Which fork in the road did you take ?

finback's picture
finback started the topic in Monday, 17 Aug 2015 at 7:41am

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3282089/my-wild-ride-surfing-legend-pe...

The Newcastle Herald has published its second article on Peter over the weekend. A previous Forum topic on the book Thai Sticks and the withdrawn from circulation SOD (Sea of Darkness DVD) generated a lot of discussion re travelling surfers in the 60's, 70's and 80's

As Peter states "I did it, I got caught, I did my time"

When I reflect on my travels in the 70's, when it came to make a choice in the fork in the road, "I went right and not left"

We all probably know mates who went left once but then continued to go right and some who went left, left, left!

I believe Kelly Slater has purchased the film / doco rights to Thai Sticks. Should be a good movie / doco like SOD

finback's picture
finback's picture
finback Monday, 17 Aug 2015 at 8:46am

OK , I went left once !

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 17 Aug 2015 at 9:38am

thanks for that finback, a good little read that answered a few little mysteries for me

I liked how a cold shitty surf at dribbleton can drive a man to do almost anything to stay near the warm nice waves of Indonesia...I can relate to that

i went straight...buddha says take the middle road

and I'm not lucky enough for those other much more exciting roads

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 17 Aug 2015 at 9:29am

seriously in this age of plague like piracy and rampant digital duplication how can this sea of darkness thing be so hard to aquire?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Monday, 17 Aug 2015 at 11:20am

anyone seen SEA OF DARKNESS? Check the interview with the director, Michael Oblowitz, in the August Surfing World...interesting stuff. John Milius, director of Big Wednesday and Conan, and writer of Apocalypse Now and THAT scene, and long-time surfer, was trying to make a feature-length 'fictional' version at one stage!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 17 Aug 2015 at 10:46am

Word is that McCabe is less than happy with that journalist ????
Can someone give Pete the contact for a pro bono Barrister asap.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 17 Aug 2015 at 12:02pm
sypkan wrote:

for me I liked how a cold shitty surf at dribbleton can drive a man to do almost anything to stay near the warm nice waves of Indonesia...

Yeah, classic reading that hey, Middleton the bane of many a surfer, but also fun as shit when on.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Monday, 17 Aug 2015 at 12:27pm

Middleton's definitely been cold lately,with both lefts and rights and fun in a good wetty. I haven't had a winter bail out this year and the last part of July was effing freezing, 2 weeks till Spring.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 20 Aug 2015 at 8:33pm
sypkan wrote:

seriously in this age of plague like piracy and rampant digital duplication how can this sea of darkness thing be so hard to aquire?

Contact Mr crustt ,he may be able to help.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 20 Aug 2015 at 11:09pm
udo wrote:
sypkan wrote:

Contact Mr crustt ,he may be able to help.

There's a copy at Bobby's at G Land if you need another reason to go there.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Friday, 21 Aug 2015 at 7:18am

I'm surprised you can't get a copy in Kuta, I'd have figured those DVD sellers would have picked it up by now.

I have a couple of older mates that were hanging around indo around that era and there take on Lopez, McCabe, Boyum and their group was that they were not very nice people, basically a drug syndicate.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Friday, 21 Aug 2015 at 11:45am

thanks udo, blowin, crust

I should be in bali in a coupke of weeks I will try and track one down, if unsuccessful I'll grovel to mr. crust, surprised no one has put a copy on you tube etc. not that I've checked. must be some secret bro code keeping everyone in check

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Friday, 21 Aug 2015 at 1:38pm

No need to grovel mate, just spell me name right:-)