Diamond Head

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Saturday, 30 May 2015 at 8:39pm
blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 30 May 2015 at 8:40pm

One of the best general interest articles on surfing you will ever read!

roubydouby's picture
roubydouby's picture
roubydouby Saturday, 30 May 2015 at 11:45pm

Great read. As much about being on the doorstep of life as it is about surfing. I miss feeling ways about stuff.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 31 May 2015 at 9:03am

Epic story.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 6:03pm
uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 7:17pm

Lots of interesting reading blinder.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 7:19pm

I haven't read them all but what I have read has been good. Have you been getting in the water?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 8:15pm

Nah had some a few weeks ago, not much though.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 8:19pm

It has been pretty good here (understatement!). It has been light offshore with good clean swell more often than not over recent weeks and the water has been unnaturally warm. You have to be lucky sometimes.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 8:23pm

Been plenty here too, plenty of fish too.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 8:33pm

Here's one for you blinder. Its the press, so don't know how accurate. Some argue Arnold was first. Doesn't really matter in the context.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1356679/The-Ugg-inventor-gave-...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 8:38pm

Yeh Shane has always had a good local reputation for being a good bloke and an honourable businessman. More power to him.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 8:43pm

Yeh, classic story! A long one too.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 8:51pm

Was the ugg boot Shanes invention or a S.A surfers mums ?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 9:07pm
udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 9:20pm

They are the names I was told [speed] by Kym Thompson many moons ago in Vicco...good stuff Uplift.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 6 Jun 2015 at 9:28pm

Imagine the stories JA would have.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 7 Jun 2015 at 3:36pm

Arnold probably got the idea for the soles from here. Huaraches were as popular as Golden Breed, and the car tyre soles were the best thing for our coast, with the sharp limestone.

http://www.huaraches.com/information/a-brief-history-and-guide-about-hua...

http://www.huaraches.com/information/the-beach-boys-huaraches-and-surf-c...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 7 Jun 2015 at 4:06pm

Wayne lynch once said that Arnold with his Oneil/Golden Breed licences turned over 20 mil in 1968 ..Phew ?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 7 Jun 2015 at 5:13pm

Yeh, I only met him when I was a kid. I didn't work for him, so have no idea about that side, business etc. From my contact and experience, he was really forward thinking, would try anything. A Branson type. He was really helpful, good to the kids, and because he made wetsuits, he talked about them enthusiastically, and in my case made me, and let me try different zip set ups, cuts etc, some of which are now common. Wayne Dale too had a massive influence, especially when you take into account all the guys he helped, Bucky, etc. Lots of SA guys did. Obviously Burford. Noddy. Habib. Kym Thompson had a huge influence in Vic. Punk was the agent for McCoy, back in the BK, Reno, Hackman, Warren etc models. Weasel and his Sunrise helped heaps of guys. Moir's Challengers was a classic too. I remember when Hugh, still get to stir him about it sometimes, and Ajax, the blond superstars were in there. Before Arnold, with the classic long john vest combo, it was funny. White Stag days.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Sunday, 7 Jun 2015 at 5:19pm
udo wrote:

Was the ugg boot Shanes invention or a S.A surfers mums ?

I recollect Shane copied what he had seen from a trip to South Africa.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 7 Jun 2015 at 7:48pm

Shit uppy my first wet suit was a White Stag tube suit.....no arms, short legs. When one of my mates got a long john, long legs, still no arms, we were amazed. How could you get cold in one of them! Before that it was footy jumpers and a fire on the beach.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 7 Jun 2015 at 8:29pm

Ha, thats classic. I had the zip up no sleeves vest, no legs. I got it from Doug Sunstroms water ski/car radio shop in Adelaide, where I got work after school. It was my first pay, and I wore it over a jumper. I must have been freezing. But I saw it in Surfer, so, at that age, and one of the few of us to have any wetty, that alone was enough to keep me warm. Likewise, a mate took over later, when he got an Oneill long john, then vest. That combo actually is still valid, zipperless, warm, flexible, with contemporary rubber. Arnold put me onto US Rubatex, and they made some pretty good rubber, easily the best then, considering the era and what else was available. Wax was pretty entertaining back then too.