Fitness/ Surf Rehab advice.

KR Beast's picture
KR Beast started the topic in Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 10:33am

I had a hip replacement 2 years ago and unfortunately a triple heart bypass a year ago, My health is now fantastic,paddling fitness is very good,did a few months in Bali for surf rehab to avoid cold Victorian water, things went well,no problems catching waves, albeit very slow getting to my feet,sometimes not being able to push up,poor feet positioning,but things improved quickly over time. my problem is now I'm home I am struggling and grovelling to push up and get to my feet,cold water isn't helping nor is a 4/3 wetsuit,am riding mid to high volume short/hybrid boards. Can anyone suggest or advise on exercises,training methods,coaches,their own experiences.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 11:51am

Great to hear you're on the mend KR. My experience with building strength and fitness is somewhat limited, but I did some work with a personal trainer for a few months (having never been to the gym before, I didn't know where to start!) and this got me into a good system of cardio/weights workouts, which has really benefited my surfing. Hopefully some others will be able to give you some more insightful input.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 3:44pm

Is yoga possible with the hip?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 4:00pm

Suggest you get medical clearance before starting any exercise program given your recent medical history. Any program you start should have at its focus injury prevention and recovery, i.e. you don't want to feel as stiff as a board the next day, in fact, you want to be able to feel good enough to back-up working some other part of your body. An injury prevention and recovery focus is vital because its consistency of effort that will reward you and improve your fitness.

Fitness to me includes the concept of wellness and by that I mean eating right and proper hydration. Anyone wanting to lose weight needs to remember 80% of weight loss is diet related.

There would be many professional PTs near where you live so you could start with them if your needing a task-master. Functional or cross-training would be the go. Keep it varied to keep it interesting and fresh.

FYI my weekly non-surf training varies between: 4-5 sessions of home-based yoga (surf specific program), pool swimming, push-ups, fitball abdominal work and bike riding. Have done the full gym thing in the past and I found it less effective than what I do now.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 4:09pm

Since uplift hasn't been around for a while I will try to channel him. Getting up should be a single fluid movement but we can break it down into three components. 1. Pushing up with your arms. 2. Bringing your legs under your body. 3. Standing up. So the most likely reason for difficulty is a lack of strength in one or more of these components. To remedy this try the following three exercises building up repetitions and sets as you go.
1. Start in low push up position. Push half way up and hold for 5 seconds. Push the rest of the way up, lower your body, rest for 5s and repeat.
2. Hang vertically from a bar and raise your knees to your chest, hold 5s and repeat. If that is easy raise the legs straight and hold in a a hanging sit position.
3. Dead lifts with low to moderate resistance. Google a video on how to do them as it is important to get your form right. Be careful with the resistance initially given your recent surgery.

Check with your physio if you have any concerns about the suitability of these exercises after your surgery but my guess is that it will be fine.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 4:56pm

I'd find a p.t and tell them your story and get them to come up with a surf specific training program. Good luck!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 11 Sep 2015 at 4:34am

KR try and find an article by BlindBoy's, called Muscles!

Great info in there, I just can't find it with the search format?

Good luck and have a focused positive mind and body will follow;)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 11 Sep 2015 at 6:19am
floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 11 Sep 2015 at 3:48pm

@blindboy, that exercise @ 2 above; tried it and managed to get 3 sets in ...5, 3 & 3 before I figured it was lots of hard work. Is there an equivalent exercise using weights & a bench etc?

KR Beast's picture
KR Beast's picture
KR Beast Friday, 11 Sep 2015 at 4:43pm

Thanks for everyone's help and support, Very much appreciated. Yes I have the medical OK and no restrictions except "Don't be Dumb and overdo it" and Yoga is Ok as I can't do any damage with beginners positions. A mate suggested Burpees as my biggest problem is the getting up to my feet,speed will hopefully come back in time. Blind boys article " Muscle" for me is soooo true,at nearly 56 and 2 major surgeries I relate totally to what he has written. No way will I give up and give in. Again thank you.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 11 Sep 2015 at 8:20pm

