Indo quiver advice

samerubi's picture
samerubi started the topic in Wednesday, 18 Nov 2015 at 10:07am

Hi, i have locked an indo trip and am after some quiver advice.

My question is it better to stick with one shaper when building a quiver, or just choose boards from various shapers randomly?
For example, if my regular everyday board was from DHD/CI/JS/local/etc would there be significant benefit (in terms of feel and familiarity) by sticking with same brand/shaper?

i guess the real question is do most brands/shapers use a series of rockers/outlines/foils/etc that allow for an easy transition between allrounder, step-up and semi-gun?

Btw my step-up is more than 10yrs old so i am looking to build from my current allrounder - is this a valid starting point?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 18 Nov 2015 at 1:28pm

sounds reasonable.

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Wednesday, 18 Nov 2015 at 7:18pm

You may want to also take into consideration on where in indo your heading to. I will take a different quiver to the Mentawaii's then I would for gland for example.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 18 Nov 2015 at 7:31pm

Good point. And it's all subjective too I suppose. I know guys that wouldn't take anything bigger than a 6'2" to Indo, and other guys going to the same spot wouldn't take anything smaller than 7'2".

I've always been inclined to take my normal board and a 6'6" or bigger. I used to toy with the idea of taking something closer to 8', but the first time I paddled out to waves big enough to use a board that big I realized I didn't really want to be out there haha.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 18 Nov 2015 at 8:02pm

If you plan on surfing long, high quality waves I think it's always a good idea to slightly overgun.
Catching the wave is most important (and even more so in a crowd), and then you'll want a board that drives well down the line.

In response to your question, I think I remember reading that the guys from byrning spears recommend keeping the width and thickness the same throughout your quiver and just increase the length as you step up in different wave sizes. This helps the transition (grovellers excepted).

All my boards are different though and I enjoy mixing it up.

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Wednesday, 18 Nov 2015 at 8:18pm

depending on how long you are going for also if just for a week to 10 days you can get a good indication in swell size your looking at and therefore boards your likely to be riding. I'll take 3-4 boards taking into account the possibility of snapping a board.
Also your location if your in Bali or passing back through there, you can always restock.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 18 Nov 2015 at 8:41pm

Most of the time in Indo I ride my favourite everyday board i ride at home and only travel with one other board that is a little longer and more high performance for more solid hollower waves, call it a step up if you will..i do have the luxury of back up boards stashed around the areas I hang though incase i snap one.

I just hate traveling with too much stuff i have a rule for myself in that if i can't carry all my stuff by myself, its too much.

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Wednesday, 18 Nov 2015 at 9:18pm

Asyou thought start with your allrounder and as indo suggests a step up with a little extra length, similar width and thickness to your allrounder. I'd go with a round pin.

samerubi's picture
samerubi's picture
samerubi Thursday, 19 Nov 2015 at 9:07am

thanks everyone - some good insights there.
btw i am heading to the telos in august - so i dont expect to need a real semi gun.
i guess i was trying to tap into your experience with allrounder and step-up boards from the same shaper and has it made it easier to transition from one to the other in terms of similar feel, etc. in comparison with boards from different shapers.
i have to fork out for both before i go and wherever possible i try to make surfing easier for myself.
thanks again

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 19 Nov 2015 at 9:33am

Sounds like a good plan.

Like Lost Doggy I like to mix it up....I want my boards to surf differently to I can have a wider range.

But yeah, very much depends where you're going and what waves you want to surf. Lots of high quality big surf in Indo goes under-utilised because people think you don't need anything bigger than a thin 6'6".
One of the best examples is Outside Corner, one of the best big waves in the world people would rather sit in a pack of 50 at Padang or go to Medewi rather than paddle out on a 7'6".

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 19 Nov 2015 at 9:58am
samerubi wrote:

thanks everyone - some good insights there.
btw i am heading to the telos in august - so i dont expect to need a real semi gun.
i guess i was trying to tap into your experience with allrounder and step-up boards from the same shaper and has it made it easier to transition from one to the other in terms of similar feel, etc. in comparison with boards from different shapers.
i have to fork out for both before i go and wherever possible i try to make surfing easier for myself.
thanks again

If I was heading out to the Telos I would take my normal shorty and a bigger board. Chances are you won't get "big" waves, but sometimes it is just a lot nicer to have the paddle power. Especially when you have been surfing flat out for days and you're tired. A few of my mates who have gone there have taken their normal board and something fishy for smaller days: some have really regretted it when the waves turned on and they needed something bigger, others have thanked their lucky stars they did because the waves never got about four foot.

