Krui

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley started the topic in Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 2:09pm

So I was thinking of doing an extended stay in Indo next year (thinking April/May) and wondered what people thought about Krui as a location?

Any suggestions as to a good place to stay? Something cheap would be good as looking to hang for 4-6 weeks visa permitting.

As I have the time I am thinking I could walk or rent a bike to get to surf spots? Looks like there are quite a few waves in the area.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 2:09pm

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 2:18pm

Almost anywhere is good when you are there for 6 weeks. Get a tourist visa before you leave, you can easily extend that. If I was going to Indo for a short trip like that, I'd probably just post up in the one spot. Travelling eats up your wave time pretty fast, and I find the most satisfying surf trips are the ones where I spend less time on the road/sea/air and more time in the surf or getting to know a place. Walking to the surf in the quiet parts of Indo is such a great feeling. With all the volcanic activity too, staying in the one spots means you are less likely to lose water days waiting for ash clouds to disappear.

No matter where you go, make sure you are comfortable there. I'd rather turn up and try out a few homestays etc. until I found a good one than book 6 weeks in advance and find out it's not my cup of tea. Once you are set on a place, you'll be able to snag a good discount off their nightly rate if you stay for 4 weeks or more.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 2:33pm

Cheers dandandan -good advise on the turn-up-and-see approach re homestays. Reckon I'll do that.

Always hard to tell what a place is going to be like just by trawling thru internet posts but Krui seems to tick some boxes - waves within walking distance (or short ride), reatively cheap and while it's not off the beaten track hopefully it's less crowded than Bali.

Might even do a quick stint up to Nias or the Telo's while I'm there - can't imagine it would cost too much to get there from Krui.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 2:57pm

This post seems to have all the info I need.... :)
http://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/13541

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 3:34pm

Hi maddog, yeah that link above covers most things.
So just to comment on a few things -

-the roadworks up in the hills north of Krui have been completed so it's an easy run now
- I'd definitely turn up for a day or two and look around at what's there in regards to accommodation. One place I stayed at in Ujung Bocur catered for wealthy locals (Javanese I think) to come and party. Not so good at two in the morning. Plenty of other choice there though.
- last I heard, there was a once a week flight from Bandar Lampung to Krui. The drive is a good five hours which might be an issue if you want to duck off somewhere else for a while.
- beautiful area with lots of exploring to do so even if the waves aren't amazing it's still good to spend time around there.
- IMO, one of the biggest bonuses is that most crew there are of average ability, all the hard cores seem to go elsewhere. On a 5-6ft day at Ujung Bacor, you might find there's only a few other guys looking for set waves.
- at Jenny's, Way Jambu and around Biha, shit will go missing from scooters even to the extent of seats being prised up but it's only petty stuff.

Have fun mate!

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 3:42pm

Cheers AndyM!