Why do people ride big label surfboards??

derra83's picture
derra83 started the topic in Wednesday, 10 Feb 2016 at 11:47am

Do any people on here ride big label surfboards such as Channel Islands, DHD, Lost and other similar brands? I'm genuinely curious while trying to reserve my judgement, but it seems a strange thing to do in this day and age. All shapers have access to computer files and can shape almost anything, yet big name brands are $100-$200 dearer in my town (and others I visit). The construction is no better and you've got less recourse if things go wrong. So why do surfers still do it?

After the school holidays just gone I was blown away by the number of big name boards being ridden in my area.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 9:26pm

Thought this might be a bit of a blazing row, but it's a great discussion.

I'll throw my two bob's worth in.

First of all, we are talking chaos. We are talking chaotic designs (materials, blanks, shapes, amount of fibreglass, rails, rocker, v, concaves, volume, planing area) meet slightly, but only slightly less chaotic humans (age, weight, amount of flab to muscle, energy levels on the day, attitudes, desires, experience) riding waves (almost infinitely variable) and shifting sandbanks (seasonal, daily) at different tides coming at different times at different heights according to the moon and atmospheric pressures, with different winds.

The amount of chaos here makes landing on the moon look like a doddle.

A board that is a dog for you may be the magic board for a guy with similar experience and similar dimensions, it's that fickle.

So, what to do! (Fark, I don't know, just laying out some principles and personal experience here)

In the last few years, having a bit more time and a bit more cash I decided to start buying boards and if they didn't work for me, get rid of them, but not until I had learned something, or thought I had. That was the deal.

I like new boards, name shaper or not, I like 'em new, I'm not a battler any more, but have bought plenty of second hand in the past. Becoming older means you can indulge yourself a little, and quite frankly I don't spend a lot of money on myself so this is my gift to myself. Go on, you're worth it.

Ok, so I bought a batch of boards over a period of a year or two, of course using past experience and preferences as a guide. Even bought a hypto krypto. It actually went great on some waves, but I missed a heap of waves I should have been catching. I suspect that is about weight distribution, me and the boards, and my body type. Have spoken to plenty of people, and others love them, they suit some and not others. Not me.

But! I found a better idea on the volume range that suits me. I have found that the weight of the board relative to volume is important, and I found that the planing area is important. I have a much better idea of what works for me.

If you think a certain shape, or a certain brand, or a certain material, is the one for you, you probably haven't thought it through enough. If you get the chance to do it, go through a few boards, brands and materials and work out what works for you, and by definition it won't be the same as what works for the bloke next to you.

I nod my head to those who referred to 'availability'. I only ever bought boards that were there, I didn't once by boards that weren't there.

So shop boards are good, they have their purpose. I went through a period of customs, but it ain't necessary until you have nailed down what you want, what really works for you, as you are now, not when you were fit and 23, now, when you are carrying a few and you're 54.

So I have refined a number of variables, and have a good idea, but let's face it, they suit me in the conditions that I generally ride them in, which is a batch of beach breaks, bombies and a few point breaks that I visit, mainly east coast oz and a bit of Bali. These same board may be second rate compared to some other boards in other conditions, but best to buy for what you surf most often. The 80/20 rule, (which isn't a rule, or even a guideline, but that's another rant)

I'm getting much more refined on what works best for me, and this education STARTED 23 years after I started surfing!

New materials, new designs, computer cut blanks, etc, it all makes a difference.

So I have 4 boards, all which I love for different reasons and different conditions. But I'm still lousy at picking which board to take on any given day. You can't leave 3 boards melting in the car while you surf for 2 hours, and I can't afford to employ a board caddy to paddle out with me every time I go surfing for when I take the wrong board out on the right day.

Fark! Chaos.

On build quality, I have a couple of Simon Anderson boards, made in Thailand, and the build quality is sensational, and the designs magnificent, more durable than anything produced 10 years ago. They will last me years, and the sunova board I bought recently will still look new in 5 year's time, assuming I avoid other surfers and rocks, and bad luck.