And if I was you, I would definitely get them made by the same shaper. It's something that most shapers get a real kick out of - shaping boards for a particular trip. And I would be surprised if they didn't do you a tidy little deal for buying two boards at once.

Pretty jealous sitting here thinking about being in the Telos!

samerubi's picture
samerubi's picture
samerubi Thursday, 19 Nov 2015 at 12:43pm

yeah, i agree FR, there is no substitute for length of rail in the water when it the waves are big and fast (and not oily clean).
DDD - yep been leaning toward getting two boards from the same shaper - i am hoping i get to use the bigger/better wave board!!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 19 Nov 2015 at 9:08pm

If its the Telos your going to then your normal everyday fav board is the board your going to be surfing the most, I've spent about 6 months plus in the Telos and surfed about 80% of the spots there and been going there before there was any camps/resorts open, most of the time you will be surfing fun performance type waves from waist to head high plus and even if you luck into a solid to big swell you won't be surfing the bigger spots because its when the solid swells kick in that the rare protected A-grade waves start breaking which still won't be huge unless its the swell of the year but a more high performance board with a little extra length is good for those waves.

Where you staying?

samerubi's picture
samerubi's picture
samerubi Friday, 20 Nov 2015 at 11:12am

hey thanks - good info.
After this thread and talking to friends who have been to the telos, i am looking to take three boards: regular everday HPSB squash, a similar sized better wave round tail, and a longer step-up just in case it does really fire.
i haven't put the money down yet but put a hold on a place at Telos 101.
it looks to be a relatively short ride to a number of breaks.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 30 Mar 2016 at 9:34pm
freeride76 wrote:

Sounds like a good plan.

Like Lost Doggy I like to mix it up....I want my boards to surf differently to I can have a wider range.

But yeah, very much depends where you're going and what waves you want to surf. Lots of high quality big surf in Indo goes under-utilised because people think you don't need anything bigger than a thin 6'6".
One of the best examples is Outside Corner, one of the best big waves in the world people would rather sit in a pack of 50 at Padang or go to Medewi rather than paddle out on a 7'6".

Just ordered a 7'6 Desert storm and heading to indo in about 2 months. I've never surfed outside corner but I've been you-tubing it flat out getting keen as fuck to hopefully get out there. Looks so much fun

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 30 Mar 2016 at 10:44pm

Go directly to Scar reef.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 7:07am
Blowin wrote:

Go directly to Scar reef.

Either there or Gland

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 9:13am

Thats pretty run of the mill , what about some adventure off the beaten track

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 9:32am
goofyfoot wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

Sounds like a good plan.

Just ordered a 7'6 Desert storm and heading to indo in about 2 months. I've never surfed outside corner but I've been you-tubing it flat out getting keen as fuck to hopefully get out there. Looks so much fun

If it's big, it's sort of like surfing really good big Winki, cept left of course:-)

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 10:41am

Indo quiver really depends on where ya going ... telos prob needs 2 x shorties and a step up IMO

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 11:01am
caml wrote:

Thats pretty run of the mill , what about some adventure off the beaten track

Did some adventuring couple years ago through Java, and surfed mainly fairly short, peaky, slab type of waves on my short board. Taking longer boards than I ever have this trip so I want to go where I've got a good chance of using them. Hence gland, scar, outside corner etc

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 11:03am

If you know of any big lefts that the 7'6 would get a run on over there caml feel free to let us know!

SA75's picture
SA75's picture
SA75 Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 3:19pm

This may have been covered in another forum topic so redirect me if so. But on the topic of indo quivers and larger boards does anyone have some up to date info on the airlines from Adelaide to Bali and the size board they will allow at check in? I have read the 2015 airline board fee guide but still seem to get differing opinions and experiences.
Jet star- 1.9m
Qantas with Jetstar links- 1.9m
Tiger- 1.9m
Virgin-?
What airline is best for boards over 1.9m and do the airlines with the 1.9m limit enforce it? Thanks

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 3:27pm

Been covered lots over the years , check every airline your going to fly with baggage rules......plane size for International short haul etc.

