udo Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 6:03pm

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 6:42pm

Bowie's in space?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 6:46pm

I'm in fucking shock............. R.I.P you bloody legend.. A small part of my soul just died....

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 6:47pm

Just got told by my wife, spun out.

I remember spending so much time trying to track down a Scary Monsters t-shirt in grade 10.

RIP.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 6:52pm

If you didn't have some Bowie in your collection, it wasn't a collection.......

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 7:24pm

what a sound, what style, and all those changes!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 9:11pm
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

Bowie's in space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8f_XCH3zmM

Great choice Shats.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 9:15pm

I was definitely drawn in by his groovitational pull.
How far out was he? Pretty far out man...

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 11:44pm

A star...

Noel's picture
Noel's picture
Noel Tuesday, 12 Jan 2016 at 1:37am

My earliest memory of Bowie is getting amped to the Ziggy Stardust album in the back of an early 60's vw beetle heading down south in WA for a day trip to go surfing, probably at 3 Bears. Later I met a young a lady who also enjoyed his music, and 30 years later we both are sharing the grief and the loss. Today, my wife and myself are gutted. Namaste David Bowie, and thank you for the journey.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Tuesday, 12 Jan 2016 at 1:49am

Sad sad day... devastated at the news of David Bowie's death. brilliant intelligent masterful musician and man. I am completely in shock.. feels like the end of an era... part of my soul has died too. See you in another galaxy David

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Tuesday, 12 Jan 2016 at 6:44am

Ahhh...the great memories of his music - the best, Major Tom

niggly's picture
niggly's picture
niggly Tuesday, 12 Jan 2016 at 10:14am

a truly inspired artist RIP

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Tuesday, 12 Jan 2016 at 12:01pm

Let's dance?

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 12 Jan 2016 at 2:47pm

Davey & Jesus

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016 at 9:17am

Did a substantial Spotify trawl of Bowie's archives last night and was taken aback at how bog ordinary his early mod albums and singles were. Compared to the music of the day, Yardbirds, Kinks, Small Faces, et al, it's pedestrian fare. There's no hint of the artist to come and no chance a talent scout was ever gonna come knocking on young Davey's door.

Which is all the more bewildering when you consider his creative feats from, say, 1971 to 1980 when he was an artist nonpareil.

And so the questions: could he have been a popular artist at any time, or was his creativity simply in lockstep with 70s pop culture? Considering some of the dross he released in the late-80 and 90s I'm tending toward the latter. Which isn't detracting from him in any way but explains how he rose so suddenly and fell, well not quite as quickly, but the zeitgeist steadily slipped away from him.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016 at 10:28am

Bowie 1971 to 1980. Well if you start hanging with Iggy ,Lou,Eno and the like some of it would have to rub off.

Noel's picture
Noel's picture
Noel Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016 at 10:50am
fraser-gordon wrote:

Bowie 1971 to 1980. Well if you start hanging with Iggy ,Lou,Eno and the like some of it would have to rub off.

Yes, it rubbed off in both directions, although that wasnt the point you were trying to make. Interesting example to use Lou Reed's album Transformer..... you do know that Bowie is credited as co-producer with Mick Ronson on that album?

benski's picture
benski's picture
benski Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016 at 11:00am

I don't mean to be disrespectful at a time like this but you just can't ignore this....catastrophe

As Peter Griffin said, that happened and we all let it happen. ;-)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016 at 11:12am

Ha ha ha...we forgive him, just.

A similar catastrophe was Tin Machine, Bowie's attempt to match guitars with The Pixies and Nirvana and came off like an old man struggling to stay relevant.

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016 at 11:37am

Tin Machine! Bowie's 'hardcore' band! I remember Harley Flanagan (NYHC stalwart) was in one of their videos muggin' it up. Too much 80s production over the years left Bowie and his dudes struggling to get loose with the guitars.

Funny, 'cos this was almost a proto sound for mine way back at the start. Then again Mick Ronson was THE dude.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016 at 11:52am
Noel wrote:
fraser-gordon wrote:

Yes, it rubbed off in both directions, although that wasnt the point you were trying to make. Interesting example to use Lou Reed's album Transformer..... you do know that Bowie is credited as co-producer with Mick Ronson on that album?

Yes Noel that's the exact point I was trying to make they all bounced off each other.Bowie singing backup on that track say's it all take's it to another level.I think they were all spent by the start of the 80's.

Noel's picture
Noel's picture
Noel Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016 at 12:18pm

I agree, but I still find it hard to put a time-stamp on 'Peak Bowie'. I never warmed to much of his later stuff but seeing his live performance in 2004 was a bit of a revelation. He had definitely turbo-charged a few of his later singles and they came across a lot better on stage than on CD. His live performances in the northern hemisphere were his forte in the later years.

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016 at 2:38pm

Bowie and Tin Machine do surf muzak in Australia?!

simplefinsinlife's picture
simplefinsinlife's picture
simplefinsinlife Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016 at 6:13pm

The funky chops of Niles Rogers on Let's Dance are all-time...! There's an awesome Bowie covers album by Brazilian Seu Jorge which also makes up the soundtrack to the movie "The Life Aquatic", definitely worth checking out for the fans out there...

skull's picture
skull's picture
skull Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016 at 10:33pm
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

Davey & Jesus

I forgot he was in this ....one of my favourite films