I'd be happy to now take some of those ideas to a shaper, but I don't know what else would work. There may be many other shapes that would be equally good.

As far as local manufacture goes, it's hit and miss. I have a friend who works in the industry, and he swears off some brands because he has worked there and knows that they are mass produced with minimal quality, and other brands he would swear by. Just getting local is no guarantee of much at all.

So I have added nothing to the debate, but damn I took a long time to do it! :-)

Cheers

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 9:41pm

Good post Batfink i agree on pretty much all of that.

Then too add to that what board might be magic for you at 25 most likely isn't going to magic for you at 35 and so on, we all change over time both physically and finiteness etc but also mentally and how we approach things.

There is only one thing more confusing and chaotic than surfboards and that fins.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 9:49pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

There is only one thing more confusing and chaotic than surfboards and that fins.

Oh god, just glass mine on thanks. I don't even want to think about it.

Average's picture
Average's picture
Average Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 10:18pm

Certainly one factor for stock boards are instant gratification, vs waiting 6+ weeks (and longer) for your custom to be made.

Another factor is "what you see is what you get". For every dream custom story, there are 3 nightmare stories. Once ordered a rounded square tail and received a swallow with wrong dimensions (dims on the stringer were as requested, but board dims were 1/4 inch narrower than written and requested). Never went back to that shaper. At least you know what you'll get with a stock board.

There is no doubt marketing is a factor for some. In my experience, getting a board like a pro doesn't make you surf like one. I gave up my dreams of winning.. anything.. in surfing a long time ago. Turns out "pro" boards don't help me surf better anyway (I need more foam and glass).

I think the final point pushing some to stock boards is approachability of your average shaper. To get good results working with a shaper, there has to be some genuine interest for the shaper to make boards for/with you. While I haven't met too many unfriendly shapers, its another thing to actually have a chat, get to know each other and try some stuff. Not many shapers have time or desire to work with 20+ punters, let alone everyone buying boards these days.

I don't think shaper experience is hugely important. I'd be weary of guys with less than couple hundred boards, but not necessarily 20 years shaping. It is even less important when machines do the majority of the work these days.

I'm lucky to know an experienced shaper who offered to make boards for me mostly for his fun, we catch up and talk designs and ideas every couple of weeks and I'll order 1-2 boards per year. I tell him what I'm thinking, he adds his experience to the mix and each board is getting progressively better. I have very little interest in stock boards now, but not everyone is this fortunate.

I'd prefer a stock board over working with a dis-interested or too-busy shaper. I feel stock boards have an appropriate niche; they are instant, consistent boards for the masses. The problem is that many punters have their ambitions and their abilities mixed up, and end up getting boards that don't help their surfing.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 10:22pm

Why did people get into Gangnam style, or "who let the dogs out"? Why do people watch Bondi rescue? Home and away? There were even "Melrose Place parties", I kid you not!!
Answer these questions, and "Why do people ride big label surfboards" will answer itself.... lol

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 10:30pm
staitey wrote:

How do you guys go with the longevity of those boards off the shelf? Are they mostly just 4 x 4 glass jobs?

That would be my worry about grabbing one off the rack, also its highly unlikely Jason or Darren shaped that particular board.

My shaper was a glasser first and glasses for a lot of the big boys but shapes too, so its hard to go past because I know his boards are holding up 2 years down the track.Not many shapers these days see the whole process through from design right through to the finish. Would be good to try some of the name shapes though

I've had no worries with JS or CI quality. I've actually just jumped back on a JS 107 which is now 18 months old and looks pretty sweet. Maybe had 200+ surfs on that one. Tried a bunch of others in the last 12 months but went back to the JS though. Got a new CI Dane model Sampler today though so looking forward to giving that a crack tomorrow.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 10:37pm

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 7:43am

Some people love off the shelf boards from the big name shapers a lot of them look like great boards light glass jobs which affect their durability but surf well.