SA75's picture
SA75's picture
SA75 Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 3:36pm

No worries will keep looking into it, 1.9m is so restrictive and is unreasonable

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 6:41pm

Hey SA75 had the same problem when I booked for Indo for June this year. Virgin finishes up this month in Adelaide for international flights and it's new carrier Tiger starts tomorrow and no one knows what Tiger will do, as if it will carry our Indo guns like Virgin does or did. The problem is the A330 plane they use ( same as Jet Stars ) supposedly only takes boards up to to 1.9m..........bullshit they take longer, but Jet Star is non co-operative and won't budge, Tiger ain't saying so far and there'll be plenty of us in SA that want to take our real boards to Bali this year.
My way out was to fly Virgin to Sydney, then to Bali, all Virgin flights, a mate is considering Perth, Bali with them. The flight cost went right up, and in the end I booked a hotel package with the flights through Flight Center which made it way cheaper when bundled together.
Needless to say there's no issue leaving from Perth, Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane as they fly bigger planes......no joy for us though.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 7:11pm

Jetstar tried that stunt with me on a Sydney-Brisbane flight saying no board bag over 6'6".......they claimed mine was 6'7" which it may have been but the board inside was 6'4"! They tended to lose interest as the check in queue got longer behind me so it was OK in the end. It's just bullshit so delay delay delay, ask to see the clause in the contract etc etc.

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 8:48pm
Ash wrote:

Needless to say there's no issue leaving from Perth, Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane as they fly bigger planes......no joy for us though.

You'll have the same problem flying shit-star out of Perth, it's short-haul which means A320.
From Perth always use Air Asia, no probs with board length, cheap flights too. Unfortunately AirAsia don't fly out of Adelaide

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Sunday, 3 Apr 2016 at 8:47am
SA75 wrote:

This may have been covered in another forum topic so redirect me if so. But on the topic of indo quivers and larger boards does anyone have some up to date info on the airlines from Adelaide to Bali and the size board they will allow at check in? I have read the 2015 airline board fee guide but still seem to get differing opinions and experiences.
Jet star- 1.9m
Tiger- 1.9m
Virgin-?
What airline is best for boards over 1.9m and do the airlines with the 1.9m limit enforce it? Thanks

Air Asia up to 2.4m depending on the plane
check their websites

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Sunday, 3 Apr 2016 at 9:57am

Garuda are really good, don't seem to have board size limit

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Apr 2016 at 10:05am

Not sure if its still the case but Garuda used to give you a 20kg baggage plus around 23kgs sporting gear allowance ?
If AirAsia flew aust cities direct to Denpasar I think they would just about snooker the market.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 3 Apr 2016 at 1:14pm
udo wrote:

Not sure if its still the case but Garuda used to give you a 20kg baggage plus around 23kgs sporting gear allowance ?
If AirAsia flew aust cities direct to Denpasar I think they would just about snooker the market.

I'm flying air Asia to Denpasar in June udo and it's a direct flight. From Melbourne

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Apr 2016 at 1:53pm

Goofy whats day/dep date ? I remember reading casa gave them app to do it but didn't think they went ahead with it .

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 3 Apr 2016 at 2:18pm

8th

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Monday, 4 Apr 2016 at 9:44pm
goofyfoot wrote:
udo wrote:

I'm flying air Asia to Denpasar in June udo and it's a direct flight. From Melbourne

Your board is included in your baggage allowance
Just check on the model plane and the length limit for cargo

charles-barkley's picture
charles-barkley's picture
charles-barkley Tuesday, 5 Apr 2016 at 11:58am
SA75 wrote:

Jet star- 1.9m
Tiger- 1.9m
Virgin-?

Just read from my Jetstar itinerary direct Adelaide to Bali the aircraft is A320 maximum height of a checked bay is 230cm 7'5" and shows a picture of a person holding a surfboard.
Definitely depends on which aircraft but it seems this is the one for the Adelaide-Bali route