Mental Toughness or Screwed Priority

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 started the topic in Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 9:07am

Situation faced by Mick Fanning today is ...

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 9:09am

Fucked, to say the least.

How's his mental toughness to be paddling out an competing? Fuck.

What would YOU do?

I'm not sure how I'd handle it ... do you focus on your career, the title battle and all the money that comes with it, or do you support those close to you, like ya mum, in what must be an emotional and trying time.

FUCK. What a year for Mick ... showing some serious mental toughness.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 12:00pm

For sure Wingnut.

It would be a real mental challenge for MF right now, good luck MF hope you win.

Saying that Peter Mel never had to ask the question why! after MF's round 4 heat.
PM could be more professional and not bring that up at all IMO.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 4:28pm

...not our business, and shouldn't be discussed online.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 5:12pm

Stok said "...not our business, and shouldn't be discussed online."

Fair enough Stok..
Its not my business at all, I just read it in the Daily Mail Online this morning before I had a read any SN's forums.

Dying is not a bad thing Stok, we all die and have close ones, who do as well, rejoice their death and believe they have moved on to another realm which will be greater than this one.
They, which IMO are your angels guiding you thru hard times and good in this life we live in.

Hallelujah for Mick when he wins tommorrow;)

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 6:57pm

I agree with your comment Wellymon, and maybe I was a bit too blunt. But really it was the topic title (clickbait style) and first post which made me post. Wingnut your second post I think was ok.

I guess I just dislike the public eye and making news out of people's personal lives. We like Mick, but do we need to discuss his personal life? Kind of gossiping isn't it?

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 8:12pm

I'm happy to put my hand up and shout the bar for the "clickbait style" topic and first post ... must admit it was deliberate to invoke some discussion. I'm not sure many of us average joe's actually realise just how many sacrifices have to be made to compete at the elite level, this is just one such example, and hence the name I gave to the topic.

As noted, my comment thereafter is more, ah ... balanced?

Mick winning his fourth title would be the fairytale ending Zoeseas marketing will be shooting their load over ... the mainstream media coverage will be HUGE due to the shark attack incident alone, but now, this tragic event for him and his family. Fuck me.

To make such as HUGE sacrifice and pull together the mental toughness, and well, for my money Mick deserves all the endorsements he gets from here ...

I can also see him having one hell of a post competitive career doing "corporate speaking"!

Sheesh his this year alone makes a huge story of dedication, mental toughness, persistence and resilience... let alone the back story issues including the come back from injury, dedication post loss of his first brother and his ongoing back issues.

I just hope we don't see too many "60 minute" style interviews and stories. If his management team have any smarts, there is a MASSIVE opportunity here to cement Mick's place in history and tell the raw story that can reverberate for many years to come - think movie, but include linkage to education for say kids.

My daughters school has this "You Can Do It" program which covers life skills from confidence, organisation and getting along, through to persistence and resilience. Mick's management team could pull together linkage to this type of education and use Mick's story to get the message out, which would benefit the wider community and in turn lead to Mick's profile extending into the mainstream for longer than the shark attack headlines.

It really is quite fucking amazing how he's held his shit together.

A few footballers, cricketers and other celebrities could learn a thing or two from Mick.

Again, my apology for the 'click bait' style topic heading. I'll shout the bar at the next swellnet users christmas party!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 8:10pm
wingnut2443 wrote:

I'll shout the bar at the next swellnet users christmas party!

Quoted just in case.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 8:13pm
stunet wrote:
wingnut2443 wrote:

Quoted just in case.

Just in case there IS one?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 8:20pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
stunet wrote:
wingnut2443 wrote:

Quoted just in case.

Yep, and just in case you delete the above.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 8:25pm

With a donation like this (thanks Wingnut!) - and still over a week to go - we could possibly tee up a last minute national Swellnet users Xmas party. I'll put out the feelers. 

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 8:25pm
stunet wrote:

wingnut2443 wrote:
stunet wrote:
wingnut2443 wrote:

Quoted just in case.

Yep, and just in case you delete the above.

C'mon stu, the chance of YOUR boss arranging one for us all ... I'm safe :-)

Ya boss hasn't even managed to catch up with a "local" up here for a beer and I live in the same estate as him! To be fair, he has given me a heads up when he's been going surfing, but, I tend to surf clean waves in the morning rather than the left over slops later on the day ;-)

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 8:27pm
thermalben wrote:

With a donation like this (thanks Wingnut!) - and still over a week to go - we could possibly tee up a last minute national Swellnet users Xmas party. I'll put out the feelers. 

I can think of a couple of local jaunts Ben ... or, there is the good 'ole "beach party", and again, we have access to some prime options ;)

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 9:07pm

With Stu in the 'gong and Ben at Tweed ........ That makes the party somewhere around Crescent by my calculation. I'm free on Tuesday night!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 10:13pm
wellymon wrote:

Stok said "...not our business, and shouldn't be discussed online."

Fair enough Stok..
Its not my business at all, I just read it in the Daily Mail Online this morning before I had a read any SN's forums.

Dying is not a bad thing Stok, we all die and have close ones, who do as well, rejoice their death and believe they have moved on to another realm which will be greater than this one.
They, which IMO are your angels guiding you thru hard times and good in this life we live in.

Hallelujah for Mick when he wins tommorrow;)

I reckon there aren't too many "known people" who would be subjected to such scrutiny at a personal time like this.
Don't reckon any politicians or probably tv celebs would be subjected to this. Open slather on sports stars though. Wonder why?

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 10:46pm

Hang on, I see this bereavement as a private matter, but Mick isn't alone in being targeted to turn his heartbreak into a human interest story between flip-flop ads. What about the ordinary citizenry? Whatever the tragic human disaster, the media will go on site to hunt down distraught friends and relatives to poke cameras in their face and ask 'How do you feel?'
As media acquaintances tell me, if you can get tears then that's your lead. All in the public interest, of course.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 10:44pm

Just seems like with regards to celebrities, sportspeople are more fair game than say politicians or business people. Are they regarded more as public property?
Oh yes, as Kenny Everett used to say, "All done in the best POSSIBLE taste!
After the J Bay incident, Fanning is the flavour of the month - the tv news piddled themselves to connect him to Gieselman's rescue at Pipe.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 17 Dec 2015 at 10:49pm

What about the ordinary citizenry? Whatever the tragic human disaster, the media will go on site to hunt down distraught friends and relatives to poke cameras in their face and ask 'How do you feel?'

Maybe that's it, sports stars are seen as ordinary folks while others higher up the food chain get treated with more respect.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Friday, 1 Jan 2016 at 10:41pm
wingnut2443 wrote:

Fucked, to say the least.

How's his mental toughness to be paddling out an competing? Fuck.

What would YOU do?

I'm not sure how I'd handle it ... do you focus on your career, the title battle and all the money that comes with it, or do you support those close to you, like ya mum, in what must be an emotional and trying time.

FUCK. What a year for Mick ... showing some serious mental toughness.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Friday, 1 Jan 2016 at 10:49pm

Interesting point. I have the view that as per my signature " Surfboard riding has never been, never will be a " sport ". On one hand Mick Fanning is to be commended for " making a living and honouring his responsibilities that go with it. Be it my self ? I come form a different world that has seen surfboard riding
" develop " into something that I and I might venture to say, many like me never hoped it ever would.
I lost my Mother a few years ago under terrible circusmtances. I am an only son.
NOTHING, read my lips, NOTHING - is more important than family.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Friday, 1 Jan 2016 at 10:50pm

deleted / incorrect reapeat