Do mates let mates gamble?

groundswell's picture
groundswell started the topic in Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 1:32pm

I have a mate i met last year and became good friends with who recently ran into some inheritance money.
He has been gambling away a lot of the money when i hung out with him yesterday.
I should add, he says his first try he won over $600 on a trifecta at the TAB but he says he has cancer so
im not sure what to do, whethor to let him have his fun or do something about it.
I cant sit there and watch him waste away all his money but i dont want to be spoiling one of the only things he enjoys.
I dont know anyway do mate let mates gamble and what would you do in this scenario?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 1:38pm

top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 2:24pm

Before embarking on the wearying project of getting your mate to face up to his demons you should address the practical details first.

Get yourself written into his will.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 2:32pm

I have no time for Aussie gambling culture, but what can you do? You could try getting a but deeper about what else he enjoys and what/who he cares about and ask him if he'd think it was better the money went to those purposes. Then there is the activity of actually tracking the spending so he cant kid himself about it too much (no one wants to do that). Otherwise there is those gambling help lines and professional help if he can't stop himself but wants to (no shame in that).

Ultimately if your concerned enough to raise it you should clear your own mind and speak to him about it. Whether he takes it well or not isn't really the point, screw "bloke culture" on not saying something.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 2:38pm

"get yourself into his will"
Haha im not so concerned about that. I think he will live longer than he thinks and he will run out of cash when he will really regret it..Massive comedown to reality being broke again.
I left yesterday as there were all scabs hanging around and him giving tips to everyone of at least $20 for getting him a beer.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 2:48pm
mk1 wrote:

I have no time for Aussie gambling culture, but what can you do? You could try getting a but deeper about what else he enjoys and what/who he cares about and ask him if he'd think it was better the money went to those purposes. Then there is the activity of actually tracking the spending so he cant kid himself about it too much (no one wants to do that). Otherwise there is those gambling help lines and professional help if he can't stop himself but wants to (no shame in that).

Ultimately if your concerned enough to raise it you should clear your own mind and speak to him about it. Whether he takes it well or not isn't really the point, screw "bloke culture" on not saying something.

Good post i will keep it in mind. Some good ideas there.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 3:59pm

Groundie, obviously you are worried for a mate, otherwise you wouldn't be posting a thread on here.
mk1 hit the nail on the head in his last paragraph, it's important to speak up and get things of ya chest by telling him what is. You have a good heart, which hopefully he will realise that you're only trying to help him.

The only thing I could give you is probably a bag of dried out PawPaw leaf from our trees, simmer for 2 hrs or so, put the juice in the fridge and make him have at least 3-4 tablespoons a day every day. Taste like shit but it could cure his cancer.
Tbsl of Pawpaw juice on my jack russells dinner each night kept him living for 6 more years, than what the vet had said.

http://www.cancernaturaltherapyfoundation.org/health-articles-view.php?i...
There's lots of links, Mr Googs will help ya.

Gambling, Prostitutes have been the biggest money making activity known to man, since the Romans paid their soldiers in salt.
Moderation is important in every aspect of life, we all have over indulged in some aspect, but come to our senses sooner or later. Hope your mate does soon champ, good luck GS;)

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 4:59pm

Wow i just read a whole lot about paw paw leaves which looks very promising. Thanks welly im sure i can find a place locally to get some otherwise i might take you up on a bag of leaves, i will pay for postage etc cheers for that.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 7:50pm

Yeah can u just put the papaya juice in with the alcohol and keep drinking & cure the cancer while ur at it ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 8:21pm

While chuffing on a desert cigarette

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 11:26pm

U mean smoke pawpaw leaves udo ?

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Tuesday, 26 Jan 2016 at 8:44pm

Udo on the blue vain cigarette...