Off road camper trailers

simplefinsinlife's picture
simplefinsinlife started the topic in Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015 at 9:10pm

Can anyone recommend a solid off road camper trailer for under $10k...? I'm wondering whether to pick up a simple new one or search around for something second hand. It will need to be solid enough to do the miles to get around 2/3 of Oz initially (including a cheeky stop-in at Cactus), and do an annual trip to the Ningaloo coast for a few years.

Not too concerned for features I reckon we could make most set-ups work for us, but the following are essential:
- Solid chassis, axel and suspension
- Quality canvas
- Water tight, if not dust tight in transit
- Room for wife and 2 kids
- Compatible with a Pajero

Thoughts...?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 7:44pm

Fuck that shit.

Get a Troopy and tow a tinny instead. Go anywhere and sleep in the back.

It just so happens that I've got one for sale if you're interested ...... even throw in the tinny with a newish engine. ( throw in at a surcharge that is ).

Seriously....buy my Troopy.

2006, 170,000kms, brand new gearbox. Bed in the back, spotties at all points of the compass, under bonnet air compressor , rod tubes on the roof, roof rack for your sticks, great condition.

I've had it in storage without driving for 4 months.

Also comes with a quintrex tinny - 13 ft Suzuki 15 HP with less than 30 hours, trailer has 3rd wheel for easy beach launch. Sounder , floor and all safety equipment included.

The whole package for $32000.

Does this qualify as Spam?

Seriously....Buy my Troopy.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 7:32pm

We had a Heasllip for quite a few year and towed it with a Pajero, (93) It was built like a brick shithouse, it weighed a ton literally. Good thing was the simple way it was built, no special parts every thing could be fixed on the road, but that happened rarely as it was well built. Hydrolic brakes, so no paying for electric control in car, worth a look. Quite expensive for their age because they are well sought after.

hhtp://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/results?Q=%28%28%28%28%28Category%3D%...

simplefinsinlife Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 8:20pm

Cheers for the thought Blowin. We just sold our troopy as we just had a kid and needed forward facing back seats to get the bassinet/bayonet/Kim Basinger (whatever it's called) locked into... Plus, wanting a family vehicle these days... And literally handed over the best part of our savings today for aforementioned Pajero... Waiting on a healthy tax return to pick up the trailer.

Can't flaw your sales pitch though... A year ago, when things were different you would have had my money, minus a few bucks off the asking price...

Thanks crustt, had a quick squizz at the link. They look sturdy. If they're built well and sought after, good chance they'll hold some price too... Will keep an eye out for them.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 9:13pm

Forward facing back seats ?

I mentioned the roof rack didn't i ?

You could fit a half dozen bassinets up there easy....be a lot quieter as well.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 2 Jul 2015 at 6:47am

Check these out.........http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/results?sort=Premium&limit=15&...
Do your homework and pick up a good buy you'll get your money back on it, hard floor is good to get up off the ground, this one seems good value.........http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/private/SSE-AD-3478645/1988-CU...

simplefinsinlife Tuesday, 7 Jul 2015 at 9:01pm

Cheers, crusty, they look sweet. I'll keep the brands in mind for when the cash comes together

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 7 Jul 2015 at 9:34pm

Simplefinsinlife, my brother manufactures custom off-road trailers and makes them from the wheels up including the chassis and all the canvas work himself. He has a very good reputation but he's pretty flat out so could take a couple of months (more than likely 6 months) before he could have one ready for you. Includes off road tyres and Sunrasia mags, swing out kitchen, water storage, queen size bed up top and sewn in vinyl floor down the bottom, fold out annexe and anything else you want. Built to your specs.

He's based in SE Qld so might be a fair way away from you, but I'm pretty sure he could do one for less than $10k.

If you're interested you can get my email from Stu on this site and I can put you in touch with my bro.

No pressure either way but if you want a quote, get in touch with me.

Cheers.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 7 Jul 2015 at 9:36pm

PS Done many trips to Fraser and Moreton Is. in them and they're such a sweet way to go. Sets up in about a minute and having a big double mattress to sleep on is sweet. Best way to camp for sure:)

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Tuesday, 7 Jul 2015 at 11:39pm

Can I google search his name or company Zen?
Looking to get one in the next 18 months
Cheers

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 12:06am

My bro (Dave) said he's been having some probs with his website but you could get his details through this site.

