Calling Zen or Brutus - Nobumassa Imasu?

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015 at 9:19am

To the fellas with a Japanese connection, have you guys heard, or even better know, Nobumassa Imasu?

I got hold of this Pat Rawson yesterday with sponsor stickers underneath the glass (Offshore, Dove Wetstuits, Rock Dance). On the stringer was written "Rawson for Imasu". After doing some 'net research I'm assuming the board belonged to Nobumassa Imasu.

You guys know much about him?

img_8063.jpg

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015 at 9:31am

Brutus is your man for that one Stu.

Rockdance is a big shop on the beachfront down a Shonan in Kanagawa (just south of Tokyo).

They stock lots of big shaper name boards and MC does a few customs for them. Brutus is friends with the top dog down there.

I have never heard of Imasu, sorry.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015 at 9:43am

Cheers Zen. Saw a photo of your new board the other day. Looks good.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015 at 10:41am

It's quite a 'robust' shape- ha ha! Now just waiting on a bit of swell:)

Top bloke MC.

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015 at 3:51pm

Hi Stu...he is an ex teamrider for Rockdance .....and was the distributor for Dahlberg......bit of a shady character.....did some not so cool stuff ripping off templates and working the ol midnite shift ....

had a blast with the Zen....

ross-a's picture
ross-a's picture
ross-a Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015 at 8:19pm

I remember him coming over to oz for some teams event in west oz (obviously for Japan). One of the other guys was Satoshi Sekino (probably spelt way wrong) who was the much better surfer. Must have been mid eighties or so. Just in your prime time Stu!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015 at 8:38pm

ross-a wrote:

I remember him coming over to oz for some teams event in west oz (obviously for Japan). One of the other guys was Satoshi Sekino (probably spelt way wrong) who was the much better surfer. Must have been mid eighties or so. Just in your prime time Stu!

The Swan Lager teams event at Trigg? Great, I've got that on vid somewhere, I'll dig it out - thanks.

Reckon I was sub-prime in the mid-80s. Most of the 90s and noughties too, if I'm honest.

ross-a's picture
ross-a's picture
ross-a Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015 at 8:45pm

Ha ha awesome stuff Stu!! The Americans included a young Tom Curren, who struggled on his backhand. I think Dave Parmenter was also in there. Cheyne Horan was riding one of those winged keel boats too.
Happy days indeed!!
Post up that vid!