Three Months in Indo...

HYPSTERKRYPTO666's picture
HYPSTERKRYPTO666 started the topic in Friday, 3 Apr 2015 at 2:39am

Hey guys,

I'm heading up to indo for 3 months from May until August (I'm aware of visa's etc. etc..) and am sticking to a bit of a budget (3 to 4 grand). I'm pretty keen to head anywhere and everywhere and don't mind semi roughing it - accommodation as cheap and simple as at deserts would do me well. I'm already heading up to Simeulue, but what are some suggestions as to some sweet spots on the cheap? I'd be keen to check out telos, or anywhere from sumatra to sumba really! I know there's a lot of options, but to narrow it down a little I'm a goofy and don't mind a punchy left, but will also be travelling with my lady who wouldnt mind some crusier stuff!
Keen to answer any questions for some discussion..
Thanks in advance!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 4 Apr 2015 at 1:28am

I haven't been but Indo dreamings friends place seems pretty good in the telos group.
South Sumatra isn't really full epic like say desert point or g-land but can be done cheap in parts. Lots of lesser known spots south and north of the known waves.
I've said it before here but I had some minor issues there with beggers and people running in front of my bike, seemed like they wanted a payout for a broken limb sort of thing.
All of that must have been a phase as I haven't heard of that since.
Wait jambu, krui left, jimmies and karang are pretty good waves. ( the most known) all need a little sussing out to score em.
Some swear by banyaks some swear they are a hoax. But I'd love to surf treasure island. So playful and perfect. July Aug best time.
There's a floating house there that's a bit exxy for what it is but not a total rip off. You might go here anyway from similue.
You could easily spend 3 to 4 months just on west of Jakarta, that could work out cheaper. On those visas though you often have to ho back to immigration in Bali so you could use that as a chance to head east.
Seriously best bet is buy several guide books. They are a pleasure to read over and over again. Indo surf lingo and storm riders Indo guide are great.
There are literally too many options to list. You should choose yourself based on your style of surfing and tastes.
Hopefully Indo chimes in with some more info especially the ments and telos. Have fun

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 4 Apr 2015 at 8:54am

Yeah regarding the Telos a very good local friend has guest stay with him and his sisters at there home, i have known them since way back when, when there was no resorts in the Telos, and they are a very good honest family.

Their place is right on the most consistent wave in the Telos, a left called Churches/Mishos not epic or that hollow, but pretty long and rippable and still a lot of fun for all level of surfers, he also has a long boat to get to other waves and there is also a right in opposite winds about 20 minute walk away.

https://www.facebook.com/telos.sumatra?fref=ts (just send them a message and they will send you a whole heap of info)

Regarding the Mentawai's, all the info I'm willing to give is also in the latest Lonely planet Indonesia book.

HYPSTERKRYPTO666 Saturday, 4 Apr 2015 at 11:38pm

Thanks ID. Reading all your posts has been super helpful, I'll get onto your friend in telos asap!!
I said I knew about visas but I just looked into it a little further. Are you able to help me out with how Id go about staying for 3 months? Do I have to apply for a tourist visa then re-enter the country?
Your knowledge will help hugely!
Legend

indo-dreaming wrote:

Yeah regarding the Telos a very good local friend has guest stay with him and his sisters at there home, i have known them since way back when, when there was no resorts in the Telos, and they are a very good honest family.

Their place is right on the most consistent wave in the Telos, a left called Churches/Mishos not epic or that hollow, but pretty long and rippable and still a lot of fun for all level of surfers, he also has a long boat to get to other waves and there is also a right in opposite winds about 20 minute walk away.

https://www.facebook.com/telos.sumatra?fref=ts (just send them a message and they will send you a whole heap of info)

Regarding the Mentawai's, all the info I'm willing to give is also in the latest Lonely planet Indonesia book.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 12:50am

No. Apply for social visa before leaving. That's 60 days extendable to 180 with restamps and sponsor. Sponsors available east of kuta in many immigration agents. Or a friend but agents make it much easier.

HYPSTERKRYPTO666 Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 1:20am

Thanks mate. I'm still really confused as to the exact process of going about this. I don't really mind leaving to kl and then coming back in because I might do that on the way to Medan anyway..
Do I contact one of these agencies to get a sponsorship letter? Are there any websites etc etc?
Cheers!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 3:08am

You can either,
A) go to Bali without visa yet, get a VOA which is extendable to 60 total,max.
Then fly to kl and back to renew VOA.
B) apply for visa before arrival inbali. It will take a few weeks and Indo consulate is always busy and open less hours than it should be.
This will be a social 60 day visa but you can later find a sponsor in Bali. If you already have a sponsor friend you can do it that way but its a lot of trouble for your friend. Also the agents I went through made everything too easy. Such as bypassing the massive queues in immigration (5mins or less in there) while with a friend sponsor I was in there fore hours and back many times.
With a good agent I was in and out, back surfing the best barrels ive surfed that day, a few islands away.

So you don't need to contact the agent before hand but you need a 60 day visa for that.
He signs the dotted line and is now your sponsor. He will however keep your passport which with some indos I wouldn't trust.
You won't have to go back to immigration unless its longer than 3 months I think.

I've been trying to find my agents card but its not in my wallet. I'll have a better look tomorrow.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 2:01pm

Hudson Mulyono, manager, business and visa consultant.
+6281338908270
Or 0361 752598
Email [email protected]
Or [email protected]

Website bam63.WordPress.com

If you tell a few people about him he might drop your fees.
Its around 250000 each restamp from memory. A bit more at fingerprinting time, (the only one you have to go back to Bali for).
Have passport photos, with both red background and white. They will use at least 4 for a 4 month trip, and they get picky on background colour, sometimes its red sometimes white. No smiles.

Office jl majapahit no 63
Kuta, badung, Bali.

There's a few other agents in the area.
Its on a north to south road parallel with jl legian, to the east a bit of hub kuta.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 5:29pm

Great info there GS and ID
Awesome stuff;)