With technology now and machine shaped blanks ready to be hand finished it's quite easy for the local shaper to build something to suit with adjustments you desire. The important thing is to make it very clear what you want out of a surfboard when speaking with your shaper and take the time to discuss it in depth with them using their experience to create something that works for you.

I like some of my boards built to last so tend to ask for heavier glass jobs compared to what you sometimes get off the shelf or from the big name brands.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 9:19am

When does a board become a big name label surfboard anyway?

Quite obvious are all the names like Al Merricks, DHD, Firewire, JS, Mayhem etc produce a lot of boards and have a name worldwide.

What about manufactures like Pyzel?….Id never heard of them before JJF, i now think of them as a big label, i have no idea really how big they are though in Hawaii?.

What about boards like Pipedreams, or Stuart or Mt Woodjee or Webber, Gash, Brothers neilson etc, labels that at some stage have had pros ridding their boards or advertised heavily in mags, they are well known might pump out a good number of boards but perhaps only in Aust and in reality their operations are sometimes not that much bigger than many local shapers.

To me it's much the same as music, popularity or how many albums a band sells doesn't dictate if they are good or bad or if i will listen to them or not, i love heaps of obscure stuff but still love Nirvana or the Beetles etc.

Im sure there is many different reasons people ride certain brands, sure some may think i want a DHD because Mick rides them or read some spin, some may think they may make them surf better, but end of the day a lot comes down to whats available in there area or where they buy boards.

In a sense i feel like a kook sometimes walking down the beach with an Al Merrick or Mayhem or especially a Firewire under my arm, knowing many will judge me, I've even thought before maybe i should draw over the logos etc especially as those FW logos are so damn ugly but then i think nah fuck what people think, i ride what ride because i like it (or actually these days more to do with durability and consistency, knowing if i do snap a board i love i can the exact same board again)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 9:55am

I was listening to a video with Bert Burger the other day and he made the delineation that there is really only two ways to make boards now. Be the guy who sells 10-20 boards a week to surfers at your local beach, get them cut at one of the AKU hubs then finished by yourself in your factory, or become a 100 board a week company, maybe getting the boards cut and finished in Asia or maybe with your own domestic operation being cut and finished by ghost shapers.

In his eyes there's no in between ground, and to jump from one up to the other requires a fat whack of capital, and perhaps a bit of luck. Having JJF as a team rider is an example of said luck.

Though he wasn't talking in terms of 'big brand' vs 'local' it's a pretty neat way to categorise them.

He also said when he started out there was something like 50 local shapers servicing the Perth area and now there's something like 3. Which adds weight to what Freeride was saying about the big labels cannibalising the market of the small guys. There's never been as many surfboards made as right now; the surfing population is peaking, each surfer's quiver is growing, and yet the total number of surfboard companies is in sharp decline. Some people must be doing OK?

seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 10:12am

In response to Stu: You are right there seems to be less smaller labels but from what I have seen a lot of those guys are working as "ghosts" for the big guys and to be honest they probably make more money that way, no overheads etc. A lot of the ghosts still shape in their name on the side as well if you want the human touch. I know guys that have gone down the become a ghost shaper path and seem to be happy.

Personally I spent close to 30 years getting local made boards but in the last 5 or so years dabbled with some big name brands and to be honest I have not been disappointed, firstly I'll clarify I haven't paid full retail for one (friend of a friend type deals) but I have had a few Rusty's and have never been disappointed and also recently a Chili which is also great. What these mass produced boards offer is consistency, I was getting more and more disappointed with my full custom boards which is frustrating and expensive, in saying that the best custom boards I have had were from Murray Bourton so he was kind of somewhere between big and small name.

dewhurst's picture
dewhurst's picture
dewhurst Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 10:38am

Youre the latest to mention consistency from big brands, but it doesn't make sense anymore. Everyone is using machine cuts, sometimes they're even sharing the same machines! I can go my my local shaper and get a board and next month get the very same board. A computer cut is a computer cut is a computer cut.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 10:50am