Those numbers are OK floyd so I reckon hang in there ( pun intended). Also there is no need to do multiple consecutive sets. If you are starting out do a set of exercise 1, then a set of exercise 2, then 3 and rotate them that way, throw in some skipping to keep your heart rate up and you have a good simple routine. You can do the knee raises from one of those things they have in gyms where you rest your weight on your forearms but hanging vertically is better I think.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 12 Sep 2015 at 12:50pm

Oh and warm up! This is really important if you have been sitting down for an extended period. The worst thing is to drive for an hour or do and jump straight into the water.

mpow89's picture
mpow89's picture
mpow89 Saturday, 26 Sep 2015 at 10:50pm

Kieser Training is fantastic, mixed with hot yoga classes if you can. Covers all basis for strength, functionality, flexibility and stress loading (joints and muscles combined).
I've had my second hip op done recently and this was great for me when I had my right hip done first.
Also look at boards with lots of volume and stability in the nose, will give you time to pop up and keep your momentum.

Smithy79's picture
Smithy79's picture
Smithy79 Tuesday, 29 Sep 2015 at 6:08am

Being PT i would recommend seeing a physio and a strength and conditioning coach/PT that can work together. A good PT can help but they really need to know their stuff for someone like yourself.
I also have done diploma in fitness which is working with people with cronic conditions, basically we work along side a Allied health professional.
While not knowing what state you are in exactly fitness wise, I would defiantly look at any mobility issues that you may have along side actual strength and endurance.
Best to talk to a physio first and ask them to recommend a trainer for you they can work with.
Good luck with getting back to ripping :-)
If there is anything else I can help with just let me know.

slim's picture
slim's picture
slim Thursday, 8 Oct 2015 at 6:30pm

Hi KR,
While I don't know about the bypass stuff I had a hip replacement 18 months ago.
Yoga is fantastic, do the gentle stuff. I understand the slow to your feet thing and realise that would only be exaggerated by your bypass surgery. It does seem daunting at times, taking off and landing on the new hip. Confidence is low.
Keep at it.
I surf with a guy who had a stroke and we are both loving life and surfing well for a couple of old boys in their late 40's. I can even pigdog again. Classic.

This is my first post here and I wanted to let you know you will get there.
Cheers

doghead's picture
doghead's picture
doghead Tuesday, 27 Oct 2015 at 10:13am

Rehab.. Take Small steps. Try a Stationary bike that Suits you. Get fit ball to sit on in replacement of a chair and change your diet. Greens, nuts fruit and no inflammation forming food. Try magnesium, chlorophyll glucosamine. No carbs, no bread. You will get better with this approach. I find swimming and pool work is also very good for your condition.
Do what I say and you will thank me.

KR Beast's picture
KR Beast's picture
KR Beast Tuesday, 5 Apr 2016 at 6:28pm

Just wanted to say A Massive Thankyou to everyone that offered advice,help and support to me. I'm so stoked to be back surfing at a level where I thought might not happen again. It's been a long hard time,but worth it all. Thanks.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 5 Apr 2016 at 6:54pm

Good to hear!
What training have you been doing?

KR Beast's picture
KR Beast's picture
KR Beast Tuesday, 5 Apr 2016 at 7:08pm

I took on all the advice offered to me in the above comments,from exercises to diet. Blind boys post about muscles was excellent, suspension straps were beneficial as was the fit ball exercises, learning some yoga poses, stretching was vital and perseverance out in water. And a positive attitude..Most important was the encouragement that I received and that people actually cared enough to reply.

KrisTopher's picture
KrisTopher's picture
KrisTopher Sunday, 15 May 2016 at 7:20pm

Hello. As a beginner, I choose the best workout plans for me where I get from www.myworkoutplans.net. It consists of 2 days split for 2 times a week for up to 35-45 minutes. You too can regain your best shape by trying one of their best workouts plans.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Sunday, 15 May 2016 at 7:31pm

KrisTopher pretty basic champ.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 15 May 2016 at 7:55pm

Kris T

Give Uppity a call champ.