'How to be a hipster' by Mandy Nolan

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 2:12pm

From Byron Bay Echo:

How do you become a hipster? Is it by accident or design? Do you just wake up one day and realise that you’ve miraculously transformed from geeky nerd into Mr Cool?

Gone are the acid-wash jeans and the Gap t-shirts and low-rise Converse; you now belong to a tribe of über-trendy understatedly affluent groovers who just happen to wear the same shirts, get the same tattoos, wear the same glasses and grow the same beards.

Social trends puzzle me. Generally the trend is around being an individual, about breaking free from societal conventions. You know you have achieved individual trend status when there’s a large group of other individuals all doing exactly the same thing.

Read more...

owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 2:35pm

I think I've seen my flannos come in and out of style numerous times, but do hipsters wear socks and thongs? if so, I'm in.
Haven't been to Byron in near 20 years. I'm assuming it has become a bit Portlandia, or has just continued to build subculture on subculture. Might be worth a trip.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 4:38pm

Hey nothing wrong with sock's and thong's Indo last week Haha.

owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads's picture
owgoodaquads Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 6:05pm

Yep, when its not quite cold enough for the uggys, the socks and thongs come through.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 6:25pm

I asked for a thirteen but they drew up thirty one.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 7:07pm

Socks and thongs in indo?well i know a guy who wore his socks and thongs around kuta in september during daytime,stinking hot......serious...........

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 7:16pm

I met an "Underground" ripper ( who's old man was a Sultan of Speed ) at a wave he stole the show at during a famous pro contest and had to bite my tongue as he shuffled around in his socks and thongs despite the tail end of wet season Indo humidity.

Whatever you're comfortable in I guess.

Still, it made me sweat just to look at him.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 29 May 2015 at 8:31am

Socks and thongs? Not really, but socks and shoes in Indo? Absolutely. Particularly in Kuta and other urban areas. Too easy to stub a toe in thongs and we all know where that leads.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 29 May 2015 at 9:14am

What about weaving through Kuta traffic at high speed in just boardies and thongs so you can show off your new full back warlock tattoo ?

I went to Dreamland for the first time ever yesterday....talk about your hipster hotspots.

More hipsters per square metre than you'd think possible. Mostly Euro hipsters - and don't they know how to lean against a fence next to a fun board ?!

So cool.

They had that James Dean daydream look in their eyes.

Chas Smith would have creamed his jeans to see all that squint eyed ,pouting through cigarette smoke ,post shred session vogueing that was going down amongst the top knotted IT crowd.

That's IT as in Kate Moss at Glastonbury BTW. Not IT as in Ravi Patell from the call centre computer tech back up team in Bangalore.

Sickaz's picture
Sickaz's picture
Sickaz Friday, 29 May 2015 at 10:51am

I think kuta, being somewhat of a holy pilgrimage for the modern hipster has become the epicentre of tragic fashion victims on planet earth. I was there two weeks ago and well normal people stick out like dogs balls.

prothero's picture
prothero's picture
prothero Friday, 29 May 2015 at 1:23pm

Kate Moss at Glastonbury, in the mud with gum boots : ) ,pretty cool......you have Russian chicks in Bali waltzing around with high heels, you have hipsters slinking around with socks and thongs why not throw in Kate with a pair of gum boots.....how about long songs and thongs ?

hem-stret's picture
hem-stret's picture
hem-stret Friday, 29 May 2015 at 9:01pm

flamethrowers and ponytails at ten paces

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 5:39pm

O.H. (original hipster)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 6:01pm

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 6:06pm

...says the self-proclaimed meme king of Swellnet!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 7:16pm

Coming from the embedded clip master himself ;)

Bali_vibes's picture
Bali_vibes's picture
Bali_vibes Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 7:39pm

Russian chicks in high heels in Bali.....I'll have Gili T with bare foot and bikini's on push bikes please. Not hipster, just rad!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 27 Nov 2015 at 9:31am

I'll take old birds in sneans down Encounter Lakes. More hip replacement than hipster.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 27 Nov 2015 at 8:39pm

What's a snean ?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 27 Nov 2015 at 8:42pm

Maybe sneaky jeans - they sneak up above your belly button.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 27 Nov 2015 at 11:33pm
davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Sunday, 29 Nov 2015 at 8:01pm
stunet wrote:

From Byron Bay Echo:

How do you become a hipster? Is it by accident or design? Do you just wake up one day and realise that you’ve miraculously transformed from geeky nerd into Mr Cool?

Gone are the acid-wash jeans and the Gap t-shirts and low-rise Converse; you now belong to a tribe of über-trendy understatedly affluent groovers who just happen to wear the same shirts, get the same tattoos, wear the same glasses and grow the same beards.

Social trends puzzle me. Generally the trend is around being an individual, about breaking free from societal conventions. You know you have achieved individual trend status when there’s a large group of other individuals all doing exactly the same thing.

Read more...

Just forget all that hype and surf. Its all you need.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Sunday, 29 Nov 2015 at 8:01pm
stunet wrote:

From Byron Bay Echo:

Read more...

Just forget all that hype and surf. Its all you need.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 30 Nov 2015 at 4:28pm

Q: How many hipsters does it take to change a light globe?

A: Ahh, it's a really different number, you probably wouldn't know it.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 30 Nov 2015 at 4:52pm
adam12 wrote:

Q: How many hipsters does it take to change a light globe?

A: Ahh, it's a really different number, you probably wouldn't know it.

GOLD!!!!!!! Fucking GOLD!!!!!! bahahahaha

Taco's picture
Taco's picture
Taco Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 11:49am

Abraham Lincoln would be turning in his grave..

I was unaware flannos had come and gone so many times..Seems I've been hip a few times and not even noticed..Although I remember I was wearing an old album shirt under one of my old flannos down at a dawn surf check one early winter morning once,and one young fellow in skinny jeans rolled up so his ankles were visible asked where did I managed to find such a rad vintage looking Nirvana tee from?..I just looked at him blankly and a bit confused and spluttered out "1992 mate"..To my surprise he asked me where the shop was cause he'd never heard of it before..

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 12:09pm

Fashionista hipster fringe have moved on from Santa Cruz shirts to iron maiden and megadeath. Fuck off!

Taco's picture
Taco's picture
Taco Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 12:35pm

What no more Ramones Tee's? ..I can't keep up,I guess I'll just keep wearing the same shit I have for the last 42 years and console in myself I'll never be hip and/or cool..

Maybe the "Urban Cowboy" will make its long awaited revival?

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 12:53pm

All those Motörhead tshirts worn by fake sun tan wearing, wine bar types never event Lemmy a penny. I'm glad that shits done

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 12:53pm

*earnt

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 18 Feb 2023 at 6:28am
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 18 Feb 2023 at 9:03am

Because he's the hero we deserve, but not the one we need right now.

Had some hipster beer last night. Fruity.