Noob surfer, noob poster

me9999's picture
me9999 started the topic in Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 6:41am

Hey guys,

So I had a mid life crisis a bit earlier than some and bought a nice starter surfboard. I've been down to Middleton a few times and hung with the surf class, but Middleton's a bit of a drive.

Mid coast has 1 foot waves now, is it worth the drive? Are one footers still good to ride?

Also, being a newbie out in the water I'm pretty aware of people around me and let more experienced surfers take the waves and I pretty much give way to everyone. Can someone give me a few etiquette pointers? I love being out in the water and I'd like to make a few acquaintances while I'm out there.

I'd like to get to know the regulars and be able to have a chat and all.

Sorry if I posted under the wrong forum. Any tips and advice will be very appreciated, I'm 32 and am very new to surfing, but I'm hooked.

Cheers.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 8:44am

hehe.. hi noob ;)
well all I can say to you is that if you want to surf and improve your surfing.. you just gotta get out there in just about any conditions. best way to learn is to watch what experienced surfers are doing. And I mean really observe.. you will soon see and understand how it works once you try and apply it yourself. Study the ocean.. be out there in it, feeling it, seeing how the timing of the sets work, where the rips are, the power of it ( or lack of depending on the swell). Watch how waves form and break and learn about wind, different kinds of waves- reefs/points/sand, understand currents and be aware of wildlife. get to know your board… paddle paddle paddle..get surf fit
etiquette/things to think about
1)don't get in people's way..
2) don't ditch your board infront of an oncoming wave ( unless its 8ft plus an no ones right behind you)learn to duck dive
3) be aware of the line up - wait your turn to get a wave- don't snake or drop in
4)be respectful of the ocean and other people around you
5) don't be an arrogant loud mouthed dickhead
6) don't wear strong aftershave/deodorant in the water can make other surfers nauseous and kill innocent fish
7)get in tune with the ocean
8) be courageous and challenge yourself but be safe( try not to jump off that rock only to land on another rock)
9)learn synoptic charts and understand weather patterns

geez just get out there!!!!

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 8:49am

Salty you forgot one thing. Have FUN!!

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 9:13am

true 50young if it wasn't fun we wouldn't do it! the best damned fun there is!!

me9999's picture
me9999's picture
me9999 Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 10:03am

Hahaha, cheers for the response. It was the best feeling, riding a 10 foot board from the sun and something surf class at Middleton, stood up for 2 seconds on a 3 foot wave, hahaha, I was hooked straight away. I have spent full days in the surf to stand up twice, but loved every minute.

You mentioned the line up, so as the wave is breaking along, those where the wave is breaking first have right of way?

Got to love my technical talk. I can't duck dive yet, but I've noticed that when the water level around you drops, that's the best time to ride the wave, as the water is pulling me back, I paddle like mad and then the wave starts to push me, I paddle twice then usually jump up and fall. Is that the right time?

Honestly, I think I just need to get out there more often and get to know different breaks and sets. I'm not too sure if I've got the right board, I'm 6 foot, the boards about 5'10, its not like what the beach boys had that's for sure. Would my board stop me from improving or will I just get accustomed to it?

Appreciate the replies, thanks again.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 10:21am

If you are just starting out you need a longer board that is stable without knowing your weight I'd say in the 7 foot range and nice and wide to make it more stable, 5'10" is too short to start on really. you will progress a lot faster on a bigger board.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 11:03am

me9999.... When I was a grommet, like back when Elvis was alive lol, I was obsessed with surfing like most grommets.... Even when I sat down on the loo for a shit, my mind would turn to crouching in a barrel :p... Suppose that's where the term poo stance comes from hehehe....
Anyway, just like Don bradman used to throw a golf ball up against the water tank and then hit the rebound with a cricket stump, there's something similar that alot of grommets do which helps development... Yeah, you're 32 and not 12, but in the privacy of your own home, no one will laugh...

Draw a surfboard using chalk on the concrete floor of your garage, or tiles in the kitchen... You can even trace the board you have..... Even draw in the rear deckpad (make sure the rear deackpad is correctly positioned - Even go to a surf shop and get a surfer to put the deckpad on......) ... Or just use a few "points" on your carpet if you dont have tiles/concrete...... Now lay down on the pretend board..... Now jump to your feet.... BANG!!!! Jump up!!!! Check where your feet landed.... BANG do it again!!! and again and again again.... Do it till it becomes like wiping your arse.... Your back foot landing cleanly on the middle of the rear deckpad, and your front foot about 1/2 way down the board.....
Once you are snapping up to your feet like a kung fu artist, with your feet 99% of the time landing in the right spot, you be amazed how quickly you develop in the water.....

