Good SE swell Sunshine Coast beaches?

carys.rhiannon's picture
carys.rhiannon started the topic in Saturday, 14 Nov 2015 at 10:45pm

Any advice on good beaches on the Sunny Coast to hit up for beach breaks when the swell is South Easterly? The forecast for next week says that south-facing beaches will be best, but as far as I can tell, they don't exist on the Sunshine Coast??

I'm new to this, any help is much appreciated :)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 15 Nov 2015 at 5:59am

The term 'south facing beaches' is a generic reference in SE Qld, meaning beaches with more exposure to the south than others. In general (and without naming specific beaches) you'll find they usually occur towards the northern ends of various stretches, as southerly swells experience less obstruction and interference here (i.e. from a headland, island, etc). 

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 15 Nov 2015 at 7:56am

Great answer Ben. Keep up the good work!!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 15 Nov 2015 at 8:44am

carys.rhiannon's picture
carys.rhiannon's picture
carys.rhiannon Sunday, 15 Nov 2015 at 8:51pm

Thanks very much for the info, Ben! Would you be able to provide any guidance as to which beaches might be best? Looking on google maps it looks to me that the top of Kawana (near the point), Yaroomba and Sunshine Beach might be good, as they are the northern points of long stretches of beach without a headland nearby to the south, and Kings Beach at Caloundra would be good because it is almost facing south, with no obstruction, is this right?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 15 Nov 2015 at 9:37pm

Its a short stretch of coast drive around and look its the best way to work out swell/conditions.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 16 Nov 2015 at 7:34am

Carys, we don't provide specific beach information, you'll have to work that out for yourself.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 16 Nov 2015 at 8:15am

:)

blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999 Monday, 16 Nov 2015 at 5:02pm
udo wrote:

Its a short stretch of coast drive around and look its the best way to work out swell/conditions.

Most of the best breaks on the SC are VERY tidal which makes the very time consuming. YMMV.

Think about Moreton island too.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 16 Nov 2015 at 4:29pm

Give Carys a bloody hand, you mung beans!!!!!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 17 Nov 2015 at 3:25am

We were waiting for your input Sheepio.

spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey Tuesday, 17 Nov 2015 at 10:49am

I've heard first point gets pretty gnarly on a south swell:-)

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 17 Nov 2015 at 11:44am

Come on Sheepie, where's the "go down the sandy path, take a turn at the crooked tree, past the creek that's not a creek and keep walking until you reach the beach we will not name, with barrels aplenty"??

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 17 Nov 2015 at 11:53am

50young.... No no no!!!!! You've got it all wrong!!!! Ya gotta go down the dirt track that's now bitumen, But dont turn at the crooked tree, keep driving, and wade across the creek thats not a creek, past the coffee rock and there..... That's it..... FFs man what you just described takes you to a break that only works in NW groundswells over 8 foot, and needs a 20knot or more ne wind on dead low tide...... FFS!!!!!!

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 17 Nov 2015 at 11:58am
Sheepdog wrote:

50young.... No no no!!!!! You've got it all wrong!!!! Ya gotta go down the dirt track that's now bitumen, But dont turn at the crooked tree, keep driving, and wade across the creek thats not a creek, past the coffee rock and there..... That's it..... FFs man what you just described takes you to a break that only works in NW groundswells over 8 foot, and needs a 20knot or more ne wind on dead low tide...... FFS!!!!!!

Bahahahaha ;)

braudulio's picture
braudulio's picture
braudulio Tuesday, 17 Nov 2015 at 2:42pm
Sheepdog wrote:

FFs man what you just described takes you to a break that only works in NW groundswells over 8 foot, and needs a 20knot or more ne wind on dead low tide...... FFS!!!!!!

Hey, that rings a bell sheepdog and 50young! I think I surfed there once with this guy I met in a beer garden, I'm not sure which, who wouldn't tell me his name but looked (and surfed) suspiciously like a bloke with initials GE. Heavy barrels bro, or at least I think so, we had eaten some suss looking mushrooms in our counter meal before heading off.

Also seem to remember needed a boat for some reason (but coulda just been to save the long walk). BTW needs spring lows and only on the slack otherwise the currents are too brutal.

Hope this helps carys.rhiannon.

GREGLVOV's picture
GREGLVOV's picture
GREGLVOV Tuesday, 17 Nov 2015 at 3:20pm

Try Currimundi......