blindboy started the topic in Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 8:32am

Yes it's true

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 8:33am
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 8:57am

We know many leading clothing manufactures do this, as the article states. It's very disappointing that Rip Curl is tagged with this. Geez, the days have changed when we used to go down to Torquay in winter and help sow wetsuits and surf the local breaks.
This is a world wide problem - the strive to get a lower price in virtually all areas of manufacturing.

tim foilat's picture
tim foilat's picture
tim foilat Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 10:45am
tonybarber wrote:

We know many leading clothing manufactures do this, as the article states. It's very disappointing that Rip Curl is tagged with this. Geez, the days have changed when we used to go down to Torquay in winter and help sow wetsuits and surf the local breaks.
This is a world wide problem - the strive to get a lower price in virtually all areas of manufacturing.

"We know many leading clothing manufacturers do this", who's we tony? I had no idea rip curl were manufacturing in north Korea. Who are the many other leading clothing manufacturers doing this?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 11:38am

I think most brands would be trying to avoid this but as Tony pointed out, it's all about the price. The brand puts pressure on the supply chain to minimise the price and someone down the line does the wrong thing. That said Rip Curl need to tell us a bit more than they did via the article and open up their entire supply chain to scrutiny. As consumers we are also complicit. By seeking the best price and comparison shopping we help create the price pressure that results in these breaches. We should be prepared to pay more for items guaranteed to be produced in safe factories that pay living wages.......but, being realistic, it is probably not the best marketing strategy.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 12:14pm

Yep BB agree, we are complicit. We know about what Nike did in Indo and the sad Bangaldesh clothing factories, so yes we are complicit. Closer to home, there is a problem with Asian workers employed by 7 Eleven. Being seriously underpaid. The workers are fearful of loosing their jobs and many are breaching their visas. I am confident it is not a coincidence that most garages, convenience stores are managed by Asian workers.
In this Rip Curl will need to change and quickly.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 2:41pm

Shop ethical rating of surf/skate brands. Big old F for Rip Curl already in place before this event.

http://guide.ethical.org.au/guide/browse/guide/?cat=700&subcat=704&type=717

You can see why KS left QS and sided with Kering.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 3:07pm

Well, many many moons ago I did raise this whole topic about surf brands manufacturing in Asia and how they could justify large coin for a logo filled cotton T-shirt made in some sweet shop, didn't get one jolly roger reply. While some naive heads out there might think we surfers are all pure when comes to this sort of thing, the truth is we and the industry isn't. For the record I can't remember when I purchased a surf brand item other than my Patagonia boardies which I got on eBay for $5. If you are looking for well made ethically produced items that do the job without the big logos head for bush walking shops when they have their sales.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 3:16pm

Floyd, don't think the surf brand issues are news to most swellnutters. I'm sure I've seen multiple threads and topics on it here. This is just interesting as its a clear case and very visible.

As an aside, I don't really care what surfbrands charge as there are other options, that's up to them to set their prices and the individual to decide if it represents a good deal for them. if it seems too much you obviously aren't their target market. Only issue is in wetties and boardies but that's a little different to the t-shirt/surf wear market.

Note that i avoid surf brands like the plague. I really need new boardies but have decided to ignore this problem till my arse is hanging out of my existing ones. Much easier decision.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 3:31pm

yeah, $500-$600 wet suits. made in asia, shipped to the UK and then purchased on line and sent here (postage free) for 55-60% of RRP in AU ... why the mark ups here?

as an aside, i've got a iTunes account based in the US .... massive savings are had

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 4:11pm

I'm lucky that wetties have just happened to "come my way" for a while but I always seem to miss the boardie gravy train. Actually thinking about it, my only issue is that I can't get more free boardies at the moment so am struggling to justify the purchase! Cheap arse. Does any surfer from a surf industry town actually pay for gear? No-one I know.

Good pickup on the UK wetties, will keep in mind.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 4:13pm

Maybe they need the mark-ups to cover the "friends of friends" effect in Aus...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 6:08pm
mk1 wrote:

Maybe they need the mark-ups to cover the "friends of friends" effect in Aus...