And if the surf is tiny shit.... go bodysurfing.... Get used to the feeling of when a wave has grabbed you, and that feeling of dropping down the face....... Cheers, dude.....

me9999's picture
me9999's picture
me9999 Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 5:03pm

I was told about getting a bigger board, but I thought I could learn on a smaller one and not have to replace it.

Cheers for all the comments, the stance is a great tip and I will practice jumping up from the floor.

What's going to be the results of me using the smaller board? I'll have no or very little control and its direction I imagine. I've only used the surf classes boards, haven't taken mine out yet.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 5:07pm

You won't get to your feet. You'll have a bastard of a time paddling it and you'll end up hating surfing due to it being too hard work.

me9999's picture
me9999's picture
me9999 Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 5:36pm

Thanks for that.

I might spend a few more excursions with the classes and look into a long board.

Thanks for the info, I didn't really know what to expect in replies, but you have been a great help.

See you out there.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 6:04pm

How much do you weigh, me9999?

me9999's picture
me9999's picture
me9999 Monday, 23 Mar 2015 at 8:59pm

The wrong side of 100kgs.

Im slowly dropping weight, I'm hoping to get back to 85.

What size would you recommend?

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 8:33am

I'd say something around 7'6" and 21"-22'wide would be good or an epoxy around 6'10"and 21"wide.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 9:56am

50young.... Not a bad call..... Yeah a 5'10 just wont do......

If you are sort of fit, me9999, and also planning to drop some weight, I'd probably be a bit harder on you than that friendly 50young bloke re 7'6 glass board ;) ..... Best talk to a shaper in S.A, or contact a shaper online...
I'd give you something n the 6'10 to 7' range..... We'll go 7'.......... 7 foot by 21 to 22 inch wide and about 3 inch thick - maybe a touch more... The width of the board down where your back foot is - where the deckpad is - - I'd have that fairly wide - maybe 13 1/2 inches or so.... Go a round pin tail or a rounded square tail.... Now the deck, the part you stand on, should be a "flat deck".... And the underneath should NOT have a radical "concave".... By having a flat deck, and a very subtle concave or even a v bottom will give you more foam volume - which means more more waves for a beginner...

A shaper named Darren Handley did quite a bit of work for a big guy like you - a shit hot surfer named "Margo".... So he's got runs on the board shaping for big guys.... He also deals with alot of beginners....
So maybe contact him and look at customizing a 7 foot "margo nugget".... Here's a link;

http://www.boardcave.com.au/surf-brand/dhd-surfboards/shortboard-perform...

The other option is to get the guys at Middleton to put the feelers out for something in the above size range - something between my 7 footer and 50youngs 7 foot 6'... Secondhand might be the go... Just don't get ripped off.....

I hope this has helped.... Cheers.....

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 10:30am

If you are intending to lose a lot of weight, I'd suggest buy secondhand to start with that way as you drop weight and get better and more confident you can sell your old board and get something a bit shorter until you get to your goal weight and have gain some skills then you can spend the coin on a new board. Just my humble opinion

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 10:45am

Yeah just watch out for snapped boards that have been rejoined, or boards that feel unusually heavy... Best find a mate that surfs and take him with you when looking.....

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 10:54am

U need a 9-10 ft board. stop kidding yurself

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 11:22am

Something I've been meaning to ask for a long time caml....... 1 hump or 2 humps??? ;)

Alan-SA's picture
Alan-SA's picture
Alan-SA Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 11:51am

me9999,
mate i learnt to surf on the mid and south coast of SA, like the fellas have said that board is definitely not going to help your progress in anyway, and especially with the usual conditions we have in Adelaide region. Its kinda ridiculous ,Im actually curious who sold you that board or if you got it online?
I started surfing on a 7'6 mini mal, worked my way to an 6'10 fun board and now ride a 6'0 hybrid but that took like 4 years of practice and surfing in absolutely whatever conditions were on offer. for consistent learner waves middleton is always the go, but dont scoff at 1fters on the mid, if you had a nice malk they are perfect for learning to turn. do you live in south adelaide? or are you travelling quite a wya just to get to porties?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 1:32pm

What Sheepdog , Those waves are mal waves a 7"6 or 6"10 is still no good . Get a mal longboard for them miniature waves .