I'm not sure how many he makes a year, he's only a small operation but I can assure you they're very well made and he takes enormous pride in his work. He does everything, from constructing the chassis, the sheetwork, the canvas work and the fit-out. He also does the electric work too. He's a pretty handy little cookie.

http://www.hirehq.com.au/business-profile/33516-a-trek-camper-camping-hi...

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 12:43am

you could always make your own .....
This is my second one .

Although i did go a bit over the top . full stainless fittings , aluminium hard top , 12 ounce canvas , custom recovery sled , custom everything .
Cost me a shit load of my spare time , and $10 K in materials ..... ( alot of stainless ) .
But in saying that its done close top 100,000 K's is over ten years old and spent atleast 8 mths on the beach front in various locales .
Only tips i have is keep the weight down , otherwise you end up blowing money on either fuel or customising car to drag it wherever . In that respect its imperative you get the axle custom to your cars width and run the same rims / tyres . Invaluable in soft sand .

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 6:51am

Nice southy , how about some more pics.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 8:20am
zenagain wrote:

My bro (Dave) said he's been having some probs with his website but you could get his details through this site.

I'm not sure how many he makes a year, he's only a small operation but I can assure you they're very well made and he takes enormous pride in his work. He does everything, from constructing the chassis, the sheetwork, the canvas work and the fit-out. He also does the electric work too. He's a pretty handy little cookie.

http://www.hirehq.com.au/business-profile/33516-a-trek-camper-camping-hi...

Also will mention, Dave has a few campers he hires out, so you could try one out before you commit. As Zen said, Dave's work is quality and can pretty much manufacture to your specs.

Agree Crustt, nice setup you have there southey, though not sure how long your mattress will last hanging off the back there.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 9:40am

"nice setup you have there southey, though not sure how long your mattress will last hanging off the back there."

So the dust covers up all the stains Ash001..;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 9:50am
shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 3:44pm
wellymon wrote:

"nice setup you have there southey, though not sure how long your mattress will last hanging off the back there."

Its not like your mattress welly ,to stiff to roll up

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 4:20pm

yeah , that trip ( photo taken at Eucla ) was bringing everything i could carry home . Hence the wetty box on the back and an additional double that size on the front ( infront of the usual detachable outboard motor / toolbox ) . I was fully laden and we were dragging 2.5 tonne on the trailer gross
[ lucky the custom V8 did it easy ] .
As for the mattress that's a queen spare , that usually goes in the hardtop on top of the trailers king mattress , or in the car if its just me , but with two of us i think there was about 8-10 boards in their so something had to give . I'd only do that on the highway , and if it going to rain ( rare in those parts , out come the tarp ) . As i said before when i travel i like to keep my boards invisable , locals think your a fisho .;-)
I'll try to put up more photo's ( thanks Stu , i need a lesson ) to give guys ideas , but i don't want to hijack the thread .

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 8:14pm
shaun wrote:
wellymon wrote:

Its not like your mattress welly ,to stiff to roll up

Haha boom yes in deed;)
Remember sleeping on it...?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 8:11pm
southey wrote:

yeah , that trip ( photo taken at Eucla ) was bringing everything i could carry home . Hence the wetty box on the back and an additional double that size on the front ( infront of the usual detachable outboard motor / toolbox ) . I was fully laden and we were dragging 2.5 tonne on the trailer gross
[ lucky the custom V8 did it easy ] .
As for the mattress that's a queen spare , that usually goes in the hardtop on top of the trailers king mattress , or in the car if its just me , but with two of us i think there was about 8-10 boards in their so something had to give . I'd only do that on the highway , and if it going to rain ( rare in those parts , out come the tarp ) . As i said before when i travel i like to keep my boards invisable , locals think your a fisho .;-)
I'll try to put up more photo's ( thanks Stu , i need a lesson ) to give guys ideas , but i don't want to hijack the thread .

No hijack it Southey;)
Wealth of travelling trailer knowledges, Love it.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 8:12pm

Awesome trailer to say the least, you really make something out of nothing champ.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 10:18am

Trying to dig up some photos showing different angles .
I have some photos of building them somewhere . Film not digital !
I might just take some new ones on Friday .

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 10:20am

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 10:00am

Like this ?!