Would just be good if you could get thicker glass jobs on the Big Brand off the shelf models……….like don't even know if they're 4 x 4 x 4 let alone wanting a layer of 6oz in there.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 11:03am

My last experience with a big name label. First light nosedive on a six foot day at the local reef. Didn't even last one wave. Clues to its demise will be noticed by sharp-eyed folk - "Ultra Light"

1912289_10151929915686680_948643559_o.jpg

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 11:06am
indo-dreaming wrote:

)

Obviously I am no authority on the matter but I consider big name boards manufactures that local shapers stock in their shop due to demand.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 11:11am

One thing I do enjoy watching though is people struggling to catch waves riding boards that are too small for them/their ability level because their favourite WSL pro rides them.

Which is one advantage a Novice/Intermediate surfer has by using a local shaper they can get good advice on what should work for them at the stage they are at in their surfing life. A more advanced surfer can obviously look at a board and have a reasonable idea whether it will suit him.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 12:03pm

Stu - despite it being the maiden surf would you have been surprised snapping a board at this reef at 6 foot? Honest question as it sounds plausible but you'd be the guy who knows.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 12:19pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Then too add to that what board might be magic for you at 25 most likely isn't going to magic for you at 35 and so on, we all change over time both physically and finiteness etc but also mentally and how we approach things.

That's funny Indo. I was just as the surf shop after a body surf and wrestling with bluey tentacles, and the guy in the shop was saying how his most recent custom board was a dog, so he talked to the shaper and and he recommended a different set of fins, and the guy reckons it it now a brilliant board.

You're right, I didn't even mention fins! D'oh!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 12:28pm

mk1 wrote:

Stu - despite it being the maiden surf would you have been surprised snapping a board at this reef at 6 foot? Honest question as it sounds plausible but you'd be the guy who knows.

Well it's not the heaviest reef on the coast so yeah, I would've been surprised breaking any other board on the first wave out there. Sure it can happen but probability being what it is means it should be a rare occurence.

However, when manufacturers deliberately make a board that's 'Ultra light' then all bets are off. That sucker can pop at any time.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 12:52pm

Fair enough Stu - I ask because I did have a very similar board including the brand and glassing sticker (just a different model), that I bought second hand, rode for a year and snapped in almost the identical place as you - but I wasn't particularly surprised when I came up and it was in 2 pieces. Still disappointing.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 12:52pm
Wharfjunkie wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:

)

Obviously I am no authority on the matter but I consider big name boards manufactures that local shapers stock in their shop due to demand.

That's a good way to separate the two i guess.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 3:39pm

Had a CI ultra light glassed board a few years ago and first surf the deck looked 6 months old,you could almost push your finger thru it but apart from that i find that the glassing in general is way better now and stronger on shop boards and customs,4x4 on the deck if done properly is pretty strong,well it has been on a few ive had lately.

seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 3:54pm
dewhurst wrote:

Youre the latest to mention consistency from big brands, but it doesn't make sense anymore. Everyone is using machine cuts, sometimes they're even sharing the same machines! I can go my my local shaper and get a board and next month get the very same board. A computer cut is a computer cut is a computer cut.

I hear you and I'm not sure what the answer is, perhaps it is the fact you have a limited amount of personal design tweaks you can make as opposed to a full custom so maybe the inconsistency issue is due to me the consumer (fast but loose and all that) where if you order say a Rusty you pick model X at size Y and that is it, they pump out a board that they know works, no changing tail here, bit more volume here etc. Perhaps we are not sophisticated enough to be given choice and get it right consistently.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 7:10pm

Was at Cronulla yesterday.

To the casual observer ie me, there was JS's fucking everywhere.

More ( insubstantial ) proof of the big brands cornering the market.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 7:36pm
Blowin wrote:

When R U up these ways Blowin?
A surf at TOS, a beer, some banter to say the least!
Looking into some different eyes!
Seeing someone ride both ways, would make my day champ.
The Yowie has been doing my head in, at the moment;)
20 million years of forest in my backyard and wow, I'm just starting to understand a little bit.........