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 2:52pm

Yeah Sheepio.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 2:53pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Something I've been meaning to ask for a long time caml....... 1 hump or 2 humps??? ;)

Do you want me to tell you about a bag story around a hitchers neck...!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 2:54pm

Fair enough, caml... If old 9999 wants to be a mal rider, yeah for sure buy a mal.... But if he wants to drop weight like he said , take surfing seriously and ride a shortboard, then go straight to it..... get a shortboard... otherwise he might just end up on a mal forever.... I suppose that aint a bad thing....cheers, caml.....

ps - 9999..... get into some bodysurfing..... Not at boomers though hehehe..... Be totally comfortable in the waves without a board.... Don't treat a board as a life saving device......

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 3:20pm

Are u sure hes a he ? Im not sure ! Talking all those measurments and dimensions ? Hey im only learning that after 28 yrs of surfing ! ! doubt ol 9999 will take any notice of that . 9999 is a beginner with no idea , Get some coaching maybe do something so u can surf better soon. Those waves are begging to be ridden 100kg or watever its no excuse

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 3:22pm

@sheepio . Take surfing seriously & get a shortboard !

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 3:25pm

Caml, you write "Are u sure hes a he ? Im not sure !"

Hmmmmm .... 6 foot.... 100+ kilos.... Oh hang on.... 9999 is from Adelaide..... If 9999 calls Salisbury, paralowie or elizabeth "home", you might be onto something, caml........

JUST JOKING!!!!!!!! No need for hate mail....... ;)

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 5:15pm

A 9 foot shortboard it is...and 23 wide x 3.5 and
just fucken get put there

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 6:17pm
caml wrote:

@sheepio . Take surfing seriously & get a shortboard !

Yeah.... That's what I wrote..... Never ridden a mal..... Never will..... But hey, that's me.... I'd rather run around in the shower..... But some people like it, and good on them i reckon....

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 7:47pm

6ft , 100kgs and only stood up u couple of times.
Mate get a board at least 8ft - 9ft long like a mini-mal or similar. Nice and thick and floaty.
You will go absolutely nowhere on that 5,10.
Your going to stand up more often and quicker on a board that size, and surfing is a lot more fun when your standing up!
Good luck and have fun!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 9:31pm

Don't listen to those old felllas, they are all old fellas washed up on the rocks to say the least.
They all shape surf boar ds Me 999999999999,
The bigger the board the more money they make;)
Stay with your 5' 10"..... Go narrower say 16 '
It will treat you well mate, go with the short board and become with one mate,

Again don't listen to anyone on here about how to surf.
Swellnet know nothing champ trust me....

TRUST ME surfing take 20-25 years to learn and when you learn you will realise you met great people like me:)

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Tuesday, 24 Mar 2015 at 9:36pm

Hahahaha, nice Welly

me9999's picture
me9999's picture
me9999 Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 12:13pm

TRUST ME surfing take 20-25 years to learn and when you learn you will realise you met great people like me:)

Appreciate it. I've had some decent tips. What some say bare absolutely no consequence on me. I was born in Brisbane, spent my first years in Perth and yeah, I grew up in Salisbury, big fucks.

I got the board after my first lesson. I loved being out in the water. It was $100 on gumtree, so I figured I wouldn't lose out, regardless. I'll probably do another lesson or two at Middleton, get more of an idea and go from there.

I've played the guitar since I was 14, some people forget that you need to start somewhere. It took years to get to my level of playing. Some people are just a bit full of themselves, forget who they really are. 100 kgs at 6 foot? That's nothing, Paul Gallon must be about 5'8 and he would weigh about 120 kgs. Weight comes off, but ignorance sticks. Enjoy. Hahaha.

Cheers, I appreciate your advice, see you out there.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 12:33pm

Go for it 9999, nothing better than sitting out in the ocean, when I took up surfing again after almost 20 yrs out of the water it was like starting alover again. plus I was 125kg. i,m now 92kg and fit, health and lovin life

me9999's picture
me9999's picture
me9999 Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 12:58pm

Smashes you doesn't it?

My first day out I couldn't even push myself up by the end of the day, so I rode like a bodyboard.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 2:06pm

So 9999 are you looking for a longboard or not sure yet ? Bodyboardings good , especially in the beginner stages .

