssssshh's picture
ssssshh Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 8:42pm

Simuelue is nice but I do enjoy a beer and when I was there last June "special tea" was very hard to come by and the raids are becoming more common. A friend of a friend was at Aura two weeks back and it was dry. Surf was quite good but October would run the risk of not getting much swell and this island needs heaps.