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 9:01pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Good point. I just got a wide and thick single fin for the quiver (that also has a quad set up, if desired). Changes my whole approach and while I don't surf as well on it (in the top to bottom sense) I adore the glide and the patience it requires to draw lines. I don't want to surf radically but want to draw clean functional lines with the odd experimental turn thrown in. I also catch 5 times more waves than I do on my regular equipment. I keep taking it out rather than the more high performance equipment. I am just old now haha

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 9:15pm
wellymon wrote:
Blowin wrote:

When R U up these ways Blowin?
A surf at TOS, a beer, some banter to say the least!
Looking into some different eyes!
Seeing someone ride both ways, would make my day champ.
The Yowie has been doing my head in, at the moment;)
20 million years of forest in my backyard and wow, I'm just starting to understand a little bit.........

Not this time unfortunately Welly, I'm north coast ATM - bailing on Monday.

Fucked from travel so it's a couple of days of waves and beers then out of here, don't have it in me to get up your way....yet.

One day Welly.

Would be great fun.

Cheers legend

Buzz1's picture
Buzz1's picture
Buzz1 Saturday, 13 Feb 2016 at 12:10pm
Blowin wrote:

But isn't that just business? Shaping is a business. Most guys are in it to make money. Not all shapers are gonna stay small, poor and underfed. Good luck to guys like JS. They deserve their success. If the "small" shapers are getting squeezed out of the market, maybe their boards aren't good enough. If they were shaping good boards, word gets around. They'd sell more boards. I say buyer beware. You buy a super light big name board, you should know the consequences.

rosso's picture
rosso's picture
rosso Saturday, 13 Feb 2016 at 12:46pm

No ones yet mentioned us fellas with unusual body shapes. I'm 6'3 and weigh just under 100kg.

For you average sized surfers the worlds your oyster for board selection, but at my size I don't trust anything off the rack to be tailored to me. My last 4 boards have been custom with the same local shaper. Each is a refinement from the previous and it's done wonders for my surfing. Going back for the 5th refinement very soon.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 13 Feb 2016 at 1:23pm

Customs for big boys....reminds me of the ones Big Jimbo Pellegrine used to ride - whoa some foam and width in them things, his everday short board was 24' wide x 3 3/4 thick.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 14 Feb 2016 at 7:54am

"I was listening to a video with Bert Burger the other day and he made the delineation that there is really only two ways to make boards now. Be the guy who sells 10-20 boards a week to surfers at your local beach, get them cut at one of the AKU hubs then finished by yourself in your factory, or become a 100 board a week company, maybe getting the boards cut and finished in Asia or maybe with your own domestic operation being cut and finished by ghost shapers."

Lot of truth in that Stu.
Hope no-one minds the spamming but I'm posting up links to 2 features I did for Surfline on the shapers around here. Included because every level of board building is included along that spectrum, and the information within is pertinent to the thread.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/as-the-once-bohemian-community-continu...

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/underground-innovation-resides-just-ou...

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 14 Feb 2016 at 10:27am

I have had big name and no name boards and plenty of them. Really most experienced shapers
know what works with curve, rocker, rails, concave etc but its not until I find the right fins to match
my surfing and complements the boards natural flow I'm happy with any of them and that's where
most shapers seem to have very little idea. That's understandable really as everybody surfs differently.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 14 Feb 2016 at 10:37am
evosurfer wrote:

I have had big name and no name boards and plenty of them. Really most experienced shapers
know what works with curve, rocker, rails, concave etc but its not until I find the right fins to match
my surfing and complements the boards natural flow I'm happy with any of them and that's where
most shapers seem to have very little idea. That's understandable really as everybody surfs differently.

Fins are such hard topic to get your head around. many of us have our favourite go to fins, but there is so many factors with a board that affects fins and often our go to fins aren't the best fin option.