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 4:47pm

9999 stop surf school classes.save ur money for boards!get long,med,short.single,twin,thruster,quad
u have excellent free advice from some very experienced surfers here.none of em i bet ever went to any surf school!
keep at it,put in lots of time as everything intensifies as you progress(like music).you will get better waves,better manoeuvres,better wipe outs and even more stoked!

i believe Andy Irons said"surf all day,everyday"

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 5:09pm

And try not to get to the point where your grasping
at your fading surfing life..

troppo dichotomy Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 5:27pm

norchock i liked it the other day you talked about wanting to drink a carton of vb with some pro then punching him out!good stuff so funny.i'm still laughing bout that!!

everybody grasp sometimes!i am so grasping rite now!!
had a good run last 25 yrs.spent quite a bit on sex,drugs n surfboards.
now on mums living room floor(with wife 2kids)broke,bald,losing teeth,stinky,stiff,surfing bad
i must've done something wrong in a previous life no hold on,it was this one......

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 5:37pm

Yeah troppo but those young cunts would do me
now!im overweight and bald .I reckon I could drink more than them...then when there smashed
give em a thumb packed nico cone...that'll fuck em

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 7:41pm

Go see Kingo at Goolwa and get on one of his west coast surf camps, there'll be one at Easter if it isn't full. Good fun, you'll learn a lot from the others (all abilities) get drunk and be terrified most of the time you are in the water but after a few days you'll know exactly what you need to do to continue surfing and day st will seem a lot easier.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 8:29pm

9999 taking the piss or what?fucken tell ya what..
You sound like you need some genuine advice...get knee board...heaps of guys rip on them,theres ummm....ummm...ahh ahhh...oh fuck
theres heaps of cunts

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 8:29pm

9999 taking the piss or what?fucken tell ya what..
You sound like you need some genuine advice...get knee board...heaps of guys rip on them,theres ummm....ummm...ahh ahhh...oh fuck
theres heaps of cunts

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 9:39pm

Haha funny ! Troppo i hope u didnt squander any money haha ! Nico cone or gudang garam cone works too norchook

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Wednesday, 25 Mar 2015 at 10:53pm

Those garams will sort ya out there hardcore.

troppo dichotomy Thursday, 26 Mar 2015 at 5:02am

brilliant strategic thinking fellas!i'll bring the gudangs,got a fresh pack.will throw in on the carton as well.gettn headspins just thinking bout it....

haha was totally gonna mention a kneeboard!if u want to surf good make sure u scrape the all the wax off as well,its slows u down

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 26 Mar 2015 at 10:58am

Another thread that has descended into the bilge of good ship swellnet.... ;) Fuck it's hard trying to help someone...... :p

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Thursday, 26 Mar 2015 at 11:00am

Yeah SD, The guy wanted some genuine help look at the tripe being served up

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 26 Mar 2015 at 11:39am

Who knows, 50young.... Perhaps me9999 is actually shorris snickering away like a girlyman using yet another identity lol.... But you can only take a post on it's content, and not look for "ghosts'...... Can only go on the "facts" supplied.... And the supposed facts are;
9999 bought a 5'10 - That to me would indicate an interest in shortboarding...
9999 is over 6 foot tall, and is 100+ kgs.... That would indicate 9999 is a man.... (but hey ;) )

So, I'd say a "large shortboard" (yes, a paradox) would be the go.... Something in the range between what you and I recommended......
And I'd also recommend do some bodysurfing like I said, or take caml's tip and do some bodyboarding, so that 9999 really becomes educated on how waves break, without copping a hard board to the head... I've seen many beginners give up through injury due to lack of ocean sense....
Cheers, 50young.....

me9999's picture
me9999's picture
me9999 Thursday, 26 Mar 2015 at 2:48pm

There's always a few tools on any forum.

Cheers for the advice. You know who actually helped. I've got a much better idea and a few things to do and try.

Am I taking the piss, norchock? Nah. Don't need to with your IQ level, you seem to do that yourself.

Enjoy.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 26 Mar 2015 at 5:01pm

ohhhh, look. the kook is getting all uppity, questioning someone's IQ. well, enjoy your superior intelligence as you flail around and are laughed at and despised for the next few years till you give up and go back to playing golf.
here's some advice 9999, you're the lowest of the low and no one wants you in water on your piece of shit that you call a surfboard. man up, take it on chin and shut the fuck up.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Thursday, 26 Mar 2015 at 6:36pm

Well said chook..I just got home as my career as a
bricklayer requires such a high level of iq I thought fuck it...that stupid labourer fucked up
a bit today so we made him buy a carton..anyway
hows that knee board going 9999?make sure you
get some decent flippers and I heard once that waxing the fins is the go