.....and the "friends" themselves are pretty expensive. The vast majority of sponsored surfers don't seem to be good value as marketing tools. At the very top no doubt they pay their way but it's hard to see the benefit to the brand even with some of the lower rated CT surfers.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 10:23pm

yeah the whole sponsored surfer business model sucks ... but mainly for us punters who are expected to pay full whack to pay for the lifestyle of those spoilt little prima donnas.

retail ....... there is a local surf shop, been there since the beginning, i know the owner really well, nice guy, spent lots there over the years ... boards, wet suits, clothes but not for a decade or more unless i'm super desperate coz i get a whopping 10% discount ..... 10 fucking percent off ..... no-one pays full whack or 10% off ever on retail now ...... my partner works in retail and she gets 50% off all purchases, and when there is a sale and everything is 30% off she gets the reduced price less a further 50% ...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 10:40pm

Can anyone else see the irony in the theme of this thread, then people in the comments section discussing how to get even cheaper things? BB is right when he says consumers are complicit.

Perhaps the biggest let down here is that whether you pay, for example, $110 or $7 for a pair of jeans, they fall apart at the same speed.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 21 Feb 2016 at 11:00pm

Meanwhile at the surfstich sale boardies are going quick
mk1 .......my fellow scrooge ...click on boardshorts ....click under $35 and buy buy buy

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Monday, 22 Feb 2016 at 12:06am

Thanks Udo - on it!

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 22 Feb 2016 at 3:57pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

Can anyone else see the irony in the theme of this thread, then people in the comments section discussing how to get even cheaper things? BB is right when he says consumers are complicit.

Perhaps the biggest let down here is that whether you pay, for example, $110 or $7 for a pair of jeans, they fall apart at the same speed.

irony ... true VJ ... but my point, be it poorly expressed perhaps, is that these companies go to the sweet shops to force down operational costs while charging full whack in the 1st world = greed x 2.

if the product does the job its meant to do and good value for money companies can still manufacture in the 1st world and still make a profit .... i routinely buy clothing made by 3 different companies in NZ (here and online) and it competes favourably on price with Asian made but sold in AU and is bullet proof when it comes to fabric used and quality of workmanship.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 22 Feb 2016 at 9:58pm

The only way to stop this irresponsible corporate behaviour is to hit a company where it hurts its profit margin. Boycott businesses which source their products from labour that is exploited and support businesses thats behaviour suits your own ethics.

Ethical Clothing Australia accreditation is something I look for in some products I purchase.

BobC's picture
BobC's picture
BobC Tuesday, 23 Feb 2016 at 5:57am

If we send our money to North Korea, the little fat man gets it all. He then builds Nuclear missiles with that money. Rip Curl and others may just get their gear delivered to Australia under an ICBM warhead one day so North Korea can save on freight.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 23 Feb 2016 at 7:33am

Does Ripcurl pay a good dividend to investors? Looked up and realised they are a private company.
Wonder how much the board of directors and CEO earn?

Pookie Magoo's picture
Pookie Magoo's picture
Pookie Magoo Thursday, 25 Feb 2016 at 8:48pm
floyd wrote:

yeah, $500-$600 wet suits. made in asia, shipped to the UK and then purchased on line and sent here (postage free) for 55-60% of RRP in AU ... why the mark ups here?

as an aside, i've got a iTunes account based in the US .... massive savings are had

Im after a ripcurl 5/3 for winter, 86 english pounds or about 160 australian sheckles! Cheaper than local factory outlet here!

tim foilat's picture
tim foilat's picture
tim foilat Thursday, 25 Feb 2016 at 11:59pm
BobC wrote:

If we send our money to North Korea, the little fat man gets it all. He then builds Nuclear missiles with that money. Rip Curl and others may just get their gear delivered to Australia under an ICBM warhead one day so North Korea can save on freight.

Nah nah bob, it's just like indo and Bangladesh in fact it's just like Asian workers getting underpaid in seven eleven in Australia