Many are obvious factors but some maybe not like tail rocker or factors like can't angle, for instance bottom concave can be a factor in how the boards plugs sit which in affect can affect fin cant angle that can make a huge difference especially on quads.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 14 Feb 2016 at 1:46pm

Dunno, I'd say you can buy a known level of performance off the rack 'big-label' if you are honest about the dimensions you will need, your ability, the waves you will be surfing. I've had success over the years buying higher vol MC this way, and Simons second hand.
That is said as a shaper of 22 years for myself. It takes time to nail the designs that work for you, even when you are doing it yourself. Very happy with my shapes for self and mates at present with good results, but I'll never be so proud I won't try others' boards, big or small label. You learn something from everyone, and every method of making a board. Its nice when there is a justifiable reason to like your own one better though!

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 14 Feb 2016 at 2:23pm

I know two things that local guys in my area wont even consider a no name board regardless
if someone rips on it. And no 2 everybody that surfs on Al Merricks seem to surf at the best
of there own ability.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 1:12am
stunet wrote:

My last experience with a big name label. First light nosedive on a six foot day at the local reef. Didn't even last one wave. Clues to its demise will be noticed by sharp-eyed folk - "Ultra Light"

1912289_10151929915686680_948643559_o.jpg

mmm, the glassing schedule per the decal is what 99% of 'off the rack' surfboards would have.

Decal label of "ultra light" could be more aligned with the density of the foam core.

Or, could be pure marketing BS.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 1:29am
simba wrote:

Had a CI ultra light glassed board a few years ago and first surf the deck looked 6 months old,you could almost push your finger thru it but apart from that i find that the glassing in general is way better now and stronger on shop boards and customs,4x4 on the deck if done properly is pretty strong,well it has been on a few ive had lately.

Probably the density of the foam making the difference, rather than the glassing.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 1:37am
freeride76 wrote:

"I was listening to a video with Bert Burger the other day and he made the delineation that there is really only two ways to make boards now. Be the guy who sells 10-20 boards a week to surfers at your local beach, get them cut at one of the AKU hubs then finished by yourself in your factory, or become a 100 board a week company, maybe getting the boards cut and finished in Asia or maybe with your own domestic operation being cut and finished by ghost shapers."

Lot of truth in that Stu.
Hope no-one minds the spamming but I'm posting up links to 2 features I did for Surfline on the shapers around here. Included because every level of board building is included along that spectrum, and the information within is pertinent to the thread.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/as-the-once-bohemian-community-continu...

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/underground-innovation-resides-just-ou...

I doubt many of the guys in those articles are doing anywhere near the 10-20 boards per week.

Knowing the costs, IMHO, on average across the whole year, 5-10 boards per week would provide an OK living IF the guy is doing the finishing himself (i.e. design or shape blank, artwork (if any) and glassing) and a low overhead structure (i.e. no team riders, low tech shed, etc.)

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 6:02am

Some doing way more, with factory set-ups , some out-sourcing glassing.
Some with the full set up in the back-yard.
I just posted to show that around here there is the full spectrum.

but by and large, I think Bert is right. The middle sized set-ups are being hollowed out.

cgrover's picture
cgrover's picture
cgrover Friday, 24 Jun 2016 at 5:59pm

I have a V3 Rocket as well - first lost board and it is just awesome - the best board I have ridden. I have supported local shapers South Oz and have got some really good boards. The 'name' boards - especially the popular models I've had over a couple of years are usually a safe bet - Simon Anderson's, Superbrand and CI etc. The real difference with the mass produced boards I have found is their durability - even a heavy glass job doesn't always last as long - which is sad coz the favorite ride just doesn't last, especially if you travel with it. With a local shaper you can explain just what a strong glass job means. Look at the older boards in the lineup and they are often the same brand - the best glass jobs last - but do make the board heavier. Not an issue if you're not on the tour.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 25 Jun 2016 at 11:34am

I came across a buy I couldn't refuses a while back a V3 rocket very very condition for $250 it looked like a nice board and in dims o
Normally ride but the weird thing is apart from the odd good turn I never really liked it, I even tried a few different fin set ups quad and thruster and gave it a good run about 20 surfs.

