Surfboard advice / buy / sell

mpow89's picture
mpow89 started the topic in Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 1:02am

So I reckon this forum has some pretty good heads wise old heads out there, and given the amount of people it would be good to use that collaborative info to help with the ever frustrating choice of buying or selling a board.

To start with I have a conundrum at hand:
- I have been very seriously toying with the idea of buying a Takayama Scorpion, as I have been diagnosed with an arthritic condition and last week had my 2nd hip op at 26 yrs old. Hence after rehab I will need something with good volume / buoyancy as my take offs will be a bit slower and rustier than expected. But I do want a nice manoevarable board for cut backs and basic turns so a full size mal is no good to me. Normally surf Winki or Southside, or Pt Impossible when I want something more mellow. I am 5ft11, 77kg, reasonable paddler and intermediate surfer. I have a 7S 6ft3 Slipstream fish at the moment (about 33L) which I will keep.
I'm flexible on price, live in Vic and happy with new vs used, genuine vs copies.

Any thoughts, suggestions or leads would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers, Matt

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 4:31am

Gumtree isnt too bad. Sellyourboard.com sometimes goes ok but i have used that for a few years.
I wouldnt bother with ebay for selling but some might disagree.
I hope the hip op works out well for you.

I just bought a kookboard NSP 7'2 As i put on 18 kilos over winter with beer drinking (im surrounded by alcoholics, so its hard not to drink too). Just to get surfing every shit day and not sinking my good boards. i know nsp's are kook boards but i dont really give a shit, for the cheap price i paid i reckon it will be really fun, beats doing laps in a pool to get back into shape.
Around here there are some good boards too going for cheap even cars since the mining downturn. Bargains galore atm.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 6:26am

18 kilos wtf....I worry if I go 1.8 over normal weight .

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 6:38am

Haha yep, well i just hope its not permanent with something like metabolism slowing down.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 6:58am

matt, check out simon anderson's mollusc robo. should be able to pick up one at one of the many torquay shops and will be way cheaper than a takayama.

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 12:45pm

Mate sorry to hear about the hip ops, hope it works well for you. I had my second serious back operation by the age of 32 and thought that was pretty impressive, but you seem to have well and truly beaten that

But I do know about getting boards to suit your changing levels of surfing. Especially in relation to the body not functioning properly.

My advice would always be to develop a good relationship with a good local shaper. Spend some time surfing with him and talking to him. He is likely to have a few ideas, and a few boards to have a go on, then work out something that suits you. Then the next board he can refine and make more suitable...and so on. That method has worked well for me anyway, even the one or two boards that havent worked for me have been good practical lessons and helped with future shapes.

Not sure what you all pay for boards, but my shaper charges 500 bucks (without fins), so they are way cheaper than many of the factory pop-outs

Best of luck

mpow89's picture
mpow89's picture
mpow89 Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 1:24pm

Thanks for the help guys.
Have spoken to a few local shapers (Cory in Torquay and Oke in Braeside Melbourne), will go again for a further chat. Looks like a decent custom would be about $780 - $950 without fins depending on carbon insets, plug set ups etc.

I like the look of the SA Mollusc Robo, looks like a good step up and/or larger but still manouevarable board for a surfer coming back to the sport...will definitely look into this one (probs the 6ft6 as I would think 34.95L is enough volume for my skill and weight?).

@ "Balance", is your shaper located in Vic? Would be interesting to hear their thoughts. Thanks for the well wishes, all good :)

Cheers guys

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 2:18pm

Go a secondhand board [ mollusc ] for your comeback ...$400 ish secondhand buys a lot of quality board .....when your back stronger and fitter go for a custom.
can you borrow a wider one off a mate to try ? often a board over 20 wide will make your hips ache badly when sitting .....something around 21 wide may be a nightmare on your new hip[s]

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 2:48pm

mpow nah sorry mate, northern nsw

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 3:51pm

Wow 18 kilos that's crazy groundswell, hopefully it does drop off!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 5:18pm

Beer isn't usually the problem groundswell it's the snacks that tend to go with it. I really am channeling uplift today so while I am on it, you can't turn fat into muscle directly but a good muscle building program will definitely help. You don't lose weight but you do lose fat and end up much stronger and leaner. So hit the gym, enjoy the beer and if you have to snack stick to peanuts.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 7:28pm

Thanks fellas, I will try to get to the pool and gym more often as well Blindboy, cheers.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 8:05pm

You don't need a gym just stop the beer.....4 weeks no piss ...not a drop, you will lose 4kg or more
If you put on 18kg from drinking with alco friends over 1 winter....that's a lot of piss
keep that up ...start saving for a new liver

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 10:34pm

Drink more, get a bigger board, more volume and run all the surfer fuks over.
They all deserve it. It might wake em up a bit IMO ...;)

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 12 Sep 2015 at 11:59am

Moving house away from here should help too. This place here is a bit of a ghetto, moving next week to a nicer area. We did drink a lot but not as much as the neighbours. It will be good to move and start fresh.
It was a cold winter for this far north too.

mpow89's picture
mpow89's picture
mpow89 Tuesday, 15 Sep 2015 at 12:21pm
floyd wrote:

matt, check out simon anderson's mollusc robo. should be able to pick up one at one of the many torquay shops and will be way cheaper than a takayama.

- Thanks for the info re the Mollusc Robo. Have checked them out and am interested in the 6ft6 @ 34.95L. Do you think that given the litreage the board may be a bit thin? Any thoughts on the DHD Sweet Spot 2.0 for the 6ft6 @ 36.36L? This looks to be pretty similar but perhaps a better step up type option for the time being??

Cheers

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 15 Sep 2015 at 12:39pm

You at 77kgs ....34.95ltr is ample..any more would be to boaty.

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Tuesday, 15 Sep 2015 at 5:23pm

Try find something with heaps of litreage for flotation but step down rails for bite through turns maybe?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 15 Sep 2015 at 5:31pm

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 16 Sep 2015 at 4:58am
grufnut wrote:

Try find something with heaps of litreage for flotation but step down rails for bite through turns maybe?

Which the mollusc has.
EDIT: my error Caml,step deck/step down rails,i thought it was reffering to low profile rails.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 15 Sep 2015 at 8:31pm

Those are a gimmick .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 15 Sep 2015 at 8:44pm

Caml, Mollusc a gimmick ? please explain ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 15 Sep 2015 at 9:33pm

Step deck is gimmick. Unfinished shaping job . Ive used them and when u stand on the edge its shit . Best to have that zone smooth so ya hands or foot doesn't get interrupted grip. Its a gimmick I reckon . Like who are we fooling ; its thick here but thin here ! Just shape it thick then do ya rails thin .keep it smooth so your toes don't hang off the edge