Was also the first pu/pe board I've ridden in years and am looking forward to jumping back on eps/epoxy.

bs262's picture
bs262's picture
bs262 Monday, 27 Jun 2016 at 9:21pm

Great honest comment. Why are the best of anything the best? Is marketing smoke and mirrors or is it a practical method of creating awareness of things that are better. Obviously not always. In surfing why do some pros ride some brands and others ride others. While money is an influence the best surfers wishing to create an income or achieve rankings cannot do that on b grade surfboards. Ever seen an ASP or WSL surfing contest with several competitors riding their home town boards. The twist in the comment is that you do have more recourse with larger brands but it will depend on how you exercise that. They have more to lose by bad comment and feedback in various circles. The other interesting point that is made is why do people pay more for perceived quality. Because they can trust multiple comment and observation. Brands are trustworthy or fake and fake does not last. We are all smarter than that.

Frank Discussion's picture
Frank Discussion's picture
Frank Discussion Tuesday, 28 Jun 2016 at 11:46am

I was anti big name brands for years preferring to support my local shaper to a fault. I'm a big guy (six four and 96kg) and always the local guys came back with narrow high performance sleds with a few inches tacked on the front. None of them ever worked good for me. Ever. The only other option they ever presented were super short swallow tail twinnie fish type boards that were only good in micro conditions.

Someone who I trusted implored me to try a Lost Rocket and I was just blown away. For years I had been battling away riding boards that weren't appropriate for my ability and size and it stalled my surfing dramatically. For years.

Not one of these local shapers who were supposed to be some kind of guru that understands the local conditions and had seen me surf had suggested shorter, flatter, wider boards. They shaped boards that they wanted to shape with bugger all care for what I needed and this includes the aforementioned Patto. I was ALWAYS honest in my appraisal of my ability, paddle fitness, etc too.

Now I've got my volume dialled in and a reasonable understanding of what works for me I can grab a board off the rack and it will ride great in the local conditions for the few hours I get to surf per week in between work, kids and life in general. I have nowhere near the time or patience to massage a local shapers ego into giving me what I want when theres a range of boards that will work that I can have right now.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 30 Jun 2016 at 12:47pm

What works for some doesn't for others i guess. i was convinced into buying a hypto krypto and so far ive found the waves around here too jacking and steep for it. but im not as fit as i want to be so we will see soon i guess if i surf more often and keep at the gym. otherwise i might sell it and lose a lot of the cash i spent on it.Then get a custom from a well reputed local shaper.
It might have suited me 8 years ago or at somewhere like a long point break. not many easy long points around here though.

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Thursday, 30 Jun 2016 at 1:16pm

Its not over yet ground swell...i wasted a summer in the pub.Winter has straighten me out..
I got a bosu ball GS second hand.It has helped alot in core and leg strength. ..
Try one you will be destroying that krypto in no time....

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 30 Jun 2016 at 5:30pm

Ill give one a go ive heard good things about those. Thanks. Cant wait to get up the bluff this year, hopefully in tune.

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Thursday, 30 Jun 2016 at 8:03pm

I think ill tune up at a beachie for now.Another level pumping bluff.
Got a DS 6.3 on the way,should help tune up abit easier.Had a dhd 6.0 Quad diamond tail with a v through the board got some nice 6 footers on that last year,but its in half now..

fartpaddler's picture
fartpaddler's picture
fartpaddler Friday, 1 Jul 2016 at 4:32pm

"For an average punter who isn't in the local scene anywhere and doesn't know a shaper, or will never have a shaper watch him surf, a big name board is a pretty safe choice."

bingo

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Thursday, 7 Jul 2016 at 11:26pm

ID - the thing I found about the V3 rocket is you have to have your back foot behind the last hip to get the sharp turns out of it, otherwise its too stiff. And the other thing is you can't drive from the rail line through the fins as its too flat rockered and square in the outline, but you can skip or "hop" it forward to get speed if that makes sense.